Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Didn't go to school for this.
Endovascular PA (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2016
I primarily do orders, attend clinic, fill prescriptions, call patients, give pre op, post op instructions. Assist with suture removal, staple removal and intra op procedures for two neurosurgeons at JHH and Bayview medical centers. Cerebral angiograma and cerebral embolization procedures.
Benefits
Cons
not enough hands on procedures, more adminstrative
Good benefits
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2016
Working with Directors and other faculty has given me the opportunity to expand my network and has allowed me to grow my skill set in many different was. I appreciate many of relationships that I have formed with many of my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is the overall atmosphere and culture of my office.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work atmosphere and culture
Great Benefits
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 26, 2016
Great benefits with ample time off to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Everyone receives the same increase each year (normally around 2%) so there is no incentive to do extra work or meet deadlines. Parking costs $120.00 per month so take that into account. Unqualified employees are hired based on their "zip code". JHU has an excellent retirement plan.
Pros
50% dependent tuition to any college or university - TAX FREE
Cons
Location (East Baltimore) and parking expense.
Neurology/Neurosurgery
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 12, 2016
The neurology/neurosurgery department has a revolving door due to poor management. Employees are not valued. The department is the only department within the CPA to receive occurrences; ex. If you are involved in a car accident while driving to work and unable to make it in, you will receive an occurrence. If you are hospitalized and you're unable to work, you will receive an occurrence. The atmosphere in the department is very unwelcoming, employees are not allowed to talk during work hours. Employees are micromanaged. Management has very bad communication skills and lacks knowledge of job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
High Stress Place with many rewards
Program Coordinator, Multicultural Affairs (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 17, 2016
Student affairs is a tough place to work because you learn so much but you dedicate a lot of time. Work/ life balance is difficult but you have to set aside me time. Love the center I work in, very family friendly and safe space to discuss culture
Pros
Free lunches
A wonderful place to work
Patient Advocate/ Case management/ (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2016
- fast paced environment
- I learned a lot of information regarding the HIV virus
-Management extremely nice and understanding
- Co workers very friendly, helpful and united
-Hardest part of the position me not wanting to leave at 5:00 pm till my responsibilities were completed for the day.
-Everyone at the clinic help one another
Upbeat positive environment
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
I worked at Jhpiego for well over a year and everyday I felt like I made a difference. My typical day at work began with warm greetings and great conversations. I am the first impression ambassador and it is an privilege to assist my colleagues and visitors.
Pay is not up to level of skills
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2016
terrible workplace, pay is low and culture is not fun. management is not up to skill level and it lacks leadership support. Functions in the organizational structure are based on friendships rather than performance. Physicians are allowed to behave badly and are protected.
Plenty of work to be done and cleaned up
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 8, 2016
When all system are communicating with each other work can get done in a productive manner. On any day we are continully corrected errors from our front end to maximize revenue. The learning process is long but doable. Co-workers are good people. The hardest part of my job is the travel time to and from work. The most enjoyable part is when allsystems work and the revinue of a long standing account gets properly processed for payment.
Pros
FREE APPLICATION CLASSESS OFFERED
Cons
THE WAY WORK IS TO BE DONE PER DEPARTMENT
Good for highly competitive people.
Volunteer Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
I was expecting more from JHU. It's not so especial, besides its name. Productive people with lack of cooperation skills.
Pros
Free lunches. Professional co-workers.
Cons
Poor balance life/work. Lack or cooperation between colleagues
It is a chanllenging place to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2016
I did this intern several years in the school of medicine. The work is redundant and dull, but it is very challenging at the same time. I worked in the lab department, and the colleagues are very smart and easy-going. Overall, I like the working environment there.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
long work
They company does care about their employees
Contract/Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  11100 Johns Hopkins Rd, Laurel, MD 20723June 17, 2016
JHU was a fund, open, energetic and creative environment and made a big difference in the overall atmosphere of a company.
Pros
Great work environment, everyone is pleasant to work with and be around.
Cons
No room for growth or advancement
productive and fun work environment
Lead Testing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Testing was made easy with great training staff. Once we got out on the school site for testing, the school principal and participating teacher was very accommodating to our needs. When we had questions for administering the test, our supervisor was always accessible by email or phone. Our pay was always received on time. Each year we worked on ways to make the program easier.
Pros
pay, communication, training, work environment
Cons
group members work pace
Good place to do biomedical research
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 13, 2016
I am currently a postdoc fellow in the Department of Oncology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The school provides enriched environment for biomedical research and has great mentors and programs.
I work in a very busy GI specialty office
Medical Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 7, 2016
my job involves coordination of care for high volume of patients. We use EPIC as the patient database. Co-workers are Great. I now have an in depth knowledge of Gastroenterology and mostly work electronically and/or over the phone. nice supervisor. Watch out for the office politics!
Pros
free coffee, my own office
Cons
office politics can easily ruin the day
Excellent work environment
Senior Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for Johns Hopkins. They have a great work culture and there is opportunity for advancement. My co-workers were great to work with and my job entailed working with children, which I very much liked. The experience was great!
Pros
Working with capable people
Cons
I wouldn't recommend Johns Hopkins for non clinical staff.
Patient Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
From my experience, there is a lack of professionalism and fairness amongst some of the leadership. In addition, it is not easy to grow there despite the vastness of the facility.
Love the Job, not a fan of Management
Ophthalmic Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2016
I enjoy working here, love my co-workers and the actual job itself is stimulating. My management team is terrible which makes work difficult sometimes. This is a high volume, fast place with constant challenges.
Pros
Amazing Benifits
Cons
Poor Management
Fun, fun, fun
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2016
I loved working here. The staff were very helpful and assisted me with anything I needed. I loved working in the community with neighborhood organizers and local radio stations.
Pros
Health insurance, benefits, salary
Cons
Project ended to soon
Learned a great deal of things while working here at Johns Hopkins
Record Assistance Clerk/Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 9, 2016
Working here at Hopkins gave me the opportunity to learn new and exciting things. I am always a type of person to excel in what I am doing and Johns Hopkins University allow me to excel. Management team in my department is great. I work alone without management because they trust me so well, where as I do not need management constantly looking at my work. I rec'd all kinds of gifts and letters from other personal for my helping them with a situation.
Pros
Great healthcare, great benefits
Cons
My cons about working here is my pay salary

Johns Hopkins University Reviews by Location