A national non-profit organization founded in 1995, the Jewish Women's Archive (JWA) makes known the stories, struggles, and achievements of Jewish women in North America in order to enrich the way we understand the past and ensure a more inclusive future. JWA has amassed the most extensive collection of material anywhere on American Jewish women, and has created an increasing demand for its information, resources, and services. Its website, which draws more than 1.2 million unique visitors annually, is a destination for people seeking knowledge, a sense of connection and community, and a way to affirm and enhance the legacy of American Jewish women.
A diverse staff of 10 FTE’s work in a pleasant Brookline neighborhood with easy access to public transportation and affordable parking. Office atmosphere is lively, friendly, and collegial. Flexible schedule with telecommuting possible.
The Social Media Specialist will develop and implement a coherent, creative, and effective social media strategy for JWA with the goal of building JWA’s online community and raising its profile and influence among key audiences. The Specialist will be responsible for achieving measureable results and will be held accountable for producing them. The Specialist will also manage JWA’s e-communications, including its blog, “Jewesses with Attitude.”
- Use social media tools to promote JWA and develop relationships with diverse audiences
- Write and solicit/edit guest posts that make JWA’s blog fun and thought-provoking to read.
- Write, format, and send ecommunications, including monthly eNews, weekly “This Week in History” email, and eblasts.
- Ensure that JWA is deploying most effective and up-to-date social media tools
- Become the voice of JWA in related social media spaces, engage in online conversations, respond to comments, etc.
- Establish and assess specific strategies for JWA’s social media feeds and channels (i.e., Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.)
- Increase and manage JWA’s presence on social networking sites, relevant blogs, and non-JWA websites
- Analyze, review, and report on the impact of social media programs
- Monitor trends in social media tools, applications, and tactics
- Minimum of three years’ experience in social media efforts designed to build support for nonprofit organizations and/or advocacy and political campaigns with a proven track record in building social media followership
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and their respective participants (e.g. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter) and how they can be deployed effectively to advance organizational goals
- Record of using social media analytics programs to improve social media performance
- Proven ability to work well independently and with others
- Strong writing, editorial, and proofreading skills
- Interest in feminism and/or the experience of American Jewish women.
Technical skills required: Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel, Facebook, and Twitter. Ability to use basic HTML, Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign for simple photo editing and layout, Final Cut ProX, and Google Analytics is a plus. Will train to use Blue State Digital tools and Drupal Content Management system.
Please apply online at jwa.org/aboutjwa/jobs/apply and include:
- Cover letter
- Two writing samples (ideally pieces written for the Web)
- Contact info for two references