John Morrell Food Group

John Morrell Food Group Employer Reviews

No Good
Management (Former Employee), U.S.January 21, 2015
Cons: 70+ hr/wk, 0 work/life balance, bad company culture
I accepted a salaried management position at the company after receiving my Bachelor. I first thought it was a great opportunity until I traveled for the first time for them. I was told I would be working 10 hour days roughly 5 days a week which I was fine with. However, as I traveled to assist other branches, this quickly turned into 70+ hours a week of physical manual labor with little to no extra compensation. My days would start between 4-5 am and end around 6-7 pm. I'm not one to complain about working hard, but 12+ hours of physical labor leaves you physically and mentally drained. I began only sleeping 3-4 hours per night just to keep up with maintaining my house, family, and life outside of work. Instead of allowing us to hire more help at the branches, the company would have us increase the workload for our existing workers who were already reaching their DOT violation times. This resulted in some managers cutting corners and making salesmen illegally go over their DOT time. This all led to above average turnover rates compared to the other companies in our industry and an overall 20% turnover rate for our management ALONE. (Almost all route salesmen work at least 12 hours a day and are paid a low commission rate on their sales with NO overtime pay, resulting in an average of 20 hours a week they are not paid for. It is not surprising why so many leave. When they do leave, salaried management is sent in to take their place until a new salesperson can be hired). I was also told by their recruiter that all management receives a company car due to the 1,000 miles of driving each week for sales presentations, store audits, and route supervision. Soon after joining, it became apparent that the company picks and chooses who receives a car regardless of how much they may drive throughout the week. What seemed like a great opportunity quickly turned into a nightmare. I left and didn't look back.
Good Place to Work
Category Analyst (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 23, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: working til 5
JMFG is a relaxed environment and a good place to work...I enjoyed it.
The pay is good and the work life balance is good. I recommend working for this company.
Fun and exciting
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDOctober 1, 2014
The management team at John Morrell is very diversified and knowledgeable. They are equipped to handle any obstacle that stands in their way.
Payroll Specialist I
Payroll Specialist I (Former Employee), Lisle, ILSeptember 17, 2014
John Morrell was an excellent place to work.

Everyone on the payroll team was pleasant to work for and with. I would have stayed longer had I not moved to Texas.
good maintenance management and good co workers in maintenance department
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), Saint Charles, ILSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: pay, training by coworkers
Cons: always working no personal life, starting time is way to early.
good place to start a maintenance career but not to retire from. Working everyday of the week so no personal life balance.
If you dont have a life
slave (Former Employee), CAAugust 20, 2014
Cons: everything
Be prepared to work 70 hrs a week and get the same pay salary always works in their favor not yours. D O T regulations they don't care. never want to give you time off. Management worried about their bonus so they try to slave work you. No one will help you , they all care about them selves they will watch you or go home. Management will leave before everyone is back wont even call to see if your alive. Lunch and breaks you don't have time lucky to get a on the run bite.
I would not recommend working at this company
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee), Lisle, ILJune 26, 2014
Pros: free samples of food occasionally.
The reason I left this company is because of Management and advancement within the company.

It is a open environment with no privacy. You cannot use or have your cell phone at your desk. You have to go to a conference room to use your cell phone.

Micro- Managers, with strict work environment.

The company tells you that they like to promote internal employees, but that would be a lie. I applied for a position that I was qualified for and the position was given to someone outside the company who just graduated college with no experience. The person was a friend to someone at the company.

The work environment is horrible.
The Worst
Former employee (Former Employee), Lisle, ILApril 17, 2014
Pros: pay is ok.
If you like being micromanaged, mocked and treated like you are mentally handicapped then this is the place for you. Go for it.

There is nothing more awesome then dealing with coworkers with a screwed up sense of self importance. They will stab you in the back twice tell you that you are bleeding and to get yourself a bandage.
stinks, 65 hours, 6 days week
forklift driver (Former Employee), premium pet healthApril 14, 2014
Cons: horrible, horrible place to work
John Morrell is a horrible place to work. It stinks of dead animals not fit for humans. Old broken equipment. No time off. 6 days a week long hours. Nobody cares about time off.

April 21, 2014

Don't be fooled. This is a horrible to work. I worked there 2 years and still can't get the bad smell out of my car. I worked day shift and everything is in chaos and treat you bad.. Never a Human resource guy and plant manager is the worst. He will lie to your face that they will do stuff to improve it. Management only cares about there bonuses won't spend money unless somebody gets badly hurt. You won't have any life outside of work,work work. Better places than this horrible place.

Dynamic place to work.
KEY ACCOUNT /NATIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee), Lisle, ILJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: largest producer of pork products nationally.
Cons: management team was constantly changing directions.
During my 17 year career with this company I worked through seven company changes, including sale of the company, mergers or acquisitions. I traveled 60 %.
Free Bacon in the morning, and Good Bacon & Coned Beef at low price.
ASSOCIATE COST ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee), San Jose, CAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: free bacon & low price of high quality of bacon and coned beef
Cons: over workload
Every one is working very hard. Over time and weekend works are just normal here.
Great place to work. Has a family culture with a big business goal.
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee), Springfield, MAOctober 22, 2013
Management staff is great to work with. They really take time to help new comers to the field excel.
Stressful and Unhealthy Work Environment
Category Manager (Former Employee), Cincinnati OhioJune 4, 2013
If you are a woman do yourself a favor and look elsewhere!!!

As the saying goes "It's a man's world"

If you like being berated in front of your peers ladies go for it.
Great place to work!
Management (Current Employee), Lisle, ILApril 19, 2013
Pros: promote from within, fair pay, mostly wonderful people to work with
Cons: health insurance is mediocre... not terrible, but not the best
I suppose it's normal to have good and bad reviews at any company because of course every company has good and bad employees! I am so grateful to be employed with a profitable company and working for/with some really great people. I like to work hard and enjoy doing a good job. It's so frustrating when people complain about a good company just because they can't shop on the Internet all day, socialize, and take long breaks. This is a corporate environment and there will always be corporate politics but overall I enjoy working here! If you like being recognized for hard work, moving up in the company, and aren't looking for a free hand out - you will appreciate this company. I've been well taken care of and appreciate the loyalty from Senior Management.
former employee
parts clerk (Former Employee), Peru INApril 14, 2013
Pros: benefits, company dinners twice a yr., pay isn't bad
Cons: management
the company is micro managed from every angle. if you have any degree of knowledge if its not their way forget it. a typical day can be routine. my boss was crude in language and would talk all the time. very opininated person who talked about others behind their backs. i actually think this could be a great place to work if you can make it in the social circles. my boss did not have a degree she was good at making the social agenda. Her husband was also a supervisor. her boss was a joke. he was smart at his job except the paperwork which if he didn't do well she would have to cover for him. she also taught me to cover my own actions and always beware. many times they would be afraid of making mistakes. you did not want the plant manager of the company to discover these as he would yell at you and make you feel unworthy of any position. Human resources also had issues. i noticed many times they would make mistakes such as dates on paperwork. i think alot of the problem is many employees are mexicans and the white group feel inferior. another problem is most of the management has been there for many years and this company needs fresh faces.
Look Elsewhere-Stressful and Unhealthy Work Environment
Cash Appications Coordinator (Former Employee), Lisle, IllinoisMarch 10, 2013
Pros: decent pay
Cons: bad/unhealthy work environment, micromanaged from the moment you walk in.
I am a former employee, pay was good but work environment not something you want to deal with. First of all cubicles are in a cross shaped form and about 4 feet which means you have a view of the entire office and everyone can also see you. Worst part about it is that supervisor or manager is sitting right across from you so even when you take a drink of water she is watching you and when you get up to ask a question related to work she also stops working so she can also hear what you are asking and the response you are getting.......

When you first start working people approach you and give you the impression they are friendly and want to get to know you but be careful because they are trying to get information to go and tell your boss so by the time you get back from lunch your boss already knows what you said good or bad and you start getting dirty looks. My advise if you get hired keep to yourself and don't trust anyone. Keep looking just in case you find out what I wrote in this review is true.

Only one person in the department is approachable and friendly, she is the only reason I made it for an entire month, if it wasn't for this particular nice girl I probably would have resigned my first week.
Good luck!
A wonderful experience
Administrative Assistant/Benefit Clerk (Former Employee), cincinnati, ohioNovember 1, 2012
Pros: company raffles, tickets, and food.
I learned what I know today through JMFG. I enjoyed everything the company had to offer and the people that I worked with. An overall great experience.
Great place with job security
Business Analyst (Current Employee), lisle,ilJune 19, 2012
This place believes in a great work/life balance and advancement.

March 16, 2013

This is missleading, to any new person looking for advancement. Nobody in the office is even allowed to communicate. The first thing the department give you is the policies which says no talking, no cell phones allowed by your desk and a lot more discouraging policies that it applies more to a factory environment that an office environment.

Great place to work! This company takes care of their employee's!
Benefits Clerk (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OhioDecember 1, 2011
I have worked at JMFG for going on 5 years now. I'm only 25 and have grown so much since being here. I have gained tons of experience and have made many friendships. If I knew my position wasn't going to be "phased" out, I would retire from the company.

August 30, 2012

If you are a woman run away from this as fast as you can!!! It is the worst place I have ever worked.