Joann Fabrics

Joann Fabrics Employer Reviews

Bad company plan, poor management and no real room for improvement.
Full time team member (Current Employee), Brookfield, CTAugust 7, 2014
Pros: if you are a crafty and creative person/sewer, you may enjoy your interaction with customers who do the same.
Cons: management clicks, typically poor customer service, having to argue with customers over coupons(or watch), picking up the slack where others do not. lot's of employee bias.
In any Joann store you will find that the management is always involved in an inner circle and if you are not a part of that circle, you will be picking up their slack and over-working yourself. At any given time under the employee contract you sign(management or not) you are expected to work any area of the store upon business needs. One employee was – more... exempt(after making sexist/bigot remarks on the gender and orientation of the people who should work these areas, such as the cutting counter.). On top of this, management defended his stance and told me that he should not say those things but did not proceed with any action as to him working these areas or not. By picking up the slack I mean the management will typically sit in the office and play on their cell phones while you(being a full time team member) will run around back and forth answering all back up calls and assisting customers on your own with only one cashier and one person cutting.(there have been days where I had to do both). I was also given this job under the impression I would be a freight coordinator and for about 6 months that is what I did. Now I am only at the registers or the cutting counter while the management essentially gave my position away without even speaking to me(the employee who has taken my responsibilities curses like a sailor and always has an attitude). The store that I work in is a pretty terrible atmosphere and does not feel very welcoming. The customer service of most employees is terrible and I have watched management argue with customers over a 20 cent discount(losing a sale and a customer) It is unfortunate that I feel my talents and skills are wasted and go unappreciated. For anyone looking for a part time job with no real responsibilities and a lot of disrespect to go with it, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a full time job, the answer is no. – less
Worst Job Experience in my life
Floor Sales Person (Former Employee), Merrillville, INAugust 7, 2014
Pros: 20% discount, nice coworkers
Cons: poor management! no schedule days, little pay
This was by far the worst job I have ever experienced and I hope to never experience a job like this again. I love the store, but I will NEVER step foot in this particular store again. When I applied for this job it was a temporary job to move everything into the store before the grand opening and I quote "no experience in retail needed" and that they – more... will teach us the retail business. After the weeks of setting up the store and training, the time came where the managers would decide who stayed with the store and who was let go.

First mistake, not letting anyone go. There were too many of us and this store doesn't have a craft classroom so there are not many spots to fill. I worked on the floor as a salesperson for two weeks until the fateful day I called to see when my next scheduled day was and I got "You are not on the schedule this week, call back at the end of the week." ....ok? Next week, same thing so I go in to talk to the manage who hired me. The manger said to get everyone working evening they are doing some kind of scheduling where it's two weeks working and two weeks off. Mind you, this kind of scheduling sucks when you have bills to pay! My "two weeks" off go by and guess what, I'm not on the schedule.

I was upset and I am still upset. I would have been happy to have been let go at the beginning when they should have people go. To this day that manager has NOT called me to tell me that i no longer work for Joann's and I still get mail about insurance benefits for working at Joann's thus I guess I'm still employed. I'm still waiting for this call.

Now I am happily working as a pizza deliverer and making more money then I did at Joann's.

I can not and will not say all Joann's stores are bad to work at, but I can and will gladly refer you to a different store then the one in Merrillville.

Thank you. – less
Part-time job with inconsistent work schedule
Cashier (Former Employee), Bloomingdale, ILAugust 2, 2014
I rang up customer purchases and I learned how to properly verify identity when customers would write a check and to properly verify the authenticity of large dollar bills (i.e., a $50 or $100); I learned how to do these things in a fast-paced environment as the day progressed. Co-workers were friendly and helpful if you needed help, which made for – more... a good work environment. The hardest part about the job was the work schedule; I wanted a steady amount of hours per week(i.e., 20-30 hours) when I only received 5-10 unless someone else was willing to give me their hours. Most management made their expectations known, but were inflexible with the work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the customers at my check lane by making sure they had everything they needed to complete their project. – less
Good Experience over all
Associate (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 31, 2014
The Management was fair and understanding, and my coworkers were easy to get along with. However there was not much along the lines of the benefits,
customer service
part time sale associate (Former Employee), Crest Hill, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: store closed
like all other employees i had to help customers at the cutting counter for fabric, the register, also clean, stock inventory, help with the deliveries in the big trucks we would get, got boxes out of truck, opened them, then assorted them to certain parts of the stores in different shopping carts.
Working at Joann Fabrics
CSR (Former Employee), South Burlington, VTJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flexable scedule, great customers and wonderful products
Cons: you don't get paid on time, or when you are suppose to.
While I have enjoyed working for Joann Fabrics through out the years, and in different locations nationwide I have found their internal business operations to be poorly maintained. A normal day in any store consists of recovery, stocking when not busy, and providing cutting services to customers who want fabric cut. I loved interacting with my co-workers, – more... the customers and getting to know the product. – less
Cashier and merchandiser
Merchandiser & Cashier (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NYJuly 11, 2014
Worked here during college, during breaks and the summer. I enjoyed the job however one of the managers was not pleasant to work with, everyone else was great!
Great!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJuly 9, 2014
A typical work day started with the checking of materials and monetary gain with depostis in the back. Later and overview of store for cleaniness in addtion to helping customers.
Fabric store.
Sewing Instructor (Current Employee), Pembroke PinesJune 23, 2014
I just recently was hired as a sewing teacher. As of this time I have not had a chance to show my skills. I am on a waiting list to teach classes.
Productive and easy to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lake Wales, FLJune 20, 2014
I would clock in and get right to work. The co workers were very funny and enjoyable to work with. I loved the managers there and they are great people to work for
Good company to work for
Sales Floor (Former Employee), Holland, MIJune 10, 2014
Helping customers find product, register, stocking. Management was good. Not any conflicts with one another.
an unprofessional company
Assistant manager (Current Employee), Cockeysville, MDJune 5, 2014
Pros: great discount plus i gained a lot of experience
Cons: unprofessional management, health care
I enjoyed working for this company for the first year, but it soon went down hill. The environment became hostile very quickly and there was a lot of unprofessionalism. I had an employee come to me in tears because the store manager said something rude to her.
Medicore work enviorment
Team Member (Former Employee), Brandywine, MDJune 3, 2014
Pros: discount on certain items
Cons: short breaks, hectic enviornment
Clock in and work the register for however long your shift was. On a regular day you didn't learn anything new, only when a manager from a different store filled in for one of our managers. They would inform you that you were doing something wrong. Certain mangers were lazy and chose not to help out when needed, although that wasn't the case for all – more... of them. My coworkers were very down to earth and helpful . The hardest part of the job was when they were too many customers in the store and not enough employees, it was very hectic and customers were very rude and impatient. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping a customer find everything that they came to get. – less
NOT A GREAT ENVIORMENT TO WORK
Cashier Cut Counter Stocker (Former Employee), Mankato MNMay 23, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: no respect
Work was very strenuous and the management was in clicks not a good work environment at all
I did learn about fabrics on my own time not a whole lot of deep fabric training
The management made it hard to want to go to work they were all very clicky and they were mean. They were not understanding about medical issues and they decided who was in and who – more... was a outcast.
CoWorkers the people who were not clicked in with Management were very kind and helpful they were the only fun part about the job.
The hardest part of the job was having to wake up and head to work knowing how the management treated me. I DREADED going to work.
The best part of the job was working with certain coworkers and of course getting to know my customers they always had amazing and fun ideas they were always willing to share. – less
enjoyed my time
warhouse picker/temp (Former Employee), Hudson, OhioMay 20, 2014
Pros: hours, pay
Cons: not unerstanding management
I enjoyed my time there i got let go after a car accident forced me to go home early!
Great company
Customer Service & First Cutter (Former Employee), Concord, NHMay 16, 2014
Pros: nice people to work with
Cons: not enough room for advancement or to utilize my skills sets
It was great working in a very friendly and creative environment where Inspiration was the theme of the day. Helping customers get the tools they needed for their creative projects were demanding but fulfilling.
Fun and crafty
Merchandising manager (Former Employee), Westminster, MDMay 4, 2014
customer focused, price audits, merchandising new product to planogram
Great Workplace
Sales Floor/ Education coordinator (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 22, 2014
Pros: productive and fun workplace
Great workplace and good benefits. Management is great enjoy working with all my co-workers.
Below average work environment.
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 22, 2014
Pros: discount on merchandise
Cons: lack of leadership
Loved working but the work environment was difficult. A lot of customer complaints because of long lines and low staffing.
treated customers very well
Cashier (Former Employee), owings mills mdApril 20, 2014
was able to assist customers in person and telephone assist at the fabric department

1 2 3 4 5