Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Production and Challenging
Senior Research Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore MDJuly 29, 2015
Provided with many opportunities to learn and grow in your career. The work is challenging and gives a sense of accomplishment when completed.
Collaborative Prestigious Researchers
Senior Community Outreach Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Weekly Research Rounds
Cons: Less involved in the research aspect....number analysis, researching, etc. Public Health Politics in funding and outreach support
Had a privilege to be apart of an esteem team of Epidemiologist, Statisticians, CDC representatives, Epistemology, and Pediatricians who developed a public health campaign lowering the HIV epidemic in Baltimore City. My specific role was to represent this campaign as a Sr Community Specialist. Conducting interventions using algorithms put in place by combining advice from New York's and Washington D.C Detailing Model. Intervention contained (Campaign introduction, survey for Physician and Office manager, ending in action kit presentation). The rewarding part of the job was knowing your impact when dropping off HIV action kit set off a ligand signaling catastrophic cycle of events starting from educating physicians in HIV counseling all the way to retaining infected patients lost in care.
Great place to work, excellent growth potential
Group Administrator (Current Employee), Laurel, MDJuly 27, 2015
I love working for JHU/APL. Unfortunately, I have recently moved and my commute has become overwhelming. Otherwise, I would not be searching for other employment! Nothing bad to say about JHU/APL
Nice place to do research
Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 22, 2015
Intensive research work should be expected here. Have learned both independent and team work here, advance the ability of quick learning and implement.
Accounts Payable, Reconciliations, Budgets,
Budget Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
Cons: Not as challenging as I would hope for
The position at Johns Hopkins University has provided additional experience in areas such as Accounts Payable (invoices and travel reimbursements) and Reconciliations. I have also gained knowledge with budgets which I did not have prior to this position. I have also helped with updating current policies and procedures as well as help create new ones such as implementing reconciliation policies.
SR. ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Baltimore,MDJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Nice place to work
Cons: No Growth
There are excellent opportunities for anyone that is willing to work and learn.JHU offer their employee stability with the opportunity to advance in any area of your choice, but it id difficult to advace.
Responsible for Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 15, 2015
I've been teaching assistant for two courses. I like the students and professors of both courses. I get to know what other people think about certain problems, which I think is the most interesting part. I also communicate a lot with the lectures and students to help with grading and provide homework solutions. I even give two lectures for students. Awesome experiences.
wonderful experience...
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 9, 2015
I had a wonderful experience at Johns Hopkins. What I learned from my managers and co-workers still resides in me today. Their dedication and commitment to their jobs, and to the environment, is truly amazing.
Fun
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 8, 2015
A wonderful place to work, great people and lots of fun. Best place I've ever worked at. Nothing but the best!!!

World renowed institution with a delightful diverse atmosphere
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Lutherville, MDJuly 2, 2015
A typical work day consists of a robust patient flow, anywhere from 25-90 patients on a day to day rotation. The clinical team works as one and s very supportive of the other medical personel. My job entails patient triage along with front desk receptionist responsibilities; check in, check out and some specialty scheduling per each provider. My co- workers are amicable and light hearted. The hardest part of my job is identifying each providers personal needs; as we are a satelite office and many doctors provide care here.The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing the care I provided was exceptional and helped the patient's visit go that much smoother.
Great place to work with outstanding benifits
Senior Construction Project Manager (Former Employee), Laurel, MDJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
Cons: Goverment contractor
Easy place to work for. They offer continuing education and sponsor classes that are helpful to the job. Mid-management is good and works hard with the staff to make the job fun and enjoyable. Upper management is disconnected from the day to day activities. Hardest part of my job was getting layed off when the economy took a downwards turn. The most enjoyable paret wes the staff.
Good Place to Work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 1, 2015
Working as a teaching assistant at Johns Hopkins University is fun, you get the opportunity to communicate with student about their questions in classes. The professors are also very nice.
This is the best job that I've ever head!
Quality Assurance Specialist - Core Services (Current Employee), Nottingham, MDJune 26, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, good management, stress free environment.
Cons: pay
JHU is a wonderful environment that offers flexibility, learning and great management. If you're a student, this is a good place to be. No stress and they offer so much to the employees.
Postdoctoral research fellow (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 25, 2015
Productive and fun workplace with a lot of discussion with a great diversity of research areas is the Johns Hopkins University that manage a good mix of experts in science as well as in staff. The most enjoyable part of my job is to have the broadest range of scientific experts as collaborators and colleagues.
CTY
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), balt mdJune 17, 2015
Awesome program for kids. Very engaging with youth. A lot of people have been there for a long time and are not accepting to change.
Solid Place To Work
Manager, Software Development (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 11, 2015
Pros: ok tuition benefit, flexible schedule, nice retirement benefit, great child tuition benefit
Cons: pay is on lower side, very small raises (2% max in a good year)
JHU is a big place with lots of different divisions. It is very balkanized so your mileage may vary.

However, I very much enjoyed working at Johns Hopkins. Most of the people that I had to work with were competent (mostly tech people up at Mount Washington) and friendly.

Management can feel pretty rigid and is very formal but they do care and try to offer support and opportunity for growth. Hierarchy means a lot. I have heard horror stories about faculty members berating staff but I have not experienced or witnessed that.

The pay is a little bit low but it is offset by other benefits (e.g. 4% or 8% into a retirement account for you -- no match required, 1/2 Hopkins Tuition for college age students to attend other accredited schools, etc).
Work Life Balance
Strategic Planning Summer Intern (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 11, 2015
- Good working environment
- Nice people
- Career growth
- Good training
- the most part of the job is the everyone is trying to help and the colleagues are always there to help.
Great atmosphere and great people to work with
Researcher (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2015
Pros: everything is close to everything else, geographically
Cons: pay for limited parking time, all the time
Begins with a meeting with lab PI and other associates regarding certain projects, grants, and assignments that need to be reviewed/completed. The amount I learned from working with this lab surpasses any research I have done thus far in my career ranging from animal handling, to techniques and problem solving skills applicable to molecular biology. The management team provided the leadership and tools necessary in order for myself and other co-workers to succeed. The hardest part of this job really had nothing to do with the job itself; however, the hardest part was navigating through Baltimore City and the large Hopkins campus. The most enjoyable portion of the job definitely included the atmosphere, which was not only the result of being in a large city, but also working with wonderful people who genuinely have drive and passion for what they do.
a good place to workd
Laboratory Technician II (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 2, 2015
Great benefits but pay could be better. Great atmosphere. It is definitely a place for room for growth depending on your department.
Great company to work for
Sr. Provider Relations Coordinator (Current Employee), Glen Burnie, MDMay 31, 2015
Great company to work, learn and grow in your profession. Co-workers are pleasant to work with , management is very supportive and informative. The work day is filled with an opportunity to help others and bring resolutions.