The Jewish Community Project (JCP) of Lower Manhattan, Inc. was founded in 2002 as a grass-roots effort to grow Jewish life in downtown NYC. Based in Tribeca, JCP is an open and organic Jewish community which enables individuals and families to become a creative force in the life of the organization, and to connect to others through Jewish educational, cultural, social, and spiritual programs. The organization serves approximately 600 families and individuals living in downtown Manhattan.
The JCP philosophy encourages people to have a strong sense of personal ownership in their Jewish lives, and offers the tools to design and explore one’s own personal or family Jewish journey. As a post-denominational organization, JCP seeks to provide offerings to families of diverse Jewish and interfaith backgrounds who wish to connect and enjoy a sense of community. Its warm and inviting environment allows people to express their Jewish identities at all stages of life, through high quality, innovative and creative programming.
Today, JCP operates a prominent early childhood center, which includes a Jewish community preschool and a variety of programming for children ages 6 months to 5 years; a pre-school day c& a Hebrew school; community-wide Shabbat and holiday programs throughout the year; and adult education..
For more information about JCP visit our website at www.jcpdowntown.org
About the Position:
The Business and Finance Associate reports to the Senior Business and Finance Manager and has the following general responsibilities in the JCP Business Office, in the areas of finance, human resources, and general operations of the organization:
- Establish and maintain accurate template for entering payroll information, including taxes, withholdings, parsonage and other elements of payroll data.
- Draft payroll data for each bi-weekly payroll, get approval from appropriate management staff, submit payroll to processing company, check for accuracy, and keep confidential records of all payroll activity.
- Manage transfer of payroll data into General Ledger, and check items in P&L and Balance Sheet sections of the GL for accuracy.
- Prepare and process payments of employment taxes to Federal, State and local authorities as well as other vendors related to payroll and benefits.
- Support with quarterly and annual Federal and State payroll tax returns and filings.
- Maintain vendor records and communications.
- Receive, date and code for GL all invoices, requests for payment, credit card accounts, and recurring payables.
- Present all A/P items to management staff for signature and approval.
- Enter all A/P items into the GL, and check for duplications and accuracy.
- Present A/P aging report to Business Manager for review, and print checks / make payments as directed.
- Secure signatures, release payments and file paperwork accurately.
- Daily receipts of all payments, properly record all payments into the A/R system.
- Prepare daily bank deposits and record credit card transactions and deposits, organize and file records of deposits.
- Enter bills into the A/R system, including updates of database information on accounts.
- Print, review and mail / email monthly statements for account holders and payment plans.
- Generate and interpret A/R reports monthly, and upon request.
- When directed, contact account holders with balances to solicit payment.
- Provide receipts and records upon request.
Audit and Reporting
- Manage monthly self-audits of financial records and report issues to Business Manager.
- Support with annual audit tasks.
- Prepare bank reconciliations monthly and identify, research and report on any unusual items, and compare to GL records.
- Prepare GL report monthly, identify, research and report on any items that vary from expected budget, and work with staff to adjust forecast accordingly
- Assist Business Manager in developing, monitoring and updating the annual budget.
- Provide regular reports to the Business Manager on financial position and budget performance.
- Maintain an inventory of fixed assets, as well as office supplies.
- Support the business office in maintaining adequate insurance coverage for general liability as well as specific programs and exposures.
- When appropriate, assist in the recruitment and selection of vendors for supplies, maintenance and improvements.
- Ongoing updates of the CRM database.
- Assist in the training of staff to efficiently use IT systems.
- Provide IT support as needed for IT issues.
- Maintain an inventory of the organization’s IT equipment and provide recommendations on improvements or efficiencies.
Human Resources Operations
- Coordinate the employee benefits of the organization, including keeping accurate and timely records, managing enrollment/termination paperwork, interfacing with brokers and service providers, and any other items relating to the administration of our benefits system.
- Provide information on benefits to employees upon request.
- Day-of support with special events.
- Support with mass mailings.
- General administrative support when directed
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in an accounting field (required)
- Experience with accounting systems (Quickbooks or other) and donor database systems, as well as expertise with Excel, MS Office and other general computer applications
- A minimum of two to three years of solid administrative experience
- Superior attention to detail, and highly developed organizational skills
- Excellent problem solving skills, and self-motivated to perform at a high level
- A desire to take initiative, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Professional work style, and effective written and oral communication skills
- Advanced interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of staff, volunteers, and other stakeholders, fostering a customer service oriented approach
- A professional and resourceful style, with the ability to work independently and as a team player,
- Comfort level with working in a growing organization.
This position is open for immediate hire. To express interest in this unique professional opportunity, please send your cover letter, resume and salary history to Alex Kogan, Senior Business and Finance Manager.
The Jewish Community Project (JCP) of Lower Manhattan, Inc. was founded in 2002 as a grass-roots effort to grow Jewish life in downtown NYC....