John Deere Employee Reviews

this job has great hours, but no room for advancement or benefits given at current position
export parcel handeler (Current Employee) –  Milan, ILMarch 29, 2016
My typical day at John Deere P.D.C. I start at work at 10:00 a.m. and start sorting and case coding parcels for shipment. I am in charge of 5 different countries and over see all packages being sent making sure audits are completed before shipping. My job is a physically challenging job lifting up to 75 lbs constantly during my 8 hr shift. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with my co-workers we are a great team.
Pros
paid holiday, and hours
Cons
no health care benefits, no room for advancement
Productive place
Melt Engineer (Current Employee) –  IowaFebruary 23, 2016
I start out my day at 6:00am every morning. I give the safety huddle ups for all my employees. Then we go to work. Every day I learn something new in my molding department the casting center of excellence makes all the proto types for John Deere so my hands are on every piece that comes out new. Management spends very little time on the shop floor they just rely on the supervisors to get the work done. I work with several different departments and every person here is here because they want to be here. The hardest part of my job is that I am so busy that some days I just need to catch my breath. The most enjoyable part of my day is the interaction I have with my employees. Over the years I have learned that the employees are the most important thing in any business after all if not for them their would be no business. I end my day every day between 10 and 12 hours most weeks I work 7 days
Pros
The benifits are good and the pay is good.
Cons
Constant Management changing
Nice office and busy work pace
International Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMarch 24, 2016
I had a fast pace environment which I enjoyed as my tasks kept me busy 8 hours or more a day. I had excellent training through a work colleague and appreciated her help when needed. The relationship with the management was very friendly and the lessons learned were tremendous. The hardest part of the job was dealing with co-workers and the best was being busy and seeing immediately the results of my good work and performance.
Pros
Good pay and busy schedule
Cons
No job security
As an employee of John Deere I found the rate of pay to be the most satisfying and the safety concerns are commendable.
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Horicon, WIJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at John Deere was often stressful because of the often hard to sustain work pace. The company offers a bonus based on the rate of production but the standards are often difficult to meet for many people and the bonus is not worth the bodily wear and tear. I learned a great deal about utility vehicles, how they are made and what their uses are. I found management to be biased towards particular individuals, causing animosity amongst coworkers. Most of the coworkers were great and very enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job were the physical requirements and the most enjoyable part of the job was the financial benefits.
Pros
Financial benefits and overtime opportunities.
Cons
Short breaks, long shifts, and physical wear and tear.
High energy workplace!
International Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILMarch 21, 2016
John Deere is a fast-paced, high-energy workplace where you will learn a lot. At the heart, this is an engineering company with very good pay and benefits. There are many opportunities for growth and relocation. Management does a good job of pulling levers when it needs to, therefore, the company continues to flourish even after 175 years since it was founded.
average company
Experimental Cotton Technician (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IADecember 31, 2015
great brand to work for! learned real life skills and a lot about myself.Many different personalities and backgrounds witch I found to help me learn and understand proper useful business ethics. I was required to travel for up to 5 weeks across the country following new products into real operational conditions. I Maintained, documented, and evaluated, performance in the field. When issues arise I was required to determine the cause and relay details to engineering support for fix and testing. These machines weigh up to 80,000 lbs and needed to be setup, operated, and maintained by 1 person and our evaluations were to make this requirement easier for the operator.
Pros
product and benefits
Cons
little to no advancement, high emplyee turnover
Awesome place to work
Software Developer - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAFebruary 24, 2016
Job was great. Management is well established with thorough planning of project tasks. Work life balance is great. Campus is good with reasonably nice environment. Is a good place to settle down unless you are willing to live in a city.
Great Management and Order
Manufacturing Engineering, Internship (Former Employee) –  Thibodaux, LAFebruary 3, 2016
I am impressed with my experience at John Deere. Great Management, and continual growth opportunities as an intern.

A typical day at worked included morning safety meeting at 6 AM, PTC Creo work and time-study filming for the rest of the days. Meetings were regular and useful.

I learned about the importance of safety, the manufacturing process, and use of PTC Creo.

Fantastic management.

Co-workers were fun to be around.
The hardest part of the job was the heat in the factory. I worked during the summer, so it could be very hot when on the floor.

The most enjoyable part of the job was LEARNING SO MUCH. There was alot involved in the manufacturing that I found interesting.
Pros
Order and Precision
Cons
Not much to concern
Great company to work for, spend a career
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  IowaSeptember 5, 2016
Overall an excellent company to work for, but its best to start early in your career and stay a long time. I joined mid-career and although I do not regret it, they definitely like people to come in and move around to get a lot of experience in their systems and processes. The one item, if anything, that does get to me is that, although they will not admit it, your previous experience does not have much relevance. There are a lot of excellent people working for this company and if you do get hired, you will not regret it.
Pros
Benefit package is above the norm.
Cons
Previous experience, gets lost.
Good place to work. Not the "coolest area to live" however.
Systems Electrical Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar FallsJuly 1, 2016
Great day-to-day work. In the Engineering Center, there is always something new to do daily. No monotony! There's good advancement opportunities if you're not a contractor. Hard work goes unnoticed there so make sure people know and recognize your work. The people there are great, nice people, Mid-Westerner are fairly genuine and nice to work with. Hardest part of the job is outside of the job and having to live in a not-so-fun town or Iowa in general, especially if you like city life. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the work you put in going out to the customer and seeing it in production.
Hostile environment, rule with fear, false ego
Core Reciever (Former Employee) –  Stafford, MOJune 4, 2016
It was ok for a paycheck, sociopathic manager, good job for the elderly or if you are kid but not if your looking to be anything other than a dispossable resource or have any sense of self worth.
"IT DOES WHAT IT'S TOLD!" Very inconsitent behavior from some people. I learned a lot of new things that will come in handy elsewhere and provide a better income. Plenty of good info and knowledge to take to another employer. The job made me more valuable than what they want you to believe you are. Should hire/fire temps after 90 days rather than string them along for 2 yrs. That division has a non union status. Should be union like the rest of Deere. No representation for the hourly employees make management think they are invincible. I simply quit cause it was a sore spot in my life. I'll take my chances elsewhere.
Pros
I got a paycheck
Cons
Non-union, management, too quick to threaten termination, hostile environment, 1st shift starts at 4am
Use you and throw you out on the street
Tractor Assembler (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 26, 2016
Working for this company was a joke. I made really good money which was the only good thing about working here. There is a 7 month probationary period where you are expected to not miss a single day or be late ever. I was never late or missed a single day for 6 months and 17 days and then they laid me off along with hundreds of other people.
I missed receiving benefits by two weeks which was the same as a bunch of other people because they hired a ton of us to come in and basically get them through the summer and then they throw us away like we don't matter.
There was nothing hard about the job and there was nothing that was enjoyable either. I would never work for this company again because they care about billions in profit rather than the hard workers who come in and help them, then get throw out.
Also the Union is a joke and helps worthless people keep their jobs rather than letting hard workers keep theirs.
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else
contract position-
Production Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Horicon, WIJuly 15, 2016
Was hired for a 3 year contract position Management was clear upfront that they took a low impact approach and it was evident
from the beginning. Difficult out of the gate getting the necessary tools/computer programs assigned and approved in a timely manner
to effectively train and adapt to the position in the timeframe management obviously expected. Co-workers tried to be helpful, however were somewhat out of touch with the concept of taking on a new person to the area that was unfamiliar with the terminology and mechanics of the job.
Always busy, also learned about diffierent equipment
Fork lift driver (Current Employee) –  Milan, ILJuly 6, 2015
I worked at john deer pdc on 2 separate occasions. Fast paced, lots of work and hours. I learned to operate 3 different vehicles. the Crown wich is a lift. a fork truck, which i used to move parts from shelves and take packages to the dock for delivery. The TD which is a small vehicle you stand on and pull a sled to hold parts.

Management was generous when it came to summer. They would bring bottled water and cooling wraps. They also took notice of days needed for either sickness or leave as long as given proper notice.

Like in all jobs, there are those that work hard and those that don't. Most were friendly and would help answer questions.

The most difficult part would be the continuously long hours. It wears on you after a while.

The best part about working for deer was the pay and job security.
Pros
incentive plans
Cons
physically exhausting and not much time for family.
My day
asslembler (Current Employee) –  Horicon, WIMay 25, 2016
I get to work at 4:45 and clock in and log in to my station. We start building at 5. I make sure my station is stocked and ready to go. Deere is the first factory I have ever worked and I and I really enjoy assembly. my supervisor is amazing and he actually cares about his team. I get a long with pretty much everyone but ever where you go there is at least one bad seed. The hardest part of my job is trying to keep my self busy if the line goes down you can only clean so much.
I love my job but I want to find a company that I can grow in. I have been at deere for five years and I am still not hired on. I have my future to worry about.
Pros
the peopel
Cons
hiring process
Good small town work for people with mechecinal skills
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Coleman, TXAugust 8, 2016
We used a ticketing system to track jobs and generally followed the first come first served rule with few exceptions use the ticket and general knowledge to fix the problem
this is where I learned basic mechanical skills also how to read hydraulic and electrical schematics with an online training program there were many opportunities to continue to grow and learn anything you could be required to accomplish while employed at john Deere
the management at the store was wonderful being in a small town the managers were very personal with all technicians
all technicians were very knowledgeable and willing to lend a hand at anytime needed
the hardest part of this job was some of the uncomfortable angles you have to work at while also in very tight spaces
the most enjoyable part was when you get to start a tractor that has been a long project and knowing you had help the costumer get back to work and making money for there families and feeling a sense of pride knowing you played a part in that
Pros
Over time, Monthly bounus, face time with customers, weekly checks
Cons
work in small places, understaffed, uncomfortable uniforms
too many hours. no home life
Line Assembler (Former Employee) –  Coffeyville, KSJuly 28, 2016
It started as a very good job you could do your work and get it done, but the last couple of years there was too much completion among the employees and no teamwork. The management encouraged this kind of actions. The supervisors would listen to a few and ignore the others. The upper management would not pay attention to what was happening in the shop so they didn't have to do anything about it.
Pros
good pay
Cons
too much negativity
One of the best places i have ever worked
Coreless furnace operator /30 ton crane operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 15, 2016
Ran coreless melt furnace and 30 ton overhead crane,
Fast pace work environment, and dangerous do to working with 2900° molten iron and what happens when molten iron and water come together, can be catastrophic and deadly,
Furnace relines and tare down rebuild, never a dull moment
Pros
Excellent benefits an exciting work environment
Cons
Lack of communication
John Deere
Quality Assurance Officer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IADecember 5, 2015
John Deere was a rollercoaster to say the least. I never knew what shift or department I would be on and management didn't talk to one another so everyone was on a different page. The pay and benefits were good, but working weekends and mandatory overtime were more common than they were supposed to be.
same thing every day
Worker/Action Arm operater (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 25, 2016
Only good thing is the benefits.. other than that, its the same job EVERY single day.You don't exist- your just a number. super boring, people get fat because there NO job that actually makes you work. most enjoyable part of the day- going home.
Pros
benefits, overtime
Cons
your just a number