John G. Shedd Aquarium

John G. Shedd Aquarium Employer Reviews

Definitely managed and operated as a non-profit!
Information Technology (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 9, 2014
Trying very hard to be a business, yet leadership and long term staff primarily have non-profit backgrounds. The benefits are fair and the salaries are much lower than industry averages. Many of the people are great; most love the aquarium, which keeps them working there.
Very fun and educational
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2013
Pros: meeting new people, different activities, the animals
Absolutely love it, learned a lot about the different animals that are there. You meet a lot of people from different states that come in and visit and they really enjoy themselves. The co-workers are amazing they all work together with no problems. Management is always around to help and to solve problems. The communication is a plus. There is no hard – more... part to this job. The most enjoyable part is when the doors first open early in the morning for admission. – less
They are a great organization.
Volunteer Water Quality Technician (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2013
Analyze water samples from different exhibits for pH, salinity, conductivity, and the presence of nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, and calcium. Extra duties include calibration of ozone probes throughout the aquarium.
Shedd Aquarium: Fun and Educational!
ASSISTANT ANIMAL CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 11, 2013
Pros: amazing people, amazing animals!
Cons: hard to acquire full-time or permanent employment
My experiences with Shedd Aquarium as a volunteer, employee and as a patron have always been exceptional. Not only are the animals amazing, but the people that work there are really great too. They care about the animals and take a lot of pride in their work. Was very happy to be an employee there. My only complaint is that I wish I could work there – more... on a more permanent basis and not as a temporary employee or volunteer. – less
Lots of great people to work with.
Staff Training Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2012
The internship was an amazing experience. I met many great people who helped guide me during my my internship in the Staff Training department. I am now a volunteer, working 1 day a week in the same department now creating mini online interactive training courses to enhance staff professional development.
Amazing work environment, amazing view
Planning & Design Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2012
the aquarium was a great place to learn and grow as a designer. everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. we got to work on cool projects, and sit in on meetings. interns are treated as a member of the team, which is rare in internships. overall, amazing ecperience.
Love, loved this job!
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 25, 2012
Learned so much about aquatic animals, loved it! Staff was awesome!
Loss of weekends
Master Interpreter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 28, 2012
Pros: free museums for you and your family.
Cons: working weekends, working holidays.
It is difficult to balance work family at the Shedd as you are expected to work weekends. As you rise in seniority you will be given partial weekends off [Sunday or Saturday]. When you have been there for 8 plus years you will be eligible for full weekends off. There is an upper limit to how much you can make in your job.

Oh you will also likely work – more... most major holidays. – less