John G. Shedd Aquarium Employee Reviews

i had a great time at this job because of the environment i was in.
Greeter/Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2015
i was in the food area. hot sweaty pizza hut . now its just pizza.this place gave me great experience for downtown. but it was difficult getting along with the other employers.
Pros
downtown chicago. right next to the lake
Cons
horrible employees
Informative internship requiring a lot of hours
Marine Mammal Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisSeptember 23, 2015
Great work environment and very supportive and accepting co-workers. Spent days prepping diets for the animals as well as setting up the marine mammal shows. Performed 24 hour calf observations on the dolphin calf while interning. Performed second person husbandry with the cetaceans as well as some guest behaviors.
Pros
Experience, animal interactions
Cons
Limited/no breaks, no pay for length of time
Very fun and educational
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2013
Absolutely love it, learned a lot about the different animals that are there. You meet a lot of people from different states that come in and visit and they really enjoy themselves. The co-workers are amazing they all work together with no problems. Management is always around to help and to solve problems. The communication is a plus. There is no hard part to this job. The most enjoyable part is when the doors first open early in the morning for admission.
Pros
meeting new people, different activities, the animals
Cool place to work
Customer service when cashing (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2014
-Typical day is fun active, sometimes its boring.
-How to control my anger.
-They sometimes never have our back when the customer is wrong.
-Co-workers cool people.
-Having to argue with the customer when their wrong.
-Getting Paid
Pros
flexible
Cons
no benefits, no bonsuses
Definitely managed and operated as a non-profit!
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2014
Trying very hard to be a business, yet leadership and long term staff primarily have non-profit backgrounds. The benefits are fair and the salaries are much lower than industry averages. Many of the people are great; most love the aquarium, which keeps them working there.
Very positive atmosphere
Young Naturalist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2015
I really enjoyed working here, it was a very good learning experience as well as professional. You learn a lot about so many different species as well good work ethics. Everyone there is very friendly and sociable. If you're a peoples person,someone who loves animals and cares for the enviorment I would highly advise you to apply.
Pros
learn alot serveral species
Cons
n/a
Shedd Aquarium: Fun and Educational!
ASSISTANT ANIMAL CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2013
My experiences with Shedd Aquarium as a volunteer, employee and as a patron have always been exceptional. Not only are the animals amazing, but the people that work there are really great too. They care about the animals and take a lot of pride in their work. Was very happy to be an employee there. My only complaint is that I wish I could work there on a more permanent basis and not as a temporary employee or volunteer.
Pros
Amazing people, amazing animals!
Cons
Hard to acquire full-time or permanent employment
Loss of weekends
Master Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2012
It is difficult to balance work family at the Shedd as you are expected to work weekends. As you rise in seniority you will be given partial weekends off [Sunday or Saturday]. When you have been there for 8 plus years you will be eligible for full weekends off. There is an upper limit to how much you can make in your job.

Oh you will also likely work most major holidays.
Pros
free museums for you and your family.
Cons
working weekends, working holidays.
John G. Shedd Aquarium
Assistant to President/C.E.O. (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2014
During my tenure at the Aquarium, I enjoyed working with my peers and the general public -- and learning and growing in both my administrative skills and my knowledge of the marine environment, ecology and conservation of the animals, oceans and bodies of water in our care.
Pros
Great work environment; committed, caring employees
Cons
Having to leave to relocate to the south, but it was best for my spouse and me at that time.
Fun and always moving
Water Quality Laboratory Assistant - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2015
I was simply a volunteer that does water analysis and collection. Getting to see the animals in their environment was definitely a plus.
Lots of great people to work with.
Staff Training Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2012
The internship was an amazing experience. I met many great people who helped guide me during my my internship in the Staff Training department. I am now a volunteer, working 1 day a week in the same department now creating mini online interactive training courses to enhance staff professional development.
Amazing work environment, amazing view
Planning & Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2012
the aquarium was a great place to learn and grow as a designer. everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. we got to work on cool projects, and sit in on meetings. interns are treated as a member of the team, which is rare in internships. overall, amazing ecperience.
They are a great organization.
Volunteer Water Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2013
Analyze water samples from different exhibits for pH, salinity, conductivity, and the presence of nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, and calcium. Extra duties include calibration of ozone probes throughout the aquarium.
Love, loved this job!
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2012
Learned so much about aquatic animals, loved it! Staff was awesome!

John G. Shedd Aquarium Reviews by Location