Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,436 reviews
Fun workplace with free cake
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Norton Shores, MIMarch 20, 2017
I absolutely loved working here and hated that I had to leave. The managers do everything they can to make sure you can do your best. The co-workers became an extended family for me.
Everyone there is creative in some way and is always willing to help. While there are busy times, it always felt pretty laid back.
The easiest part was helping customers find things. Hardest was reaching high things or carrying large items due to my size.
Pros
Amazing insurance
A place that allows your creativity to flourish.
Merchandise Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 20, 2017
Worked with a wide variety of clientele, from the first time sewer to the experienced business owner. While my degree helped somewhat, it was just like any other nuts and bolts retail organization.
Pros
Discounts, friendly staff.
Cons
Benefits, pay, lack of staff retention.
Jo_Ann Fabrics
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 19, 2017
If you like arts and crafts, it's an OK place to work at. I feel as though their choices in the products they buy to sell are outdated. By the time we get certain products in the trend is halfway done with. They also seem to cater towards only a few types of customers. I think they can do much better if they carried smaller collections, with more than one theme. Their choice of fixtures are hard to work with. I've seen competitors with fixtures that make more sense, seem easier to work with, and overall presentation is so much cleaner and easier to shop.
Fun, productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMarch 19, 2017
Very energetic area, good people. Work area great and nice. Training was hands on, was on my own for sometime. With aid when i need it. Managers work with you.
Basic
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CAMarch 18, 2017
Though we were always busy most customers thought the prices were way to much and that caused sales to be low. The management was overall good. the hardest part was trying to recover the entire store in just thirty minutes. Other than that i enjoyed coming to work.
Great if you prefer that line of work.
Holiday Helper (Former Employee) –  Algonquin, ILMarch 17, 2017
Not a bad company it just wasn't my cup of tea. A lot of what I personally did was simple assistance. I found the job duties were mundane. Restock, sales and customer assistance are great if you don't care for a daily challenge. I enjoyed helping people with what they needed. That was the best part. The hardest part was the restock. It was surprisingly physically demanding. The management is good at what they do although they don't pay much attention to their employees unless there is a problem.
Pros
Breaks whenever you needed.
Cons
Mindless work. No challenge.
Fun place to work for the creative mind...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAMarch 17, 2017
I love the job and the customers! JoAnn has the best customer base!
The only true negative is the number of hours employees get on a weekly basis. It is not foreign to only be scheduled 5 to 10 hours a week.
Don't
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAMarch 16, 2017
The company and upper management is to focus on the dollar, it is an okay short term job but not if you want a career it is not a competitive pay work place.
Pros
The team work can be great.
Cons
Non competitive pay.
I enjoy the retail and craft aspect of the job
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTMarch 16, 2017
It is a extremely nice store. The manager and I have some personal family problems. The store has top of the line crafts and sewing equipment. Alot of customers really love there pick of cloth.
Pros
You get to see all the Crafts and the People
Cons
I had to endure family that was unhappy with me.
manager
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2017
My manager, district manager and regional manager, they all asked me to take on the merchandise manager position, I was responsible for the total inventory (ordering, restocking, and right offs) plus the running of the store,scheduling, deposits and payroll.
depressing environment
Cashier/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 15, 2017
Unless you are specifically into crafting and fabric,I do not recommend this job for you. Even then it is hard to keep a positive attitude at a place where customers are so nasty and managers are constantly quitting and being fired.
Pros
cool fabric sometimes
Cons
depression
It's a quiet, crafty and comfortable place
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSMarch 14, 2017
I really enjoyed my time working here. The management is very nice and understanding, the only thing I'd complain about is that there weren't enough things in the day to do and sometimes I'd be left for hours just trying to find stuff to keep me busy. That isn't really such a bad thing though when you have a good environment and nice co-workers
Pros
nice workers, great management, flexible scheduling, decent activity
Cons
a little boring
Great place
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 13, 2017
It's a great place to work for a retail job. People were great, able to work in an environment that helps teach others about products and projects of coworkers and customers. Could work as much or as little as wanted along with being able to chose what shifts you wanted to work as long as you had an open schedule.
Pros
Meeting new customers with different crafty projects; free classes to staff members
Cons
crazy hours;open schedule if wanting more hours
Great Place To Work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHMarch 13, 2017
Fun and inviting atmosphere. Jo-Ann's gives you the ability to be creative at work. You can basically create your own uniform because they let you sew your own apron. The managers are always nice and they train you to do everything very well.
Easy work, sometimes crabby clientele
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 12, 2017
Its an easy job, sometimes management gets frustrated if you dont pick up on things fast.Clientele can be annoying. Older ladies and their coupons.. you get the idea.
Pros
30 min lunches, 15 min breaks
Cons
only .75 cents above minimum wage.
Poor workplace with unachievable goals
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 10, 2017
Joann's doesn't care about it teams or customers. It puts unachievable goals in place and then holds the team accountable for not meeting them. Management raises are based off outdated inaccurate syatems and goals. Corp. doesn't care and most departments can't be reached from store level. Employees are have no room for improvement.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low wages and hours. Treated as slave labor
Not a good place if you like structure in your life
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIMarch 9, 2017
I was really excited to be a part of a new store but after 6 months I could not wait to move on to a better job with more hours and some organization. They cut our hours right at Christmas after giving us a raise and they still are not up to what we need to survive. I have worked retail a long time and never had that low of hours. Poor management in scheduling, hiring and just a disaster. I was expecting to be out on the floor stocking and customers and got tuck at the register most of the time. If you want to work for several people and get no help when needed - then work here. Otherwise I would say - move on to the next place.
Pros
Met good friends
Cons
too many to list
Heavy Workload
MERCHANDISING TEAM LEADER - Ontario (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 8, 2017
Deliveries were challenging to manage with minimal payroll to work with to complete the task. Fun creating and crafting with customers and gaining new ideas.
Pros
learning new hobbies
Cons
to many hobbies to select
This could just be our store...
Inventory coordinator (Current Employee) –  IowaMarch 7, 2017
Rude customers
District Manger is rude/unrealistic
New SM is way over her head
Drama between employees (mainly management)
Corp. Doesn't listen to sales team
Employee discount is 20% off your total purchase, but lately customers have been receiving this same discount or better weekly.
Friendly coworkers and customers
Customer service, stocking, cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 7, 2017
I enjoyed working with the customers and helping them find the appropriate items they needed for whatever project they were working on.
This was one of the most friendly environments I have worked in.
Pros
Smiles all day
Cons
Very low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8