Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Extremely fast paced environment with difficult hours and lack of supportive staff
PNP (Current Employee) –  Pediatric OrthopedicsMarch 13, 2012
Since JHU is a teaching organization, their focus is on teaching, and therefore lacks success in patient satisfaction, and ultimately employee satisfaction. Although they are the "leading hospital" in the nation, and they are able to offer amazing learning opportunities for all disciplines, they overwork and underpay their employees. As a dedicated employee, I did not feel a sense of appreciation from the attending physicians for all of my hard work and effort. Furthermore, the administrative side of the facility is completely focused on productivity and do not demonstrate respect for the personal lives of their employees. It is an extremely difficult and competitive environment and is structured for rotating resident physicians. Due to this set-up, there is an enormous amount of pressure on the mid-level providers to facilitate the smooth operation of patient care. On many occasions, I was put in the position where I was expected to fulfill duties that were out of my scope of practice as a primary care certified NP. At JHU, they are not mindful of the certification limitations that exist among primary care mid-levels and thus expect the work to get done, regardless of how it is completed. In summary, my rationale for leaving was for all of these reasons: the lack of appreciation and support from the providers, the long work hours and low pay, the poor communication among the medical teams that often compromised patient care, and for the protection of my license.
Pros
great learning experience, reputation of jhh
Cons
lack of staff support

Comment – May 2, 2013

I worked in research for Orthopaedics, and this review is very accurate and maybe even a little generous for that department. While the administration may appear focused on productivity, they are hypocritical in that they create policies that directly interfere with productivity because they do not understand the scope of everyone's positions. They also bend over for certain physicians and their staff while treating other physicians like they are a step above a hot dog vendor. At the same time, they treat PhD's as though they are assistants to the MD's instead of colleagues. If they treat the employees in the higher ranks this way, imagine how they treat support staff. It's not pretty. If you want to enter feeling like you have gained recognition for all your accomplishments and then leave feeling demoralized and demeaned, this is the place for you. I wouldn't recommend working here to even my worst enemy.

World famouse university
Research Technologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2014
My typical day at work starts around 9 am. Usually it's very busy. As research technologist i'm responsible for many things. Basically i'm caretaker with my own research projects. My lab is not that big, but we work really hard, that's why we almost always run out of some supplies. So I have to monitor inventory every other day. If you have 20 boxes and no room for it I definitely can do something. I communicate with sale persons and maintain order in the lab space. One of my duties is preparation of culture mediums and feeder cells for all members of my lab. After I'm done with lab stuff i do my own experiments. For last year i was doing screening of compounds library. As result of this screening we identified small molecules which induce direct conversion of fibroblast to neural crest stem cells. In the same time I made several reporter lines based on iPSc lines using CRISPR system. also once per couple month i hold a presentation on lab meeting.
I really do enjoy and appreciate my work in Johns Hopkins University. I have learnt a lot about high impact scintific work from cell culture to collect data for publishing.
Cons
no holidays and weekends
My experience at Johns Hopkins University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 9, 2012
A typical day at work for me would start at 8 am. The first thing I would do is to check if the major lab equipment was working properly. Afterwards I would start my kinetic experiments by first calibrating the instrument and then preparing the solutions required for the experiments. The work day for me would end at 7 pm.
I have learned how to use various analytical instrumentation, as well as how to analyze, and interpret results that I obtained from these analytical experiments. During my typical work day I had to read primary research and apply or modify procedures found in these publications in order to satisfy the goals for my experiments. I learned how to design experiments.
The most enjoyable part of my job were the scientific discussions I had with my co-workers. I absolutely enjoyed working as a part of a team. I gained a lot of knowledge from these interactions. I had a lot of positive, very informative and educational interactions with staff members who were responsible for the different analytical instruments in the Department of Chemistry.
The hardest part of the job was the communication with management, and to be more specific, I was not satisfied with the level of mentorship that was required for scientists who just begin their professional development.
Overall the culture and values of the university are on the highest level.
Productive Workplace
INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNER EPIC (Current Employee) –  Baltimore MDApril 10, 2014
• Responsible for supporting all elements of training, planning, design, development, and implementation for designated application(s) in the EHR program
• Assists training manager with training strategy for designated application(s)
• Participates in the development of training policies and requirements for designated application(s)
• Complete the training tasks outlined in the training project plan
• Responsible for development of detailed, workflow based curriculum for designated application(s)
• Responsible for building, testing, and maintaining the training environment for designated application(s)
• Develops appropriate level of proficiency measures for training
• Deploys instructional methods based on type of learning, learner needs/preferences, and available resources
• Trains end users, super users, and additional classroom trainers on assigned applications
• Champions the project
• Provide post go-live coaching and support.
• Completes required status reports and attends required meetings
• Achieves and maintains application certification in accordance with departmental and organizational standards
• Maintains confidentiality with regards to information being processed, stored or accessed by the system.
• Designs, develops, tests and evaluates educational courseware for clinical information systems training.
• Develops and authors e-learning and blended learning programs, web-based training and asynchronous learning content.
• Develops instructional material; coordinates, writes, and edits educational content; and incorporates current technology for educators developing
  more... specific curricula.  less
Pros
great benefits
Cons
salary
Learn About Your Lab Before You Accept Job Offer
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 2, 2016
Lab tech jobs here can be nice, but it all depends on the lab you are working in. My experience was not so great. Pay is low and there is no job growth. You could get experience, but once again that depends on what lab you work in.

My boss was pretty abusive to everyone in his lab. He could not understand that I wasn't a graduate student but someone who wanted to start a career. He gave me homework, pushed me to apply to grad schools, and gave the vibe of just trying to get me out. Eventually he told me grant money ran out and I needed to find somewhere else to work. My coworkers were lovely people, but all of them left the lab. He promised me projects, then never went through with any of them. I left learning nothing and feeling horrible.

So, your lab experience may be different from mine, but it is a gamble.

Also, parking gets expensive. Homewood is a safe campus, though, and there were never many security problems.
Pros
Dental and Vision were great, Nice Coworkers
Cons
Abusive boss, No clear management, Low Pay, Health Insurance wasn't good
Absolutely horrendous place to work--pompous upper mngt
research coordinator (Current Employee) –  E. BaltimoreApril 30, 2013
I was so excited to start working for JHU but the problems surfaced almost immediately. Namely, if you are assigned to s pompous,rude PHd, they can make your life a living hell.There is zero training...you are expected to figure everything out on your own and please don't make any mistakes(they have zero tolerance for mistakes) and whatever you do don't ask for help because everyone is too overworked to help you. Every JHU employee has one common complaint...that they are terribly overworked. They expect you to do the work of six people, and if you can't keep up with the unrealistic workload ...it is your fault.
If you think of complaining about your supervisor to HR...it will be a huge waste of your time...because HR protects upper management.
Decent benefits but salary is way below industry standard. With the pathetic salary they offer parking in Balto City is costly(parking lot is 120/mo).
Good luck if you accept their offer..you will need it!!!
Pros
good 403k amd decent healthcare plan
Cons
pompous upper management, zero training, extremely heavy workload
Solid Place To Work
Manager, Software Development (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 11, 2015
JHU is a big place with lots of different divisions. It is very balkanized so your mileage may vary.

However, I very much enjoyed working at Johns Hopkins. Most of the people that I had to work with were competent (mostly tech people up at Mount Washington) and friendly.

Management can feel pretty rigid and is very formal but they do care and try to offer support and opportunity for growth. Hierarchy means a lot. I have heard horror stories about faculty members berating staff but I have not experienced or witnessed that.

The pay is a little bit low but it is offset by other benefits (e.g. 4% or 8% into a retirement account for you -- no match required, 1/2 Hopkins Tuition for college age students to attend other accredited schools, etc).
Pros
ok tuition benefit, flexible schedule, nice retirement benefit, great child tuition benefit
Cons
pay is on lower side, very small raises (2% max in a good year)
JHU/APL was the most interesting and enjoyable job I've ever had.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDFebruary 14, 2015
The Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory was an excellent company to work for. I learned a lot of new skills and enjoyed working as a team to prepare for new programs such as the space launches in Cape Canaveral, FL. I was always treated well and felt totally respected at all times. The managers genuinely cared about you as a person whether it was work related or personal. They always had an open door policy and you felt comfortable going to their office and talking to them. The co-workers were always friendly and ready to jump in and help if need be.The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to go to Florida to set up office and watch our spacecraft everyone worked so hard on launched into space. The job was very rewarding.
Pros
got to do things many people never dream of.
Cons
none come to mind except the fact they had to down size during difficult times.
Productive workplace that proved my true strengths
Research Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2012
I worked for a program called TRANSITIONS TO YOUNG ADULTHOOD and with this program, it was my responsibility to contact individuals who were a part of the longitudinal study (over twenty years prior) and set up computerized interviews to see how the program had effected them over the years.

When reading the mission statement of the program and in interviewing the individuals, many of the findings were quite interesting.

Management was pretty understanding and I didn't have any co-workers. I was the only interviewer during my time with the program.

There were a few difficult parts of this job. I had difficulty finding or contacting the individuals. Several of them were imprisoned, deceased, or they had relocated. I had contact information for relatives and friends, but some of them were skeptical, so it really became a true chore trying to locate people. Another difficult part of the job was trying to get the individuals to consent to the interview. I was successful with many, but several were not interested.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the many people and hearing their stories. Once I met them, they were very comfortable with me. I'm glad to know that I have that affect on others.
Program that has a large outreach to the Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania area
Odyssey Registrar (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandNovember 9, 2014
* A typical work days includes registering participants for non-credit
liberal arts programs. Customer service is a large part of my job
also.
* This job has taught me that life not only continues when you
retire, but you actually thrive and take more opportunities to learn
for personal enrichment.
* I am responsible for student workers who assist Instructors with
classroom and one-on-one setup.
* This organization has a small staff, but we are all very hands
on with production of creating a successful work environment.
* The most challenging part of my job is assisting potential students
who may not have the income to afford program costs and trying
to work with them, so that they are able to enroll in classes.
* The most rewarding part of my job, is when students comment on
their experience with this program. I feel I am the first contact with
students and I have an influence for either a positive or negative
outcome.
Pros
customer service, hands on set-up
Cons
limited web based outlook
Customer Service, Professors all great, loved working there JHUSOM
Administrative Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 10, 2013
Possibility of getting back in. Currently Applying.

Taking care of volunteers for studies. Interview, meeting criteria. Explaining what our Study is all about. Why it would be beneficial for this client.

People are wonderful beings. All they need is attention and helped when needed. I love helping.

Co-workers were wonderful. Always care and communication with each other.

Hardest Part: Having your position eliminated. 32 yrs of services and then...

Helping out, could be telephones, directions through Hospital, Department, etc...
Pros
benifits, paid vacations, meeting people, free parking, lunches with everyone, celebrating on grants, .
Cons
doing others duties, being excuded when hard work has be completed / arrangments made -higher level person gets kodos, evaluations greater, free vacation, day shortend -i work hard and get meets expetitions, stay to close.
Take the good with the bad...
Academic Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 3, 2013
Johns Hopkins University, especially their School of Medicine, is an exceptional institution. There is a level of prestige attached to that name that not many institutions can surpass. There are boundless opportunities to interact and collaborate with experts in their fields. There is no shortage of brilliance. However, management is completely detached from the actual operations of the institution. It is an incredibly decentralized place, and while that provides a great level of autonomy to those who thrive in that environment, good work and great employees are rarely recognized. The only reward for hard work is more work, usually the work that should be done by one's superiors. Delegation is one thing, dumping on the employees is quite another. More must be done to identify and reward high achieving employees. Additionally, the culture of "passing the buck" has certainly become overwhelming. Management must be held accountable for the performance of the divisions, departments and teams.
Pros
resources, research environment; benefits
Cons
cutthroat and unethical environment; poor management/leadership; lack of advancement opportunities
Collaborative Prestigious Researchers
Senior Community Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 27, 2015
Had a privilege to be apart of an esteem team of Epidemiologist, Statisticians, CDC representatives, Epistemology, and Pediatricians who developed a public health campaign lowering the HIV epidemic in Baltimore City. My specific role was to represent this campaign as a Sr Community Specialist. Conducting interventions using algorithms put in place by combining advice from New York's and Washington D.C Detailing Model. Intervention contained (Campaign introduction, survey for Physician and Office manager, ending in action kit presentation). The rewarding part of the job was knowing your impact when dropping off HIV action kit set off a ligand signaling catastrophic cycle of events starting from educating physicians in HIV counseling all the way to retaining infected patients lost in care.
Pros
Weekly Research Rounds
Cons
Less involved in the research aspect....number analysis, researching, etc. Public Health Politics in funding and outreach support
Great atmosphere and great people to work with
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2015
Begins with a meeting with lab PI and other associates regarding certain projects, grants, and assignments that need to be reviewed/completed. The amount I learned from working with this lab surpasses any research I have done thus far in my career ranging from animal handling, to techniques and problem solving skills applicable to molecular biology. The management team provided the leadership and tools necessary in order for myself and other co-workers to succeed. The hardest part of this job really had nothing to do with the job itself; however, the hardest part was navigating through Baltimore City and the large Hopkins campus. The most enjoyable portion of the job definitely included the atmosphere, which was not only the result of being in a large city, but also working with wonderful people who genuinely have drive and passion for what they do.
Pros
everything is close to everything else, geographically
Cons
pay for limited parking time, all the time
Fine large employer
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 19, 2013
In my job as Administrator of the JHU Department of Biomedical Engineering I manage the resources of the department across boundaries of the University. My department sits within two schools of the University, which creates interesting synergy, but can be an impediment and challenge when the strategic goals of the schools are not in concert.

I currently report to the Department Chair and two sets of senior managers at JHU, one in each school. Every day of my job is different. But commonly on a daily basis, I meet with several of my employees on current projects, assist department faculty and students on various special issues, and work on my own projects in coordination with the Chair. I am a very hands-on manager and I enjoy working alongside my staff on executing the mission of my department.

The work environment is friendly and collegial. There is a good work/life balance with work from home/work remotely opportunities. The University is improving in providing opportunities for employees to explore professional and personal development opportunities through training.
Pros
tuition benefit for employees and dependents, work/life balance
Cons
reorganizing/restructuring
Lack of room to grow poor management great location
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2012
A typical work day will very from day to day . A self starter a must. Lots to learn working in an international enviorment. There is always quest speakers and dignitary's from all over the world very interesting. Such as Wolf Blitzer, Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama,and tons more. Management was the best a few years ago it has now changed and not for the best. The hardest part of my job was saying so long or good bye to our graduates most of them would go home to their countries. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting my work load out on time meeting my deadlines and balancing my books, meeting, greeting the new students and their familuies.
Pros
a few free lunches being able to set in on the speakers speaches
Cons
short breaks, health care and i had parking in the back of the building
Ping Pong table
Budget Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 23, 2012
My day at work was busy. I enjoy the opportunity to help the other. The job was challenging, and keep me on my feet every day. While, working at Johns Hopkins University: I was an asset to both the patients and department.

The most important thing I leaned in working for Johns Hopkins University, is you never know when you will be replaced. The hospital offer great compensation, and benefits. But, it can be hard to advance, and the mangers can sometime be harsh to their employees, they are quick to let you know if you don't like their rules you can leave. Some co-workers can be untactful, unlikely to assist others, unless it benefit them, The hardest part of my job was the large volume of work, and no help to aid you.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was the ability to help others, my job also allowed me to use all my skills, knowledge, and to increase my knowledge through professional development.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
over work added on employees
diverse co workers
Research Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
Usual 9-5 . Wish SOM used more Work life offers. Some jobs really could be done from home or with more flexible hours. You will find some days you are jus milking the clock and other days you cant catch a breath. Management is pretty nice. they all support the pursuit of higher education and they offer tuition reimbursement. A good starter company and a good place if you know exactly what you want to do. Lots of internal administration positions. not exactly the best place for growth and promotion. That's a role of the dice. People do stay here till they die or finally decide to retire out of a position... Also , ur off when the school is out for school days.
Pros
network, unique events, over all great benefits
Cons
same 9-5, 401k dont match till ur 35
Good, secure job with slow career advancement.
Sr. Research Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 20, 2013
I handle the financial and administrative aspects of sponsored and non-sponsored research grants for the Biomedical Engineering Department in the School of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University.

The job has afforded me the opportunity for entry level work with finance to grow into a senior level employee (over 5 years) and serve as sr. staff for 2 years, but that promotion was awarded internally, and room for advancement can become difficult at such a large institution when your department has no openings and intradepartmental canidates have first opportunity at a job posted outside of your department.

It is an enjoyable job for the fact that I like the people I work with and for, and they are people trying to make a better tomorrow for you and I by use of advancing science research. It is nice to be a part of something look to provide a positive impact on society.
Productive and great learning environment
Software IT Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  9910 Franklin Square Drive, Nottingham MD, 21236October 9, 2013
My typical day may initially begin with dealing with user issues and putting out work related fires or solving remedial problems.

I then may work on new Projects that have been delivered to me or interact with team members on various complex system issues that require a meeting of the minds.

My co workers are fantastic and always lend insight into each others tasks.

The hardest part of my job is explaining to upper management various needs or getting definitive answers.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the wonderful Colleagues I'm assosciated with who will bend over backwards to assist with several isues we have on a dat to dauy basis just to get the job done.
Pros
great atmosphere, intelligent colleagues
Cons
not enough promotion from within.