Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Pleasant,safe,and informative
Medical Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 2, 2017
reporting in at least 20 minutes early to prepare for the workday. For example, checking company emails for news or any direct instructions from co-workers. Proceed with assigned duties. Attend once a week informative meetings. Working together as a team at all times. The hardest part only occurs when additional personnel is needed. When all is accomplished by the end of the day, makes the workday enjoyable
Pros
Weekly meetings to ensure everyone is on the same page
Cons
Under constant supervision
Outstanding school to work for, friendly and diversified
DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 30, 2016
a typical day at work is BUSY
took advantage of computer classes which advanced my skills for example in MS Office software.
Management and Co-workers are friendly
the hardest part of the job is meeting back to back deadlines
the most enjoyable part of the job was taking advantage of the free day and evening classes offered.
Pros
On the job training available, company paid classes
Cons
Multiple deadlines to meet weekly can be time consuming
Wonderful workplace.
Medical Secretary/Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 16, 2017
Working at this hospital was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I learned how to be fast paced and not only did I work with fellow employees, I supervised several of them as well. Learning how to be humble was one of the greatest tasks I achieved. I will always take what I had learned at this job with me to wherever I may be employed,
There is a reason why this is the #1 Hospital in the country
Clinic Coordinator/Division of Rheumatology (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 7, 2016
I really loved my time at JHU. Truly second to none when it comes to leadership and working with everyone. Although I was a low level administrative person, no one ever made me feel inferior even though these are the best doctors in the world.

The physicians made all of us feel comfortable even letting us called them by there first name. This made you go above and beyond for them. This really was a team environment.

Sadly I moved back home to NY, I will always regret it, because I forgot how bad the culture is in NYC hospitals. Wish I can go back to JHU.
friendly work place
Medical Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lutherville, MDFebruary 4, 2017
Services provided for the Clients were awesome. Sometimes management was sure of the direction of the company made things confusing at times. Once they like you in a position they make it impossible for you to advance on to another position. They like to keep you in the same department.
Pros
great people
Cons
leadership decision making
Stable place to work
Academic Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21205December 28, 2016
Hopkins is a good place to work if you want to work for a large company with room to move around and keep your benefits. There are several options for health care along with other benefits such as dental, eye care, life insurance, tuition grants, long and short term disability, The downside is parking.
Pros
benefits, room to advance
Cons
parking
productive placeto work
Clinical Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 27, 2017
I really enjoyed being apart of this wonderful company very busy, fast place work environment always motivated me to push harder and always was room to grow, friendly hard working staff the most enjoyable things where making the patient feel at comfortable with ever visit on a day to day basis .
Independent field work in clinical research
Regional Research Associate, New Jersey liaison (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 7, 2016
I conducted lengthy interviews and evaluations of new mothers and their infants. I enjoyed the interaction with different people each day and learned a lot about people of different cultural backgrounds, as I got to know the clients. The hardest part was coordinating the clients' schedules to fit into my work schedule, but I always made it work, even if I had to work late or on weekends.
Pros
independent work, varied work environment
Most enjoyable
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job are the students. Seeing them transform from teens to adults. I really enjoy helping them to navigate life especially since for most of them, this is their first time away from home. I try to help them have a balance between school and life, to make sure they stop to smell the daises.
JHU-School of Medicine
Registration C (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 29, 2016
Work environment is horrible. Management doesn't care about employees. Human Resources isn't any better. Bullying is a large part of the office environment. There is a blame game.

The company is not what it appears to be. Yes, the School of Medicine is the forth top medical school in the world; however, respect is lacking in all areas.

JHU is behind the times with technology. Collaboration between the schools within Hopkins isn't heard of. There isn't room for individuality.

Benefits are not that great. Benefits with the state are better.

Johns Hopkins University will work employees like a dog. Training is very limited.

When considering a job a jhu ask, what happened with the person previously in the position. Also. Ask about the work environment. Ask how management deals with bullying.

Good luck if you choose a job with jhu
Pros
Some co workers are great
Cons
Pay, management, hr, workload, training
Patient-centered care
NURSE PRACTITIONER (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2016
I enjoy the improvement of overall health and chronic disease management, and room for personal growth and an advance practice provider. The benefit package is stellar. The ability to care for patients at a hospital that implements evidence-based practice is also important.
Good workplace with excellent benefits
Research Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 26, 2017
Hopkins is a great place to work. The benefits are great, the pay is good. There is a good shuttle system and excellent facilities. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Great Facilities and benefits
Cons
Not the best salaries
Didn't go to school for this.
Endovascular PA (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2016
I primarily do orders, attend clinic, fill prescriptions, call patients, give pre op, post op instructions. Assist with suture removal, staple removal and intra op procedures for two neurosurgeons at JHH and Bayview medical centers. Cerebral angiograma and cerebral embolization procedures.
Benefits
Cons
not enough hands on procedures, more adminstrative
Lab Life
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 11, 2016
I love my lab, my coworkers are great but the job is very stressful and the pay is pretty low. The day is pretty relaxed as far as timing goes but expect to stay late sometimes and come in early other times.
Pros
Fantastic coworkers
Cons
Low pay and resistance from HR when my supervisor tried to give me a raise.
Good benefits
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2016
Working with Directors and other faculty has given me the opportunity to expand my network and has allowed me to grow my skill set in many different was. I appreciate many of relationships that I have formed with many of my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is the overall atmosphere and culture of my office.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work atmosphere and culture
TA for six weeks.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 17, 2016
I was a TA for two three week sessions, TAing for Advanced Robotics in the first session and for Electrical Engineering in the second session.

The time commitment is greater than full time.
Pros
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Included, Room Included
Great Place to study
Student (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 26, 2016
Great Place to study. Well rounded environment fit for professionals. I learned a lot of stuff here. Myco-workers were also very nice. The hardest part is the studying. The most enjoyable part is the fun environment which ypu get.
A great place to work
Laboratory Manager/ Research Technologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2016
I enjoyed working here. It's a great work atmosphere and they encourage acquiring new knowledge through workshops and seminars. The most enjoyable part of working here is getting publications.
Great experience with basic sciences technology.
RESEARCH SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 3, 2017
Great scientific work exposure. Enjoyed learning and doing the experiments and literature search to make the bench work successful and fulfilling.
Challenging and rewarding
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 7, 2017
Johns Hopkins is one of the best schools in the country. The engineering program gave me the skills necessary to be successful when tackling real engineering challenges.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johns Hopkins University. Our community is ready to answer.

93%