Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,290 reviews
Understaffed and Stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Severna Park, MDSeptember 8, 2016
When I left I was one of about 6 people in 2 months. Underpaid for the amount of work and stress that is placed on the employee with little opportunity for advancement and raises. The company limits the amount of hours the manager is allowed to schedule leading to the illegal practice of not allowing the employees breaks off the sales floor, (many of us had 8+ hour shifts where you either did not relieve the required 30 min break or you were simply told you must eat your food between customers on the floor). Many of the customers are also horrid and will scream and throw items when events that are out of the employees hands occur such as our registers crashing so only cash transactions are allowed. Avoid working for this company if at all possible.
Mostly friendly workplace filled with inspiration
Cutting counter, cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL Springfield, MOAugust 1, 2016
On a typical day at work I am usually working the cutting counter and helping guests find supplies they need for their projects. I've learned how to create class curriculum and teach without any previous training or experience. I've also learned a lot learned a lot of new sewing tricks and techniques from customers. Management are under constant pressure and stressed. Most of my co-workers are helpful and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job is working understaffed. The most enjoyable part of my job would be helping people and giving them new ideas.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No guaranteed hours, low wage, only one annual 20 cent raise, no lunch break, no benifits
Amazing manager and coworkers, Not much for a salary
Sales Associate/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 21, 2016
The management and the coworkers at the store I'm employed, they're awesome to work with and the most friendliest and helpful a person could ever ask to work with. The manager is the best I've worked with. Slightly stern and gets straight to the point of what she wants done but is very friendly, patient, and knows when to have a little fun (joking around) when need to. If only the pay and the hours were better, I would no doubt want to stay as long as possible but the salary isn't enough to live by. But, like I often remind myself, "better something than nothing" even though it could definitely be better.
Pros
awesome coworkers
Cons
low pay salary, not enough hours given
Good place to work nice customers
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLJune 24, 2016
Plenty of room for advancement. The job was relatively easy and training was good. Management was very inexperienced on the down side. most employees didn't get very many hour due to low sales.
The best part of the job was seeing the customers find what they want and knowing you had a hand in helping them find what they wanted. Working at the cutting counter and trying to cut a straight line was by far the hardest part of the job. Most of my co-workers were pleasant and nice to work with. I learned to be more professional and how to sell items to the customers.
Pros
easy job
Cons
hardly any benefits little hours
Good coworking team
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 25, 2016
JoAnn fabrics, in my situation, was a good stepping stone, and I loved the team of coworkers I worked with, most everyone. However, as a retail job it has ZERO to offer in any chance of raises or advancement, nothing in benefits at all. Plain and simple, if you start at minimum wage, you're very likely to stay at minimum wage unless you leave for something else.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No chance of better pay or benefits
Nice job if you are a high school student.
Key Holder/Sales Associate, Manager (Current Employee) –  Angola, INMay 24, 2016
Nice job, if you are a high school student. No hours for any employees except store manager, even key holders, very lowest of pay, no set schedule, and hostile work environment. Employees keep getting more and more responsibilities and tasks, yet no more compensation is offered, and what little bit of extra part time employees did get has been taken away. Granted it was only two work shirts and a gift card, but it was all we got. Yet the organization keeps adding to what we have to try to persuade the customer to buy and sign up for to make them millions, while what little the common folk got, is being taken away.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
No hours, low pay, hostile work environment
Don't Stay Long
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Glen Mills, PANovember 3, 2016
I can't say it is the same across all Jo-Ann Stores. At this location however, I just didn't feel the team spirit, nor management guiding and empowering you to climb higher in the ranks.
Pros
potential for good benefits
Cons
No breaks
Management can vary widely
Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Melbourne, FL 32904November 18, 2016
I worked in one store with harsh management, but then transferred to another store and management was excellent. I worked part time and they do not extend medical benefits to part timers. I did enjoy the people I worked with however.
Jo-Ann Stores
Technical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hudson, OHNovember 29, 2016
Slow opportunities to learn, training budgets slashed.
Bonus scheme is fair, benefits recently reduced (increase in deductibles)
Good corporate culture, very good work to life balance but ZERO work from home.
Lots of hard work, and great people to work with
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CAAugust 10, 2016
Co-workers are awesome...customers can be demanding, but, that's the job. Be ready to spoon feed every aspect of their project to them, if you enjoy sewing--it's great. It's more fun if you're not a manager.
Pros
Great if you love sewing/ FANTASTIC benefits program for FT
Cons
Being yelled at for nothing by customers upset at the coupons, $$, etc.
The pay is awful for how hard we work.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTMay 3, 2016
Honestly, it is one of the best jobs I have ever had. They do pay poorly though, so getting by can be rough. The workplace is fun and the managers are all enjoyable and easy to befriend. I really love it here but I cant live off of $7.25 an hour. I was bumped up to a managing position almost a month and a half ago and they have yet to properly train me or increase my salary. NOTE: This is my experience with one particular store. I'm sure everyone has different opinions to share.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, decent discounts, a fun environment
Cons
short breaks, poor pay, unorganized recruiting
They are horrible to work for!
SALES FLOOR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHNovember 21, 2016
This is a corporate run company. They are always understaffed and put a lot of responsibility on the employees for very little pay. They don't offer benifits or adequate hours.
Fun job. Not so great opportunities.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 11, 2016
The environment and team is great. The job is fun. Not much room for advancement, or raises. A good job for someone who just needs some income, but not for a meaningful career.
Pros
Positive team/enviroment
Cons
Little to no advancement/raises
nothing more to tell
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTAugust 22, 2016
Joann is a great company wish they paid more and offer benefits to part timer and paid vacation fun place to work if this is your first job
Pros
great mgr
Cons
no part time benifits, paided vacation and low paid
A nice place to work.
Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 10, 2016
I help open the store, stock shelves and wait on customers. I've learned more about retailing. I worked with some very nice people.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Salary, no offering of benefits to part-time employees.
Awful!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOOctober 21, 2016
The management is horrible! When I was hired, they gave me no hours, telling me they "didn't know my availability" even though I have given it to them when I applied, in the interview, my first day, and when I called to ask why I wasn't on the schedule. We got no breaks, had to remind management of lunch breaks, and frankly the manager doesn't care about her employees. She would not work around my full time job and wanted me to put the part time job above my career. Everytime I would ask off, she would schedule me to work anyways. Manager would do everything to not have to work. She told me I couldn't ask off on a Saturday because "we work retail and we have to work weekends" yet she never had to work weekends? If I could rate zero I would. Never going back to that store.
Pros
Few good coworkers
Cons
Manager.
Another great place
Sign Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHJuly 16, 2016
Over the years there, I did enjoy working there but "we as a unit" were never rewarded I'd you will, when we knew we were doing such an awesome job
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Not giving proper compensation over my 6Years I felt
Busy work envoriment.
Retail stocking associate/Fabric cutting table/ (Former Employee) –  Bedford, INJuly 9, 2016
Nice manager and employees and worked with my schedule, kept constantly busy. no beneifits, Didnt give me hours. Kept saying they didnt have hours to give.
Pros
Meet new customers, Nice employees
Cons
No benefits
Only for casual work, if you love crafts
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 29, 2016
I would recommend this place mainly for students and retired people, if anyone. The pay is just awful, and there are no performance based raises. They start at minimum wage, and only give up to a quarter annual raise, if you have been there long enough and are full time, and they don't hire people for full time. They expect you to be okay with 10, or no, hours one week and 40 the next, or coming in at 5am for trucks and events, and/or staying until 1am when there was an important visit the next day. This is a job for the kind of person that is okay doing as little as they can get away with, but if you have any enthusiasm or work ethic/pride, you will get taken advantage of and treated as though you are three people minimum.
Seems Good at First But it's Not
Picker and Labor Pool (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHMarch 17, 2016
Excellent job when you look at in on paper. However, they work you non-stop (with limited breaks) during the busy season and then you barely work at all during slow season (causing the majority of your paycheck go to benefits).
They have very strict measurments, expecting you to be nearly perfect not long after you start. They may write you up and possibly terminate your employment over very minor human errors (even if you are a new employee).
If you do work here, second shift seems to be more employee friendly.
They company could benefit (and have less turnover) from giving more positive feedback towards even the struggling employees, easing up on the measurements, and meeting with employees if they are showing signs of being disinterested in their job (to help encourage them).
Overall morale is low here.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
Short lunch, short breaks, strenuous work, unrealistic expectations, points program with little to no exceptions, by the book, poor communication, hard to hear what automated headsets are saying and background noise may interefere with job duties