Jewish Vocational Service Employee Reviews

Good, overall
Receptionist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2017
I reviewed the company I was assigned to by JVS. JVS administered a senior job training program. I was assigned to CRDDC. It was run by a very entrepreneurial family who contributed magnanimously to the community. The small community center had a good culture. all remaining questions are about CRDDC. Very little contact with JVS. But their representative was supportive.

She showed intimate knowledge of the company and similar companies to which she assigned trainees.

A day in the busy period was very busy. When it was not busy, we went home early a few times.

I enjoyed learning how to be a receptionist.
Pros
Able to work independently
Cons
Company was in a high-crime area
Not a flexible place to work.
Financial Education Counselor (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 17, 2017
Work culture is very rigid. Management micromanages all staff. Non-profit therefore must meet all required funding source guidelines. No room for advancement.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
No room for advancement.
I loved coming to work everyday
Statistical Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2017
Working for the Jewish Vocational Service allowed me to interact with other cultures of people. It was also nice to see how they helped people find jobs.
Pros
My Supervisor was one of the nicest people I have ever met.
Cons
Some days I was bored because I ran out of work.
Great People and location
Transition Specialist / Job Developer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 10, 2017
Plenty of opportunities within the agency. Fun people, vacation time and Holiday vacation a plus. Located conveniently on Woodward in the Wayne State District.

A typical day is doing some computer work, filing, making phone calls, and community visits. Community outreach, participating in company events.

I learned how to correctly maintain community connections and relationships that I have created and how to more efficiently go about developing them.

Management treats staff well. Fridays are relaxed days.
Hardest part is when our program starts and a day is filled with driving to and from locations, creating files, making necessary calls and visits, preparing classroom topics and activities, and still assisting other clients seeking employment.

Most enjoyable part of the job are the events where the camaraderie shines thru!...
Pros
Location, the people, Holidays, inside promotions
Cons
Stressfull at times, Wear on your vehicle
fun place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJDecember 30, 2016
flexible company,fast pace working area.
My co workers was very friendly and i enjoyed working with them,
Most enjoyable part was providing compassionate care for consumers care.The hardest part of the job was moving the consumers from one place to another.
Easy-going place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MIDecember 17, 2016
I find my co-workers to be extremely helpful. In addition, I am in a position where I am learning something new everyday.
Good training and work environment.
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2015
This was contract work. Clerical in nature we sat to work. All employees in the same room. Easy work speed. Location no longer in service.
Pros
Easy to get to. Comfortable assignments and co-workers.
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
Fun and laid back work place
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 15, 2015
I worked here many years ago after completing one of their Medical Office Skills programs,.
The Manager at that time was great!! I was a young mother and a few times I had conflicts with my young child's school schedule. I was able to bring my child in and the staff were amazing in helping out.
No complaints here.
I learn alot on how to clean
janitorial (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 14, 2015
It's good place to learning different task on clean, sme the job got very stressful when your co workers did not show up how to stripped and wax floors. good managerment got along with my co workersthe hardest job learning how stripped and wax floors but I learn emptied trash
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
short break
Provides wonderful opportunities for passionate employees
Volunteer Assistant Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 11, 2015
Working as a volunteer at JVS Boston was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. I interacted with several employees of vastly different cultures and backgrounds, all working incredibly hard to advance their careers and better their lives, as well as the lives of their families. The staff from JVS Boston, as well as those who we were training, were all very kind, supportive, and genuine. I was never confused as to what my responsibilities were, and I always felt as though I was benefiting the community. I gained many beneficial skills from working in my particular volunteer environment. To this day, I still miss all of the wonderful people I had the chance to meet and learn from.
Productive and a good place to learn janitorial cleaning.
Janitorial Trainee Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 12, 2015
My Typical day was learning the right chemicals to use to clean center areas of a building starting from top to bottom, how to buff a floor, and everyone pulling together to get the job in a fun way with sing and sharing some life experiences. Jewish Vocational Services ran their company very professional. My co-workers and I were team players. There was nothing hard about this job and the most enjoyable was being able to attend other training that was offered.
Pros
The supervisor was very patient and easy to learn from.
Cons
When training ended.
Helpful environment
Office Manager / Front office (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILAugust 16, 2014
Very helpful environment for the staff as well as clients. Room for growth and volunteer opportunities.
eye love my job
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2014
jvs was a great place 2 work 4
love 2 load &uloading trucks
eye enjoy brining sub contracted work 2 the shelter workshop
showing consumers how 2 assemble different products
Supervise Mentally Disabled Adults who work in the community.
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 28, 2014
Most of the time I am prompting the clients on how to be appropriate on the job. I assign tasks and give very specific directions on how to complete them. With another job coach we work as a team to make sure clients do not run out of work/ product. Clients work in various settings which include retail, janitorial, production and other volunteer sites. Being a job coach is very rewarding because I am a positive influence on the clients daily and they receive a sense of purpose. .
safe fun work environment
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 11, 2014
Take client to different food banks to help box food items. Most of the clients have different disabilities so that makes for a whole lot of personalities but each day theres something different going home and that's what make the job fun and keeps it interesting.
Enjoyable job experience
Supervisor/Job coach (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 5, 2014
Jewish Vocational Service was a great learning experience for me .I learned how to become a loving caring Jobcoach.
started out as working as a packer and from there a supivisor
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJJanuary 8, 2014
many promotion at lest three until I got to a supivisor there to traineing new hiree did mean to put that there sorry
Pros
gave us bonus from 100 and up depend on how long a employee was there
Cons
no cons
Non-profit
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNSeptember 29, 2013
JVS is an excellent place to work. The agency really cared about employees and provided great benefits. The management was very easy to approach and provided great direction and feedback.
educational environment giving services to to peolpe throughout the communities as well as others
Security Coordinator (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJSeptember 12, 2013
great place to work, employment to those who are mentally and physical disable. services given to those were displaced and need a career change
community cleaning
Street Cleaner (Former Employee) –  North Miami, FLJuly 30, 2013
Jewish community Service give us a chance to work with the Miami beach sanitation work force and it is a bridge to further employment
such as Miami beach parks and recreation,public work , and initiated skill to be a neighborhood service worker. There is nothing hard about the job. It is out doors work and you get a chance to cover wide areas.
Pros
it is governmantal employment
Cons
the benifit are regular government basics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jewish Vocational Service. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5