John Jay College of Criminal Justice Employee Reviews

Student services
Financial Aid Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2016
Very busy on a daily basis helping students and parents on how to apply for financial assistance. Assist former students that are in default on how to make their account current, or assist students how to remain current on student loans
Pros
energetic atmosphere
Cons
trying to receive payment on defaulted loans
fast paced/ exciting and educational
Student Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  524 West 59th. Street New York, NY, 10019August 4, 2016
On the job I interact with over 100 students a day who are in a rush daily. Helping students with Microsoft programs to finish papers for class. I learnt how to maneuver different computer software as well as entering students information into the lab system when loaning laptop computers, iPads, and cameras. I learned how to be passive, patient, and understanding when dealing with students that were under pressure due to college struggles. My co-worker were all friendly and helpful. I enjoy working with the many difference students from different backgrounds, The hardest part of the job was me leaving because it was something I've grown use to doing.
Pros
Experience
Cons
No Break
Interesting experience
Director of Special Events (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
John Jay College of Criminal Justice is a Senior College of the City University of New York (CUNY) system, located on Manhattan's far west side.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
not open to change
Academic Advisement
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
Work is rewarding and the department encourages students. The company moves to help and pushes students. There is much to learn and growth.
Diverse Working Place
Peer Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2016
A typical day at work involves working both independently and in large groups catering to possible incoming students, returning alumni, veterans, parents, and John Jay College Partners, faculty, and staff through tours, workshops, orientation sessions, and mentoring.
Productive and fun workplace
Researcher Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
Great place to work - fun and productive. There is opportunity for growth in this work place and a lot to learn from this institution.
The best place to be if you want to be in the Criminal Justice field.
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2016
John Jay is a great school to go to, especially because of all it's resources, including being in the middle of New York City. You always have the opportunity to meet new people and learn about different jobs. I work in the athletics department during my off season. I play softball for John Jay.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Fast-paced
Psychology Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2016
John Jay is a fast-pace environment, perfect for adults who are looking to work and go to school at the time same time. Very clean and welcoming environment.
Exciting workplace
Transfer Credit Evaluator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
Room for advancement, long hours when it's busy, in the summers you get Fridays off which is cool. You must be flexible with schedule changes.
Pros
Schedules are flexible
Great place for work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2016
Great place for work and study. The colleagues are friendly and helpful. Could have the opportunity to create your schedule.
Changing College Environment
Student Affairs Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
John Jay College in Manhattan is morphing into a senior college. Several major changes in the last ten years, including opening a brand new building featured in many commercials, TV shows, and movies, and building out existing student service structures, have moved the college forward in great leaps.
JJAY College Review
College Soccer Player (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2015
The work load is very manageable and the school provides great resources for student athletes. unfortunately the athletics department is a little overbearing and sometimes feels like they cause more stress through weekly/monthly academic evaluations that are supposed to be for students benefits.
Pros
Easy work load
Cons
Overbearing athletics program
Experience
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2015
I like working here but my time was brief because I got the position through school which is a requirement for the position.
good
Cons
short time
Laid back environment
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2015
I loved working for my college; it was fantastic to be the one students would come to for academic advice. I enjoyed editing and revising literature; the feeling of helping people fix their work and have it published was something I never received anywhere else. My co-workers were fellow students that loved the job as much as I did. We always had a good time, spoke of literature, helped each other to write papers, and all graduated with similar desires.
John Jay public safetly
Public safety officer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 5, 2015
it has been years since I've worked there , however at the time management was chaotic and turn over rates were high. but it is a great opportunity to earn money while in school
Productive environment with great possibilities of advancement
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2015
A typical day of work consists of managing telephone lines, coordinating meetings, responding to general student inquiries and providing basic academic counseling to students. Based on this experience, I have learned how to manage student complaints and provide the best customer service possible. Often, if the student is not clear enough about what they seek, it can create difficulty in successfully helping the student. However, being able to identify and appropriately resolve the student's issue is certainly enjoyable.
Learned how to work in a office environment.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2015
My typical day at work would consist of handling phones, using strong communication skills and knowledge on the department to properly direct or articulate requested information both customers and consumers. In addition, edited existing documents while, using organizational skills to accurately file and maintain personal records. Both management and co-workers were very helpful and were all team players. I did not find any obstacles at this job and enjoyed working for fun, motivated individuals.
Pros
learned how to work in a office environment
Cons
none.
Typical job
Lab Assistant - Academic Labs (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2014
Everything has red tape. Politics are always being played. Issues are seldom addressed poorly. The job is flexible, and it requires you to be independent.
educational and positive
Assistant coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2014
rewarding,educational, allowed me to grow on a educational level
Pros
education
Learned more than research
Research Assistant - Psychology Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2013
As a Research Assistant you get a lot of exposure. You wear different hats as a RA.

4.2