Jewish Child Care Association

Jewish Child Care Association Employer Reviews

Strength Based organization with good morals
Individual Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: good learning experience
Cons: paperwork
Within the Jewish tradition of 'tikkun olam' — the responsibility of every person to make the world a better place, working at this organization has allowed me to work as a team with individials dedicated to child welfare in New York. I feel supported and get along well with my co-workers. Although there is a lot of paperwork and challenges with clients – more... who struggle with change, seeing progress in clients and their families is very rewarding. Every day is different due to the families changing schedules as some days are spent doing field visits and some times working in the office. – less
Jewish Child Care Association is a great place to work.
Director, Bukharian Youth Services (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Jewish Child Care Association is one of the most solid non-profits.
Family Team Conference Expediter (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: no micro managing
My day consisted of scheduling conferences, answer emails, answering the phone and calling to conform appointments.
able to work on own timing
wsp worker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJune 10, 2014
Pros: able to work on own time
Cons: not funded
Able to meet kids who needed independent living skills that I was able to provide.
productive work place
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), New YorkApril 16, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: not enough hours
Monitored consumers progress and goals needed
created a homelike atmosphere
assigned to highly behavioral male cottage ages 15-20
Flexible work environment with great potential for professional development
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee), Bronx, NYApril 14, 2014
Pros: flexibility, working independently, professional growth
Cons: lack of support from administration
A typical day for me at this job entailed a lot of follow up calls to community health providers, updating clients' medical chart, managing client's medical chart in accordance to NYS/NYC regulations, seeing children for clinic-keeping them current medically, participating in family/team conferences (sometimes facilitated by ACS), training foster parents – more... on relative health issues to maintain their qualification to keep their homes certified etc. I learned a lot in this position, mostly mental health studies & diagnosis, how to deal with children & families who have suffered some level of trauma, and being not only a nurse but an advocate for children and their families. Management could definitely have been better coordinated & supportive. My former co workers were the best! We really grew to be a family. We helped & supported each other through some of the toughest days, and encouraged each other. We made our department! The hardest part of the job was, aside from the no raise in over 5 years and the ever changing medical coverage & steadily increasing co payments would be the lack of support on the administration level. The most enjoyable part of the job aside from the awesome co workers I had the pleasure of working with for almost 4 years would have to be the children & the families I had worked with and impacted their lives and/or eased their situations helping anyway I could all the while, maintaining their dignity, at least I felt I did. – less
Productive workplace
Waiver Service Provider (Current Employee), Bronx, NYApril 9, 2014
JCCA is a great place to start your career in the social service feild.
flexible work/life balance
Social Worker (Current Employee), JCCAMarch 30, 2014
flexible work setting,company culture lacks enthusiasm and motivation not a team work spirit.
Unionized staff, mediocre work culture
Therapist (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 30, 2014
Pros: decent upper level management, unionized (for what it's worth) decent hr department, nice enough coworkers
Cons: crazy/evening hours expected/demanded, all-women workplace
A typical day would be lots of follow-up phone calls and paperwork in the office, and then home visits in the evenings to families/clients.

I learned about the foster care system. Also, trainings were provided about issues like foster care, family therapy, substance abuse, which was helpful and appreciated.

Higher-level management seemed professional – more... and civil, which is rare for social service!
However, mid-level management wasn't too impressive.
Some managers seemed threatened by supervising smart workers and were then vindictive toward them. Unpleasant to say the least.

Coworkers were very nice, if not the most intellectually stimulating group of people. But decent, capable average human beings, and bright enough. But don't look to learn a lot about social work or family therapy from your coworkers, it's a somewhat mediocre, if good-natured bunch.

An interesting aspect is that the office is overwhelmingly women. It would be like 38 female workers and 2 men. This affected the dynamics of the workplace. To be honest, I don't think an all-female (or mostly female) workplace is the best environment. It could get catty and gossipy at times. This was a minus.

The hardest part of the job was that the home visits were almost all done in the evenings, as the families were working families. Yet we were expected to be at work during the day as well. So basically, you're working all day and all evening!
Yes, there was a comp time system, but there was some resistance on the part of management to workers always taking/using their comp time.

So in the end, you are going to feel exploited.
Not to mention that you can't have a life - what with working, morning, noon, and night.
I don't know how parents with children manage this job.
To be honest, no one should have to work these kinds of hours - being out almost every evening on a home visit.
Very unfair. – less
The Brooklyn location is better to work for than the Bronx location. There is not a lot of support for the workers and no case aides.
Case Planner (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: many jewish holidays and breaks, consistent paycheck, and an interesting learning experience
Cons: treated as a workhorse, minimal support, minimal guidance
Work typically was very difficult and stressful, like most human service positions, however, support in the office I was in was minimal.

I learned a lot from this job, and as a result, became prepared for any other job that I will receive in life.

The management showed favortism and often times was not supportive with the social work and case work – more... staff.

The hardest part of the job was not being supported enough and being thrown into situations without adequate guidance. Also, balancing time management with the demands of the agency with the paperwork. I had an extremely difficult caseload and was often asked to do work beyond the requirements of my job descriiption.

Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the positive progression with the families and the trainings. – less
Supportive Environment
Recruiter / Trainer / PDR Caller (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 15, 2013
Pros: job flexibility / management support
Cons: job flexibility
I conducted outreach calls, gathered information, imput date in system, conducted home visits, and prepare for presentation and trainings. I learned professional skills that would enhance my ablilities established professional relationship with co-worker and other providers and respect and served clients. The co-worker are very supportive. Recruiting – more... prospective foster parents for adolescent placement is hard because of the stigma associated with teens. I enjoyed the job when prospective foster parent become certified foster parents. – less
JCCA
Waiver Service Provider (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 16, 2013
Pros: travel
one on one counseling with at risk youth
I learned that everyone needs encouragement
Co workers were supportive
The hardest part of the job was terminating cases with families
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing youth respond to the services
Wonderful learning experience
Waiver Service Provider Manager (Current Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 25, 2013
JCCA had afforded me the great opportunity to develop professionally and sharpen my clinical skills along with many other skills which include: organization, crisis management and leadership. The most challenging part of my job has been working with 150+ cases while supervising 45+ workers.
Social workers are very friendly and polite and helpful
Skill Builder, Respite Care, Family Support Serv (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: not enough hours
a typical day at work is very rewarding the moment you start your journey to a clients home. Although the children are labeled with emotional problems, they are very vibrant, intelligent and smart youngsters. if a person working this position fail to learn something from these children, then they have failed in their mission. There are no hard parts – more... to this job! just like all kids they have their good days and their bad, but a good rapport goes along way. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that on your way home from a client's residence, you may have ultimately changed the future of a child for the better. – less
good place but hard work
Psychologist (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
hard work for all, emotionally draining. But rewarding. the work is not for everyone.
my co-workers are very helpful
Support, coach, children and their caregivers (Former Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 9, 2013
The hardest part of the job is conductiong home visit at night.
Safe but fun enviorment to enjoy
Youth Advocate (Former Employee), Pleasantville,NYJuly 31, 2013
Have weekly breifing with clinical teams and recreation couselor to plan out activaties for youth upon campus as well as meet with administrators and directors to maintain a safe and structured enviorment.
Walk around to various program to discuss troubled youth behavior and how we can bring them back to a positive setting.
The hardest part of the job – more... is for some of the staff to work with and for them not to really have an understanding on the kid and whats the inner problem with them.
The most enjoyable part was to spend time with the kids and go out on recreation trips and watch the kids be them. – less
family like atmosphere!
Program Development Specialist/ Contract Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2013
Great environment to work in, especially back office. Everyone is really friendly and available to help each other out.
Support is important
Youth Development Coordinator (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 22, 2013
Pros: support, staff activities to boost morale
Cons: long hours, working weekends
The Jewish Child Care Association (JCCA) is a nonprofit foster care and adoption agency. I have been employed with JCCA since 2007. Most of my professional growth has taken place in the 6 years that I have worked at JCCA. I believe JCCA is great organization for many reasons. The most important reason is because supervisors provide a great deal of support – more... to their staff such as taking on tasks that are out of the supervisors job description when needed, checking in on staff throughout the day and providing an open door policy that allows staff to give feedback about the work.
As a youth development coordinator a typical day at JCCA can get very busy because of staff meetings, case conferences for and with clients, facilitating monthly workshops for youth, events in the community, etc. The part of my job that provides me with the most joy is advocating for the youth I work with because the youth that I work with find it difficult to have a voice or are still looking for their voice. I enjoy advocating on their behalf and helping them find their voice. I also enjoy working within committees with staff on all levels to improve the work. The most difficult part of my job is seeing children in the foster care system with families. – less
A learning experience
Milieu Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 14, 2013
I have learn a lot working at this environment. There were many tasks at hand while working with the children. It was always a intense day at work as you dealt with the different personalities of the young youth. I learn a lot from the young indivdiuals that i had the pleasure od working with it.