John Morrell Food Group Employee Reviews

Lieing, horrible company needs a union asap
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, INAugust 4, 2016
Pay is okay, benefits okay. Management is TERRIBLE. Theyou changed everything in the handbook without telling you. You will get pointed even if you request a day off. They tell you that you have to work 12 hr shift less than a hour LEFT into your shift. The leads will even tell you, throw your handbook away they change things and do what they want. When first hired they told us 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week, no weekends because they had a weekend shift. 2 months later they switched it to two 12 hr shifts and forced you to either pick 1st or 3rd shift. Favoritism is horrible. You will get wrote up over anything and are only allowed 2 write ups for the WHOLE YEAR. This company lies lies lies lies. They sold out to centurion and now lease the building that they built.... now that's not job security. This place needs a union so bad!!!! They do whatever they want, rules and guidelines do not matter at all!!!!! The system goes down almost daily and the workers are blamed for it!!! Do not come!!! Everyone is looking for a different job. Worst place ever I have worked!!!
Stay away!!!
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 12, 2016
Stay away from this company. They will make u work 14 to 15 hours a day with no regards to DOT rules. You will be on your own with no help. Managers never answer their phones and there's also a lot if favoritism.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
You won't have a life!!!
ishida operator
ishida operator (Current Employee) –  Peru, INJune 16, 2015
I start off by getting my paperwork ready for the day.Then i go out on the floor and get my machines set for the day.I have learned team work skills.I enjoy working with my co-workers.We are like a big family.The hardest part is keeping my weights within the limits.The most enjoyable is i love what i do and the people i work with.
Stay away
Route Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 5, 2015
This Company will work you 14hr days and expect you to drive longer then DOT regulations, they give little to no training and support. Upper management sits at their home office literally drinking a liquid lunch all while berating you with calls texts and emails all while you attempt to do your job. California by far has the worst Management whom never even tours the market, visits stores etc. Bad leadership, lack of support, retaliation and low pay is all what you have to look forward to if you apply.

The hardest part of the job- Poor Management
Most enjoyable part- Quitting
Pros
work is always there-you will be expected to work 24/7
decent pay decent benefits
general labor (Current Employee) –  indianaMarch 24, 2015
Pretty much any general production job is easy. Dealing with the bull that goes on is another story. Different rules for different people. Favoritism is terrible. Their turnover rate is bad but when you are completely dispensable its easy to know why. It seems like the people who are lazy and stay high in attendance points are rewarded while if you prove to be a hard worker they use you and push you to your breaking point.
Pros
decent pay decent benefits
Cons
high turnover rates, unequal treatment
Brand New Greenfield, IN Distribution Center - Great Opportunity!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lisle, IllinoisFebruary 23, 2015
It is hard to really review since this will be a brand new building with a great opportunity to establish all of the rating areas, Culture, Advancement, etc. I have met a manager hired to manage at the new building and he seems to be very fair and consistant with a lot of experience. He has a history of performance while haveing fun and celebrating wins as a team! Work is work, nothing you can do about that, but he seems to care and appreciate people that work hard.
Pros
Opportunity to shape the culture
Cons
Start up facility normally takes a large commitment by all
No Good
Management (Former Employee) –  U.S.January 21, 2015
I accepted a salaried management position at the company after receiving my Bachelor. I first thought it was a great opportunity until I traveled for the first time for them. I was told I would be working 10 hour days roughly 5 days a week which I was fine with. However, as I traveled to assist other branches, this quickly turned into 70+ hours a week of physical manual labor with little to no extra compensation. My days would start between 4-5 am and end around 6-7 pm. I'm not one to complain about working hard, but 12+ hours of physical labor leaves you physically and mentally drained. I began only sleeping 3-4 hours per night just to keep up with maintaining my house, family, and life outside of work. Instead of allowing us to hire more help at the branches, the company would have us increase the workload for our existing workers who were already reaching their DOT violation times. This resulted in some managers cutting corners and making salesmen illegally go over their DOT time. This all led to above average turnover rates compared to the other companies in our industry and an overall 20% turnover rate for our management ALONE. (Almost all route salesmen work at least 12 hours a day and are paid a low commission rate on their sales with NO overtime pay, resulting in an average of 20 hours a week they are not paid for. It is not surprising why so many leave. When they do leave, salaried management is sent in to take their place until a new salesperson can be hired). I was also told by their recruiter that all management receives a company car due to the 1,000 miles  more... of driving each week for sales presentations, store audits, and route supervision. Soon after joining, it became apparent that the company picks and chooses who receives a car regardless of how much they may drive throughout the week. What seemed like a great opportunity quickly turned into a nightmare. I left and didn't look back.  less
Pros
Cons
70+ hr/wk, 0 Work/Life Balance, Bad Company Culture
Good Place to Work
Category Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 23, 2014
JMFG is a relaxed environment and a good place to work...I enjoyed it.
The pay is good and the work life balance is good. I recommend working for this company.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Working til 5
Fun and exciting
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 1, 2014
The management team at John Morrell is very diversified and knowledgeable. They are equipped to handle any obstacle that stands in their way.
Payroll Specialist I
Payroll Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILSeptember 17, 2014
John Morrell was an excellent place to work.

Everyone on the payroll team was pleasant to work for and with. I would have stayed longer had I not moved to Texas.
good maintenance management and good co workers in maintenance department
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILSeptember 5, 2014
good place to start a maintenance career but not to retire from. Working everyday of the week so no personal life balance.
Pros
pay, training by coworkers
Cons
always working no personal life, starting time is way to early.
If you dont have a life
slave (Former Employee) –  CAAugust 20, 2014
Be prepared to work 70 hrs a week and get the same pay salary always works in their favor not yours. D O T regulations they don't care. never want to give you time off. Management worried about their bonus so they try to slave work you. No one will help you , they all care about them selves they will watch you or go home. Management will leave before everyone is back wont even call to see if your alive. Lunch and breaks you don't have time lucky to get a on the run bite.
Pros
Cons
everything
I would not recommend working at this company
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJune 26, 2014
The reason I left this company is because of Management and advancement within the company.

It is a open environment with no privacy. You cannot use or have your cell phone at your desk. You have to go to a conference room to use your cell phone.

Micro- Managers, with strict work environment.

The company tells you that they like to promote internal employees, but that would be a lie. I applied for a position that I was qualified for and the position was given to someone outside the company who just graduated college with no experience. The person was a friend to someone at the company.

The work environment is horrible.
Pros
Free samples of food occasionally.
The Worst
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILApril 17, 2014
If you like being micromanaged, mocked and treated like you are mentally handicapped then this is the place for you. Go for it.

There is nothing more awesome then dealing with coworkers with a screwed up sense of self importance. They will stab you in the back twice tell you that you are bleeding and to get yourself a bandage.
Pros
Pay is ok.
stinks, 65 hours, 6 days week
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  premium pet healthApril 14, 2014
John Morrell is a horrible place to work. It stinks of dead animals not fit for humans. Old broken equipment. No time off. 6 days a week long hours. Nobody cares about time off.
Pros
Cons
horrible, horrible place to work

Comment – April 21, 2014

Don't be fooled. This is a horrible to work. I worked there 2 years and still can't get the bad smell out of my car. I worked day shift and everything is in chaos and treat you bad.. Never a Human resource guy and plant manager is the worst. He will lie to your face that they will do stuff to improve it. Management only cares about there bonuses won't spend money unless somebody gets badly hurt. You won't have any life outside of work,work work. Better places than this horrible place.

Dynamic place to work.
KEY ACCOUNT /NATIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJanuary 27, 2014
During my 17 year career with this company I worked through seven company changes, including sale of the company, mergers or acquisitions. I traveled 60 %.
Pros
Largest Producer of Pork products nationally.
Cons
Management team was constantly changing directions.
Free Bacon in the morning, and Good Bacon & Coned Beef at low price.
ASSOCIATE COST ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 22, 2013
Every one is working very hard. Over time and weekend works are just normal here.
Pros
Free bacon & low price of high quality of bacon and coned beef
Cons
Over workload
Great place to work. Has a family culture with a big business goal.
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 22, 2013
Management staff is great to work with. They really take time to help new comers to the field excel.
Stressful and Unhealthy Work Environment
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioJune 4, 2013
If you are a woman do yourself a favor and look elsewhere!!!

As the saying goes "It's a man's world"

If you like being berated in front of your peers ladies go for it.
Great place to work!
Management (Current Employee) –  Lisle, ILApril 19, 2013
I suppose it's normal to have good and bad reviews at any company because of course every company has good and bad employees! I am so grateful to be employed with a profitable company and working for/with some really great people. I like to work hard and enjoy doing a good job. It's so frustrating when people complain about a good company just because they can't shop on the Internet all day, socialize, and take long breaks. This is a corporate environment and there will always be corporate politics but overall I enjoy working here! If you like being recognized for hard work, moving up in the company, and aren't looking for a free hand out - you will appreciate this company. I've been well taken care of and appreciate the loyalty from Senior Management.
Pros
promote from within, fair pay, mostly wonderful people to work with
Cons
health insurance is mediocre... not terrible, but not the best

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Morrell Food Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5