Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Fun workplace and environment
Operational Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PADecember 15, 2017
I really enjoyed this position. Retail sales but working with crafter's was always interesting! The stores I worked in had fantastic managers and were organized and positive in their direction and feedback.
Love this store
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, CADecember 14, 2017
I know retail isnt the best way to make a living, but I do enjoy stocking, frame shop, working at the register. I enjoy interacting with customers, finding out what they are making and just talking to different people.
Pros
Discount in store
Cons
Hours and pay not great
good for part time work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CADecember 13, 2017
difficult to make a living with the amount of hours available. most people are students or housewives looking for extra money. hours are limited once the holidays are over. also want a long list of tasks completed with minimal staffing.
A learning experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LADecember 13, 2017
The only true reason why I enjoyed working at this location, was because of the team members and the regular customers.... DM wasn't much of ANY help, anytime I would call or text with a question i would get referred to another store manager for help & she was HORRIBLE. Rude to team members, customers, etc. and treated everyone as though they were incompetent.
Pros
The customers, the team members
Cons
Alot
Great Part-Time Job
Sales/Jewelry Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ballwin, MODecember 13, 2017
Fun place to work. Learned a lot about sewing and crafting. Loved helping customers choose products they needed to be successful. Management was great and i got to know a lot of the regular customers.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Stressful when understaffed
Fast-paced, and stressful during busiest hours
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WADecember 13, 2017
For the most part the job is relaxing and not too crazy. During the busy days, it can get a bit crazy and stressful. Many employees have to wear multiple hats for tasks to get done. Don't advance unless you're ready for the responsibility. Sometimes management can get a little unprofessional, but for the most part is handled well.
Pros
friendly staff, employee discount
Cons
no benefits for part time, little to no wage increase
productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIDecember 12, 2017
it was a fun place to work. the culture was good and it was just a genuine place and everyone i worked with was amazing in their own ways so definitely apply
Great Place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 12, 2017
Upper management was great, ability to do job daily was great. Wonderful team in store. Fun environment, great peer support within the district. District Manager was a great role model and a great boss.
Pros
Support from DM and Peers
joann review
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCDecember 12, 2017
The management when I first started at joanns was great until the change. No room to grow with the business and for a key holder the pay was very low.
Management is horrible.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 9, 2017
The management is very disrespectful. They don't give you hours that you are suppose to have. The management is very unprofessional. I wouldn't recommend working here.
Pros
Customers are wonderful
Cons
Management is horrible
Too difficult to rate fairly at this time
Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MIDecember 8, 2017
I returned to JoAnn's after my other job was eliminated and at first there was an improvement - we had more staff, arranging breaks and lunches had improved, more staff assisted at the end of the day with keeping the store neat and clean but...after management went over budget with their staffing around the Thanksgiving holiday so our hours have been cut back drastically and when we are working we are short staffed.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
inconsistent hours
Its Okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 8, 2017
I adore mt coworkers, and even enjoyed the work I do most days when the stream of customers is at a steady pace. the thing about Joann though is that the company doenst care about the employees. There are many days when only 2 people are working, which makes it difficult near impossible to get a break when the store requires 2 people to be working it at all times. Countless times have I worked an 8 hour shift and only received 1 15 minutes break or no breaks at all. If the Joann isn't very big then it'll be your job to stock, work the cutting table, run the register, take special orders, and other task which you are expected to do all of in a given day even if its not possible to assist a customer which stocking pipe cleaners, while keeping the store tidu, It's high stress to be torn all diffrent ways. I would not recommend Joann to a friend
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
employee diccount is 20% off which is the same as a regular coupon customers an access daily, poor management, not enough hours, no opputunity for raise or advancement
Typical horrid retail job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 8, 2017
Corporate office is more interested $ than treating their employees well. They treat each store as a franchise location when it clearly is not. They take away working hours during the busy holiday season. Management at store level is poor. I've worked at the same location for years and the quality and dedication of the work ethic has diminished to nothing. The store is a disaster area, and people steal things like crazy because at any given time there are usually only 2 people on the sales floor. Employees have their hours cut just so management can get a bonus in their paycheck for being under the hours corporate says the store should have. Long lines form and there are no extra employees to help. Important information doesn't get passed down to the sales floor, and training happens for one day then management gets annoyed when employees keep asking questions about how to do their job. Provided mandatory sick time for every 40 hours worked but can't use it unless you have a doctors note, unless you are a manager and their hours get cut then they can manipulate the system and use the sick time. No annual performance review, just an annual raise. Receiving room is overflowing with product because corporate keeps sending product and not allowing stores enough time to stock it. Bathrooms constantly keep breaking down and no one wants to take the time to fix the problem, they just keep putting a bandaid on the issue.
Yes there are a lot of complaints here, but they are all valid issues that myself and other employees see regularly. I do enjoy helping people, but it's hard
  more... to do your job to its fullest when you aren't supported.  less
Pros
Talking to people about their crafting projects
Cons
Poor management, low pay, random unsteady hours, overworked and underappreciated
Slow, but still trying to be goal driven
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 7, 2017
A typical work day was actually pretty slow, with few fellow employees and no extra help available. Most coworkers are rude as well. A lot is expected of you in terms of a goal driven environment. Everyone is expected to get referrals for coupons and if not, you will get into trouble.
Great Culture
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORDecember 5, 2017
This was a wonderful entry-level job. Cashier, stocking, fabric cutting, planagramming, and helping with designs. Some physical labor was necessary when stocking and setting up shelves during planagrams. Management was supportive and accommodating when it came to employee needs.
Good starter/Retirement job
Part-Time Team Member (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLDecember 5, 2017
This is a basic retail job. It'll be an easy job if you have a craft hobby that the company caters to so you can answer questions with ease. My store is primarily women who are retired and just need something to do. It does not pay will even at full time if you manage to get the opportunity. If you don't have another job on top of this one, you will be leaving paycheck to paycheck.
Pros
Good coworkers. Management pays for lunches on large sale days.
Cons
Rude customers, Management giving into demanding customers, Get penalized for taking time off, Understaffed, Limited benifits, Very low pay.
Poor management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grosse Pointe, MIDecember 5, 2017
At Jo-Ann's I was not offered many hours per week. The manager scheduled me to work about 10 hours a week. The manger would continuously take away my hours and change my schedule last minute. The mangers were rude most of the time and expected you to learn on your own. The store overall was a negative environment. The store was also always low on necessary items such as singles in the register and large bags. It was honestly ridiculous. I would not recommend this job.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Several schedule changes, not enough hours per week, poor mangement
Fun place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GADecember 4, 2017
I enjoyed working at JO-Ann because I enjoy fabric and sewing . The customers were always talking about what they were going to make at check out It was interesting.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Part-time
Fun place to work if like Fabric and Crafts
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Alpena, MIDecember 4, 2017
A typical day at work includes me working at the cutting counter and cashiering when no other associate is available. I am also responsible for opening/closing the store and resetting planograms. The hardest part of my job is working tirelessly and not being thanked or appreciated. The most enjoyable part of my job is spending time with customers discussing the projects they are working on.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Upper management
Fun, nice environment, fast pace.
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  26583 Carl Boyer Dr, Santa Clarita, CA 91350December 3, 2017
A typical day of work consisted of cleaning the floor in the morning, down stocking products or setting up new areas for the products, work at register or floor and help customers find things. I learned how to do basic retail skills like register, customer service, stocking and down stocking, and unloading for truck days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8