Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

JHU-School of Medicine
Registration C (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 29, 2016
Work environment is horrible. Management doesn't care about employees. Human Resources isn't any better. Bullying is a large part of the office environment. There is a blame game.

The company is not what it appears to be. Yes, the School of Medicine is the forth top medical school in the world; however, respect is lacking in all areas.

JHU is behind the times with technology. Collaboration between the schools within Hopkins isn't heard of. There isn't room for individuality.

Benefits are not that great. Benefits with the state are better.

Johns Hopkins University will work employees like a dog. Training is very limited.

When considering a job a jhu ask, what happened with the person previously in the position. Also. Ask about the work environment. Ask how management deals with bullying.

Good luck if you choose a job with jhu
Pros
Some co workers are great
Cons
Pay, management, hr, workload, training
Lab Life
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 11, 2016
I love my lab, my coworkers are great but the job is very stressful and the pay is pretty low. The day is pretty relaxed as far as timing goes but expect to stay late sometimes and come in early other times.
Pros
Fantastic coworkers
Cons
Low pay and resistance from HR when my supervisor tried to give me a raise.
Good benefits
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2016
Working with Directors and other faculty has given me the opportunity to expand my network and has allowed me to grow my skill set in many different was. I appreciate many of relationships that I have formed with many of my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is the overall atmosphere and culture of my office.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work atmosphere and culture
Neurology/Neurosurgery
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 12, 2016
The neurology/neurosurgery department has a revolving door due to poor management. Employees are not valued. The department is the only department within the CPA to receive occurrences; ex. If you are involved in a car accident while driving to work and unable to make it in, you will receive an occurrence. If you are hospitalized and you're unable to work, you will receive an occurrence. The atmosphere in the department is very unwelcoming, employees are not allowed to talk during work hours. Employees are micromanaged. Management has very bad communication skills and lacks knowledge of job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
Didn't go to school for this.
Endovascular PA (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2016
I primarily do orders, attend clinic, fill prescriptions, call patients, give pre op, post op instructions. Assist with suture removal, staple removal and intra op procedures for two neurosurgeons at JHH and Bayview medical centers. Cerebral angiograma and cerebral embolization procedures.
Benefits
Cons
not enough hands on procedures, more adminstrative
Great Benefits
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 26, 2016
Great benefits with ample time off to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Everyone receives the same increase each year (normally around 2%) so there is no incentive to do extra work or meet deadlines. Parking costs $120.00 per month so take that into account. Unqualified employees are hired based on their "zip code". JHU has an excellent retirement plan.
Pros
50% dependent tuition to any college or university - TAX FREE
Cons
Location (East Baltimore) and parking expense.
Productive and Great place for Advancement
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 23, 2016
I have learned great skill while working for Hopkins. They offer great benefits and the work experience has been great. The training was hard, but once you learn the ropes, you are off to the ropes.
diverse co workers
Research Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
Usual 9-5 . Wish SOM used more Work life offers. Some jobs really could be done from home or with more flexible hours. You will find some days you are jus milking the clock and other days you cant catch a breath. Management is pretty nice. they all support the pursuit of higher education and they offer tuition reimbursement. A good starter company and a good place if you know exactly what you want to do. Lots of internal administration positions. not exactly the best place for growth and promotion. That's a role of the dice. People do stay here till they die or finally decide to retire out of a position... Also , ur off when the school is out for school days.
Pros
network, unique events, over all great benefits
Cons
same 9-5, 401k dont match till ur 35
Learned a great deal of things while working here at Johns Hopkins
Record Assistance Clerk/Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 9, 2016
Working here at Hopkins gave me the opportunity to learn new and exciting things. I am always a type of person to excel in what I am doing and Johns Hopkins University allow me to excel. Management team in my department is great. I work alone without management because they trust me so well, where as I do not need management constantly looking at my work. I rec'd all kinds of gifts and letters from other personal for my helping them with a situation.
Pros
Great healthcare, great benefits
Cons
My cons about working here is my pay salary
Fun, fun, fun
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2016
I loved working here. The staff were very helpful and assisted me with anything I needed. I loved working in the community with neighborhood organizers and local radio stations.
Pros
Health insurance, benefits, salary
Cons
Project ended to soon

Want to know more about Johns Hopkins University?

Ask a question
great place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 5, 2016
in my opinion I believe johns Hopkins has great opportunities for customers and staff . I enjoyed my co workers. must were good team players . they also provided great benefits
benefits
Cons
short breaks lack of reconition
Love the Job, not a fan of Management
Ophthalmic Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2016
I enjoy working here, love my co-workers and the actual job itself is stimulating. My management team is terrible which makes work difficult sometimes. This is a high volume, fast place with constant challenges.
Pros
Amazing Benifits
Cons
Poor Management
Great Place
Research Assistant, Oncology Department (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 24, 2016
Working at JHU was amazing it was a great experience. I wish I didnt have to move or else I would have still been work for the university. The benefits for working for the university was awesome.
Good benifits, stability,great healthcare reputation
Healthcare Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 9, 2016
Johns Hopkins University is a stable environment to receive employment. Training and the demand for day to day expectations of daily task, will prepare you to work in, and handle any future employment elsewhere.
Pros
Good benifits, stability, great healthcare reputation
Cons
organization looks at employees like a number, not a valued person
There is a reason why this is the #1 Hospital in the country
Clinic Coordinator/Division of Rheumatology (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 7, 2016
I really loved my time at JHU. Truly second to none when it comes to leadership and working with everyone. Although I was a low level administrative person, no one ever made me feel inferior even though these are the best doctors in the world.

The physicians made all of us feel comfortable even letting us called them by there first name. This made you go above and beyond for them. This really was a team environment.

Sadly I moved back home to NY, I will always regret it, because I forgot how bad the culture is in NYC hospitals. Wish I can go back to JHU.
educational life experience
Provider Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDFebruary 26, 2016
I have loved working for JHU since 2003. At my location, our building is involved in the community. We have fund raisers and adopt families during the holidays
Pros
close to home
pay is not enough
Community Health Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 14, 2016
I love my job and the people we server, but pay is not enough stay.. It's stressful when you cant afford to pay your bills and its no room for advancement unless you go to another department.
Pros
love my team
Cons
cant pay my bills
Excellent place to work
Senior Research Nurse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Defiance, AZMarch 2, 2016
Johns Hopkins is and excellent place to work. The benefits are outstanding and the Center that I work for is top notch. I would recommend JHU to anyone who is interested.
Excellent work environment
Senior Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for Johns Hopkins. They have a great work culture and there is opportunity for advancement. My co-workers were great to work with and my job entailed working with children, which I very much liked. The experience was great!
Pros
Working with capable people
Cons
JHU is a nice place to work
Documentation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fells Point, MDJune 30, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of running several reports in various computer systems. Determining whether a patient's charges could be released depending on the particular study that they were on. If further investigation into the patients charges were needed an electronic bill was printed and give to the coding specialists.
I've learned many valuable things at this position such as new systems and how to determine study related information from different computer systems. Uploading research consent forms that were faxed through Right Fax to Epic into the patient's chart.
Management in my particular office was not the best. Bad decision making, and upper management can't seem to work cohesively together.
My coworkers are the best - teamwork
I thing the hardest thing of my job is seeing when a patient is on a study and didn't survive.
The best part about my job is when you are able to see that a patient is responding well to a particular study.
Pros
Flexibility/Telecommute work
Cons
Unprofessionalism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johns Hopkins University. Our community is ready to answer.

Johns Hopkins University Reviews by Location