Jo-Ann Stores Employee Reviews in United States

Try your luck at another store.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAApril 16, 2016
The very few positive experiences gave me the ability to continue working for this company. There is no room for advancement, and even if they mysteriously do, they will demote you for the love of the dollar. Worked at the same location for 3+ years and no promotion. Customers constantly bragged about my services on a daily basis, but to corporate a pin on my apron is suppose to pay my bills.
Pros
Get to meet and socialize with people from all walks of life.
Cons
Poor management. Corporate does not care about their employees
Pleasant environment, lack of training
pre-opening associate (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAApril 1, 2016
The people were very nice. The hours were good. The atmosphere was pleasant. I would have liked more complete training.
Pros
good hours, pleasant co-workers
Cons
lack of training
Management sucks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 10, 2016
There were five managers on staff at my location and only one of them wasn't a two-faced catty b****. You got the hours you got, you couldn't change how many (more like how few), and if you couldn't work you had to find your own replacement.

Other than that, it was great. Co-workers were generally awesome (if they were there long enough to get to know them), and customers are overall happy to be there and not rushing or being rude.
Pros
great customers, happy environment
Cons
bad management, low hours, terrible break/lunch schedule, high turnaround
Nice enviroment and friendly people.
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CAMarch 2, 2016
The Managers were very nice and helpful when I had questions about a job I had be told to do. My co-workers were very nice and friendly. My favorite part of the job was working at the cash register.
Pros
nice co-workers, very flexable times
Cons
barely any hours
Horrible management, overbearing/unfair corporate rules, low wages, but hey crafting is fun and some people are nice.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 1, 2016
My experience at JoAnn was horrible as I felt very mistreated and emotionally abused. My manager yelled constantly not only at myself but others, bullying them for doing a job wrong instead of teaching them how to do it properly in the first place. I received about 5 minutes of training for cutting fabric, and when I had questions I was made to feel stupid for not knowing. There was an employee handbook in the break room explaining our rights to breaks, PTO policies, dress code, etc. that I was told to skim over for a few minutes before working and when I asked to go back over it for a more in-depth viewing my manager laughed at me, saying it wasn't that important- right after yelling at me for wearing the wrong kind of shirt.

But aside from one terrible manager, quite a few things at JoAnn bothered me. Corporate gave us ridiculous standards which changed constantly asking us to reorganize when it seemed very unnecessary and overwork ourselves constantly. So many of my coworkers and I took working lunches, rarely got our 15 minute break for every 4 hours working, dealt with out-of-date, confusing, and often broken handheld scanning devices, stayed late (occasionally multiple hours late) trying to keep up with the demands from management, and went home very sore and tired- all for $8.25 an hour. I learned a lot in terms of discipline, cashiering, inventory stocking, and customer service however which has been very helpful. Majority of my co-workers were good people, helpful and understanding, and it was horrible seeing them mistreated too by such a bad system.
Pros
experience to put on a resume, majority good co-workers
Cons
basically everything (pay, hours, management, etc)
I loved JoAnns until I worked there!
Part Time Team member (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAFebruary 25, 2016
I went in for training, if you want to call it that. I had worked in a fabric store I the past, but it was nothing like this. I was given one of the radios (not told how it worked) Got a tour around the store and had a little training at the cutting table. They even tell you exactly how to measure the fabric. You have to "pinch" the fabric and if you don't do it their way, you would have to start over.
After about an hour I was thrown to the wolves. There was never enough cutting staff and customers had to wait a long time.
My first night I was told to empty the trash at the cutting table area. They didn't tell me where the bags were or where to empty it. I asked one of my co workers and they pointed to a door at the back of the store. I had to figure out how to work the trash compactor.
There was always a rush to get out of the store at closing and was NEVER given time to recover the store at the end of the day. The store was so dusty and not just messy, but a total disaster. The manager liked to talk and gossip with others in front of employees. I was embarrassed to work there and I quit. This company could be a big success if they got a management team in that really cared about the customers and customer service instead of just the bottom line!
Pros
Discout
Cons
Lack of training, poor management, messy and dirty store
Seasonal
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marion, INFebruary 16, 2016
I am not one to like jobs that involve the public. However, even though this was only seasonal, I did enjoy working at this craft store. A great team to work with. Eager to help anyone.
Pros
moving around, learning new things, refining my customer service skills
Cons
I was pregnant at the time, so I was physically limited of what I can do
Perfect if you want low pay, long hours and too many managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 12, 2016
Loved Joanns until I worked there. Enjoyed helping the customers and working with the products, but the training and management left everything to be desired. New tasks were rarely explained well, if explained at all, while management-sometimes upwards of 3 managers per shift-would expect the employee to know the fine details. Many times would be reprimanded by a managerfor performing a task given to me by a different manager. Often got spoken down to infront of customers by management for asking a question. Pay was minimum wage, which didn't make up for the rest.
Pros
discount
Cons
management, pay, hours
Most stressful/hostile environment I've ever worked in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  UtahFebruary 6, 2016
I'll start off by saying this job is great for you if you're desperate for a SECOND job, desperately need a flexible schedule, or you're a student with a thick skin who just wants some extra cash. Otherwise, don't waste your time. Management doesn't ever have enough people, so you're rushed into training and thrown to the wolves, basically. I was trained on cut table, register, and stocking in about 2 days time and you're expected to get it.. and fast.

Your hours are a joke. I worked there for about a month and a half and NEVER received an actual schedule. I just got a phone call (or would have to call myself) to ask when I worked, making it impossible for me to plan anything. The job was new, and I wanted to do my best to respect it. I also had an issue with my direct deposit and every time I asked a manager about it, they politely told me we could "do it next time I worked". Uhh?

The pay for associates (and managers too, honestly) is awful unless you've worked there for YEARS. Every year you get a small raise, regardless of skill. You and your possibly lazy coworker essentially get the same treatment for sticking it out. They pride themselves on "team" joanns but in my experience, it really felt like "veteran employees" vs. "new employees". Anytime I struggled or had a question, it was this great big burden. It was as if these people couldn't recall being new in an environment in their entire lives. I constantly see them hiring on indeed because they can't keep people in this store! I can't even begin on the ridiculous corporate rules the poor managers have to enforce.
  more...

I was paid a miserable 7.25 for my time, which I wouldn't have minded as much had I gotten more than 12 hours a week. If you're really interested in working at a craft store, I'd pick a different one!
Pros
Flexible schedule, Breaks
Cons
Too many to list.
it is what it is
Part Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  West Roxbury, MAFebruary 6, 2016
was not a miserable job but they consistently hired unqualified workers for part time instead of giving the good ones fulltime hours. they did this to avoid paying benefits
Fun and Respective
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHFebruary 3, 2016
Jo-Ann Fabrics was a very good place to work at. I was very appreciative I got the chance to work with those woman. I got treated with respect, and they were understanding of working around my college classes. The hardest part of the job was learning where everything in the store was, so I could help answer a customer's question. I learned that even though learning new things can be frustrating, there are people to help you until you figure it out.
Pros
friendly co-workers and customers
Great place to work. All levels of management are available.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Conyers, GAFebruary 3, 2016
JoAnn's is a fun place to work. Helping people with their projects and seeing the ends results when they bring it in is gratifying. The opportunities to advance are there as long as there is a position. The hardest part of the job is getting everything done in the timeframe giving and with the amount of help on hand.
Pros
The ability to be creative
Cons
Not enough payroll hous
Overall, the bad outweighed the good.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
I worked at Jo-Ann's for almost 2 years. I enjoyed the customers and my co-workers, but definitely an underpaid job for the amount of work you're expected to do. I got along with most of the managers, and my co-workers for the most part were pretty cool, but overall I wouldn't recommend working for this company unless you are really desperate for some retail experience. It is pretty much a dead end job with no chance of any advancement. A typical day at work, you would either be stationed at the cash register, cutting counter, or very rarely as a "floater" (Our store was very often understaffed, so we didn't have many of these.) Through out the day, you would be given tasks such as following planograms, stocking new merchandise, etc. Closing was ridiculous on most days. We would usually close with only 3 people (One on register, one at the cutting counter and one manager) so essentially, you are responsible to clean 1/3 of the store all while still doing your job at your stationed position and trying to get out before you hit overtime. Management tried their best, but they were either overworked or barley working, which meant they were usually pretty grumpy. They are extremely flexible with Team Member's who are also students, which was one great thing about the job... but overall, the bad outweighed the good.
Pros
Good Discount, Flexible Hours, Creative Environment, Retail Experience
Cons
Short Breaks, Understaffed, Underpaid, Overworked, Hour Cuts, Corporate Policies
Most stressful environment I ever worked in.
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHNovember 26, 2015
This was the worst place to work! There is very little training and very high expectations. The payroll structure is unrealistic, you were expected to run a large format store with yourself and four part-time people if you were lucky. I spent most of my time cashiering or standing at the front door trying to get customers to sign up for coupons.
There is very little training for anyone in the store including managers, it's a fly by the seat of your pants attitude. The register and handhelds were always breaking causing major issues.
The company has "items of the month" that they want everyone to push and stores are penalized if customers don't want to buy a purchase with purchase bag or some $1 soap. They consider this "selling" but don't seem to realize that if they had more staff on the floor to actually help the customers that the sales would go up! We would find abandoned carts filled with merchandise around the store because customers couldn't find anyone to help them.
I've never worked in such a negative,stressed environment. The district manager was a bully and the management team all seemed to accept that this was just how it was.
The new upper management at corporate restructured the company again cutting the wages and positions of employees across the nation giving them 24 hours to decide if they would take the cut and stay or leave. You were not given all of the info you needed and trying to get through to HR was a joke! I have never seen such beaten down employees that just seem to accept that this is how Joann's operates and that they don't have a choice
  more... but to accept it.
My advice is to stay far away from this company, don't get sucked into the negative,overworked and underpaid environment.
Pros
Some nice co-workers
Cons
See the review
Staff was very supportive to the new Store opening.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CANovember 18, 2015
I was very pleased to be working in the Valley during the Summer vacations; eventhough it was Seasonal, I can say that it was a good experience been part of the inside rebuilding of the store for a new opening.
Pros
I was inspire with all their merchandise.
Cons
Everything customers came and asked for sounded unfamiliar to me.
Great place, friendly coworkers and customers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXNovember 9, 2015
Great place to work. Management is kind and willing to work with you. The pay is not too great but as a part time job this is great. You are on your feet all day but you keep busy. If you enjoy arts and crafts, this place really is fun.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, fun environment
Cons
Minimum wage
Awful.
Cashier/Cutting Counter (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, NYNovember 5, 2015
Don't apply for this job thinking that it's just a small, part time craft store position. The work is awful, the customers are worse and the store manager makes me want to quit with nothing else lined up. My co-workers are great, don't get me wrong, but the two main managers are nasty, belittling, and do not know how to run this store. You work long, labor intensive hours for next to absolutely nothing. Not worth it. Go to McDonald's.
Pros
Nice co-workers sometimes
Cons
Literally everything else
Restructure unfair
Operations, Receiving Manager, Retail Auditor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 3, 2015
Loved working for the company. The customers are the best part of the job. Restructures within the company are unfair and unjust.
Pros
Great Team Members
Cons
No job security
4 CEO's in 10 years makes for an unpredictable workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHNovember 2, 2015
The company is trying to reinvent itself.
Effort is made to make the environment enjoyable.
Generous PTO policy.
Flexible work hrs.
Want out of Retail
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 30, 2015
The company expects everything done without giving any labor hours to do so. The expectations are unobtainable, even for those of us who are used to working with a sense of urgency, on your feet, hours upon hours. It isn't worth it.

2.9