Jewish Child Care Association

Jewish Child Care Association Employer Reviews

Great place to work at
Family Caregiver Support (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2015
JCCA is a great company to work for. Not only you learn from others and your supervisor but you enjoy doing learning from your clients.
Working with Superhero's
Job Coach (Current Employee), White Plains, NYFebruary 14, 2015
When working with other people, there is never a 'typical day'; especially when you are working with part of the disabled community. While working with the Jewish Child Care Association (JCCA), my superiors and co-workers have taught me a multitude of skills that i use when faced with a situation. The JCCA is an open environment where the teens/young adults always come first and when a co-worker is struggling we all chip in and help resolve the problem.
Great work environment and provides opportunity for professional growth.
Intensive in Home Worker (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2015
As an IIH, I am provided with a flexable work schedule. The supervision is very helpful in providing me with the ability to effectively meet the cllient needs. Supporting staff work well together in identifying and addressing the needs of the clients. What is most rewarding about my work with JCCA, is being able to positively effect the lives of the children and families I am able to service.
great place
Program Director (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: lots of time offered
Cons: fast paced
The company provides you a lot of opportunity to grow and move up in your professional career.
productive work place with a diverse culture.
Health Care Integrator (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 15, 2014
Pros: diverse, and great experience
Cons: paper work and management
productive work place with a diverse culture. co-workers are diverse and supportive. the hardest part of the job is engagement of the clients and paper work. the most enjoyable part of the job is helping and changing life of others for the better.
very friendly and pleasant environment to work in.
Social Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 10, 2014
Pros: job referral bonus
Cons: long hours
The work entails frequent documentation and followup visits with families. I learned to multitask and work as a team player. The hardest part of the job is not having enough public resources to help clients. The most rewarding part of the job is to see clients succeed.
Inhumane work environment
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 8, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: everything else
This was the most stressful job I have had in over 20 years of employment. Co-workers are the only positive aspect of the job. Turnover rate - at least for the BSFT program - is appallingly high, with good reason. Overall: there is a problematic attempt to merge Child Welfare with a one-size-fits-all, trendy, evidence-based treatment called Brief Strategic Family Therapy. The treatment modality is not appropriate for the majority of the population JCCA works with in NYC, as the research backing it up is not based on work with this population, and one is trying to serve two masters - ACS (the Administration for Children's Services) and BSFT, based at the University of Miami - with the result of pleasing neither. Also, workers are expected to complete paperwork on evenings and weekends for no pay, because the 35 paid hours during the week aren't nearly enough to put a dent in the expected workload. The pay isn't high enough to compensate for this, as it is starvation wages for NYC. The work is stressful: in-home family therapy (commuting all over Brooklyn, in itself, is exhausting and chaotic) for families who are usually forced - either court-mandated, or strong-armed by ACS - into having family therapy. They don't want the therapy and they don't want the therapist to be in their homes. With that said, the families I worked with were extremely gracious toward me as they tolerated having a service pressed on them that often clashed with their cultural values and appeared to make them feel condescended to. Some made good progress as they tolerated the family therapy and were able – more... to do some work to improve their dynamics. Other families I essentially had to chase down via phone calls, texts, and drop-in visits for up to 5 months, even after they said "No" to our services. This was in order to fulfill ACS and BSFT requirements which often do not take the needs of particular families into consideration but are pushing an agenda, attentive to issues of liability over anything else. The worst part of this job, though, was dealing with the management. My clinical supervisor did not have a Master's degree (which in itself is fine, but not if you have a Master's and require a licensed clinician to supervise you) and spoke to me in an insulting, verbally abusive manner, even laughing at me during supervision sessions. She aggressively micromanaged - via emails, calls to my home before I had to be at work, etc. - and rarely if ever said a supportive, non-critical word. She made it clear that I needed to take work home, even over holiday weekends, even though I am a parent, and reprimanded me if I didn't. I felt harrassed and woke in the middle of the night worried about overdue progress notes, etc. This was not helped by the fact that the individual notes are more like graduate-level papers (mine were usually 2-3 pages in length for each session I conducted, and were returned to me full of crossouts and corrections more appropriate to third-grade homework) and that's not to mention massive, recurrent ACS paperwork. I tried speaking to my supervisor more than once about what I expected and needed from supervision, how a little encouragement was perhaps necessary to keep me functioning productively. Any attempt to improve our working relationship met with silence and more criticism. When I spoke to my supervisor's boss, she basically told me to suck it up.

My main critique of this job is that the work environment is inhumane. There is a pressing need in this field for clinicians to be able to engage in self-care (i.e., NOT working during their time off, nor stressing out to the point of tears during a typical day at work) in order to effectively perform the work they do, and JCCA does not hold this value for its workers. In case it appears that this review is just sour grapes from a bad worker, I will add that my BSFT supervisor - the one who actually viewed videos of my work with families - gave my clinical work high marks. JCCA is unfortunately driving away good clinicians and will continue to do so unless they make serious changes to management and perhaps rethink partnerships with evidence-based models - or at least, hire enough staff to tackle the resulting doubled workload, rather than expecting staff to work themselves into a nervous breakdown. – less
Disorganized
NSP Resident Supervisor (Former Employee), new york,nyNovember 1, 2014
Pros: helping kids in program realize their worth and full potential
Cons: poor work/life balancee
Poor upper management, lack of communication, lack of training, and lack of team player environment. Management can use more appreciation for staff overall
Poductive and great place to learn new skills
Waiver Service Provider (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: healthcare
My job requires me to work directly with clients and their families rather than in the office. I provide services to better the client/ families to develop skills so they can be self suffient effectively. I have learned skills not only to help my clients that I can also use in my life. Managent is always encouraging and also helpful. the hardest part of my job is not having more hours to reach clients goals sooner and possibly more effectively. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satifaction of a pleased client.
Supportive workplace
Social Work Therapist (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 29, 2014
JCCA is a supportive workplace. It is fast paced, though the environment ensures employees have appropriate support to provide services to youth and families. Managing trauma on a daily basis can be difficult and locating appropriate services for youth can be frustrating.
The Gateways program is very unprofessional
Milieu Counselor (Current Employee), pleasantville, NYAugust 21, 2014
It seems as though you have to deal with the drama of the management and supervisors more than the residents. The residents are the blessing although it can be very stressful and the burn out rate may be high.
Strength Based organization with good morals
Individual Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: good learning experience
Cons: paperwork
Within the Jewish tradition of 'tikkun olam' — the responsibility of every person to make the world a better place, working at this organization has allowed me to work as a team with individials dedicated to child welfare in New York. I feel supported and get along well with my co-workers. Although there is a lot of paperwork and challenges with clients who struggle with change, seeing progress in clients and their families is very rewarding. Every day is different due to the families changing schedules as some days are spent doing field visits and some times working in the office.
Jewish Child Care Association is a great place to work.
Director, Bukharian Youth Services (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Jewish Child Care Association is one of the most solid non-profits.
Family Team Conference Expediter (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: no micro managing
My day consisted of scheduling conferences, answer emails, answering the phone and calling to conform appointments.
able to work on own timing
wsp worker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJune 10, 2014
Pros: able to work on own time
Cons: not funded
Able to meet kids who needed independent living skills that I was able to provide.
productive work place
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), New YorkApril 16, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: not enough hours
Monitored consumers progress and goals needed
created a homelike atmosphere
assigned to highly behavioral male cottage ages 15-20
Flexible work environment with great potential for professional development
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee), Bronx, NYApril 14, 2014
Pros: flexibility, working independently, professional growth
Cons: lack of support from administration
A typical day for me at this job entailed a lot of follow up calls to community health providers, updating clients' medical chart, managing client's medical chart in accordance to NYS/NYC regulations, seeing children for clinic-keeping them current medically, participating in family/team conferences (sometimes facilitated by ACS), training foster parents on relative health issues to maintain their qualification to keep their homes certified etc. I learned a lot in this position, mostly mental health studies & diagnosis, how to deal with children & families who have suffered some level of trauma, and being not only a nurse but an advocate for children and their families. Management could definitely have been better coordinated & supportive. My former co workers were the best! We really grew to be a family. We helped & supported each other through some of the toughest days, and encouraged each other. We made our department! The hardest part of the job was, aside from the no raise in over 5 years and the ever changing medical coverage & steadily increasing co payments would be the lack of support on the administration level. The most enjoyable part of the job aside from the awesome co workers I had the pleasure of working with for almost 4 years would have to be the children & the families I had worked with and impacted their lives and/or eased their situations helping anyway I could all the while, maintaining their dignity, at least I felt I did.
Productive workplace
Waiver Service Provider (Current Employee), Bronx, NYApril 9, 2014
JCCA is a great place to start your career in the social service feild.
flexible work/life balance
Social Worker (Current Employee), JCCAMarch 30, 2014
flexible work setting,company culture lacks enthusiasm and motivation not a team work spirit.
Unionized staff, mediocre work culture
Therapist (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 30, 2014
Pros: decent upper level management, unionized (for what it's worth) decent hr department, nice enough coworkers
Cons: crazy/evening hours expected/demanded, all-women workplace
A typical day would be lots of follow-up phone calls and paperwork in the office, and then home visits in the evenings to families/clients.

I learned about the foster care system. Also, trainings were provided about issues like foster care, family therapy, substance abuse, which was helpful and appreciated.

Higher-level management seemed professional and civil, which is rare for social service!
However, mid-level management wasn't too impressive.
Some managers seemed threatened by supervising smart workers and were then vindictive toward them. Unpleasant to say the least.

Coworkers were very nice, if not the most intellectually stimulating group of people. But decent, capable average human beings, and bright enough. But don't look to learn a lot about social work or family therapy from your coworkers, it's a somewhat mediocre, if good-natured bunch.

An interesting aspect is that the office is overwhelmingly women. It would be like 38 female workers and 2 men. This affected the dynamics of the workplace. To be honest, I don't think an all-female (or mostly female) workplace is the best environment. It could get catty and gossipy at times. This was a minus.

The hardest part of the job was that the home visits were almost all done in the evenings, as the families were working families. Yet we were expected to be at work during the day as well. So basically, you're working all day and all evening!
Yes, there was a comp time system, but there was some resistance on the part of management to workers always taking/using their comp time.

So in the end, you are going to feel exploited.
Not to mention that you can't have a life - what with working, morning, noon, and night.
I don't know how parents with children manage this job.
To be honest, no one should have to work these kinds of hours - being out almost every evening on a home visit.
Very unfair.