John Deere Employee Reviews

Hostile environment, rule with fear, false ego
Core Reciever (Former Employee) –  Stafford, MOJune 4, 2016
It was ok for a paycheck, sociopathic manager, good job for the elderly or if you are kid but not if your looking to be anything other than a dispossable resource or have any sense of self worth.
"IT DOES WHAT IT'S TOLD!" Very inconsitent behavior from some people. I learned a lot of new things that will come in handy elsewhere and provide a better income. Plenty of good info and knowledge to take to another employer. The job made me more valuable than what they want you to believe you are. Should hire/fire temps after 90 days rather than string them along for 2 yrs. That division has a non union status. Should be union like the rest of Deere. No representation for the hourly employees make management think they are invincible. I simply quit cause it was a sore spot in my life. I'll take my chances elsewhere.
Pros
I got a paycheck
Cons
Non-union, management, too quick to threaten termination, hostile environment, 1st shift starts at 4am
Mainly hire temporary positions only.
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILDecember 6, 2016
John Deere is a great place to work for, although, you have about a 5% chance of being hired on through a Temp Agency. Great management and enjoyable work environment.
Nice office and busy work pace
International Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMarch 24, 2016
I had a fast pace environment which I enjoyed as my tasks kept me busy 8 hours or more a day. I had excellent training through a work colleague and appreciated her help when needed. The relationship with the management was very friendly and the lessons learned were tremendous. The hardest part of the job was dealing with co-workers and the best was being busy and seeing immediately the results of my good work and performance.
Pros
Good pay and busy schedule
Cons
No job security
Use you and throw you out on the street
Tractor Assembler (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 26, 2016
Working for this company was a joke. I made really good money which was the only good thing about working here. There is a 7 month probationary period where you are expected to not miss a single day or be late ever. I was never late or missed a single day for 6 months and 17 days and then they laid me off along with hundreds of other people.
I missed receiving benefits by two weeks which was the same as a bunch of other people because they hired a ton of us to come in and basically get them through the summer and then they throw us away like we don't matter.
There was nothing hard about the job and there was nothing that was enjoyable either. I would never work for this company again because they care about billions in profit rather than the hard workers who come in and help them, then get throw out.
Also the Union is a joke and helps worthless people keep their jobs rather than letting hard workers keep theirs.
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else
Fun and educational place with lots of potential for advancement
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Horicon, WINovember 17, 2016
Good place to work if you don't have hobbies or family life. Too many hours required. Would recommend for single people and those that are considered workaholics.
Benefits
Cons
Over worked
Great Transition Job
Assembler - Tractor Decks (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJune 3, 2016
Excellent people to work with, long hours due to company success. Fun for a while but a repetitious motion leading me to something more eccentric.
Pros
Union, competitive pay
Cons
Work most Saturdays and some Sundays (very few days off)
Good Place
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 13, 2017
Liked working there. Culture was productive along with people being helpful. I would recommend working there for anyone that has interested in the Ag sector
too many hours. no home life
Line Assembler (Former Employee) –  Coffeyville, KSJuly 28, 2016
It started as a very good job you could do your work and get it done, but the last couple of years there was too much completion among the employees and no teamwork. The management encouraged this kind of actions. The supervisors would listen to a few and ignore the others. The upper management would not pay attention to what was happening in the shop so they didn't have to do anything about it.
Pros
good pay
Cons
too much negativity
Great Company
Process Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Grovetown, GAJanuary 1, 2017
Dedicated to improving the employee experience. True focus on customer needs. Great opportunities for advancement, especially if you are willing to relocate.
10 years passed in a flash.
Solutions Owner (Current Employee) –  Milan, ILOctober 15, 2016
Learned daily, never limited.
Management provided growth.
Coworkers were family, and I saw the impact in the solutions we created.
Pros
Travel internationally
Cons
Moved several times
As an employee of John Deere I found the rate of pay to be the most satisfying and the safety concerns are commendable.
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Horicon, WIJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at John Deere was often stressful because of the often hard to sustain work pace. The company offers a bonus based on the rate of production but the standards are often difficult to meet for many people and the bonus is not worth the bodily wear and tear. I learned a great deal about utility vehicles, how they are made and what their uses are. I found management to be biased towards particular individuals, causing animosity amongst coworkers. Most of the coworkers were great and very enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job were the physical requirements and the most enjoyable part of the job was the financial benefits.
Pros
Financial benefits and overtime opportunities.
Cons
Short breaks, long shifts, and physical wear and tear.
A Career Building Company
Supply Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  IAApril 14, 2016
Well-managed, high performing company. A career can be developed well here with a variety of experiences. Salary levels are fair. Benefits like any large manufacturing company are not what they used to be. Locations of many of their facilities aren't the most exciting places to be.
Pros
Career development
Cons
Plant locations
High energy workplace!
International Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILMarch 21, 2016
John Deere is a fast-paced, high-energy workplace where you will learn a lot. At the heart, this is an engineering company with very good pay and benefits. There are many opportunities for growth and relocation. Management does a good job of pulling levers when it needs to, therefore, the company continues to flourish even after 175 years since it was founded.
John Deere
Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Grovetown, GA 30813September 20, 2016
Great place to work and great benefits. Any looking for a great company to work for. John deere is the place be. They have 2 shifts and the morning shift is awesome. Off every weekend and paid every week. I couldn't complain
Excellent place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAApril 23, 2016
Deere provides an excellent work environment and tools to do the job without hassle. Examples are multiple monitors so you have space to keep all the things you need open. Adjustable desk so you can work sitting or standing. Wireless headsets so you can move to any area of the work floor or use the actual devices you troubleshoot at a technology station while you have a someone on the line so you see exactly physically what they see.

The training is somewhat overwhelming, there are a lot of products you support over the phone and the learning curve is at least a year (full planting and harvest season) to even work with everything you support. The upside is all the employee's and management are constantly there to give a hand if you have questions.

My only complaint was I was hired on as a contractor with the possibility to hire, unfortunately a change in management shortly after I got hired changed the employment requirements and I no longer qualified for a permanent position. The new management appears from the outside to hire on a strict policy of no one without a B.A. even when new permanent employee would lack the experience and skills of senior coworkers who do not hold a degree.
Pros
Excellent work culture, helpful management, a true drive to help customers.
Cons
Hiring practices, Steep learning curve
Great Place to Work At
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 30, 2016
John Deere is a great place to work at with many opportunities if you would like to advance your career beyond the assembly line. There are plenty of opportunities to advance you education with the John Deere University.
Great Job
Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 29, 2016
Working at john deere was a great experience and helped my engineering career a lot. You can move up in this company and grow a lot as well.
good benifits lots of differnt plants and equipment
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAAugust 17, 2016
felt I was a seasonal employee. When there production was filled we are done . I built frontend equipment grain tanks for combines, cabs for combines, worked on the hydraulic system for the round bailers and also the windrower.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
getting laid off
Great place to work great atmosphere
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Thibodaux, LASeptember 29, 2016
John deere is a great place to work. Very safe! Only complaint I have is there temporary to core employee process. Quality is a big part of john deere.
Pros
Safe
Benefits
average company
Experimental Cotton Technician (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IADecember 31, 2015
great brand to work for! learned real life skills and a lot about myself.Many different personalities and backgrounds witch I found to help me learn and understand proper useful business ethics. I was required to travel for up to 5 weeks across the country following new products into real operational conditions. I Maintained, documented, and evaluated, performance in the field. When issues arise I was required to determine the cause and relay details to engineering support for fix and testing. These machines weigh up to 80,000 lbs and needed to be setup, operated, and maintained by 1 person and our evaluations were to make this requirement easier for the operator.
Pros
product and benefits
Cons
little to no advancement, high emplyee turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Deere. Our community is ready to answer.