Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

productive
Research Specialist III (Current Employee) –  cancer centerJanuary 15, 2017
Great place to work. I like atmosphere and research system of this institute. I like research system of this institute and faculty. Very friendly environment etc
Pros
Cons
Great
Laboratory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 6, 2017
Good place to work and great benefits, some things can be better but overall a great place to grow and learn. Could make more money doing the same work at private company.
Fun workplace, limited options
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2017
fun and rewarding workplace, but positions are set and budgeted, thus additional mobility based on performance is not possible.
Pros
free gym
Cons
low pay
Review summary
Research Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fells Point, MDJanuary 4, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to meet new people. Research is innovative and there is always something to do in the research word.
Pleasant,safe,and informative
Medical Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 2, 2017
reporting in at least 20 minutes early to prepare for the workday. For example, checking company emails for news or any direct instructions from co-workers. Proceed with assigned duties. Attend once a week informative meetings. Working together as a team at all times. The hardest part only occurs when additional personnel is needed. When all is accomplished by the end of the day, makes the workday enjoyable
Pros
Weekly meetings to ensure everyone is on the same page
Cons
Under constant supervision
Stable place to work
Academic Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21205December 28, 2016
Hopkins is a good place to work if you want to work for a large company with room to move around and keep your benefits. There are several options for health care along with other benefits such as dental, eye care, life insurance, tuition grants, long and short term disability, The downside is parking.
Pros
benefits, room to advance
Cons
parking
Great Place to study
Student (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 26, 2016
Great Place to study. Well rounded environment fit for professionals. I learned a lot of stuff here. Myco-workers were also very nice. The hardest part is the studying. The most enjoyable part is the fun environment which ypu get.
great place
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 24, 2016
It is a great place to work at. The commute was far. You can have a great experience working here and building your career. The co workers are great as well.
Outstanding school to work for, friendly and diversified
DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 30, 2016
a typical day at work is BUSY
took advantage of computer classes which advanced my skills for example in MS Office software.
Management and Co-workers are friendly
the hardest part of the job is meeting back to back deadlines
the most enjoyable part of the job was taking advantage of the free day and evening classes offered.
Pros
On the job training available, company paid classes
Cons
Multiple deadlines to meet weekly can be time consuming
A great place to work
Laboratory Manager/ Research Technologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2016
I enjoyed working here. It's a great work atmosphere and they encourage acquiring new knowledge through workshops and seminars. The most enjoyable part of working here is getting publications.
TA for six weeks.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 17, 2016
I was a TA for two three week sessions, TAing for Advanced Robotics in the first session and for Electrical Engineering in the second session.

The time commitment is greater than full time.
Pros
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Included, Room Included
Patient-centered care
NURSE PRACTITIONER (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2016
I enjoy the improvement of overall health and chronic disease management, and room for personal growth and an advance practice provider. The benefit package is stellar. The ability to care for patients at a hospital that implements evidence-based practice is also important.
Most enjoyable
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job are the students. Seeing them transform from teens to adults. I really enjoy helping them to navigate life especially since for most of them, this is their first time away from home. I try to help them have a balance between school and life, to make sure they stop to smell the daises.
Great learning environment
Medical Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2016
Great environment to learn and work under world leaders in scientific research. Amazing staff and enjoyable workplace.
There is a reason why this is the #1 Hospital in the country
Clinic Coordinator/Division of Rheumatology (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 7, 2016
I really loved my time at JHU. Truly second to none when it comes to leadership and working with everyone. Although I was a low level administrative person, no one ever made me feel inferior even though these are the best doctors in the world.

The physicians made all of us feel comfortable even letting us called them by there first name. This made you go above and beyond for them. This really was a team environment.

Sadly I moved back home to NY, I will always regret it, because I forgot how bad the culture is in NYC hospitals. Wish I can go back to JHU.
learning
Medical Office Coordinator III, Neurology Services (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 3, 2016
Excellent place to work but not grow. Great learning experience and excellent if you want to get your education to move forward.
JHU-School of Medicine
Registration C (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 29, 2016
Work environment is horrible. Management doesn't care about employees. Human Resources isn't any better. Bullying is a large part of the office environment. There is a blame game.

The company is not what it appears to be. Yes, the School of Medicine is the forth top medical school in the world; however, respect is lacking in all areas.

JHU is behind the times with technology. Collaboration between the schools within Hopkins isn't heard of. There isn't room for individuality.

Benefits are not that great. Benefits with the state are better.

Johns Hopkins University will work employees like a dog. Training is very limited.

When considering a job a jhu ask, what happened with the person previously in the position. Also. Ask about the work environment. Ask how management deals with bullying.

Good luck if you choose a job with jhu
Pros
Some co workers are great
Cons
Pay, management, hr, workload, training
Great hospital
Sr. Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lutherville, MDOctober 14, 2016
Daily work is busy. Interacting with the patients and helping them was the best part of the day. Management is lacking compassion or interpersonal skills though.
pay is not enough
Community Health Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 14, 2016
I love my job and the people we server, but pay is not enough stay.. It's stressful when you cant afford to pay your bills and its no room for advancement unless you go to another department.
Pros
love my team
Cons
cant pay my bills
Lab Life
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 11, 2016
I love my lab, my coworkers are great but the job is very stressful and the pay is pretty low. The day is pretty relaxed as far as timing goes but expect to stay late sometimes and come in early other times.
Pros
Fantastic coworkers
Cons
Low pay and resistance from HR when my supervisor tried to give me a raise.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johns Hopkins University. Our community is ready to answer.