Jewish Family and Children's Services Employee Reviews

Marriage and Family Therapist trainee
Marriage and Family Therapy Trainee (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Flexibility- can schedule and select own clients. Supervision and administrative support is superb. Diverse client population, including groups. Excellent traineeship. Unpaid.
Pros
amazing supervision, flexibility, support, and work enviornment
Cons
little to no financial compnesation
Overall decent place to work.
Personal Care Aide/Private Duty Aide (Current Employee) –  Squirrel Hill, PAJanuary 23, 2017
They don't keep you consistently working. There are no benefits or advancement opportunities. You are introduced to some amazing families and the work is very fulfilling.
JFCS is supportive and fulfilling
High Needs Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 14, 2016
I love my position as a high needs case manager and JFCS provides a great work environment. I feel that it is a company where I am needed valued as an employee.
Pros
great work environment and fulfilling position
Cons
pay isn't high in behavioral health
Productive Case Management Program
Parent Advocate (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYDecember 8, 2016
Individual peer support via phone, home visits and meeting accompaniments
Providing parents with information and resources available to meet their child’s needs
Workshop and group facilitation
Building Parent-Professional collaboration
Documentation and computer entry experiences
Postive co-workers, stressful work environment, odd hours, flexible schedule
Family Consultant 1 (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 8, 2016
Working at JFCS as Family Consultant has been one of the best experiences I have ever had. The environment from the very beginning was very welcoming and the supervisors were very supported. I felt like the training was very involved and explanatory. That being said. You will have good and bad days. You won't ever like all of your client's and you will be put into stressful positions. The schedule is odd hours and weekends but at the same time very flexible. The benefits are great. You aren't micromanaged but supervisors are there for you support.
Pros
Flexible schedule, positive co-workers
Cons
Long hours stressful environment, weekends and odd hours
Flexibility, and great coworkers are main reasons to work here
In Home Family Preservation Program (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2016
This career requires a great deal of affection for the work as compensation is poor, and state resources are minimal. A staggering amount of documentation and paperwork dominates a bulk of the work hours, followed closely by drive time. Note that wear on personal vehicles, and often working beyond a 40 hour work week are common. Colleagues, flexible scheduling, and supervisor set thi work place apart from others.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2015
This location was also a school for students. Environment can get loud and rough you need to be able to let it roll right off your back.
Upstairs was quieter and I always had something to accomplish or new to learn. Phones are busy.
Pros
Nice people to work with...
Cons
Can get testy at school locations
Wonderfully supportive and exciting workplace
Couple and Family Therapy Intern (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 22, 2015
I have worked at the JFCS in Long Beach as an Intern for the past 2+ years. I have seen a variety of clients and have been afforded a lot of leeway in creating programs and groups for this location. My supervisor and co-workers were all very knowledgable and helpful regarding different modes of therapy. If I could continue to work here paid (as i have been an unpaid intern for 2+ years) and in the right location (I would like to relocate t to be closer to my family) I would happy be there.
Jewish Board experience
Clinic Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 28, 2015
A typical day at me for work includes being busy with the supervision of staff which includes administrative staff as well as supervision of clinical staff. I am responsible for the overall management of the clinic to ensure that everyhting is running smoothly and addressing any challenges that may arise. My work also involves a lot of contact with clients who may have an issue that they need to discuss with me, assignment of clients to therapists, review of intake assessments, treatment plans and utilization reviews to ensure documentation is done in a timely manner and is within regulations and guidelines. I gain a lot of support from my direct supervisor and enjoy the staff that I work with. The hardest parts of my job are working very hard to continue to sustain the clinic while making a lower salary. Additional challenges include need for additional support staff and therapists leaving because the clinic runs on a fee for service model and they leave once they are able to secure a full time job. The fee for service staff also don't receive any benefits and it is hard for me to see staff who really need benefits not being able to get them from the agency, and knowing that it is beyond my control. What I enjoy most is working with staff in their development, seeing clients who make progress in their treatment and really improve their lives, and it is rewarding to me to know that we are in a good state fiscally, which allows us to continue to provide good treatment to the clients and community we serve.
Pros
health benefits, 4 weeks of vacation a year
Cons
low salary
I believe that I am an extremely effective psychotherapist/social worker
Long Term Care Supervisor/Clinician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 6, 2015
I am a psychotherapist in a private practice in West Palm Beach, Florida. I have been in private practice for in Palm Beach County for approximately twenty years .. I believe that therapy is a two way street My clients learn problem solving techniques. I learn from them as well.

I believe that when my client enters my office distressed, and leave with a smile I have done my job.

It frustrates me when I have to tell a client that their issues can not be resolved. This occurs rarely. If I meet with a couple and learn that their issues cannot be resolved, I am honest. I provide no guarantees but hope hope for the best.
Pros
Helping people that are distressed
Cons
When i am not able to resolve an issue of concern.
Productive workplace
Info Analyst/Office Man. (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2015
I was able to wear many hats in my time there. I learned a lot and acquired many skills. I was able to work as part of a team or on my own.
Warm work environment, with employees who truly care for their clients
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 11, 2015
As an intern at JFCS, I felt welcomed and was treated equally among the staff. I learned a lot through the work I did individually with clients, counseling and providing support services.
Great agency to begin social work skills
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 14, 2015
A social worker provides case management services to Holocaust survivors and older adults in the area. Additionally, annual home assessments are completed.
Calm work atmosphere
Evening Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2015
The office is a very calm atmosphere. The people who work here are nice. If you are looking for a job with great pay and raises, you will not get that here. The organization has very poor management and they've been losing employees by the bunch.
Pros
calm work enviorment
Cons
no raises
Learned a great deal about providing treatment as this was my first job after graduating for Social Work School
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 10, 2014
I learned a great deal and was introduced to working with may different systems and personalities. My co-workers were supportive and I had an adequate balance in my case load. I do not think that there was "the hardest part of the job" as everything seemed to be fair to clients and to the staff.
Pros
Excellent learning opportunites
Cons
Low pay and high job stress
Very fast paced and never boring
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2014
Given the nature of the business an average individual would really have to be self-aware in order to survive. While managing a group home of mentally challenged young adults, I learned how to simplify lessons in behavioral management, social and independent living skills, therapeutic crisis intervention, conflict resolution as well as social responsibility, school studies, grocery shopping and other challenging tasks one may face with a mental disorder. The expectations can be overwhelming. Raising a teenager on top of continuous paper work to track the services in which you provided each individual daily (total of eight) kept you with a full plate and an extensive to-do list. If you could make it in this line of work for more than a year, you'd make it anywhere. It was mostly a team effort given the support of my co-workers, making surviving every shift possible as you'd be taken on an emotional roller-coaster daily. Management had their flaws due to the demand of making up for lost funds from previous years which tend to trickle down to the child care worker level, so there was some inconsistencies. That was the hardest part of the job. The joy of it all came from seeing the youth learn and grow as they gained confidence in utilizing the tools and skills we covered with them daily.If you were able to catch a glimpse of that on your shift, it made any stress endured previously, vanish instantly. I have no regrets, I'd do it all again.
Pros
Recreational activities
Cons
No down time
Great personell
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Little Neck, NYJune 13, 2014
The job environment is very warm. Supervisors and employers are very understanding and helpful. Overall job experience was great, where I learned a great deal.
Pros
Warm, caring, and compassionate coworkers
Cons
Had to work until 9 PM twice per week
Challenging work with an under served population
Support Coordinator/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 3, 2014
A typical day at work was meeting with clients outside of the office, either at their day programs or at the homes. The families were always willing to talk about the achievements of the client, and having the ability to witness some of those achievements was encouraging. I learnt that people with special needs have the same desires, goals, and ambitions as everyone else, and detest being treated "differently." The management was encouraging, and supportive with any decisions made by the case manager, and promoted 'thinking outside the box." My co-workers were from different ethnic, and social backgrounds, and we all learnt from each other's strengths, and weaknesses. It was great to meet in the offices of co-workers to discuss an challenge, and get different view points. The hardest part of the job was the inability to "help" everyone, but the most enjoyable part was the sense of having mad a difference in the life of a client with encouragement, and kindness.
Pros
Being able to meet clients in the natural environments
Cons
Driving long distances
great
Project First Step Social Worker Intern (Former Employee) –  Asbury Park, NJMay 29, 2014
helps people regardless of religion. great for those uninsured with a need for therapy.
Residential Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2014
The work environment is respectful and professional, is very pleasant to work in this facility. s a great team to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jewish Family and Children's Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Jewish Family and Children's Services Reviews by Location