Joann Fabrics

Joann Fabrics Employer Reviews

Upper management sets unrealistic labor goals.
Opener, Closer, Key Holder, Freight Manager (Former Employee), Stillwater, OKSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: very flexible schedules and usually nice employees.
Cons: tm's are generally treated as easily replaceable. very impersonal upper management.
My GM was constantly under stress from regional and district managers about cutting payroll to achieve labor goals. Then they would turn around and complain that she didn't schedule enough TM's to reach sales goals/complete stocking. It was a lose/lose for my GM and she worked very hard. However, I felt my hard work was appreciated by my GM which it – more... made the job rewarding. – less
Interesting Place to Work
Team Member (Current Employee), Township of Cranberry, PASeptember 23, 2014
I enjoy learning new things. A lot of guests are regulars so you get to know them and the different projects that they are doing. When working in the framing department you get to see all the interesting pieces guest bring in to get framed.
temparary job
Clerk (Former Employee), New Philadelphia, OHSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: liked working with my co-workers
Cons: it was only temparary
worked at the building that was moving to a different store, was selling everything in the old store while other people was working on getting the other store put together.
Stocker / Cashier
Cashier, Stocking, Customer service (Former Employee), Altamonte Springs, FLSeptember 17, 2014
Stocked merchandise from weekly truck, cashier and customer service
A fun place to work
assist customers (Former Employee), Altamonte Springs, FLSeptember 14, 2014
I worked with very friendly people. Sometimes the physical labor was a bit much.
I truly enjoyed my co-workers.
Creative place to work
Freight Coordinator/Manager (Current Employee), Parkville, MDSeptember 11, 2014
Rate of pay is low because it is retail, but co-workers are great.
Creative and positive work environment
Framing Specialist, Sales Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 31, 2014
Pros: comfortable, positive management, creative, good benefits
Cons: low pay
Each day is slightly different at JoAnn fabrics. It takes a lot of imagination, thinking, and creativity to work at a place with so many crafts. The management I had experienced was understanding and fair.
Active work
Pre-Opening Associate (Former Employee), Merrillville, INAugust 23, 2014
Come in. Set up pegs and shelves using the planograms. Lift boxes full of products and put into place.
Fun place to work
Craft Coordinator (Former Employee), New Hartford, NYAugust 20, 2014
unbox deliveries, restock, help customers with what they need for a project.
Busy, fun, and family oriented workplace that teaches good work ethics, and makes you proud to be a part of their company.
Cashier; Customer Service (Current Employee), Newington, CTAugust 19, 2014
Pros: incentive programs to improve moral; free classes, rewards for doing good work.
Cons: they provide healthcare if you can afford it, not enough pay.
While at work the first thing I need to do is make sure all the front end supplies are replenished and the register areas are clean for the other cashiers that will be helping me during the day. Next I delegate tasks that need to be done daily, unless my manager asks them to do something else to get the store ready for sales that day. Then I answer – more... phones, assist guests with finding items, preform returns, enter guests into "J-class," for when guests want to learn a craft that we are teaching. I also ring up guests when the lines are long. The most difficult part of the job is to stay organized so I can give the best customer service I can so our guests keep coming back. (Especially when there are not enough cashiers; or mechanical problems; or just when we are extremely busy during the holidays.) My favorite part of the job is helping others accomplish what they set out to do on that particular day, by helping them get everything they need for what they are doing on a particular project. My co-workers are hard working and helpful and are wonderful to work with. Most of the management is well rounded but there are occasions when even they get overwhelmed with some particular task. What I have learned over the years is that if you work hard, cooperate, and do your job to the best of your ability; life is very rewarding. – less
Great opportunity to inspire creativity within the customers
Operations Team Leader (Current Employee), Ames, IowaAugust 10, 2014
Pros: working with great customers
Cons: no breaks and lunch most days
Great customers and lots of fun inspiring their creativity and seeing them return to show off their projects and start new ones.
Bad company plan, poor management and no real room for improvement.
Full time team member (Current Employee), Brookfield, CTAugust 7, 2014
Pros: if you are a crafty and creative person/sewer, you may enjoy your interaction with customers who do the same.
Cons: management clicks, typically poor customer service, having to argue with customers over coupons(or watch), picking up the slack where others do not. lot's of employee bias.
In any Joann store you will find that the management is always involved in an inner circle and if you are not a part of that circle, you will be picking up their slack and over-working yourself. At any given time under the employee contract you sign(management or not) you are expected to work any area of the store upon business needs. One employee was – more... exempt(after making sexist/bigot remarks on the gender and orientation of the people who should work these areas, such as the cutting counter.). On top of this, management defended his stance and told me that he should not say those things but did not proceed with any action as to him working these areas or not. By picking up the slack I mean the management will typically sit in the office and play on their cell phones while you(being a full time team member) will run around back and forth answering all back up calls and assisting customers on your own with only one cashier and one person cutting.(there have been days where I had to do both). I was also given this job under the impression I would be a freight coordinator and for about 6 months that is what I did. Now I am only at the registers or the cutting counter while the management essentially gave my position away without even speaking to me(the employee who has taken my responsibilities curses like a sailor and always has an attitude). The store that I work in is a pretty terrible atmosphere and does not feel very welcoming. The customer service of most employees is terrible and I have watched management argue with customers over a 20 cent discount(losing a sale and a customer) It is unfortunate that I feel my talents and skills are wasted and go unappreciated. For anyone looking for a part time job with no real responsibilities and a lot of disrespect to go with it, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a full time job, the answer is no. – less
Worst Job Experience in my life
Floor Sales Person (Former Employee), Merrillville, INAugust 7, 2014
Pros: 20% discount, nice coworkers
Cons: poor management! no schedule days, little pay
This was by far the worst job I have ever experienced and I hope to never experience a job like this again. I love the store, but I will NEVER step foot in this particular store again. When I applied for this job it was a temporary job to move everything into the store before the grand opening and I quote "no experience in retail needed" and that they – more... will teach us the retail business. After the weeks of setting up the store and training, the time came where the managers would decide who stayed with the store and who was let go.

First mistake, not letting anyone go. There were too many of us and this store doesn't have a craft classroom so there are not many spots to fill. I worked on the floor as a salesperson for two weeks until the fateful day I called to see when my next scheduled day was and I got "You are not on the schedule this week, call back at the end of the week." ....ok? Next week, same thing so I go in to talk to the manage who hired me. The manger said to get everyone working evening they are doing some kind of scheduling where it's two weeks working and two weeks off. Mind you, this kind of scheduling sucks when you have bills to pay! My "two weeks" off go by and guess what, I'm not on the schedule.

I was upset and I am still upset. I would have been happy to have been let go at the beginning when they should have people go. To this day that manager has NOT called me to tell me that i no longer work for Joann's and I still get mail about insurance benefits for working at Joann's thus I guess I'm still employed. I'm still waiting for this call.

Now I am happily working as a pizza deliverer and making more money then I did at Joann's.

I can not and will not say all Joann's stores are bad to work at, but I can and will gladly refer you to a different store then the one in Merrillville.

Thank you. – less
Part-time job with inconsistent work schedule
Cashier (Former Employee), Bloomingdale, ILAugust 2, 2014
I rang up customer purchases and I learned how to properly verify identity when customers would write a check and to properly verify the authenticity of large dollar bills (i.e., a $50 or $100); I learned how to do these things in a fast-paced environment as the day progressed. Co-workers were friendly and helpful if you needed help, which made for – more... a good work environment. The hardest part about the job was the work schedule; I wanted a steady amount of hours per week(i.e., 20-30 hours) when I only received 5-10 unless someone else was willing to give me their hours. Most management made their expectations known, but were inflexible with the work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the customers at my check lane by making sure they had everything they needed to complete their project. – less
Good Experience over all
Associate (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 31, 2014
The Management was fair and understanding, and my coworkers were easy to get along with. However there was not much along the lines of the benefits,
customer service
part time sale associate (Former Employee), Crest Hill, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: store closed
like all other employees i had to help customers at the cutting counter for fabric, the register, also clean, stock inventory, help with the deliveries in the big trucks we would get, got boxes out of truck, opened them, then assorted them to certain parts of the stores in different shopping carts.
Working at Joann Fabrics
CSR (Former Employee), South Burlington, VTJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flexable scedule, great customers and wonderful products
Cons: you don't get paid on time, or when you are suppose to.
While I have enjoyed working for Joann Fabrics through out the years, and in different locations nationwide I have found their internal business operations to be poorly maintained. A normal day in any store consists of recovery, stocking when not busy, and providing cutting services to customers who want fabric cut. I loved interacting with my co-workers, – more... the customers and getting to know the product. – less
Cashier and merchandiser
Merchandiser & Cashier (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NYJuly 11, 2014
Worked here during college, during breaks and the summer. I enjoyed the job however one of the managers was not pleasant to work with, everyone else was great!
Great!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJuly 9, 2014
A typical work day started with the checking of materials and monetary gain with depostis in the back. Later and overview of store for cleaniness in addtion to helping customers.
Fabric store.
Sewing Instructor (Current Employee), Pembroke PinesJune 23, 2014
I just recently was hired as a sewing teacher. As of this time I have not had a chance to show my skills. I am on a waiting list to teach classes.

1 2 3 4 5