Job Corps Employee Reviews

Not suggested unless you can deal with other people being rowdy and violent.
Trainee (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 21, 2017
This center is a wonderful place if you need to prepare yourself for a career, but other than that it's not worth your time. The staff are seemingly uncaring about the students, and the other students are often violent and rude.
Pros
Free lunches, free driver's licsense, great for a young person to start a career
Cons
Stay on campus, paid under 25$ every 2 weeks, little to no paid time off.
Great place to get your life started
Multiple Leadership Positions (Former Employee) –  ManyJune 15, 2017
Are you stuck in a rut?
No where to go?
Cant find a job?

Job corps is a free government program that allows you to have room and board at one of many centers and you get to learn a trade, like Culinary Arts, Carpentry, Medical Assisting, and many more
Pros
Free education, free room and board
Nice learning enviroment.
Student in trainning (Former Employee) –  Morganfield, KYJune 12, 2017
My time at Job Corps was not long but it was ok. I was about six weeks in and I finally realized that Job Corps was not for me. I am not saying that in a bad way but something's are not meant to be. They had everything I wanted and love but then again the cons were just out weighing the pros and I could not stay in a environment were I really didn't feel welcomed or safe. Thing's happened and not action was taken so I had to live. Overall everything else was ok.
Pros
Free, an ok experience, nice housing.
Cons
people attitudes drugs just a lot.
Great training security protective services
Student (Former Employee) –  Palmer, AKJune 8, 2017
Job corps its a great for helping young teenager like me and other. They give out free training, provide house, and helping to get a job before leave.
Pros
Free and good food
I liked it a lot
Painter (Former Employee) –  Royal, ARJune 8, 2017
The best part about paint to me would have to have been power washing. I could still right now do it for hours and not get bored of it. I also loved mixing paint.
Pros
I was doing something fun.
A caring place to work
DENTAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Devens, MAJune 7, 2017
Job Corp is a school focused on young people with not so fortunate back rounds, and others who are focused on there future. I love working with the students. I try to educate them and change their negative look on dentistry.The students have a choice to see the dentist or not. My day is always booked with appointments but there are days that no students show up. This varies day to day. I am the only assitant to the doctor and am responsible duties.
Pros
Making a difference and changing young people outlook on oral hygiene
Cons
Some days we only see one or two students
Productive and work place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  MontanaJune 2, 2017
I really loved job corp I got all the experience I needed to be successful with my dreams in life. I really loved​the help given. I love how they treated​ us all equal I refer to having other individuals join job corp too I left back in 2016 of March.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Healthcare
Challenging, but effective
Student/Trainee (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYJune 1, 2017
It helped me get to where I am. It is challenging to work with little kids, but the hard trade programs were all about business. Very experienced instructors and great learning opportunity.
Pros
Live in, hands on experience, knowlagable intructiors.
Cons
16-24 year olds, not everyone wanted to better themselves
layed back
Independent Dorm Advisor - (PRN) (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 31, 2017
the organization over all is okay not very organized not much of advancement the students are great and come from all over greatt programs for students..staff ok but not very organized when it comes down to leadership skills
easy going workplace
Student employee (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 31, 2017
You wake up at 6, expected to leave your doormat a quarter until 8. Eat breakfast is from 6:30 to 7:45. Class starts at 8:15 and ends at 3:45. Now what time you go to iunch really depends on if you're in vocai, academics or if on work base. Now if academics you will spend your day working on reading, writing, math, and how to make a resume. Now if in vocal you will be working on getting certifications and learning the skills you need for the whatever job market you are going into. Work bass you get work experience and learn new skills. Dinner starts at 5 until 6. Two accountability one at 4 the other 9. You are expected to help clean the dorm. Quiet time at 10. Lights out by 11. If you're a non resident student you can 8:15 and that's when your day starts or whatever you're supposed to come in for work bass.
Pros
free food, health care, dental care, room & bored if needed, job placement
Cons
Set wake up time, set bedtime, 9pm curfew weekdays, 1am curfew weedends if you are residence.
organized and friendly
CNA Student (Former Employee) –  Greenville, KYMay 30, 2017
i really enjoed job corps in greenville, ky. people were always very friendly and the instructors really did care, and wanted to help people succeed!!!
very hard worker
Mississippi Job Corps (Former Employee) –  Crystal Springs, MSMay 27, 2017
I love working with my hands. I put my all into everything. I never give up on anything or leave my assignment short handed. I'm willing to help others and learn more at the same time.
Stressful, sometimes very low key, but mostly terrible.
Student (Current Employee) –  Ozark, ARMay 20, 2017
The job corps program is fine; however, the Cass Job Corps center is terrible. I've learned a lot, but my typical day at work is not what it should be.
Pros
Free food, no rent, on center recreational activities, and off center trips and activities.
Cons
Low pay, only one pay raise, and terrible food.
Poor job placement program.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Reno-Stead, NVMay 19, 2017
Job corps is a vocational school meant to teach young adults to work in trades, unfortunately as it is full of young adults, most of what you learn can easily be forgotten or distracting to the social buzz around campus. Most people from job corps do not go to job corps to learn trade, it is a big babysitting camp where kids try not to get jobs.
Pros
Food, shelter, clothing.
Cons
Certain young adults distract others from accomplishing their goals.
was a fun a productive and great with balancing work and personal time
Student - Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDMay 18, 2017
a typical day at work was quick but i learned how to cooperate with others. management was great in culinary but over all the head administrator mail pick up and over all medical clinic had a very lack of care and the lack of attention payed by those parts of the facility. they did balance work out with life very well i got the weekends off and had to work 8-10 hours a day. the hardest part of the job was trying to communicate with a team of 14+ students and 4 different chefs and making sure everyone is on the same page all the time. the best time of my job though was severing all the other students along with helping as much as i can to fit the needs of each individual.
Pros
free lunch, culinary training
Cons
hot environment, lack of pay
productive fun in the work place
Crew Leader/Driver (Current Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CA 91932May 8, 2017
very good culture and team work held in the work area great communication skills. A lot of personality traits required for this type of work. Im a great team leader and like to lead the team and be the one to teach im a fast past learner.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Positive environment, work staff caring
Staff (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMay 6, 2017
Good people work for Job Corps. Most rewarding part of the job is being able to see an applicant become a graduate and secure successful employment.

Not enough positive reinforcement from upper management.

Workplace culture friendly, teamwork environment.
Pros
Annual conferences held in wonderful venues
Cons
Healthcare expensive
job corps is a training facility for many different kinds of labor intensive trades
trainee automechanic (Former Employee) –  Yachats, ORMay 3, 2017
For me personally I liked job corps because they train you on how to do your trade of choice extremely well and how to be a professional at the same time by masters of the trade like the trade I am in which is automotive we have two master auto technicians from the community and they have the reputation for doing the job right the first time and they make sure we get the training we need to be the best we can be for it only being a basic automotive center.
Pros
everything is taken care of by the department of labor
Cons
it can be a fun and productive place
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Palmer, AKMay 2, 2017
there are many opportunities offered at job corps and I hope everyone has a chance to experience something like job corps even when the rules feel unfair and people get on your nerves it will always be something to remember with all my friends
Residential Advisor
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Callicoon, NYMay 2, 2017
Working with students on dorm. Writing daily reports for the state. Checking rooms every two hours. Having daily meetings. Resolving conflicts between students, and assisting with cleaning the dorms.
I learned how to multitask more efficiently and to understand the concerns and needs of the students to make for a better work environment. The work place culture was good. The hardest part of the job was making sure all sixty eight students were being taken care of at the end of the day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the students always showed respect towards me.
Pros
Talking and woking with the students one on one.
Cons
Upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Job Corps. Our community is ready to answer.