Jefferson County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Not a good company
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COJanuary 25, 2016
Lots of drama at this workplace. Manager will give you bad reference to other jobs that you apply for even though you left on good terms. Would highly recommend not working here
Great Place To Work
Clerk II - Health Services Department (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 20, 2015
A typical day on my job is answering questions from parents, clinics, and all schools in Jefferson County concerning the students health or their health issues/concerns.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help parents especially when their student has a health issue that really needs to be directed to one of the NPs that I work very close with.

The management at my job is great. I am able to do my job with very little supervision and everything that I responsible for gets completed in a timely manner.
New experience
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 3, 2015
This job is a new experience for me, nothing that I would have thought I would be doing. This job has its highs and lows, the high points are you have the opportunity to participate in the education of our future, the ability to talk to them and see what their dreams are, when you have children who miss behave and continue to miss behave sometime you have no leg to stand on.
Pros
the opportunity to interact with children and help guide them toward the future
Cons
to see children not grasp hold of the opportunities that are before them.
A typical day
In-school security (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 21, 2015
In a nutshell, my main responsibility is to ensure the safety of students and staff. I also work closely with those students who struggle with behavior issues. My level of communication with students allows me to serve as a guide and mentor.
Creating lessons and presenting information to students
8th Grade Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 2, 2015
Students can be challenging, but co-workers and administration was very friendly and helpful. Not a job for everyone.
Good job and benefits
instructor (Former Employee) –  louisville, kySeptember 23, 2015
Great place to work, the days off are great and you get a lot of good perks. You go in do your job, and your day is done. Nobody bothers you as long as you do your job.
Lots of opportunity for work, doesn't result in full-time work
Rank II Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 17, 2015
Overall, better than expected. You get a large variety of schools and students. Great for the beginning teacher. Little opportunity to get full-time teaching job with the county, even after multiple years of service as a sub teacher.
Pros
Variety of Students, Practice teaching before landing the job.
Cons
Doesn't translate into position with the county, some schools are a lot worse than others
Lack of support
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 11, 2015
There is minimal support for those who are actually working the day to day jobs. The district spends way to much time focusing on the mundane and ignoring the more pressing issues.
Great job to have but nebefits are not there
Sub. Bus driver/ bus asst (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, coloradoSeptember 10, 2015
Its a wonderful job to have except they do not have good benefits your pay is prorated for breaks and summer so if your single parent it does not work as well as hours aren't the best. Most of their employees work at least two jobs and you have to with this job.
Pros
great working with kids love it
Cons
dont back up employees and benefits are not there
Love working with special needs population
Senior Special needs Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  885 S Garrison st Lakewood, CO 80226September 2, 2015
Working with non verbal, wheelchair bound, autistic, behavioral defiance, SLIC. There was no typical day. You had to be organized and on your toes at all times. The staff needed to be team players with an open line of communication. Having a structured environment was one of the main goals.
I have learned patience and to watch a students processing skills.
The hardest part of the job was overcrowding.
The most enjoyable was interacting with the students, staff and parents.
Pros
making a difference
Cons
overcrowded classrooms and low salary
Fast Pace work place, Fun People to work with
Food Service (Former Employee) –  Littleton,COAugust 31, 2015
High energetic work place. The manager was great she was very supportive always willing to teach us something new. We were there for the kids. There was some politics you go with the flow. The best part of working in the schools you get to see the kids grow up how much they can accomplish . Working with the girls I worked with it was a great experience & the things we learned from each other.
Typical Work Place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COAugust 29, 2015
This is your typical school bus driving job. Early mornings then a break and then you go back for an evening shift. The people are nice and the children are fun to work with but that can very easily also be the hardest part of the job.
Productive and challenging work environment
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 25, 2015
Daily duties include transporting students to and from school. It is a very rewarding position which I love very much. I have grown a great deal while working with JCPS and have become a much better and patient person while working here.
Pros
Being with the children on the bus and watching them grow into wonderful little people.
Cons
Short hours = small paychecks
Able to provide great donatons as incentivie for students.
Home School Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Iroquois High School Magnet Career AcademyAugust 2, 2015
Enjoyed working with the Youth everyday was an adventure. Best of all giving them an incentive or motivating them to come to school as the right thing to do. Truancy was my main focus at the time, but assistant in other areas of their life's and families life if needed as well. Collaborating with co workers was never a problem, we all wanted the same thing the child to excel in life. Learn no two children are a like even if they are twins. Everyday was an adventure more exciting than the day before.
GREAT STAFF
Nutrition Service Employee (Current Employee) –  cookJuly 19, 2015
ENJOY COOKING FOR THE CHILDREN. Great days off and just love seeing the smile on the children face. They all tell me how much they love my cooking.
Pros
days off
Cons
low pay
Lead Instructor caringly attended to needs of children, guardians, and other staff members.
Lead Instructor/Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 15, 2015
Worked as a team strategizing, and teaching an age appropriate Pre-School curriculum
Recording student’s grades and other confidential information
Keeping accurate Pre-School records and grades
Fax student data to authorized party/parties
Conference with authorized individuals, parents, and principal in timely manner as data is requested regarding student progress and concerns
Pros
There was never a dull moment, and I loved every minute of it.
This job was very productive
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 1, 2015
Coming to work, punching in and starting your day was great. The manager and lead would always tell you good morning with a smile. That pretty made my day. Any question you have they was always there to answer. And in the middle of the day they would always stop by your line and ask is everything ok? Or do you need anything.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Bilingual Instructor
Spanish Teacher/Bilingual Instructor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 4, 2015
Preparing students to succeed.
I learned to work with families, and to help them to help their kids.
Very goog management
Nice co-workers
The hardest part of the job is seen my students go.
The most enjoyable part is seen my students succeed.
Pros
Teaching students
Cons
assist and work with children
Martin Luther King Jr. Elem (Current Employee) –  louisville, kyMay 30, 2015
My job has been to attend to the needs of the children physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally. working with children is a passion and gift that I have been blessed with. Helping to educate them and nurture them in their daily routines.
Pros
to see the results and the looks on childrens faces as they accomplish a task.
Cons
having to endure some behavioral issues.
Implementing custom education, constant supervision of all students at all times, Quick and safe decision making
Para-educator (Current Employee) –  Golden, ColoradoMay 28, 2015
Day: Pick students up off the bus, and escort/guide students safely inside the building. Inside help, prompt if needed students to hang backpacks, coats, get lunches out/ order lunch take attendance, and start morning group. Morning group mostly Kindergarten curriculum. Date, weather, how many days of school have passed, etc. Then watching a book on the smart board or reading a short story aloud to the group.

Start academic centers. 15 minute centers. Reading, Math, Literacy, Speech, and Independent Work. Each student has their own educational/academic goals based on the Individualized Education Plan. (I.E.P.) I have to know what each student is working on, how to work on it, what prompt level to use and use a variety of modalities in order to keep their interest peaked, in order to learn this new skill. Run 1 full rotation then break for sensory input, and brain breaks.
Sensory input: Sensory room: Tunnel, Trampoline, Yoga, Bosu Ball, Scooter Board, Coloring Center, and Fine motor Bins. (Beans, Rice, Sand) Rotation 2 of academic Centers.

Lunch&Recess:
Lunch: Students with cold lunch grabbing it, and lining up, with others getting hot lunch in Cafeteria. Hot Lunch: assisting/ teaching my kids how to ask for what they want, promoting speech, grabbing one item, not touching other items, and only touching items you are taking. Also remembering to grab all needed items, Main Course, fruit, vegetable, and milk. Then grabbing other essential items i.e. fork for pasta or spoon for applesauce. Assisting in purchasing lunch, taking to table and clean up. Time warnings to
  more... finish, clean up, then line up students safely and escort back to classroom, to put lunch boxes away, and prepare for recess.

Prep for recess: Due to weather: Assisting in putting on coats, gloves, hat, etc, when appropriate. Doing a bathroom check before recess. Helping with all bathroom duties when necessary. Clothing, wiping, hand washing.

Recess: Keeping a constant head count and eyes on children at all times. When a conflict arises, dealing with the conflict and all who are involved. Each conflict is different, depending on what happened and the students involved, the resolution and if necessary consequence vary. Time warning for recess concluding. Recess concluding and students line up. Escorting them back inside safely, after head count and all students accounted for.

Round 3 centers.

Specials: Rotating Schedule of Art, Music and P.E.
Led by the specials team with support of para educators to ensure safety and success.

Prepare for end of day. Students return from Specials, and watch a book on line, or have Drop Everything and Read. (DEAR) Time. Student grab a pillow, mat, bean bag and a book. No talking,quiet soft music without lyrics plays in the background. Free choice of books during this time.

Staff: Checking on students and redirecting to DEAR if students need. Preparing daily logs, getting backpacks ready, (all students items are in backpacks, and school info/ papers are packed inside) Fosters communication and helps to build rapport with families when information and papers go home. : ) Bath-rooming all students who need it. Then coming together in a final group, and watching a book on the smart board or a quick how to video/ educational on YouTube.com. After having students get coats and backpacks lining up and escorting students to bus or parent pick up safely. Hand holding is imperative on students that elope, and guiding others to ensure safety. After students on bus, going back inside and preparing for next day. Cleaning, organizing and collaborating with co workers. Short debriefing daily.
Pros
Bennefits, Schedule, Time off
Cons
Short breaks, Short lunch, pay, red tape, little support, little control