John T. Mather Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

just a job
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJune 6, 2016
just a job and need to get a better one all the nurses have attitudes and they make your day at work miserable. The pay is good though for someone who just needs a job in the mean time
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible people
Collaborating with surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses and other health porfessionals in fast paced environment
Unit Secretary for the Operating Room (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYMay 22, 2016
Duties include but are not limited to; documenting and organizing medical records,assisting nurses and surgeons in retrieving tools for specific cases, transporting patients, calling the pharmacy for necessary medications and scheduling cases.
I have learned that collaboration and communication among professionals is essential in providing high quality patient care, and keeping a healthy work environment.
Management includes keeping and logging patients' medical records, documenting inventory of supplies, and basically serving as the assistant for the entire operating unit.
The most difficult aspect of this job is working in an extremely fast paced environment and prioritizing duties as they appear.
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing excellent patient care by ultimately proving them with exceptional medical services and a comfortable environment before and after the scheduled surgery.
Poorly Managed, lack of disipline and consistantcy
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  75 North Country Road port jefferson, ny 11777April 28, 2016
a typical day at work would depend on what "zone" I was appointed for that day. usually the work would not take me the whole 8 hours to complete. When this occurred I was asked to do other people's work because they not finish their assigned jobs on their own. I would tie this into the hardest part of the job, because I was not only doing my job, but I was having to do other people's assigned work on a daily basis. Management slacked a little in my opinion, because instead of finding out why those people couldn't finish their assigned jobs, they just asked the employees that finished their work in a timely manner to pick up the slack. Some workers were incredibly hard workers and cared very much so about their jobs. When we had a crew like that, the pharmacy would operate like a well oiled machine. The most enjoyable part of my job would be learning something new everyday about different medications, and how they have dual treatments.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
working with some not so motivated people
Welcoming
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYApril 17, 2016
I love working with patients and assisting those in need. Working at John T. Mather Memorial Hospital was a pleasure. My co workers were welcoming from my very first day. Together, we worked as a team and accomplished the daily tasks. Whether we were checking patients in, assisting patients with transportation, registrations, setting up charts, monitoring the door/breaks of patients, or billing we always completed our tasks efficiently and professionally.
Great work place
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYApril 2, 2016
Well managed, good people, local hospital. I love my co-workers and enjoy working here. Management takes care of the employees.
Multitasking and challenging with a great team of diverse people
Director, Contract Integration (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 3, 2016
High energy work day with a good variety of topics and projects. Being part of the Soarian Financials implementation taught me team work, time management, stress management, and high level techical skills. Management is always engaging and works with the team on a daily basis. There is excellent communication at all levels of the departments. The hardest part of my job has to do with the ever changing lanscape of healthcare and managing all of the moving parts. The most enjoyable part is working with a great team and making daily accomplishments.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Worries in the healthcare industry
Fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 21, 2016
good place to work. Have friendly environment.
Free foods. Can get recommendation letters from Mather Hospital for your future careers.
Great place to work with amazing teamwork
Recreational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 16, 2015
Everyone smiles at each other in the halls,
everyone greets each other
coworkers are inspiring and helpful
there is a big sense of teamwork from every department
learning hospital with opportunities for advancement and schooling
Amazing hospital!!!!!
Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 23, 2015
There is a very caring staff with attentive and assistive nurses and doctors. It is a welcoming and friendly environment.
Intimate
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  med surgSeptember 30, 2015
Working at a small community Hospital has many pros and cons. You really get to know everyone in all the departments. When you have a good management team you will be thriving, however when there is a negative leader it can really bring down the moral.
Pros
intimate work environment
Cons
no room for growth
lots of work not for the lazy
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYSeptember 20, 2015
The job is great if you enjoy being out of the office working on your own time schedule. the supervisor is good usually helpful. Co-workers are alright, not extremely welcoming as you would expect them to be. I've learned not every work place is the same but i enjoy what i do and i make any negative positive in this work environment.
benefits
Cons
short breaks, poor management, no room for growth
An opportunity with diverse responsibilities.
Patient Access & Lead ER Registrar (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYSeptember 7, 2015
I tremendously enjoyed my time as an ER Registrar and as an Ambulatory Surgery Registrar. The people you meet as patients are interesting and varied, and in both positions I had an opportunity to offer real comfort to people.
Pros
Being part of patient care from the moment they walked in the door was most gratifiying.
Cons
As with any large institution, seniority had its good and bad points. Being open 24/7 also had it's own good and bad points.
job was fine
Radiology Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYAugust 10, 2015
I liked working at mather but the hours were sporadic I started out in admitting then went to emergency room and finally radiology.
Job Security
Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJuly 9, 2015
Job security is strong, in today's work place. Very busy and fast paced environment. Great team /coworkers. Most difficult part of job is the stress of working on too many things at one time. Shortage of staff.
Pros
Great team work, job security
Cons
Management does not support staff
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJuly 6, 2015
Phlebotomy- drew blood on floors, outpatient, and ER. worked per diem various shifts early morning, mid day, evening, and overnight
Good place to work, community oriented healthcare facility
Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJune 28, 2015
Mather Hospital is a great place to work, but very busy. Oftentimes full bed census with patients in ER waiting some time before room frees up for admittal.

Lab is staffed with just enough people ... when someone suddenly cannot fulfill their shift requirements the minimal staffing transforms a common place occurrence into a minicrisis.

Management is good, very compassionate, fair.

Coworkers are good, hardest part of job, trying to get anything done without the constant interruptions inherent in a management position.

The management of the lab and the techs in the lab are seasoned pros with decades of experience.
Pros
cheap and pretty good cafeteria food
Cons
the coffee
working at mather has been great i work with and am surrounded by great people staff and patients.
Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJune 16, 2014
Working at Mather Hospital has been great, i get to experience the healthcare settings even though i am currently working in the environmental services department, it gives me a good idea for what to look forward to and cannot wait to be working as a medical assistant.I like going to work at Mathers because i am constantly surrounded by great staff who are so kind, and i also get to socialize with patients and help them in any way that i can.
busy workplace, friendly staff
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 31, 2014
friendly and caring staff, who go above and beyond. fast paced and busy work environment, which makes the work day fly by.
place where u meet different people and learn something new everyday
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 20, 2014
I was at the hospital by 6 am taking care of the patients by monitoring their vital signs like temperature, heartbeat and B/P Additionally, i was helping my co-workers to care for their patients at the same time observing the patient's development throughout the day. the hardest part of the job was to lift and care for obese patients and deal with some family members. the best part was when u make a patient feel good for that day.
Pros
learn how to deal with people in a more affective way
Cons
hospital did not empower their workers.
Going Downhill Fast
Per Diem (Current Employee) –  NYJanuary 11, 2014
This hospital admits they are in debt and are trying to save money. They are trying to get rid of employees that specialize in certain skills. As a result the quality of care is suffering and employee morale is low.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
poor management

4.2