In the past twelve months, JibJab’s talented engineering team has built products that have served laughs to over 100 million people around the world. Our ‘Starring You’ product that allows users to put themselves, family and friends into JibJab videos and pictures is the biggest personalized media product on the web. Since we launched it, users have created over 100 million pieces of content that have been viewed over 750 million times.
Now, we’re also trying to bring that delight to the next generation through our new StoryBots initiative. Our mission is to make learning fun for kids and easy for parents. Since the Web continues to be the best way to bring enriching experiences that reach the most people, it’s no surprise that we consider StoryBots.com such an important part of this initiative. We’ve got a lot done already, but we’re just getting started, and we have a lot of big plans still in store.
We’re going to need help, and this where you come in.
What you’ll be doing:
- Write Ruby and Rails software for the JibJab and StoryBots websites.
- Write in Ruby or any other another language of your choice for any number of tasks requiring analysis or automation.
- Build internal components and services to promote maintainability and re-usability.
- Provide assessments and accurate estimates for project implementation.
- Integrate with sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest to help us reach more people.
- Work with a passion for quality and maintainability. “Don’t leave broken windows unrepaired.”
- Have fun! Remember – we’re funny people… mostly.
What you’ll need:
-At least 3 years of experience building dynamic websites using web application frameworks using Ruby, Python, Perl, or another dynamic programming language.
-A firm grasp of web application basics: HTTP, SSL, cookies, database access, browser quirks, and so on.
-The ability to look at C and syntactically similar languages (C++, Java, and Objective-C) and still have some sense of what’s going on in the code.
-An appreciation for clarity in both database schema design and object-oriented design.
-Total comfort on a Unix command line.
-A positive attitude is an absolute must, along with strong verbal and written communication skills. We work in small teams, which makes working well together that much more important. We’re not a huge company: cross-department communication is a fact of life.
Nice to haves:
-Interest and/or experience with emerging technologies such as NoSQL databases or Node.js.
-Experience with the Rails asset pipeline and CSS preprocessors such as Sass or LESS.
-Experience integrating with payment systems, either web or mobile: PayPal, Recurly, Stripe, and so on.
-Experience developing mobile web applications, iOS apps, or native desktop apps.
-Examples of open source projects (on GitHub or elsewhere).
About our technology:
- Most of our applications are built with Ruby and Rails.
- Linux is the primary production operating system, PostgreSQL is our database and software like Memcache, Beanstalk and Unicorn are used to power our website and keep it fast.
- Flash, Flex and other RIA technologies power our media personalization and rendering platform.
Indeed - 6 months ago
copy to clipboard -
JibJab is a digital media company dedicated to making funny things worth sharing. We’ve been pioneering online...