Jefferson Lab Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work.
Property Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 7, 2015
In all Jefferson Lab is a great place to work. A typical day at work consist of half office and the other half outside of the office. Inside consist on spreadsheets, working in databases, entering assets, talking to custodians (e-mail-phone), processing excess items, and other activities that might come up. Outside the office consist of operating a forklift, loading and unloading trucks, rigging, warehousing, picking up excess items, scrap metal collection, and other things.

Management at the Lab can sometimes be detached and not communicate in way that gets all of your questions answered.

The hardest part about my job is working as efficient with half of the workforce that we use to have.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I can use my experience to do jobs the way that I want to do them, with the help of some of the best co-workers that I have ever worked with.
Pros
The atmosphere is amazing. It is like working with an extended family.
Cons
Not enough upward mobility in the area where I work.
Productive and a diversified place to work at
Student Resercher (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VirginiaJanuary 24, 2014
Working here exposed me know lot of things , got to work with people coming from distinct parts of the world , got to know lots of stuff technically in the field of Semiconductors under the guidence of reputed professors. Here is where i got to know how to operate an ALD(Atomic Layer Deposition) machine , the intresting thing was we ourselves assembled the machine, this was the most difficult task but was really intresting. We also work on silicon substrates.
Casual environment, but demanding
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 23, 2011
The campus is impressive and the environment is casual. You can wear jeans every day of the week. Their compensation and benefits are above average and you get paid time off over the Christmas holidays. However, you can count on long hours and the expectations are very demanding. If you are hourly, this may result in extra pay, but if salaried and exempt from overtime, you will not accrue any compensatory time for working overtime. Overtime is expected because Jefferson Lab is in the midst of an upgrade to the accelerator facility and it is unlikely they have the resources to accomplish their goals.
Pros
casual culture, good benefits
Cons
long hours, demanding (sometimes unrealistic) expectations
Fun and interesting place to work
CNI operations technician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 3, 2012
Jefferson Lab is an interesting place to work with persons from all over the world coming to perform scientific research. No day passes that something interesting doesn't happen. Projects are always fun and interesting and the Lab is very focused on employees learning from the work they do.
Pros
education benefits, focus on learning while doing projects.
Cons
slow advancement pace.
Excellent learning environment
Associate Coordinator/Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 8, 2012
Limited upward mobility.
Lots of long hours.
Some excellent minds to pick and learn from.
Cubicle environment with little to no privacy (noise cancelling headphones do help)
A lot of senior personnel, past retirement age, limiting growth potential of many departments.
Pros
go in any direction you want
Cons
lots of nights and weekends
Excellent place to exercise your mind while working a job
cryogenic electrical technician (Former Employee) –  newport newsJuly 26, 2012
Jefferson lab is a excellent place to work. It provides a means to gain unique experience and work with some of the worlds best in this field.
Pros
excellent location, environment, very unique
Excellent Place to Work
STAFF (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 2, 2014
Broad range of interesting and intellectual people to work with.

4.4