Johns Hopkins Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Productive,flexible
Patient Service Coordinator IV (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 8, 2016
I am a full time work from home employee, benefits are awesome and so is management. Coworkers are friendly everyone is willing to help. Many opportunities for advancement,
Pros
flexibility
Stimulating and fast paced
Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 20, 2015
Interesting and diverse place to work. Great people for peers. I love the opportunity to introduce people to an environment with so much potential for growth from entry level. A normal day consists of reviewing the previous day's activity records, greeting staff, planning out the daily work assignments and debriefing my management team on any issues/solutions before assigning the entry level their tasks. The remainder of the day is a mixture of normal large institution politics, change adaptations, and HR related tasks.

Overall it is a great place to learn professionally.
Pros
Introducing new people to a large institution with great benifits, opportunities and history.
Cons
Need for finantial growth.
Appreciate the Opportunity
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 29, 2015
Appreciate the opportunity. They gave me my coding start and education. Salary is not good at all. Management is not good at all. Glad I'm gone.
Pros
Company Reputation
Cons
They don't live up to it
Busy
Project Leader - EBB (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 10, 2015
Important responsibilities equale to increased dedication. Currently IT is in a major transitional period with the impending EPIC release which will replace approximately 1/2 of the existing IT systems.
Pros
Work/life balances
Cons
Stagnant salary increases not consistently tied to accomplishments
Productive and secure work place ,excellent benefits
Lab Technician II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2016
I begin work at 5:30am. I get an assigned unit for blood collection. Assist co-workers with patient's they were un able to collect blood from as well as help out on any units that weren't completed.
8am I work in our outpatient clinic were I also collect blood and urine specimens from patients. If assigned to the front desk, I register patients in Epic and Soft ID program. My coworkers and I get along. The hardest part of my job is the hours and shift I work. I enjoy interacting with patients from all walks of life. I meet people from everywhere. I enjoy the conversations. I love it when patient's request me as their Lab Technician, it let me know that I am very good at my job and I take pride in knowing that I meet the needs of my patient's.
Pros
I meet different people every day.
Cons
My hours.
Friendly and social
Nutrition Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 15, 2016
Not really a bad place to work but it can hard to really move up due to the shortage, on workers on top of people calling outs. Also working in food service in the department of nutrition working in the cafeteria; there are not but so many opportunities to advance. It is more of a place to get your foot in the door, and to give you a chance to grow as a worker. But my days working there and growing help to be prepared , because at times you really don't know what you are going to walk yourself into from day to day. But that's the optimistic part of working at Johns Hopkins Hospital in nutrition; it gives you a chance to really develop as a worker and to be a team player. So if it's one thing that I can so honestly say that I learned from the time, I have been and to discipline. In a way I was able to benefit from that and being apart world known hospital. Working there has helped with dealing the real world and helped make it easier to maintain.
Pros
Weekends and Holidays off, and time off with pay
Cons
Being short staffed
Oppurtunity for growth and learning
Chaplain Resident (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 5, 2016
Hopkins provides a wonderful educational opportunity to employees. You are learning from some of the best care practitioners in the world. In field of spiritual care and chaplaincy you can work with cunning edge programs that can redefine what it means to offer chaplaincy.
This is one of the most demanding institutions in the world and you may find it hard to strike a good work life balance.
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Multimedia & Learning Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 18, 2015
Johns Hopkins is a great place to work because of the nature of your work. Everything you do from someone cleaning the facilities to our Doctors are all very vital to the smooth operation of Johns Hopkins Hospital. On a typical day, I'm either shooting or editing videos or photos and managing several projects with various deadlines.
Pros
Work/life balance, flexible work hours, benefits
Cons
Compensation
Dietary is not the area you would want to work in
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Jhh@BayviewJuly 9, 2016
I was very happy when I was hired. I started work and was only given one day of training. Thereafter, everything went down hill. I was told that I wasn't doing the job properly and faced harassment everyday by management. I had a horrible experience working there only because of poor managers. These people need training on how to train new employees. They have a high turnover of employees and it will always be that way until managers learn to train and respect employees. Inter action with Co workers, patients and other staff members was great.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
would not accept union position
evc worker, support associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 21, 2015
The staff are great hard working employees but management does not acknowledge employee potential. Would rather hold employees in low paying positions prevent promotions to better positions. If you choose to obtain an education through this hospital great opportunity but obtaining another position is dependent on how well management likes you education does not matter. If education was obtained either by degree or otherwise the only way you move up will be only be through recommendations from management.
Pros
fellow employees are wonderful
Cons
no advancement if in housekeeping, or support staff or most union positions here

Want to know more about Johns Hopkins Hospital?

Ask a question
productive workplace
CMA (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 15, 2016
I worked a 40 hr shift; 8-4:30 and assisted physicians in the triaging of their patients for the day. Each day was different based on the CMA placement of the day. I learned a lot about different pt. medication and dosage. I also became more fluent with medical terminology. The management of Johns Hopkins were stern, but professional. My co-workers were a diverse group of individuals with different opinions. The hardest part about working there was picking where you were going to eat for lunch. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the patients.
Pros
free lunches, wonderful patients, hands on experience, fast-paced
Work Hard, Bureaucratic, Stability, Smart People
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  JHHSDecember 2, 2015
Hopkins is an excellent organization going through the pangs of change. If is a good the place is to work depends on your function, If you are a 'line worker' and unionized, you get fair wages and management doesn't make you work too hard. If you're exempt professional (non-clinical) you'll work hard and long hours for less than market wages. But, you won't be required to improve or advance, only to keep working and not questioning. Change comes slowly to the place. The physicians and nursing 'rule the roost' and it's hard to make changes and extract performance for anyone. HR is rather ineffective and overburdened. If you go in with too low a salary, they will not let you get large increases. For example, if you go in with a position you are overqualified for and accept a lower salary to get in, when you do get the job you are fit for, you will receive a lower salary than coming in from the outside because they won't let you 'jump that high'. Many people leave, then come back in order to get a raise by 'coming from the outside'. It's hard to get hired from the outside, however, as current employees are given preference. It is very decentralized, which is good and bad. Advantage is you get to work with VERY smart people. Everyone is over-educated. If you don't have 'letters' you can put behind your name, you'll be the underdog in a company where employees have strings of degree designations behind their names. This is clinical and non-clinical. It's good hard work. But pay is low. Benefits are great, however. If you're young go in now and stay. If you're  more... older, you may want to re-think employment, unless you're coming in at a senior level. It's hard to advance within the organization.  less
Pros
stability, smart people to work with
Cons
low pay, confusing matrixed management structure, slow to change
A great place to work
Nurse Clinician IIE (Current Employee) –  Pediatric Emergency RoomJuly 9, 2016
I learned a great deal at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Not just in my nursing care, but in my dealings with staff at all levels. I have learned amazing communication skills and I know my limitations and when I need help.
I get along with my co-workers and we have a bond in the Pediatric ER like no other unit where I have worked. The hardest part of my job is watching pediatric patients die. We try everything in our power and sometimes it just isn't enough.
The most enjoyable part of my job is putting smiles on childrens faces when they are going through something very scary.
Great company to work for
Clinical Data Abstractor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 5, 2015
Great work environment, everyone is friendly and helpful. There is plenty of resources and training. The benefits are excellent with plenty of support in many ways. I would recommend this company to anyone who values a good working environment and an excellent reputation.
Goal oriented, fun and engaged with a gym.
International Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 4, 2016
My day starts with meeting with international patients and escort them to the clinics where they are getting the health care services. Part of my job is to interpret from English to Arabic and vice versa. As a care coordinator, I have learnt a lot about the following:
- Health care management
- Health care billing
- Care coordination
- Interpreting consecutively
- Patients safety and privacy ( HIPAA)
- Employees engagement
The hardest part of the job is that it is a fast paced business that taught me to be accuracy and swift action, and attention to detail.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when the patient is treated and their goal is attained.
Great for new graduates.
Medical laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 12, 2015
New graduates will learn a lot. Experience will last a lifetime. Compensation not great, but good for someone with no experience.
Great Health Care Company
SYSTEMS SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 26, 2015
Answer phones, install software and trouble issues and resolve issues.
Learned how to work with different people
Co workers were nice
no hard work
enjoyed working with professionals
Pros
good benefits
Cons
had to react quickly patient care
Multicultural, educational environment
RESEARCH PROJECT - Pressure Ulcers Advisory Board (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 23, 2016
Very competitive environment to work, multicultural and educational environment. Difficult to advance in career, job recruitment takes along time due to shortage of staffing.
Pros
Multicultural
Cons
advancement in career is difficult
Career building job
Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 11, 2015
Customer service oriented place with friendly and helpful co-workers. I enjoy working with my co-workers and patients in helping with patient care.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
n/a
management was terrible
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 30, 2015
the supervisiors are very rude they come to work with negative attitudes there was alot of favortism from staff to works
Pros
hour breaks good benefits and a change to futher your career
Cons
not respectful to works

Johns Hopkins Hospital Reviews by Location