Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews in United States

diverse co workers
Research Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
Usual 9-5 . Wish SOM used more Work life offers. Some jobs really could be done from home or with more flexible hours. You will find some days you are jus milking the clock and other days you cant catch a breath. Management is pretty nice. they all support the pursuit of higher education and they offer tuition reimbursement. A good starter company and a good place if you know exactly what you want to do. Lots of internal administration positions. not exactly the best place for growth and promotion. That's a role of the dice. People do stay here till they die or finally decide to retire out of a position... Also , ur off when the school is out for school days.
Pros
network, unique events, over all great benefits
Cons
same 9-5, 401k dont match till ur 35
Learned a great deal of things while working here at Johns Hopkins
Record Assistance Clerk/Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 9, 2016
Working here at Hopkins gave me the opportunity to learn new and exciting things. I am always a type of person to excel in what I am doing and Johns Hopkins University allow me to excel. Management team in my department is great. I work alone without management because they trust me so well, where as I do not need management constantly looking at my work. I rec'd all kinds of gifts and letters from other personal for my helping them with a situation.
Pros
Great healthcare, great benefits
Cons
My cons about working here is my pay salary
Learn About Your Lab Before You Accept Job Offer
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 2, 2016
Lab tech jobs here can be nice, but it all depends on the lab you are working in. My experience was not so great. Pay is low and there is no job growth. You could get experience, but once again that depends on what lab you work in.

My boss was pretty abusive to everyone in his lab. He could not understand that I wasn't a graduate student but someone who wanted to start a career. He gave me homework, pushed me to apply to grad schools, and gave the vibe of just trying to get me out. Eventually he told me grant money ran out and I needed to find somewhere else to work. My coworkers were lovely people, but all of them left the lab. He promised me projects, then never went through with any of them. I left learning nothing and feeling horrible.

So, your lab experience may be different from mine, but it is a gamble.

Also, parking gets expensive. Homewood is a safe campus, though, and there were never many security problems.
Pros
Dental and Vision were great, Nice Coworkers
Cons
Abusive boss, No clear management, Low Pay, Health Insurance wasn't good
productive and collaboratuve learning enviroinment
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  baltimoreApril 7, 2016
Great benefit and management. Opportunity for collaboration, learn research, grow a great career while larning from the best
Pros
opppiortunity to learn and collaborate
Cons
none as of now
Friendly workplace
Sponsored Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 24, 2016
The work is repetitive. Friendly working environment. The management has realistic expectations and goals that if you work hard can be achieved.
educational life experience
Provider Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDFebruary 26, 2016
I have loved working for JHU since 2003. At my location, our building is involved in the community. We have fund raisers and adopt families during the holidays
Pros
close to home
Back office ran like 1980s
Student Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 6, 2015
Old systems, and the lack of departmental level IT assistance makes it very hard to integrate. No room for advancement within the department.

Responsible for last names F-k, bursar responsibilities.
Pros
Benefits, Environment
Cons
Management, No advancment
Great place to work but be prepared to work harder for less
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 18, 2015
They really try to value their people and have a strong commitment to excellence which is a place you want to be a part of. Unfortunately you have to be willing to sacrifice as far as work/ life balance and pay/advancement though. I would have loved to work there for 20+ years but I was working 50+ hours a week and making 30% less than I'm making now- I did a lateral move to a similar position in a different institution and now only work 40 hours. I just couldn't take the stress and financial burden any longer.

Overall, incredible place to work. I just hope they catch up salary wise to other comparable institutions.
Good benifits, stability,great healthcare reputation
Healthcare Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 9, 2016
Johns Hopkins University is a stable environment to receive employment. Training and the demand for day to day expectations of daily task, will prepare you to work in, and handle any future employment elsewhere.
Pros
Good benifits, stability, great healthcare reputation
Cons
organization looks at employees like a number, not a valued person
exciting working in healthcare helping others
Research Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore Maryland/ School of MedicineAugust 30, 2015
working with my study patients applying my expertise and my interpersonal skills. I learned to be a team player and to be well organized, my co-workers are professional and nice to work with they showed great inter personal skills as well.

The hardest part of my job was feeling a little stressed until I completed my assigned work on time I get a little anxiety when I feel over whelmed but I get it done in a timely manner.
Working with my patients was the most enjoyable part of my job,
and being challenged on certain aspects of my job.
Management was great very skilled and organized and very professional caring and kind respected your feedback and expertise.
Pros
Growth, benefits
Cons
no ovetime

Want to know more about Johns Hopkins University?

Ask a question
Solid Place To Work
Manager, Software Development (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 11, 2015
JHU is a big place with lots of different divisions. It is very balkanized so your mileage may vary.

However, I very much enjoyed working at Johns Hopkins. Most of the people that I had to work with were competent (mostly tech people up at Mount Washington) and friendly.

Management can feel pretty rigid and is very formal but they do care and try to offer support and opportunity for growth. Hierarchy means a lot. I have heard horror stories about faculty members berating staff but I have not experienced or witnessed that.

The pay is a little bit low but it is offset by other benefits (e.g. 4% or 8% into a retirement account for you -- no match required, 1/2 Hopkins Tuition for college age students to attend other accredited schools, etc).
Pros
ok tuition benefit, flexible schedule, nice retirement benefit, great child tuition benefit
Cons
pay is on lower side, very small raises (2% max in a good year)
JHU is a nice place to work
Documentation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fells Point, MDJune 30, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of running several reports in various computer systems. Determining whether a patient's charges could be released depending on the particular study that they were on. If further investigation into the patients charges were needed an electronic bill was printed and give to the coding specialists.
I've learned many valuable things at this position such as new systems and how to determine study related information from different computer systems. Uploading research consent forms that were faxed through Right Fax to Epic into the patient's chart.
Management in my particular office was not the best. Bad decision making, and upper management can't seem to work cohesively together.
My coworkers are the best - teamwork
I thing the hardest thing of my job is seeing when a patient is on a study and didn't survive.
The best part about my job is when you are able to see that a patient is responding well to a particular study.
Pros
Flexibility/Telecommute work
Cons
Unprofessionalism
Great place to work at with excellent staff.
Invited Researcher (Former Employee) –  Maryland Hall, ChemBEDecember 8, 2015
A typical day at work started with a good laugh with co-workers/friends, followed by lab experiments. Lunch break was spent preferably with co-workers/friends and again followed by lab work. If possible, another good laugh before leaving.
I learned many microfabrication techniques and a little bit of different languages.
The management and staff were very nice. The co-workers/friends were the best. The hardest part of the job was when something didn't work or went wrong (it was job related and not Hopkins related).
The most enjoyable part of the job was the job itself, co-workers/friends and group meetings.
Neurology/Neurosurgery
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 12, 2016
The neurology/neurosurgery department has a revolving door due to poor management. Employees are not valued. The department is the only department within the CPA to receive occurrences; ex. If you are involved in a car accident while driving to work and unable to make it in, you will receive an occurrence. If you are hospitalized and you're unable to work, you will receive an occurrence. The atmosphere in the department is very unwelcoming, employees are not allowed to talk during work hours. Employees are micromanaged. Management has very bad communication skills and lacks knowledge of job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
Excellent place to work
Senior Research Nurse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Defiance, AZMarch 2, 2016
Johns Hopkins is and excellent place to work. The benefits are outstanding and the Center that I work for is top notch. I would recommend JHU to anyone who is interested.
Plenty of work to be done and cleaned up
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 8, 2016
When all system are communicating with each other work can get done in a productive manner. On any day we are continully corrected errors from our front end to maximize revenue. The learning process is long but doable. Co-workers are good people. The hardest part of my job is the travel time to and from work. The most enjoyable part is when allsystems work and the revinue of a long standing account gets properly processed for payment.
Pros
FREE APPLICATION CLASSESS OFFERED
Cons
THE WAY WORK IS TO BE DONE PER DEPARTMENT
Great Benefits
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 26, 2016
Great benefits with ample time off to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Everyone receives the same increase each year (normally around 2%) so there is no incentive to do extra work or meet deadlines. Parking costs $120.00 per month so take that into account. Unqualified employees are hired based on their "zip code". JHU has an excellent retirement plan.
Pros
50% dependent tuition to any college or university - TAX FREE
Cons
Location (East Baltimore) and parking expense.
Excellent challenging employer
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 13, 2016
Great employer on cutting edge of health care
High expectations and high satisfaction
love patients
management is fair
co-workers are MDs
productive and fun work environment
Lead Testing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Testing was made easy with great training staff. Once we got out on the school site for testing, the school principal and participating teacher was very accommodating to our needs. When we had questions for administering the test, our supervisor was always accessible by email or phone. Our pay was always received on time. Each year we worked on ways to make the program easier.
Pros
pay, communication, training, work environment
Cons
group members work pace
great place for learning new skills
Surgical veterinary technician / Lab coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 12, 2016
My day varies way to much to say anything
I could be doing office work, or be helping with cases all day
Some days I could also be working with research patients
Pros
education
Cons
advancement with pay increases

Johns Hopkins University Reviews by Location