Jo-Ann Stores

Jo-Ann Stores Employee Reviews

Not a professional work environment
inventory control clerk (Former Employee), Hudson, OHMay 10, 2015
Pros: decent breaks
Cons: poor management, training, and communication
Worked for this company as an inventory clerk. Co-workers were great, however the management team was awful. The team leader was rude and unprofessional. The training was poor at best. You are expected to know things you were not trained on and it is held against you. The supervisor was a weirdo who at times never left her office unless she was hiding around the corner spying on working people. This is a company I would never work for again!
Great Coworkers, crazy boss, unstable environment
Team Member (Former Employee), Rockford, ILApril 23, 2015
Pros: Employee Discount
Cons: Boss was tempermental
Not a big fan, coworkers were great, customers were friendly, most people were happy and it was a family environment, however the main boss was rude and unprofessional over all
Creative and driven
Senior Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee), Hudson, OHApril 16, 2015
Pros: I love my job; creative and financially challenging
Cons: work/life balance
I love my job. I love the people I work with. I love to work. My financial acumen is solid, and I am creative and driven. I need to have more flexibility as a mother, and need a position that can accommodate my family's needs.
Liked the people, wish i could have stayed longer.
Store Associate (Former Employee), West Deptford, NJApril 13, 2015
Pros: Near home.
Cons: None.
Nice people to work with, low sales caused them to lay me off. Wish it was my first job back in 2004, and kept working there.
Horrid Working Situations
Cashier (Former Employee), Ridgecrest, CaliforniaApril 11, 2015
Pros: Slight discount
Cons: management, not a team environment, drama, rude behaviour
When I first started here, it seemed like they were friendly but after about two weeks, the management started treating me like garbage (with the exception of two). When you had a question, it was like you were intruding and usually wouldn't answer the questions thus wasting more time. Also, are you a college student? This place is NOT for you. They say they encourage education, B.S. all they want is money, they could care less about their workers' lives. I had to remind the managers at least five times about my college schedule after I had already provided a schedule. Lastly, these people are just rude. They may smile and be helpful with you but when you walk out of the door, it's like a group of gossiping hormonal teenagers went lose among them. I would not reccomend working here to anyone.
looking for more part time hours
Back up on Cashier (Current Employee), holbrookMarch 19, 2015
Pros: love were i work
Cons: not many hours
love the job a work day for me is Helping Customers,Back up on Cashier,Signing people up for texting program,Stocking. I have learned how to work register.
Great brand.
Region Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), Arlington Heights, ILMarch 8, 2015
Solid employer. Need more comprehensive training programs. Customers are very loyal to the brand. More recognition is needed for hourly employees.
Mangement Issues
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Redlands, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: worked with school schedule (more or less)
Cons: no extra compensation, management was terrible, terrible hours, and under appreciated.
Working a Jo-Ann Stores was alright. There is really no opportunities for advancement. For all one's hard work, there is little to know increase in salary. One could work twice as hard as one individual, and they both the receive the same 15 cent raise per year. Employees are not rewarded for the good work they do, but if one thing is done wrong they are reprimanded. The pay was terrible, and scheduling was horrific. Laws were not followed in terms of having 8 hours between shifts. During the holiday season, you can work until 11-1130, and be required to be back at work the following day at 4 or 5 am. This is typical, and when brought up to management, they did not care.
jo ann
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: 30 min break
Cons: split breaks
i love working with people i love helping others i love working with my hangs packing stuff unloading i love it all the pay is good really nothing to hard for me if you show me one time i catch on real quick with no exception.
Steady paced relaxed enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Owings Mills, MDJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: walkie talkies to communicate
Cons: short breaks, too quiet
Busy weekends and evenings with a rush of excited shoppers looking to get into new projects. Cut Above incentives to keep employees on top of customer service.
Easy job,
team member (Current Employee), azJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: nice customers who give you cool stuff they make
Cons: no common sence, bad management
The job is east, stock product and help customers. If the management had a clue or some common sense it would be a great job. Joann hirers warm body's with no common sense and no skills.
High paced work enviornment
Sales associate/Key Holder (Former Employee), Olympia, WADecember 30, 2014
Usually when I arrived at work it was flurry of things to do with little to no communication. I learned how to help unhappy customers who would expect our store to carry everything required for their projects. Management helped out enough to smooth over what customers wanted but often left the employee to deal with repercussions.
The most difficult part of working there was dealing with unhappy women who had to wait in order to get their fabric cut. Customers would sometimes become belligerent even when it was their turn to get their fabric cut.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was in management and I was able to help alleviate some of the tension. If the customer had a problem I made it clear that I could help them and that the employee was right to call for me. I liked keeping my employees happy and it made them feel safe, so that if their was a problem they didn't feel concerned about coming to me about the situation.
Too much stress, not worth it
Cashier (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLDecember 21, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, simple clean-up duties
Cons: terrible customers, demanding job
Loved my coworkers, they were all super friendly and understanding. Hated the customers, and the store was CONSTANTLY understaffed. Was practically driven to tears several times by old ladies who didn't pay attention to the fine print on sales signs and took it out on me, customers who demanded separate transactions to save pennies with different coupons, having to answer the phone and be the only cashier on duty while eight people in line yelled at me for not checking people with carts full of 20+ items out fast enough. I turned in my two-weeks notice after two weeks of working there.

In the evenings and before closing the store calmed down and was a nice environment but the peak was about 12-3 of either there being NO customers in line, to everybody and their dog deciding to check out at the same time.

Customers around my age were excellent, I would not recommend taking the job if you live somewhere with a high concentration of entitled old people.
Fun place to work and manage
Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 3, 2014
Pros: fun place, fast paced
Cons: they would not re-hire me
It was my mistake for leaving the company. I was a manager for many years, had a great passion for the position, people and the company. Was a tough company, high standards, but i did learn a great deal with those standards. Wish i could get back with them.
Every day was customer focused, got to be very friendly and open with all of the guests.
OK
Seasonal Part-time Team Member (Former Employee), Hillsboro, ORNovember 17, 2014
It was my first retail job. Nice people, but the fabric was hard on my hands.
Awful place
Sales associate (Current Employee), Newark DEAugust 14, 2014
Pros: employee discount (not really worth it anymore)
Cons: short breaks, poor business management, awful guest
Store 2063 is a sorry excuse. We have very little hours to give out, which I understand is corporates fault, but organizing the schedule so the optimal work done each day is not done. In fact my GM just has the computer throw it together which has made a bad situation worse.
The stores a mess because no one is available to do recovery because they are to busy helping up front or on the cutting counter to help the ONE person scheduled for register or cutting counter. And generally they do this for several hours and then leave 30 mins after the other person scheduled for there position shows up.
Some of the customers are simply horrendous. They want us to kneel down and kiss there butts and give them whatever they want. They want us to take EXPIRED coupons (yeah customers they expire, those dates aren't put at the top for decoration!) and to do their shopping for them! They will ask questions and try to force am answer from us when we explain we don't really know the answer. They get made when we can't hold their hand and guide them through every little step. Don't know what your doing? Look it up on the Internet or take a class. Don't come in expecting me to figure out everything for you.
ESPECIALLY if you are making curtains, shower curtains, or reupholstering something. They is no standard size for these objects. We will help you figure out what you need if you provide us w/ the needed info ie measurements, price range, etc. we can't magically figure everything out! Do not come up there and expect us to explain how to do/make something step by step. We do not have the time – more... for that, because we always have so few people.
And for you customer stop coping an attitude when I refuse to bend/break the rules for you. I will not take expired coupons, and I will not take online / app / phone coupons more than once, because it says below each one that they are just like regular coupons and are ONE TIME use. I will not let you purchase one item at a time and let you reuse the same coupon on each item.
But of course the managers come up and breaks the rules and give the guest what they want, telling them they will do it just this one time. There is NOTHING stopping a customer from coming back and pulling the same babyfied fit again and again and again. We are bleeding profits because of this.
And then the managers and corporate turns around and gets on the employees when the sale goal isn't met. Well maybe if you didn't have us constantly shoving coupons out, and allowing these guest to constantly break the rules we wouldn't have these problems! – less
I didn't not enjoy working for my boss.
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee), Visalia, CAAugust 13, 2014
Making sure all the merchandise is been load to the right truck for the specific store. Making sure that is departing in a timely matter to get their destination.
The hardest part of the job was the terrible culture that the boss has created. He made the office feel very hostile toward everyone that didn't kiss is butt. I got sick for been so stress and depress that I practically call in sick. Eventually I left the job because I just couldn't get better physical and mentally as long the boss was there.
not a fun place to work
team member (Former Employee), maryland 1951August 1, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: short hours, low pay, bad training
Store 1951 sucks, the employees are impatient and don't train you the right way, the managers are awesome but the pay is little and the houra are little.
Very crafty
Customer Service Assignments (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2014
I loved working with the people and seeing all the different crafts the people would make!
Unprofessional and hostile work environment
Associate (Former Employee), KingstonJuly 7, 2014
Pros: good for people who do drugs
Cons: cheap unfriendly management no hours
If your looking for a job were the employees are treated like garbage and get no hours or respect...well here you go. The management team is horrible. They talk down to you and expect you to know how to do certain tasks that you were not taught. If your a new employee here they will have you shadow someone that has been working there for a week. After your first day of training that's it your done. They throw you to the wolves. Good Luck. They pay horrible if you have over 10 years of retail experience they will start you out at the lowest pay rate possible. If you happen to close with a manager or another employee prepair to get mad because ur trusting manager will be sitting in the office/break room all night. None of the managers want to deal with the customers. Employees here don't do there jobs they like to leave it for the next person. Oh and they like to talk about each other behind there backs. A lot of backstabbing and high school situations are there. Managers play favorites. Hours there are ridiculous one week you will have 35 hours and the next week you have 10 hours. Jo-Ann's is a very dusty discussing place. No one ever cleans there, and only do so when higher ups come for a visit. The customers are horrible too. Since they have no hours at the store the customers complain and a lot of the time they expect you to figure out there projects and if you don't sew you better be ready to get your head cut-off. Managers expect you to follow the rules, but apparently the rules don't apply to them. This job is perfect if you are into drugs though, that's a plus...they don't – more... do drug test probably bc they can't afford it. If you are good at crafts and love creating and your an old lady who just wants to get a job just to get out of the house, you'll probably die early than normal because your stress will go up because they will stick you at the register all day by yourself, and when you call for back-up be ready to get ignored by management because they think they are about running a register. – less

1 2 3

About Jo-Ann Stores

With 800 stores, and growing, in 49 states, we're the nation's largest specialty retailer of fabrics and one of the largest – Read more

Jo-Ann Stores Salaries