John T. Mather Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Private hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYAugust 11, 2017
Generally staff is happy here- pay is fair for RNs. Advancement is minimal as it is such a small hospital and does not use seniority based role advancement. Management is very cut-throat and competitive
Stressful and verbally abusive
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYAugust 9, 2017
Mather used to be the best place to work. Unfortunately now, management has no consequences. They can do/say as they please but face no consequences due to their friendship with the director of nursing.
its a fair environment
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2017
Taking care of the public is never an easy job. I will say many days are very rewarding.If our simple acts of kindness are appreciated it makes it all worthwhile .
productive
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMay 6, 2017
Great, small hospital. Staff feels like family. They are very being on making employees feel appreciated. Would love to work here in the new career field.
Pros
great
Productive and Functional Work Place
Revenue Cycle No Fault/ Workers Comp Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 15, 2017
Every morning, I arrive at work with a goal. This is goal is a set of scheduled task that I want to accomplish before the day is through. Throughout the course of my day, I assist employees with system errors, contract questions, as well as questions regarding policies and procedures. I believe highly in communication and creating an environment where all employees can feel safe and appreciated. The most enjoyable part of my job is my ability to help other and assist in solving problems.
Food Service Aide
Food Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 31, 2016
A typical day would include preparing patient food, participating in the tray preparation line, followed by delivering the trays to the patients and ending the shift cleaning and participating in the dishroom. I've learned great customer service skills and how to talk to patients in a sincere and helpful manner. The hardest part of the job is talking to patients about their complicated diet restrictions.
Honored to be a part of excellent inpatient and outpatient care.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 31, 2016
Supported by peers and management to provide high level of nursing care to all patients. Team work was practiced on my floor and it was effective and rewarding achieving successful outcomes.
Pros
Supported and compensated well.
Cons
The culture in this hospital allows for too much catering to doctors.
Team work
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYSeptember 18, 2016
John T. Mather Memorial Hospital Wound Treatment Center is a great place to work. We are always learning new skills and programs to better the flow of the organization. My co-works we work well and communicate well. Communication is very important it help eliminate frustration.
My director is very supportive. I recently graduated and she guides me with my resume and want me to strive for the better.
Pros
We care about our patients
Cons
N/a
just a job
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJune 6, 2016
just a job and need to get a better one all the nurses have attitudes and they make your day at work miserable. The pay is good though for someone who just needs a job in the mean time
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible people
Collaborating with surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses and other health porfessionals in fast paced environment
Unit Secretary for the Operating Room (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYMay 22, 2016
Duties include but are not limited to; documenting and organizing medical records,assisting nurses and surgeons in retrieving tools for specific cases, transporting patients, calling the pharmacy for necessary medications and scheduling cases.
I have learned that collaboration and communication among professionals is essential in providing high quality patient care, and keeping a healthy work environment.
Management includes keeping and logging patients' medical records, documenting inventory of supplies, and basically serving as the assistant for the entire operating unit.
The most difficult aspect of this job is working in an extremely fast paced environment and prioritizing duties as they appear.
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing excellent patient care by ultimately proving them with exceptional medical services and a comfortable environment before and after the scheduled surgery.
Poorly Managed, lack of disipline and consistantcy
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  75 North Country Road port jefferson, ny 11777April 28, 2016
a typical day at work would depend on what "zone" I was appointed for that day. usually the work would not take me the whole 8 hours to complete. When this occurred I was asked to do other people's work because they not finish their assigned jobs on their own. I would tie this into the hardest part of the job, because I was not only doing my job, but I was having to do other people's assigned work on a daily basis. Management slacked a little in my opinion, because instead of finding out why those people couldn't finish their assigned jobs, they just asked the employees that finished their work in a timely manner to pick up the slack. Some workers were incredibly hard workers and cared very much so about their jobs. When we had a crew like that, the pharmacy would operate like a well oiled machine. The most enjoyable part of my job would be learning something new everyday about different medications, and how they have dual treatments.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
working with some not so motivated people
Welcoming
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYApril 17, 2016
I love working with patients and assisting those in need. Working at John T. Mather Memorial Hospital was a pleasure. My co workers were welcoming from my very first day. Together, we worked as a team and accomplished the daily tasks. Whether we were checking patients in, assisting patients with transportation, registrations, setting up charts, monitoring the door/breaks of patients, or billing we always completed our tasks efficiently and professionally.
Great work place
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYApril 2, 2016
Well managed, good people, local hospital. I love my co-workers and enjoy working here. Management takes care of the employees.
Multitasking and challenging with a great team of diverse people
Director, Contract Integration (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 3, 2016
High energy work day with a good variety of topics and projects. Being part of the Soarian Financials implementation taught me team work, time management, stress management, and high level techical skills. Management is always engaging and works with the team on a daily basis. There is excellent communication at all levels of the departments. The hardest part of my job has to do with the ever changing lanscape of healthcare and managing all of the moving parts. The most enjoyable part is working with a great team and making daily accomplishments.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Worries in the healthcare industry
Fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 21, 2016
good place to work. Have friendly environment.
Free foods. Can get recommendation letters from Mather Hospital for your future careers.
Great place to work with amazing teamwork
Recreational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 16, 2015
Everyone smiles at each other in the halls,
everyone greets each other
coworkers are inspiring and helpful
there is a big sense of teamwork from every department
learning hospital with opportunities for advancement and schooling
Amazing hospital!!!!!
Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 23, 2015
There is a very caring staff with attentive and assistive nurses and doctors. It is a welcoming and friendly environment.
Intimate
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  med surgSeptember 30, 2015
Working at a small community Hospital has many pros and cons. You really get to know everyone in all the departments. When you have a good management team you will be thriving, however when there is a negative leader it can really bring down the moral.
Pros
intimate work environment
Cons
no room for growth
lots of work not for the lazy
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYSeptember 20, 2015
The job is great if you enjoy being out of the office working on your own time schedule. the supervisor is good usually helpful. Co-workers are alright, not extremely welcoming as you would expect them to be. I've learned not every work place is the same but i enjoy what i do and i make any negative positive in this work environment.
benefits
Cons
short breaks, poor management, no room for growth
An opportunity with diverse responsibilities.
Patient Access & Lead ER Registrar (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYSeptember 7, 2015
I tremendously enjoyed my time as an ER Registrar and as an Ambulatory Surgery Registrar. The people you meet as patients are interesting and varied, and in both positions I had an opportunity to offer real comfort to people.
Pros
Being part of patient care from the moment they walked in the door was most gratifiying.
Cons
As with any large institution, seniority had its good and bad points. Being open 24/7 also had it's own good and bad points.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John T. Mather Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

John T. Mather Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location