Jewish Family and Children's Services Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderfully supportive and exciting workplace
Couple and Family Therapy Intern (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 22, 2015
I have worked at the JFCS in Long Beach as an Intern for the past 2+ years. I have seen a variety of clients and have been afforded a lot of leeway in creating programs and groups for this location. My supervisor and co-workers were all very knowledgable and helpful regarding different modes of therapy. If I could continue to work here paid (as i have been an unpaid intern for 2+ years) and in the right location (I would like to relocate t to be closer to my family) I would happy be there.
Cons
I believe that I am an extremely effective psychotherapist/social worker
Long Term Care Supervisor/Clinician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 6, 2015
I am a psychotherapist in a private practice in West Palm Beach, Florida. I have been in private practice for in Palm Beach County for approximately twenty years .. I believe that therapy is a two way street My clients learn problem solving techniques. I learn from them as well.

I believe that when my client enters my office distressed, and leave with a smile I have done my job.

It frustrates me when I have to tell a client that their issues can not be resolved. This occurs rarely. If I meet with a couple and learn that their issues cannot be resolved, I am honest. I provide no guarantees but hope hope for the best.
Pros
Helping people that are distressed
Cons
When i am not able to resolve an issue of concern.
Warm work environment, with employees who truly care for their clients
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 11, 2015
As an intern at JFCS, I felt welcomed and was treated equally among the staff. I learned a lot through the work I did individually with clients, counseling and providing support services.
Calm work atmosphere
Evening Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2015
The office is a very calm atmosphere. The people who work here are nice. If you are looking for a job with great pay and raises, you will not get that here. The organization has very poor management and they've been losing employees by the bunch.
Pros
calm work enviorment
Cons
no raises
Productive workplace
Info Analyst/Office Man. (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2015
I was able to wear many hats in my time there. I learned a lot and acquired many skills. I was able to work as part of a team or on my own.
Learned a great deal about providing treatment as this was my first job after graduating for Social Work School
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 10, 2014
I learned a great deal and was introduced to working with may different systems and personalities. My co-workers were supportive and I had an adequate balance in my case load. I do not think that there was "the hardest part of the job" as everything seemed to be fair to clients and to the staff.
Pros
excellent learning opportunites
Cons
low pay and high job stress
Great agency to begin social work skills
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 14, 2015
A social worker provides case management services to Holocaust survivors and older adults in the area. Additionally, annual home assessments are completed.
Great experience in the mental health field
TEMP WORK (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 20, 2014
This place provides a great service to the community. It was nice to be apart of JFCS' efforts as a volunteer. JFCS is a good place to get MFT/MSW hours for clinical training as there are many clients cycling through this place constantly. It is a bummer not getting paid to work, and that seems to be just how it works out at most training sites.
Pros
friendly staff, access to many client cases, access to connected gym
Cons
no pay, unattentive supervision
You can be there one day and gone the next.
Executive Assistant to the Controller (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, NYApril 29, 2014
Really liked my job at JBFCS. Unfortunately, I did not play their "game". Was fired after working there 5 years for bogus reasons. The real reason I was fired was because I was vocal about the violence that took place on the campus where I worked.
Pros
great salary and benefits.
Cons
upper management - they will let you go just because they don't like you.
Stressful environment
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago,IlinoisSeptember 28, 2012
A typical day at work is very stressful. The clients are encouraged to go to school, but not required. It is very hard to schedule paid time off due to the fact that the home I work in being two programs in one. The group home is licensed as two group homes, but there are 12 employees total that work for the one home, all fighting for days off.
Pros
lots of paid time off
Cons
consistently short staffed
Productive place
Board Relations Intern (Current Employee) –  6th FloorFebruary 27, 2014
I work directly with the Board Relations Manager in an attempt to both diversify the Board of Directors and to update the Board Member orientation package. I have learned the ins/outs of Board relations and how to recruit prospective members.
Pros
excellent environment for learning
Chaotic Work Environment
HR Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 24, 2014
Nothing you do is ever good enough for this employer. The more you produce, the more they expect from you. They seem to thrive on chaos as they are slow to make decisions and reluctant to put procedures in place.
Pros
occasional free lunches
Cons
too many to describe
Great personell
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Little Neck, NYJune 13, 2014
The job environment is very warm. Supervisors and employers are very understanding and helpful. Overall job experience was great, where I learned a great deal.
Pros
warm, caring, and compassionate coworkers
Cons
had to work until 9 pm twice per week
professional setting
Residential Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2014
Some days you have a good day,and sometimes you have not so good days, but overall you manage to get through your day at the end of the day with a positive attitude.
Pros
positive people
Cons
negaive people
Good Place for First Position
Staff Accountant-Cash Management Unit (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, NYNovember 20, 2012
Learned alot at this Organization. Learned about the banking and Revenue of Non Profit Organization. Alot of hands-on experience.
Pros
free lunch, good benefits
Cons
not a very good work culture
Productive place
Academic Year Intern, Youth Department (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 26, 2013
Its a productive organization. They make you feel like home and they teach you good skills you will need later on in life.
Pros
working with peers my age
Cons
everyone was secritive
Jewish Board experience
Clinic Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 28, 2015
A typical day at me for work includes being busy with the supervision of staff which includes administrative staff as well as supervision of clinical staff. I am responsible for the overall management of the clinic to ensure that everyhting is running smoothly and addressing any challenges that may arise. My work also involves a lot of contact with clients who may have an issue that they need to discuss with me, assignment of clients to therapists, review of intake assessments, treatment plans and utilization reviews to ensure documentation is done in a timely manner and is within regulations and guidelines. I gain a lot of support from my direct supervisor and enjoy the staff that I work with. The hardest parts of my job are working very hard to continue to sustain the clinic while making a lower salary. Additional challenges include need for additional support staff and therapists leaving because the clinic runs on a fee for service model and they leave once they are able to secure a full time job. The fee for service staff also don't receive any benefits and it is hard for me to see staff who really need benefits not being able to get them from the agency, and knowing that it is beyond my control. What I enjoy most is working with staff in their development, seeing clients who make progress in their treatment and really improve their lives, and it is rewarding to me to know that we are in a good state fiscally, which allows us to continue to provide good treatment to the clients and community we serve.
Pros
health benefits, 4 weeks of vacation a year
Cons
low salary
Challenging work with an under served population
Support Coordinator/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 3, 2014
A typical day at work was meeting with clients outside of the office, either at their day programs or at the homes. The families were always willing to talk about the achievements of the client, and having the ability to witness some of those achievements was encouraging. I learnt that people with special needs have the same desires, goals, and ambitions as everyone else, and detest being treated "differently." The management was encouraging, and supportive with any decisions made by the case manager, and promoted 'thinking outside the box." My co-workers were from different ethnic, and social backgrounds, and we all learnt from each other's strengths, and weaknesses. It was great to meet in the offices of co-workers to discuss an challenge, and get different view points. The hardest part of the job was the inability to "help" everyone, but the most enjoyable part was the sense of having mad a difference in the life of a client with encouragement, and kindness.
Pros
being able to meet clients in the natural environments
Cons
driving long distances
Job security???
Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 15, 2013
I was hired and then laid off three months later due to the department closing. I'm not sure why I was hired when they clearly didn't have the funding.
great place to work
Financial Social Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 20, 2013
They are good place to work. Treat employee well and great management stable company
Pros
great working evironment
Cons
health care is to expensive