Johns Hopkins Hospital Employee Reviews

Poor raises
Project Leader - Electronic BedBoard (EBB) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 8, 2016
Great benefits. Raises were consistently poor throughout company. Culture is changing rapidly.
EPIC replaced many IT systems and affected job security
Benefits
Cons
Poor raises
just like any other place
Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 30, 2017
Johns hopkins is just like any other large employer the morale is low the hospital will find best way to pay you the least amount of money to do work that someone else somewhere else is being paid twice as much to do the raise are 2% which is below the industry standard (as far as IT is concerned)
Cons
there is often no growth depending on your department
Great benefits and wonderful coworkers
Patient Service Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 12, 2017
I enjoyed my employment with Johns Hopkins, they have excellent benefits. My coworkers were awesome and I got to know some interesting individuals. The patients were a pleasure to wrk with and be around daily.
benefits
Cons
management
Hopkins
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work was hectic, they were always short staff and over worked their staff. I learned the true meaning of team work, it was required to have a efficient work pace. Nutrition management sucked, not all, but some were very unprofessional, although you had to keep a business demeanor, it would have also been nice to have a personal connection with staff as well, to have a more positive moral in a work place. My co workers were wonderful, we worked together and looked out for one another. The hardest part about my job was being understaffed, over worked, and under paid.The most enjoyable part of my job was ultimately helping the patients.
Institution supports educational and professional growth
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 3, 2016
The Johns Hopkins Hospital is a great place to work and grow. The institution encourages their staff to further their education through a plethora of continuing education and/or degree programs. It's somewhat challenging because not all managers or departments welcome this idea of growth. Some are stuck in the 20th century work culture. I think once that's bought up to par, Hopkins will be capable of revolutionizing not just Healthcare, but also the concept of the ideal work environment.
Pros
I feel the company promotes and supports professional growth
Cons
Some leaders are stuck in the 20th century work environment
Thoroughly enjoyed my employment at JHH
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2016
During my 18 yrs that I worked at JHH I was employed in various departments so the actual work varied.
I credit 2 bosses that I had early on in my JHH career for teaching me my work ethic.
Through these various departments I learned many things. How to work as a team was the most important thing I learned throughout my tenure at JHH.
Pros
Employed by a world renowned institution
Cons
Salary could be more competitive
Best job I ever had.
CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 22, 2017
Best job I have had. Management A+++. Opportunities for advancement, furthering education. Teaching hospital. The management wants you to be the best, smartest, version of yourself.
Pros
see above
Cons
location
Great Experience
3) Medical interpreter (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 29, 2016
- Working under stress and and time management was one of the best things that i learned in Johns Hopkins.
- professionalism of the managers are more than appreciated.
- co-workers where all professionals and helpful, it was a pleasure being part of the team.
- hardest part of the job is to maintain being professional whatever how much the stress was, putting in consideration that dealing with patients and families will always require extra patience.
- Most enjoyable part was the appreciation of the patients or the family when the patient finishes his treatment.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
life balance
Competitive environment.
Operations Manager (Latin America/Europe (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 8, 2016
Client services a priority.
Management adheres to policies and procedures which change according to need.
The hardest part of the job is coordinating all aspects of patient visits in a short turn around time due to provider availability.
Coworkers are professional.
Pros
Health benefits and access to excellent care
great learning facility
Perioperative implant specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 11, 2017
great place to kick start your career. lots of benefits available for students. I learned a tremendous about from this establishment
Not easy to get a job and difficult to advance
LAN ADMIN II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 30, 2016
Compensation seems to be lower than market value. The technologies used in environments are better than most medical environments and the technical culture is embraced.
Dietary is not the area you would want to work in
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Jhh@BayviewJuly 9, 2016
I was very happy when I was hired. I started work and was only given one day of training. Thereafter, everything went down hill. I was told that I wasn't doing the job properly and faced harassment everyday by management. I had a horrible experience working there only because of poor managers. These people need training on how to train new employees. They have a high turnover of employees and it will always be that way until managers learn to train and respect employees. Inter action with Co workers, patients and other staff members was great.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Nice place to work.
Clinical Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 5, 2016
Nice place to work, Great place for advancement. Great benefits. Nice clean and friendly work environment, Place for growth in the medical field. Nice diversity
started as a new graduate (1987); a very valuable learning experience
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 31, 2016
Learned my professional nursing skills with excellent preceptors.Diverse patient population and diagnoses afforded me the opportunity to enhance/expand my clinical performance. My clinical advancements afforded me the opportunity to go from the bedside to management, thus making my professional skills more marketable.
Fun dealing with public. Helping custormers
Lead Development Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 23, 2017
Long day of walking, bending, filing,answering phones dada entry,schedule appointments and more..I learn this job keep you busy. When working in a hospital, there is so much to be done. Management support employees subjection Everyone got along no matter who it was. The hardest part of the job was when you could not help a customer and have to referral them to someone else. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting customers and helping them.
Pros
yes. Free lunch 1 every month
Cons
yes. breaks 2 15 mins
Needs work
Pathologists asst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 17, 2016
Johns Hopkins is a large business that will prepare you for other opportunities however, there seems to be room for improvement. Employees need motivation to do well, and if not monetarily people need to know they are an asset to a company and appreciated. Johns Hopkins seems to be a revolving door unfortunately because it has such potential.
Pros
stable
Cons
benefits, advancement
Good place to start out of college, bad pay
Bilingual Patient Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2016
Great first out of college job to start off in the call center. Co-workers are mostly great to work with and feel like I am part of a team. Overall, management is nice and works with you to accommodate you as best as they can when things come up.
Pros
Good starter job out of college, good insurance
Cons
Low pay, not much room for advancement in current role, job burnout from taking calls all day
Hopkins certified
Sterile Processing Supervisor Labor and Delivery (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 21, 2017
Hopkins offer a variety of skills in which to advance your career in different aspects of medicine. I was able to receive specialized training that was recognized at other medical facilities. I was trained to perform many task that I would not have gotten without a degree or internship in that field. Hopkins has taught me many things that I was able to apply in other jobs. i enjoyed my experience at Hopkins and wish to return there in the future.
Pros
teaching
Cons
pay
fun educational institution high volume lab
Histology Tech II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2016
Fun, warm, teaching environment. Very high volume lab. Many responsibilities. Mandatory overtime. Mandatory inclement weather. Mandatory stand and defend. Management does not communicate effectively with one another. Too many people in leadership roles. Too many people just starting in histology. Not much room for growth. Parking for employees is not the best. I pay to park in the garage and I still have to walk four blocks to get to work in inner city Baltimore. This eats up about 20 mins per day.
what i liked about hopkins
Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2016
love meeting people who comes from a different background as me. you learn different cultures and languages. A typical day at work are greeting your co-workers getting prepared for the day and checking on your patients. working at Hopkins taught me how much team work is really needed in a place such as busy as this. It also taught me how to be kind and more open with people. The hardest part about working at Hopkins are sometimes pleasing people which is rare. Its hard because we put so much into work that we want to please the people around us and sometimes it doesn't be enough. The most enjoyable part of my job are the co-workers and the patients. Just to know that you can make someone day just by speaking or smiling or just giving conversation will make a difference.
Pros
free days, holiday pay, bonuses
Cons
need to be appericated more, need 5min grace period in the morning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.