John Tyler Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Disappointed
Administrative Assistant (Work-Study) (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VADecember 2, 2015
I don't understand how you hire a student under a work-study contract but aren't able to work around a student's school schedule. I was laid off unfairly with minimal explanation behind it. I also read after decision to terminate an employee the supervisor is required to report the employee to the work-study supervisor in order to place the work study in another division but that didn't happen.
Pros
No weekends
Overall
Office Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 5, 2015
Great place to work overall. The work environment is a good one. The benefits are ok, but not fond of state pay. If they increased their pay guidelines I would consider working for the state again.
Pros
job stability
Cons
pay
productive and fun while on the job
work study (Former Employee) –  chester , vaJuly 8, 2015
awesome team to work with and love the environment,. not as many great teachers but awesome adminstrative and deans that actually care
Family environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJune 5, 2015
Busy days with opportunities to learn. Learned a lot about the education system at the community college level. Management was excellent. Co-workers were enjoyable. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping students.
summary
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAMay 27, 2015
Always a good day and everyone is nice, and a few rude customers. The managers are very nice and helpful. The enjoyable part of the day is making the customers happy and conversations we have at work.
Good community college offering many part time positions
Adjunct Professor of English(Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAMarch 10, 2015
The overall review of professors is not always accurate and fair. The review process is often conducted with little information about the quality of the instruction.
Pros
excellent dean of the humanities dept.
Cons
evaluations are not always fair due to lack of information
Nice People, No Advancement
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAMarch 5, 2015
As an Adjunct Assistant Professor, I am underpaid, overworked, have no benefits, and can be fired without cause. When my supervisor, who is terrific, put in for a promotion for me, it was denied, even though I had fulfilled the requirements for it and had excellent teaching evaluations. I applied for a full-time teaching position and was not even granted an interview; the person they hired had less experience and fewer academic credentials. I love my students, and that's what keeps me coming back.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no benefits, no advancement
Very good place to work
Security officer (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Good place to work very professional and people are very friendily
I am student
Student (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAAugust 28, 2014
I work at helping fix student's computers. I don't get paid anything but donations.
Pros
i love computers.
Cons
i don't get paid.
national award construction program
Manager of the Hispanic (Former Employee) –  Chester, VAJune 2, 2014
First bilingual credited program in USA. This program won national educational award. Founder and designer of this innitiative.
Pros
exemplary program
Cons
only 3 years pilot.
enjoy working with computers
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, VAMay 2, 2014
I enjoy working with computers in the college lab. I Got to show how to other people on how to use their computers.
Pros
none at this time
Cons
none at this time.
John Tyler Community College
Work Study for Department of Student Activities (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAFebruary 22, 2014
The only hardest part of this job is, standing up in front of a lot of people and giving a speech. Throughout working for the company I was able to give a speech without being nervous.
Pros
being able to work at school.
Cons
n/a
If you can, work here.
Graduation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAAugust 11, 2013
This is the best professional environment you can ask for.

The culture in the office I was a part of in terms of the administration was nothing but awesome. No one can replace the level of care these folks had for my family and I.

My boss repeatedly asked how my family was. On days that they were sick, the first question was genuinely "Do you need to go home? Are you sure? We can manage."

They asked me not to check my emails on the weekends. Everything could wait until Monday (at least in my position).

I interviewed for a promotion and the first thing the boss said if there was ever a time where I felt like the demands of the job were getting stressful, to let them know so they could investigate the possibility of adjusting the workload and even hiring new folks.

In the economy we have where people think you should feel lucky to have a job, these folks don't see it that way. They are thankful you showed up to work and decided to give a part of your life to their organization.

The only reason I don't work there now is because I moved to a different state.
Pros
great training, great leadership, caring environment, opportunities to move up, & sometimes a lot of free food.
Cons
hardly any.
Jtcc
RN (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAOctober 30, 2012
Lecture and clinical instruction typical of other colleges with office hours & student advisement. I learned about the culture of the community college. I found management to be focused on issues that did not support my position or the program I taught in. My co-workers were great to work with, team oriented. I really enjoyed working with the students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Tyler Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4