Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack Employee Reviews

Mangement was ok, however co-workers were not respectful
Hostess (Former Employee), Bala Cynwyd, PaMay 26, 2015
Pros: Pay was good
Cons: the benefits
A typical day includes coming in cleaning, seating, and greeting. As a host, the servers would often get upset, with me doing my job. No one was allowed to choose there own table or section. That was the managers job, however the servers would get upset when I would follow the managers instructions making it a tense work environment. The most enjoyable part of my day however, was dancing, when it was time to turn the strobe lights on and pick a song to do a group dance too; I had the most fun.
Fun and upbeat workplace with the opportunity to make an average of $30/hr easily if you're great with the guests
Server (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAMay 23, 2015
Pros: 50% off employee meals for you and friends and family, great compensation if working in a tipped position
Cons: No breaks, long hours on your feet, draining, sometimes low employee morale, low support from managers
I worked this job for 6 years and like any serving job it had its ups and downs. Overall, my experience with the company and the job position has shaped my skills as I enter into a different field. The job is engaging and can be a bit high stress but if you can handle the high energy atmosphere it's a great college job giving you the ability to make a lot of money for what it is.
Lots of money, if you like to be stressed and overworked
Shift-leader/Waitress (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMay 21, 2015
Pros: made lots of money, computer system, atmosphere
Cons: management, corperate
I made all kinds of money but the job made me miserable. They took away all of all benefits. We used to get paid vacations, that no longer happens. Then they changed it to a nice bonus check, that only lasted a year. The company makes millions and doesn't care about its employees or its guests. It's absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully one day it will come back and kick them back in the butt. There were some good aspects of the job, like the good money, but not enough to make up for the bad.
Decent money
Server (Former Employee), Mesquite, TXMay 15, 2015
Not a bad job could use better management. Management showed to play favoritism. Other than that fun place to work at and face paced on the weekend.
Fun work environment
Host, Server, and Trainer (Former Employee), Abingdon, MDMay 15, 2015
Joes Crab Shack is a uniquely enjoyable place to work, especially when it is busy. All FOH staff is required to work very hard to maintain an upbeat environment for the guests and staff, and this is accomplished very well.
JCS makes it very easy to work up to other positions within the company, ranging from shift leads to trainers to company spokespersons.
The particular location and which I was employed was one of the slower locations in the company, so the wages were often very low. When business is steady, it is a very enjoyable place to work.
Fun place to work and meet new people.
Hostess (Former Employee), Peoria, ILMay 14, 2015
A fun fast paced job. Constantly moving and helping other workers. Got to meet a famous person when he came in to eat. Had to deal with some rude customers, but the managers were always quick to come in and help.
Server (Former Employee), Hanover, MDMay 12, 2015
Pros: Management, structure, pay, job structure
Cons: None
Great place, lots of fun, you get great sales experience here, management was phenomenal, get approved time off easily, fun place to work, have to dance every 30 minutes, but its so much fun, and not to mention the food is great
Very Fun workplace
Server (Former Employee), San Antonio, TxMay 11, 2015
Hardwork but you have fun working there. You bust your tail everyday when its busy, you take big parties. dancing to songs was the funnest part and doing birthday shoutouts. If your shy thats the hardest part there, itll make you come out of your shell, forsure. Co-workers are good, team work.... Management hmmm just do your job in sell items that your suppose to and theyll stay off your back. tipshare is awful some of the hosts are lazy so your paying out up to $50 for nothing. If you make the hosts mad theyll skip you or will sit you with awful tables ... The hosts are awful , as long as your nice to everyone youll be fine but if you start making enemies your work life will be awful and youll dread it .
New Challenges Faced Every Day
Greeter (Former Employee), Elmhurst, NyMay 6, 2015
Most Enjoyable part was meeting new people everyday. Also everyday i learned something new but the management is not organized and not professional
waitress, customer service
Waitress (Former Employee), sandy utahMay 5, 2015
waited on customers, offer sales an delivered excellent customer service an worked as a team to help each other out! waitress for 2.15 an hour plus tips...
Fun First Job.
Server & Trainer (Former Employee), Garden Grove, CAMay 3, 2015
This is a great place to work for students. Fun and creative environment with easy money. Up-beat and fast paced atmosphere.
It is very productive, fast paced and will always keep you working.
Server (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 29, 2015
Pros: 50% off all menu items
Cons: no break
1) A typical day at work would be answering phone calls at the front desk.

2) Taking walk-in and call-in orders correctly.

3) Making sure to keep up with all transactions and that orders get to the kitchen correctly on time

4)Cleaning tables, bathrooms, and picking up any trash around the restaurant.

5)The Co-workers were not always so cooperative.

6) The most enjoyable part of the day would be greeting the customers and making sure their time there was a fun experience.
My Joe's Experience
Hostess (Former Employee), Jordan LandingApril 24, 2015
Pros: Co-Workers, People, Atmosphere
Cons: Management
I worked as a hostess for 4 months before I left Joe's. I really liked the people that I worked with, I just didn't feel like the management treated every one fairly, and picked more tenured employees, over the new hires. They'd let some employees get away with slacking off because they had known each other for years, but would make the rest of us pick up their slack. And if you did go to them about an issue, it usually wasn't dealt with. For example, none of the servers bused their tables, but the hostesses were expected to bus, sweep, re-set the table, and seat the guests, only seeing 1.5% tip share that you shared with the other hostesses, normally a group of 3-5 people.

Morning shift-- You arrive at 10:30 and had to have the entire restaurant swept, mopped, chairs down, playground/outside patio swept, trash from the parking lot picked up, and all in a half hour. Most of the time, I was lucky enough to get the chairs all down before it was time to open the doors. But once everything got going, the groove was steady. This person leaves when Mid shift arrives.

Mid Shift-- Starts at 3. This happened mostly on the weekends, because we were busier. This person stays until dinner rush is over.

Dinner Shift- Starts at 5;usually isn't done until around 12. The restaurant doesn't close until midnight, so the dinner hostess has to stay to finish closing.

Sometimes they would give you a double shift--coming in at 10:30 to open, getting a break around 3, coming back to work at 5, and leaving around 11, if you were lucky.

I really enjoyed the co- workers I had the chance – more... of meeting. I kept in touch with a few of them, and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to make some friends.

I think that the hardest part of the job was feeling like you were always expected to do way more than hostesses should have been doing. I don't mind helping out when I'm needed, but when you're basically doing everything a server does, except take the orders, and you're getting paid less than a percent in tips to do so, while they stand on the sides and watch with the management, then it became a place I didn't see myself working anymore.

The best part about working their was getting to interact with the customers. I really like working with people, and every person has a different story to tell that you can learn something from.

I know that that may not have sounded like the most positive review, but I didn't mean to put it in that light. I don't think of it as a negative experience. I mean, yes, there were parts that weren't completely enjoyable. But I did take a lot with me when I left there. I learned how the behind the scenes of working in a restaurant, as well as learning to handle dealing with customers in a more personal way. – less
It's a good starter job for anybody interested in the restaurant business.
Server (Current Employee), Hunt Valley, MDApril 23, 2015
Joe's is a good place to start if you never worked in the restaurant business before and wanted to get some experience. Joe's is more of a summer restaurant if you want to really make any real money. Joe's is very laid back place to work, your uniform is a tye-dye shirt, blue jeans and a sports hat (optional).
Fun work place
Hostess/Food Runner (Former Employee), Sandy UtApril 22, 2015
Pros: Breaks
Cons: manger
I was the host and would seat guest as they come. I would let them know all the information about menus and the retail area. You would have to dance every now and again.
Fun place to work if you are very young and/or first job
Host/Hostess (Former Employee), Bossier City, LAApril 18, 2015
The problem with this place was very poor management, lack of organization and communication, which resulted in large turnover of personnel
I didn't mingle with the co-workers after hours because most of them were 1/2 my age and had way too much drama.
I enjoyed chatting with the customers as I was directing them to their table.
Productive and fun work environment
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Duluth, GAApril 17, 2015
At Joe's Crab Shack we worked as a team. I remember it was so busy it had a load of dishes everyone teamed up and start helping. The co-workers their are the best. The management was great.
Typical Serving Job
Server, Hostess, Certified Trainer (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 16, 2015
They allow servers with no experience, must pay biweekly to receive a discount, prices are high, but clientele is terrible
terrible
Manager/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 13, 2015
The culture has really gone down hill over the past 8 years. Corporate does not treat its staff well and seem to have forgotten about the guest. To worried about the bottom line and running skeleton crews along with an over priced menu.
Very fun workplace, kind of cramped
Hostess (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCApril 12, 2015
Everyday there was a lot of people, it was always packed starting around 4, management could seem kind of stern. Co workers were fantastic at showing me my job, however they would also force their part of the job on you. The hardest part of the day was when you have a 12 party table with a ton of dishes, late at night and your feet hurt from walking back and forth so much.

1 2 3 4 5

About Joe's Crab Shack

At Joe's Crab Shack we deliver craveable seafood from the coast to your table. Born in the heart of Texas, we've been serving – Read more

Joe's Crab Shack Salaries