Under the general direction of the Associate Executive Director, the Director provides leadership to the overall operations of the Child Development Center at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City. The Director supervises, develops and implements program, curriculum and staff/volunteer structure within the CDC.
1. Creates vision and establishes direction: thinks strategically; plans for future operational growth; implements business objectives.
2. Effectively develops and manages people and resources: leads effectively; advocates diversity; develops and recognizes people/resources; engages in problem solving; manages conflicts; possesses high-level organizational skills.
3. Creates and maintains a focus on program growth and development: engage and connect with parents and students; responds to parents and students' needs; builds relationships; focuses on quality standards.
4. Builds community resources (involvement, volunteers and committee development): builds community relationships; serves as an ambassador for the JCC; builds staff leadership; embraces and demonstrates commitment to volunteerism.
5. Models professionalism and communicates effectively: exudes integrity; inspires others; exhibits expert level of verbal and written communication; promotes and represents the mission and the core values of the JCC of Greater KC.
PREPARE & MANAGE THE BUDGET: Manage the CDC’s operational budget to achieve a positive financial surplus and positive revenue growth.
BUILD & MANAGE A DYNAMIC STAFF TEAM: Recruit, select, develop and retain appropriate skill depth level of leaders and staff for the CDC. Supervise CDC leadership. Establish training and career succession plan for the CDC. Provide leadership to the staff through establishment of high performance goals and standards, regular assessment of staff performance including biannual performance evaluations, and staff meetings.
GROW & RETAIN PROGRAM ENROLLMENT: Direct program strategies and initiatives, resulting in positive growth of enrollment. Guide positive growth in enrollment retention through development of instructional programs, program evaluation and promotion of diversity and inclusion. Develop and implement quality programs and schedules to meet the needs of families. Encourage and listen to parent feedback to improve program quality. Identify and employ best practices in systems and technology to support efficient and effective management of the child care program. Provide direction and guidance to the leadership staff on state licensing and accreditation. Pursue and maintain NAEYC accreditation. Collaborate with the Associate Executive Director and Executive Team to develop long-range strategic and operational goals for the CDC, along with a plan for implementation.
FACILITY & RISK MANAGEMENT: Maximize facility usage during operating hours. Manage and maintain clean facilities, property, and equipment within the CDC. Oversee the employee safety program and ensure that liability risk exposures are identified and resolved within the CDC. Monitor daily operations to adhere to all state, local, and JCC health, safety and child care standards and policies. Ensure all staff are current with required certifications.
BUILD STRONG RELATIONSHIP WITH THE COMMUNITY: Cultivate and maintain positive professional relationship with JCC business partners. Promote the JCC CDC at special events throughout the community and organization.
DEVELOP AND LEAD A PARENT VOLUNTEER COMMITTEE: Collaborate with the CDC Volunteer Committee to educate the community about the work of the JCC CDC and its mission. Engage, recruit and develop key community leaders for the Volunteer Committee. Maintain contacts with political, business, and civic leaders, as well as community groups and schools to develop a solid volunteer structure.
MISSION: Provide leadership and understanding of the mission of the JCC of Greater Kansas City to staff, parents and the community. Promote and represent the mission and core values of the JCC in the community and its programs. Serve as a member of the JCC Management Team to support and impact the overall objectives of the Association, including the Strategic Imperatives. All other duties assigned by Management.
To be successful, you must meet education, training and experience requirements, and you must be able to demonstrate some critical knowledge, skills, and abilities.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required; early childhood education, special needs education or related field of study preferred. Master's degree a plus.
- 5 years progressively responsible experience in operations management; Director experience in a medium to large child development center required.
- 5 years progressively responsible experience with fiscal management, program growth and retention, program management, community relationship building, and facility care required.
- Experience with NAEYC accreditation process required. Experience in working closely with volunteer leadership committees required.
- Microsoft Office and social media proficiency required; CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE, SKILLS AND HABITS
- Effective leadership, management and supervision skills to drive operational success of a Child Development Center. Excellent skills to recruit, select, motivate, coach, develop, train and retain highly qualified staff.
- Excellent verbal, planning, written and interpersonal communication skills; must make effective and persuasive presentations to staff, senior management, community partners, corporate executives, board members and volunteers.
- Demonstrated responsibility, dependability, honesty and maturity.
- Must exhibit a professional, courteous demeanor. Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as critical thinking ability.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work independently in a fast-paced multi-priority environment.
- Ability to treat confidential information with sensitivity.
- Must exhibit patience, sensitivity and understanding.
- Excellent follow through actions regarding communication with all parents, with demonstrated sensitivity and responsiveness to their needs.
- Exhibit desire and ability to work with children of all ages, including friendliness, patience and sensitivity to a diversity of students.
For more information, please visit www.jcckc.org