Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Premier research institution acts like it
Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 15, 2017
It's just another big company, but with a better mission. Benefits are good, allows for decent work/life balance. Sometimes you feel like you're just a wheel in a cog, though.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 14, 2017
Johns Hopkins has a great team environment. Everyone is very supportive. We discuss work and share our expertise. Many advanced scientific instruments are also shared, which makes life a lot easier.
Great benefits!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 9, 2017
It is hard for me to explain much in reference to my job because I have been made a VERY personal assistant, instead of an administrative coordinator! However, the benefits are great.
Great university
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 7, 2017
Lovely university, smart people, beautiful campus. Gets bad reviews about safety but it's perfectly safe to work there. I miss it and if I still lived in MD i would continue to work there.
Great place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 4, 2017
wonderful place to work at , I would honestly recommend anyone especially student to work in the various departments they have at the hospital or school .
Good place to work excellent benefits
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 4, 2017
Enjoyed working there people are wonderful. I worked with the students in helping with move-in and move-out. Campus friendly atmosphere. Assisted students with lock outs and dorm issues. Answered call from parents and students.
Benefits
Cons
food
Internship
Summer Internship- Full Time (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 3, 2017
I only worked here for an internship after my final year of highschool. I found the experience as a pretty good way to getting started into the workforce.
Stressful
Electron Microscopy Technologist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2017
Hopkins felt like a big ship with no captain.

They are not in the Health Care business anymore. They have merged into the real estate business.

Johns Hopkins in def. a for profit organization that hides under a not for profit company.
Stressful
Quality Improvement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 1, 2017
A lot of work and unrealistic goals. They had budget issues so couldn't afford to hire more help. They used me until they couldn't anymore. I went above and beyond to get nothing in return.
Customer Service Corridinator
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 27, 2017
typical work day was to answer the phone calls that came into the office and dispatch the employee to that department. We would right into a log all the things that went on that day and the boss would change the stuff we put in it.
Pros
meeting nice people
Cons
not csring for when someone in the family is sick or in a car accident
Pay is not desirable
Laboratory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 25, 2017
Great work environment but the compensation is not competitive. I work in Research so I'm not familiar with the clinical side but I have heard stories that the pay scale is similar
Stepping Stone
Senior Compliance Monitoring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 24, 2017
I would not discourage anyone starting their career to apply for a job at JHU. There are plenty of entry level opportunities. Most managers/directors promote those with whom they identify.
Pros
Free Lunch, flexible schedule
Cons
Favoritism, Limited diversity, Few opportunities for advancement, weak managers
Not organized
HIV Outreach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 18, 2017
Very busy work environment. It lacks professionalism and structure. Support services are lacking. There is room for advancement but you'll end up with the same lack of professionalism.
Excellent Research University
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 17, 2017
I learned various skills including major knowledge, communication, teamwork and presentation. I took courses from both mechanical engineering department and materials science and engineering department and learned fundamentals in structure, characterization, solid mechanics and deformation. Collaborating with colleagues in our group as well as collaborators from other institutes, I was trained to achieve common task in team work and to deepen understanding via effective communication. Also, various experience in seminars, meetings and conferences help me a lot improve presentation skills.
Pros
Open environment in learning, communication, collaboration and development
Fun Place to Work
SENIOR BUDGET PLANNING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 10, 2017
Johns Hopkins is a great place to work. Employee Development and higher education is encouraged. The work/life balance is great. I was able to work with easy while obtaining my MBA. Employee compensation is its major downfall.
Busy work place,meeting people from other countries.
nutrition technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 9, 2017
Need a better retirement plan . Teach enployees how to prepare for it. That all departments should have information to attend events, seminars and lectures.
Plenty of opportunity
Sr. Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21205June 26, 2017
JHU offers a wide variety of opportunities for advancement. Their benefit package is very generous. Management allows for needed flexibility in order to maintain a healthy home/work life balance.
Pros
career opportunities
Cons
competitive
its okay
Community Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 20, 2017
Looking up events, connecting people to PrEP. Finding outreach opportunities , creating your own opportunities.Know your HIV information and be understanding.
beautiful opportunity to learn
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Johns Hopkins HospitalJune 20, 2017
iv placement,ekgs,blood draws, hardest part of the job watching patients deal with cancer, seeing some of the patients get well and get to go home,there isn't a lot of respect for technicians from higher up
Office Politics
Clinical Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 20, 2017
Not many advancement opportunities. Best way to get hired is to know someone if you're interested in an administrative position and who you know dictates your standing when you're hired. Promotions are typically a result of favoritism and leadership roles open up infrequently.