Jiffy Lube

Jiffy Lube Employer Reviews

Very consistant, babck to back work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), W. ColumbiaJanuary 17, 2015
its a good work place to work and it teaches you how to work with diffrent people..
Never work here, even if you're desperate
General Sales and Operations Manager (Former Employee), Greensburg, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: you learn how to work on cars, and they will pay for inspection and brakes classes.
Cons: poor pay, total lack of respect for employees, incompetent and delusional business practices, dishonesty is openly encouraged, extreme amount of stress, uncaring and lazy upper management, upper management will do everything it can to avoid paying you beyond your base pay, absolutely no work/life balance, and upper management refuses to promote from within (no job growth).
This is going to be fairly lengthy. A bit of a warning, this is solely a review for the Pittsburgh Lubes region of the Lucor Jiffy Lubes! This is not representing any other region beyond this one in particular!

This job, if you're leading a relatively stress-free life, will turn that completely upside down all on it's own. You are required to work a minimum of 55 hours per week as a store manager, meaning you work 11-hour days for five days of the week. This is if upper management doesn't demand you to give up one or both of your days off and force you to come in to work. In all likelihood, expect to work a minimum of 66 hours per week with no compensation. You will be getting paid for 40 hours, take it or leave it (please leave it, for your own sake).

If you opt to not give up your day off, they WILL fire you over it. Every single time there is any complaint about anything mentioned to them, no matter how small, their response is always to simply say "Is that your two-weeks notice? If not, get over it". This is their response to even their top management and employees!

If you're expecting even half-decent pay, or even pay that is worth the time and effort put into the job, you will be very disappointed. It starts at minimum wage for hourly employees, and you're capped at $9/hour. The store managers get started off at $28,000/year ($9.80/hour if you only work the minimum 55 hours!). There is a bonus structure, however this company will do everything it can to make absolutely sure you do not get your bonus. It is entirely upper management's discretion as to whether or not – more... you get the bonus, even if you surpass their expectations by miles.

Is it twenty degrees outside? Or better yet, is it five degrees outside? If it is then too bad! You are required to keep all garage doors wide open and nobody is allowed inside at any point! Meaning if you get hypothermia, it is your fault because "you should have worn more layers". Even though they write you up for wearing anything beyond the extra-thin jacket that you must buy from Jiffy Lube... even if you wear it underneath it. If there are no cars, even in this weather, you are required to go hold the sign next to the road so that you can experience the thrills of cars hitting you with a severe wind-chill.

You are also encouraged to be as shady and dishonest as possible when it comes to the prices. If a customer asks you the price of the oil change, you are required not to tell them. You have to immediately go into a five-minute long sales pitch on the service, and you are required to say it in the exact way that corporate wants you to. If you dare to tell them the price before the pitch or deviate from the script in even a single word, you will be written up. If the customer interrupts the pitch, saying they don't care and to tell them the price, you are required to verbally refuse to tell them and continue the pitch... THEN and only then are you allowed to tell them. Any customer that doesn't want to pay $45 for a basic oil change is immediately written off by upper management, saying that "they're not the type we want as a customer".

Yes, they feel that only people that are fine with paying double the going rate simply for having their floor vacuumed are the only people deserving of their service! In other words, "suckers and idiots are our demographic!". Here is the kicker: they try to pick and choose their customers like this and not try to boost business even when 8 out of the 13 stores in their region are thousands in the red for the month... And that's on the best months of the year, as it is usually 10 out of 13 for 9 months of the year! There is a reason why only four out of thirteen stores in the Pittsburgh region have store managers at all. – less
Great working atmosphere!
Lube Technician & Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 15, 2015
I came to Jiffy Lube and didn't know anything about cars! i worked with them three summers in a row and i learned so much about cars to the point that i am able to perform these skills on my own car. Considering that mostly men worked at this location, I was happy with how they worked with me and treated me equally.
Really Quick Oil Change
Lube Technician (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 14, 2015
Cons: not enough hours
I honestly love working here, learning experience is acceptable
Great starter job to learn how to keep maintence on your car
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee), Marysville, WAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: learning new stuff and giving and learning customer service
Cons: no health care
typical day at work was clock in open the shop get computers going and wait for customers what I learned here was customer service and how to do maintenance on my car. most co-workers were great they were their to learn. Hardest part of job was slow days The most enjoyable part of job was learning and customer service
Positive Work Environment
General Sales and Operations Manager (Current Employee), Duluth, GAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: ability to learn anything automotive you desire
Cons: limited amount of tools
While working at Jiffy Lube I was able to grow within the company. They have a wonderful management training program to get employees ready to manage a store. Their daily functions are not overly exhausting but they do demand you work. The most enjoyable part of the day is meting new customers and engaging in conversations with them about their cars. Most people feel their car is an extension of their family and it is comforting to know people trust me to take care of that.
Worst Job ever
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), KansasDecember 29, 2014
Pros: 1 free oil change
Operate day to day activities.Maintain customer service standards
Hire, Train and coach staff .Maintain car care standards.Preform cash register and cash room duties. Hated the job the customers don't know how to maintain a car. This job is a every man for himself.
assistant manager
Assistant Manager/Lube Tech (Former Employee), lakewood, waDecember 21, 2014
open and closed the store, run inventory, took care of cars problems for customers. also worked on cars and did oil changes and other services
productive and automative
Car technician (Former Employee), tacoma washingtonDecember 18, 2014
Pros: meeting people
Cons: mechanical issues
Jiffy Lube was an interesting place due the various automobiles and the different types of maintain repairs. I didn't have a very good knowledge about automobiles which could sometimes be difficult to understand. There are certain things you must know to be successful in this type of industry. No person wants someone to work on their vehicle without some type of knowledge.
Decent place to work if you dont want to make much money
Operations Service Specialist (Former Employee), Sparks, NVDecember 16, 2014
Pros: fun, easy, great co-workers
Cons: poor management, impossible to advance
This is a very fun place to work if you enjoy working on cars. However, I worked there for 14 months as a top performing employee without consideration of a raise. I was being prepared to be a floor manager, and eventually took over ALL of the duties of the floor manager without the actual promotion. My manager was rude and inconsiderate, not to mention his derogatory comments toward our customers. My co-workers, however, were some of the best people I have worked with and I am still in contact with most of them. I'll admit, Jiffy Lube has a bad reputation for a reason, but not all employees had that intention. I saw some dishonest sales tactics, but I also saw very sincere people there that had legitimate concerns for their customers. Overall, I had a great time working at Jiffy Lube. If it weren't for the management I would have considered it for a career.
fun always learning new things
Certified Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLDecember 16, 2014
change oil filters, drain oil, replace belts, wipers the basics
Good starting point
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCDecember 15, 2014
Its a good starting point into the world of mechanics. They will teach you the basics as long as your brain works. But still a stepping stone.
Terrible job to work
Customer Service adviser (Former Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 13, 2014
Pros: i really liked working on cars mainly only fun thing literally
Cons: everything
NO benefits no 401k you get nothing working for this company. They force there customer service advisors to pressure sell on there customers, and if you don't make sells you get fired or they cut your hours from little to nothing. HIGH stress enviorment constant worry on sales. No proper training.
No advancement oppurtunities
Service Manager (Current Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 13, 2014
There are no advancement opportunities, and upper management has issues with communication to store level employees. No clear training, and there is continuous favoritism, Franchise habitually changes goals and guidelines for stores, so it is hard to ever appease their guidelines.
awesome workplace
Quick Lube Technician (Former Employee), Mesa, AZDecember 8, 2014
Pros: everything about this company is a pro
Cons: i can't think of any
really wish I'd never left this companythere's nothing wrong with this company.
Great place to learn new things
Brake technician and lube technician (Current Employee), Elmhurst, ILDecember 2, 2014
I learned a lot of automotive staff in this place. They have a good training program. We have great working team that helped each other when needed. It is a good place to start in the automotive field. The hardest part of the job when their is not enough personal to get the job done.
I did one for this job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Mountain View, CADecember 1, 2014
Pros: i did on efor this job
Cons: i did one for this job
I did one for this job. it was a lot of fun and I also learned a lot as well.
Productive and fun place to work
Upper Bay Technician (Former Employee), Glendale, AZNovember 30, 2014
always a very busy day i learned how to to do safety inspection on cars.
Fast paced and laid back
Senior Service technican (Former Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 29, 2014
Pros: set hours, discounted oil changes, working in a laid back environment.
Cons: no benefits, no room for advancement, lack of raises.
Would start work between 8-9 a.m. Would greet customer at their vehicle, Guide customer to front lobby doors, and pull vehicle into a bay. Check to make sure all lights were working properly and turn vehicle off. Then we would check the oil level then follow to drain the oil. Then vacuum the interior and wipe down the windows. Fill all the under the hood fluids then go over recommended guidelines for vehicle maintenance with customer. I learned to always give your best effort to each customer and make them feel appreciated. My boss was the best I ever have had. He took great pride in his work. He would joke around but always brought out the best in all of his workers. The hardest part of my job would be trying to get oil out of my regular clothes from it soaking through my work attire. The best part of my job was dealing with all of the customers and giving them a genuine experience, giving them above and beyond service.
Enjoyable and fast paced work place
Automotive Tech (Current Employee), Missouri City, TXNovember 26, 2014
Pros: free conventional oil changes
Management and fellow employees are fun to work with. I have come in not knowing much about vehicles to knowing the basic under hood mechanics. The most enjoyable part is learning something new every day.

About Jiffy Lube

A leading provider of oil changes, Jiffy Lube doesn't expect to see its customers every day -- but about every three months or – Read more

Jiffy Lube Salaries