Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center

Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Employer Reviews

Great teamwork and family culture
RN Clinical Nurse PCU unit (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 30, 2014
I love the unit and the people I work with. We support and work with each other real well. The unit is a step down and telemetry unit and our typical patients are cardiac and respiratory (vents, tracheostomies, COPDers etc.) patients, sometimes some medicine patients. The patient care ratio is 4:1, and as nurses we work with 1-3 PCTs to whom we have – more... to delegate various tasks.
A typical night at work is that we get report at start of shift, briefly check on our assigned patients, check physician's orders, do patient care and teaching, documentation, do admission if new patient is admitted, attend codes if needed, communicating with care team (physicians, RT, labs etc.)
I have learnt so much and the hospital generally provides many learning opportunities. The hardest part of my job is working nights and the most enjoyable part is providing for patients from all walks of life, cultures, persuasions, socioeconomic backgrounds learning from them through their personal lives and experiences but most of all, I feel very fulfilled as a nurse when I have patients leave the hospital feeling better than they came, and they have learnt how to better take care of themselves, giving them a new lease on life. – less
Awesome community
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 22, 2014
Pros: awesome sense of community
Bayview is a large hospital with a small town feel. Employees across the board were a tightly knit group, and Pastoral Care Department was exceptionally so. There was great flexibility for scheduling and you felt like a valued member of the team.
A great place to work were people care about people and the company by constantly striving to make themselves better, and more skilled.
Accounting Assistant III (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2014
Pros: my previous job understood the importance of hiring good people, enabling them to do their best.
Cons: i get frustrated by unmotivation, doing unrelated things at length and never actually doing anything.
Every work day consisted of interaction with patients, finances, insurance matters, payments for services, and meetings.

I learned a lot about my skills and abilities and what I want to bring to my next position. Because of my self motivation, I loved having the duality of being creative and organized. Continuing to grow professionally in a new direction – more... is important to me, but I wouldn't mind working in a field with a similar viewpoint.”.

I want to learn more about this. – less
Friendly enviornment
Accounting Assistant III (Former Employee), Dundalk, MarylandJuly 29, 2014
On a typical day, I would collect patients copays at a secured window in order for them to receive their methadone treatment. As payments were taken, a receipt was written for each patient and the payment was then posted into Microsoft excel and the Meditech system. Once the window was closed I would then bag the money into a secure deposit bag and – more... transport it to the deposit window. Once the cash was deposited, I then to do my insurance verification for all patients who had commercial insurance. Overall I loved my job, especially interacting with different people. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was having to leave due to complications with my pregnancy. – less
Growing challenging healthcare system
Staff RN/Chemical Dependency Intake Office (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 29, 2014
JHBMC is a very challenging hospital system to work for with many opportunities for growth.
Positive interaction with patients and staff
Patient Registrar (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 21, 2014
Pros: always learning
Open office and set up charts for the day.
Greet patients and family members as they arrive.
Obtain necessary insurance information.
Verify benefits via phone or computer.
Collect co-pays and post to appropriate account.
My co- workers were supportive and incredibly easy to work with.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the interactions with patients – more... and their family members. – less
good job skills
Patient Registrar/Phone Associate (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2014
Loved being a part of this team and we worked to get the patient authorized to be inpatient
Overall, a good place to learn and work
Program Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 14, 2014
Multi-varied clientele with many opportunities to work and grow. The hospital offers many product lines - general care, bariatrics, geriatrics, burn care, trauma care, stroke, pediatrics (limited), neonate, maternal-child, and cardiac, to name a few. Great place to "springboard" a nursing career to other hospitals.
great
Central Sterile Processor II (Former Employee), baltimoreJune 11, 2014
I prepared food properly, washed dishes, and delivered food to the proper units.
look before you leap
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 28, 2014
Pros: pay is somewhat comparable, can learn a lot
Cons: unneccessary hostile and unprofessional behaviors from coworkers, management is extremely poor
From the unbearably poor management to the hostile, cutthroat and unprofessional attitude of many employees, I cannot find it in my heart to recommend this place to work. Sure, I fell under the working for Johns Hopkins façade, but it quickly faded when the true nature of my fellow employees and manager were exposed.There are some good attributes, but – more... the bad weighs out over them. It's a shame, really, because it could be so much better if HR stepped up and immediately cut out the ones who have caused so much grief for so long and be more selective in the hiring processes for those positions. If they had a different team (not the providers), one could breathe easier. But as it were, the hostility, unfair and hostile working environment are still in full effect. Going into specifics will keep a reader here for a day. So if you want to be treated like an intelligent, team working peer, please save yourself the trouble of looking at Johns Hopkins Bayview and look elsewhere. – less
Valuable work experience
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical CenterMay 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks
Working for Johns Hopkins has exposed me to many state of the art procedures and surgeries. Everyone worked well together and inspired me want to become a Respiratory Therapist.
Produc
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Baltimore, MarylandMay 21, 2014
Pros: discounted food from the hospital cafeteria.
Working at Bayview Hospital was a great experience.
My co-workers were extremely nice and took me in with open arms.
I was only there for 6 weeks for a summer intern, but it was a great opportunity. I learned a lot about secretarial work. Such as learning how to file paper, and even how to use a scanner to import them onto a computer. My skills with – more... Microsoft Office even increased. – less
Busy Practice with great coworkers
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2014
going into work was most pleasurable thinking abut the people I would come in contact with. I learned how to work with a diverse group of individuals gaining a new respect for all cultures.
big business
Certified Medical Assistant NRCMA (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
I wasn't pleased with my experience at Bayview however I wanted to make a difference. I chose to stay positive and help the patients as best as I could. however management was more impressed with the amount of people coming through the door then the amount of happy patients that walked out the door.
NA (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 17, 2014
Great mentorship and a great place to work. The management is top notch. My co-workers are supportive and encourage growth.
Academic center with complex cases
Medical Director of Obstetric Anesthesia (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: challenging environment, intellectually stimulating
Cons: located in a high crime city
Most enjoyable is taking care of patients and teaching residents.
7am-5 pm busy days.
Differnt view
Nurse Extern (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 28, 2014
While at Johns Hopkins Bayview I was a student extern. I got to experience working in units that I would not have gotten a chance to while in school. This let me branch out and see what was out there.
It has been an experience
Perioperative Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 19, 2013
I love perioperative nursing!! I feel I am a productive member of the healthcare team.
My Day At Work
Office Administrative Assistant lll (Current Employee), Baltimore, MdNovember 22, 2013
Pros: enjoy helping others
Cons: every job has a down side so speak on it.
I start my day unofficially at 6am I believe in being on time and preparing mentally for my day. At 7am I clock in and start with the patient list far as isolations and status (inpatient or outpatient), speak with the charge nurse for any changes, read and respond to emails. Cancel and post surgical cases, notify surgeons in reference to their cases – more... in regards to special equipment or what ever is necessary. I have only been in this position for almost 2 years and I am enjoying it very much I have learned so much about the difference kinds of surgeries. And my co- workers are interesting and willing to work with you. The hardest part of my job is not knowing. The most enjoyable part is helping others and if I can't I will make is a point to locate someone who can assist. Now as to management the biggest part is if you are going to help me at the front don't just dictate help out other then that I have no issues. – less
Easy work environment, easy to slack off
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 12, 2013
Pros: doctors readily available
Cons: unionized employees
Teaching hospital, which was great because every doctor you needed was right down the hallway. Otherwise, it could be frustrating. Transport was not BLS certified and could not transport anybody on IV pumps or telemetry. Techs were usually career techs who have worked there for decades and were hard to work with. Majority of staff (except nursing) was – more... unionized which meant they got their two 15 minute and one half hour break no matter what, among other things, which made a busy day inconvenient. – less

1 2 3