Jefferson County Public Schools

Jefferson County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Bilingual Instructor
Spanish Teacher/Bilingual Instructor (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJune 4, 2015
Pros: Teaching students
Cons: none
Preparing students to succeed.
I learned to work with families, and to help them to help their kids.
Very goog management
Nice co-workers
The hardest part of the job is seen my students go.
The most enjoyable part is seen my students succeed.
assist and work with children
Martin Luther King Jr. Elem (Current Employee), louisville, kyMay 30, 2015
Pros: to see the results and the looks on childrens faces as they accomplish a task.
Cons: having to endure some behavioral issues.
My job has been to attend to the needs of the children physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally. working with children is a passion and gift that I have been blessed with. Helping to educate them and nurture them in their daily routines.
Implementing custom education, constant supervision of all students at all times, Quick and safe decision making
Para-educator (Current Employee), Golden, ColoradoMay 28, 2015
Pros: Bennefits, Schedule, Time off
Cons: Short breaks, Short lunch, pay, red tape, little support, little control
Day: Pick students up off the bus, and escort/guide students safely inside the building. Inside help, prompt if needed students to hang backpacks, coats, get lunches out/ order lunch take attendance, and start morning group. Morning group mostly Kindergarten curriculum. Date, weather, how many days of school have passed, etc. Then watching a book on the smart board or reading a short story aloud to the group.

Start academic centers. 15 minute centers. Reading, Math, Literacy, Speech, and Independent Work. Each student has their own educational/academic goals based on the Individualized Education Plan. (I.E.P.) I have to know what each student is working on, how to work on it, what prompt level to use and use a variety of modalities in order to keep their interest peaked, in order to learn this new skill. Run 1 full rotation then break for sensory input, and brain breaks.
Sensory input: Sensory room: Tunnel, Trampoline, Yoga, Bosu Ball, Scooter Board, Coloring Center, and Fine motor Bins. (Beans, Rice, Sand) Rotation 2 of academic Centers.

Lunch&Recess:
Lunch: Students with cold lunch grabbing it, and lining up, with others getting hot lunch in Cafeteria. Hot Lunch: assisting/ teaching my kids how to ask for what they want, promoting speech, grabbing one item, not touching other items, and only touching items you are taking. Also remembering to grab all needed items, Main Course, fruit, vegetable, and milk. Then grabbing other essential items i.e. fork for pasta or spoon for applesauce. Assisting in purchasing lunch, taking to table and clean up. Time warnings to – more... finish, clean up, then line up students safely and escort back to classroom, to put lunch boxes away, and prepare for recess.

Prep for recess: Due to weather: Assisting in putting on coats, gloves, hat, etc, when appropriate. Doing a bathroom check before recess. Helping with all bathroom duties when necessary. Clothing, wiping, hand washing.

Recess: Keeping a constant head count and eyes on children at all times. When a conflict arises, dealing with the conflict and all who are involved. Each conflict is different, depending on what happened and the students involved, the resolution and if necessary consequence vary. Time warning for recess concluding. Recess concluding and students line up. Escorting them back inside safely, after head count and all students accounted for.

Round 3 centers.

Specials: Rotating Schedule of Art, Music and P.E.
Led by the specials team with support of para educators to ensure safety and success.

Prepare for end of day. Students return from Specials, and watch a book on line, or have Drop Everything and Read. (DEAR) Time. Student grab a pillow, mat, bean bag and a book. No talking,quiet soft music without lyrics plays in the background. Free choice of books during this time.

Staff: Checking on students and redirecting to DEAR if students need. Preparing daily logs, getting backpacks ready, (all students items are in backpacks, and school info/ papers are packed inside) Fosters communication and helps to build rapport with families when information and papers go home. : ) Bath-rooming all students who need it. Then coming together in a final group, and watching a book on the smart board or a quick how to video/ educational on YouTube.com. After having students get coats and backpacks lining up and escorting students to bus or parent pick up safely. Hand holding is imperative on students that elope, and guiding others to ensure safety. After students on bus, going back inside and preparing for next day. Cleaning, organizing and collaborating with co workers. Short debriefing daily. – less
Good work/life balance
Consultant- Business Analyst (Former Employee), Golden, COMay 18, 2015
Nice place to work with good management who are bringing more developmental changes to make the processes more efficient that helps teachers and students.
JCPS with the right administrations is a wonderful situation
Cindy Butterfield (Principal) (Current Employee), Louisville, KYMay 16, 2015
Pros: Changing the World one child at a time
Cons: Leadership is at a premium.
I do what I love and love what I do. Teaching is a wonderful occupation. When you find something you love to do you will be very passionate about how you do it.
Productive environment, great employees, good working schedule when you have children
Secretary to Director (Current Employee), Lakewood, COMay 7, 2015
Pros: Many positions follow similar calendar schedule as students, Summer, winter and Spring breaks.
Cons: Benefits have increased in price
I enjoy the diversity, working with different departments, getting to know the students. Every day brings a new challenge. Opportunity to work year-round in some positions, school year schedule in others.
Fun work place
Spanish Instructor (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMay 5, 2015
Pros: Professional Development courses
In a typical day at work I would come in the morning, get in the classroom I was assigned to, greet students, then start the class following the curriculum. At the end of the day I will help with the school dismissal. Then, I will sit down and discuss with the classroom teacher to plan the classwork for the following days. This job gave me the opportunity to grow professionally and as a person. I learned new skills which I would be able to use in the future. At Jefferson County Public Schools I had the opportunity to work with excellent people from who I learned to develop new ways of teaching. I enjoyed coming to school everyday and see my energetic students ready to learn and be taught a new language.
Custodial
Lab Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 29, 2015
Nothing better then to wake up and go to work dealing with kids and cleaning up after them. Not a job I would want to go back to.
Productive & Fun WorkPlace
Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee), Louisville, KYApril 29, 2015
Very Pleasant Environment & Easy To Advance. The Management Are very helpful as well as the employees. A Typical Day At Work Is Fast Pace. I've Learned A lot . I've Learned Everything A Manager And A Lead Assist Has To Know .
a good physical job
warehouse delivery (Former Employee), Lakewood, COApril 28, 2015
Pros: delivering to mountain schools
Cons: not a strong team atmosphere
delivery products to schools

I learned to do my best in my position although there was not always support in doing one's best performance
Instructor III (Current Employee), Louisville, KYApril 28, 2015
My success comes from the acknowledgement from students and teachers that I am indeed helping them get through their day. I enjoy most teaching and watching each student grow.
Pass on this one. The job STINKS!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 15, 2015
Substitute teaching is an unrewarding job. I gave it my best shot, but years of troublesome students and inept policies by the administration have forced me to look elsewhere; somewhere safe.
diificult place to work
Bakery Supervisor (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 2, 2015
no consistency in anything they do, constantly changing priorities, never no what is coming next, too many chiefs not enough indians
I taught 8 years and also worked as a substitute teacher for several years.
Teacher (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMarch 25, 2015
Pros: The chance to make a real difference in the lives of students
Cons: Students who were disciplinary problems
The experience had its good and not so good experiences. Over all, the days were a challenge. The other teachers were experiencing many of the same challenges. I had particular challenges, especially as a substitute. in engaging the interests of the students. I was particularly pleased with the positive impact on the students I taught.
My years with JCPS were rewarding and enjoyable. I grew with each new job experience and also as I furthered my education.
Reading Specialist (Former Employee), Louisville, KYFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: daily interaction with students, teachers and administrators
Cons: somewhat depressing witnessing inappropriate parenting on a regular basis
During my years as an Elementary Teacher, I quickly became aware that the biggest hurdle facing students was learning to become proficient readers and developing a life long love for reading. That is why I decided to further my education and become a Reading Specialist. In this role I was responsible for modeling best practices in reading instruction and for providing professional development for staff.
The most enjoyable part my Classroom Teaching Experience was to see students develop as Proficient Readers. The most enjoyable aspect of my Reading Specialist Job was to see growth and development in the teachers that I worked with.
Productive and fun work place. Loved interacting with the children and parents. As well as my coworkers at the time. Loving and caring environment.
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee), Louisville, KYFebruary 26, 2015
Worked with children in all different areas. Music, Science, Math, Language and etc. Change them when and if needed. gave all the TLC in the world the children could ask for.
Working with special needs children was a joy, everyday I learned something new.
Tutor Interpreter for pre-K (Former Employee), Golden, COFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: worked nine months and had summers off.
Cons: deaf children tend to be very loud, and this can cause stress in classrooms.
A typical day in the preschool, which I worked at for four years, involved alot of basic transitions that all children need to learn prior to elementary school. This was exspecially difficult for children that had special needs. My title was tutor/interpreter, yet what I spent most of my time doing was teaching preschoolers basic sign language. This was the highlight of my day. What I most enjoyed was those "Ah ha!" moments when a child internalized a sign or concept for the first time. I was lucky to work with like-minded co-workers that shared my passion for teaching young children sign language. The hardest part of my job was when the children graduated and left the preschool, but I got lucky in that regard. In my fifth year with Jefferson County Schools I transferred to the elementary school and got to work with some of my former preschollers!
A day at JCPS
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: the students
Cons: extra activies outside my job.
I would arrive at work by 8:00am every morning. Set up my room and the breakfast nook. This was for children who needed a minute of my time before school, those who were hungry, and those who needed to adjust to a happier frame of mind. It was open to all. I would spend the next 6 hours implementing the day's lessons which I had spent at least 3 hours planning to go smoothly. My Classroom was a hive of activity and learning. 95% of my kindergartners left my class reading.
Exceleent Educators, Low State Pay
Multi-Categorical Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), JCPSJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: support, culture
Cons: 49th lowest teacher pay
JCPS educators know how to make the most of what little resources are given. The support, team work and over all culture is wonderful however, the pay is to low.
Wonderful mentors, management training, and flexible schedule
School Administration Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KyJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: schedule
Cons: i didn't want to be a teacher, so my opportunities were very limited.
I enjoyed the people I worked with and made some life-long friends. The students I mentored were awesome. Keeping everyone organized and on track was one of my strengths and made my days more enjoyable. There was always something new going on. Conversations with parents were sometimes difficult, but in the end, rewarding.

1 2 3 4 5