Jennie-O Turkey Store Employee Reviews

Very friendly work place, with excellent managment
Laborer/Helper (Current Employee) –  Barron, WIJune 16, 2016
In the Barron Hatchery of Jennie-O Turkey store, the average work day consists of pulling freshly hatched poults from a hatcher, cleaning and sanitizing the room, and moving in new eggs to be hatched. This takes between 9-10 hours per day. I work with 5-7 people, depending on the time, so I learned how to complement their skills. The most difficult and enjoyable part of the job is at the end when I set new eggs in the hatchers. Its very physical and a lot of teamwork in involved to finish the job. The management is also very helpful. They taught me how to operate a power hand jack safely and quickly, to the point where I feel very confident in my abilities.
Pros
Physical, Friendly work place
Cons
Start time is at 4:00 AM
Enjoyable position
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIFebruary 24, 2016
Good people, learned how to process poultry on an assembly line and off. Learned how an assembly line works and the total process of processing poultry. Enjoyable. coworkers were mostly friendly. Management was willing to work with their employees when needed.
Lots of extra learning involved and enjoyed the greater majority of it.
Pros
cafeteria during lunch hour, friendly people
Cons
not really any cons
Family atmosphere
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pelican Rapids, MNMay 16, 2016
Management is hands on, and helpful. Long hours, but advancement if you put the effort in. Not many opportunities if you are wanting to relocate often.
Benefits
Hard working, and routine
Stuffer/Bagger (Current Employee) –  Melrose, MNDecember 15, 2015
A typical day at work includes, donning your personal protective equipment, getting into position with three other women on your side. We, will rotate our positions every half hour, as to not get to sore.
We will stuff a neck into the turkey and pass it on to be stuffed with a giblet. Then it will be stuffed with a pop-up timer and gravy and then pushed into a bag.
It is okay to talk with your co workers as long as you can work and talk at the same time.
There are other jobs, from beginning to end, all of which I have not tried.
The hardest part of the job is when getting behind, trying to work faster to get caught up again.
The best part of the job, is the co workers that become life long friends.
Pros
Good Benefits.
Cons
Many times, they are long hours.
Overall this company has great benefits.
Blender Operator/ Powered Hand Jack Driver (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNSeptember 22, 2015
On a typical day it was always the same things day after day

I learned at this company to just do your job, and do it efficiently.

Some of the supervisors were Power Hungry and Unfriendly

Co-Workers were some of the best of the best to work with.

There was nothing hard about this job at all.

The most enjoyable part of this job was making sure that all my
paperwork was complete and correct, and being able to go home
at the desired time.
Pros
When we would pass our safety audits, we would receive free meals.
Cons
Shorter breaks to make sure production numbers were met.
Not what it used to be
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Barron, WISeptember 29, 2015
Not a great place to work anymore, but is still filled with great people to work with. I have gained valuable experiences here, just can't get paid sufficiently to keep doing them there. I've gained management experience, and know just what kind of company I would fit well with after my time there.
Pros
No layoffs
Cons
ambiguious management
very dirty work environment
Driver loader opperater (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNOctober 26, 2015
It was a very hard job at times and the hours fluctuated everyday you never knew what time you would get home but got weekends off
Pros
cheap turkey through a deli menu
Cons
no breaks at work the only time I was getting a break was when I was driving
Enjoyable
Farm Manager (Former Employee) –  Verndale, MNDecember 18, 2015
Farm conditions are not like your typical office job, work hard sunrise to sunset, but very rewarding. Great people to work with at all locations.
great place for employment
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pelican Rapids, MNMay 27, 2015
great place for employment also friendly staff and management. I had a great time working with Jennie-O and would recommend anyone who is thinking about seeking employment with the company.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
location was too far from family
Jennie-O Turkey store
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Willmar, MNApril 18, 2015
I work the sanitation. every night we clean the machines.
i learned how to be good cleaner and how to work together
my co-workers work together. and they are kind
hardest part is waking up midnight
the enjoyable part is after the break time
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilmar, ARJuly 13, 2014
Jennie-o is a store that serves its employees with justice, it is place where different people from different background co-exist. The working hours is reasonable and fair for all the employees. We have a long breaks which we have time to eat and also relax. The weather at the working station is pretty good. It is Productive zone.
Pros
we oftenly get free lunch
Cons
the distance is so far from where i stay
Daily work
Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  Mapleton, MNOctober 24, 2013
We would start the day at 7am with basic chores. When they were done we would begin odd and end jobs that needed to be done for the day (these would include maintenance of things inside and outside of the barns, cleaning sites, and giving medication to the birds). Management was able to answer any questions that would arise and be able to explain any out of the ordinary task that may have arose. The hardest part of the job was working in 100 degree barn in the summer when the site had new birds. It was not very challenging for the brain, but defiantly was challenging for the body.

I really liked working for Jennie-O. My coworkers were great! And you could tell Management really cared for the birds and the company.
Productive and flexible place to work
Production Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Barron, WIOctober 20, 2012
Work in a rotation with 7 quarters in a day. rotating every hour. Line obs include working with a rotating blade connected to a motor which you use to trim thigh meat from bones and fat. Also running a drum debonner ,working in a cold 45 degree work place,damp and cold. Coworkers are american, Mexican, Somalia. The hardest part of working their is the cold and wet environment. Pay is not to good and hours well FT hours average for me is 36 a week. The enjoyable part is working days. Also the flexibility of our department. We no longer have Christmas parties or bonuses.
Pros
good insurance, job security
Cons
cold, no sick days or gain sharing
Good place to work, work hard and move up quick.
Electrical Maintenance Projects Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Willmar, MNApril 21, 2013
Direct maintenance electricians as production calls come in, fun, very fun to troubleshoot with employees.

I learned how to train and direct new employees that have had no electrical experience.

Hardest part is to have seven new bosses in seven years of employment.

Most enjoyable part by far is going home every day with accomplishments!
Farm manager
Farm Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MnJuly 4, 2012
Maintained three large buildings (30,000 Sf each) and automated equipment; cared for 45,000 turkeys and prepared turkeys for transportation, which included installing and operating automated conveyor systems. Started as floater serving area farms and promoted to manager of one farm. Operate,maintain,repair and inspect automatic feeding and watering equipment,Perform daily care of animals,feed and supply ordering,preparation and transport of live animals,animal carcass removal. Takes alot of work to manage a place for Jennie-O Turkey Store and all it goes with it. Alot of great people work there and everyone is willing to help you out. Care of the turkeys when they get older is the hardest part of the job. The best part of the job knowing you got the jobs done in a day.
Pros
salary.
Cons
heathcare, dental.
Jennie-O Turkey Store is a great place to work.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 8, 2014
A typical day for me is managing the day to day troubleshooting, and when that is complete, I work on projects. I have been able to expand my knowledge in different areas of IT in part due to the cross training that happens between groups. The management understands your career goals and helps align work and family so that they balance out.
Stable Job but beware of the "mafia" aka management team
Line Lead (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNAugust 19, 2012
Enjoyed working for the company. Biggest downfall is the management team. There is supposedly an open door policy but it was never followed through. Best part of working there is the pay and benefits.

An employment recruiter even referred to the management team as a "mafia".
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
management
variety of meat processing jobs
Supply Man (Former Employee) –  Barron, WISeptember 6, 2012
Generally worked 8-11 hour days.
Pushed v-mags most of the shift.
Used forklift, pallet jacks to obtain supplies needed for fabrication department.
Restocked meat supplies needed for production lines and machines.
Very physical job.
But the overtime was nice for the paychecks.
Pros
insurance and over time
Cons
work enviroment
Productive and enjoyable work area
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIJune 16, 2014
Great job that includes major benefits along with providing a lot of opportunities. I had no problem getting up and ready for work. You are surrounded by good people and are provided with a healthy and safe working environment.
Pros
opportunities and benefits.
Cons
other ethnic groups with poor english.
It was an enjoyable work experience.
Associate Food Technologist (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNMarch 27, 2015
There was no such thing as a typical day at work.
I learned all kinds of useful information about developing new products.