Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

This is the best job that I've ever head!
Quality Assurance Specialist - Core Services (Current Employee), Nottingham, MDJune 26, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, good management, stress free environment.
Cons: pay
JHU is a wonderful environment that offers flexibility, learning and great management. If you're a student, this is a good place to be. No stress and they offer so much to the employees.
Postdoctoral research fellow (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 25, 2015
Productive and fun workplace with a lot of discussion with a great diversity of research areas is the Johns Hopkins University that manage a good mix of experts in science as well as in staff. The most enjoyable part of my job is to have the broadest range of scientific experts as collaborators and colleagues.
CTY
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), balt mdJune 17, 2015
Awesome program for kids. Very engaging with youth. A lot of people have been there for a long time and are not accepting to change.
Solid Place To Work
Manager, Software Development (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 11, 2015
Pros: ok tuition benefit, flexible schedule, nice retirement benefit, great child tuition benefit
Cons: pay is on lower side, very small raises (2% max in a good year)
JHU is a big place with lots of different divisions. It is very balkanized so your mileage may vary.

However, I very much enjoyed working at Johns Hopkins. Most of the people that I had to work with were competent (mostly tech people up at Mount Washington) and friendly.

Management can feel pretty rigid and is very formal but they do care and try to offer support and opportunity for growth. Hierarchy means a lot. I have heard horror stories about faculty members berating staff but I have not experienced or witnessed that.

The pay is a little bit low but it is offset by other benefits (e.g. 4% or 8% into a retirement account for you -- no match required, 1/2 Hopkins Tuition for college age students to attend other accredited schools, etc).
Work Life Balance
Strategic Planning Summer Intern (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 11, 2015
- Good working environment
- Nice people
- Career growth
- Good training
- the most part of the job is the everyone is trying to help and the colleagues are always there to help.
Great atmosphere and great people to work with
Researcher (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2015
Pros: everything is close to everything else, geographically
Cons: pay for limited parking time, all the time
Begins with a meeting with lab PI and other associates regarding certain projects, grants, and assignments that need to be reviewed/completed. The amount I learned from working with this lab surpasses any research I have done thus far in my career ranging from animal handling, to techniques and problem solving skills applicable to molecular biology. The management team provided the leadership and tools necessary in order for myself and other co-workers to succeed. The hardest part of this job really had nothing to do with the job itself; however, the hardest part was navigating through Baltimore City and the large Hopkins campus. The most enjoyable portion of the job definitely included the atmosphere, which was not only the result of being in a large city, but also working with wonderful people who genuinely have drive and passion for what they do.
a good place to workd
Laboratory Technician II (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 2, 2015
Great benefits but pay could be better. Great atmosphere. It is definitely a place for room for growth depending on your department.
Great company to work for
Sr. Provider Relations Coordinator (Current Employee), Glen Burnie, MDMay 31, 2015
Great company to work, learn and grow in your profession. Co-workers are pleasant to work with , management is very supportive and informative. The work day is filled with an opportunity to help others and bring resolutions.
Great Institution
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2015
Pros: Prestige and resources.
Cons: Limited career advancement within the institution.
The Johns Hopkins University is a great place to work on scientific research. I had access to discussions and feedback and the opportunity to work with world renowned professors and scientists. Great collaborative projects with NASA and The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.
Most employees do not have accounting degrees
Sponsored Projects Accountant II (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2015
Expected more accounting functions. Many employees as well as management do have degrees but not in accounting. Overall the company is a great company to work for.
Productive Environment
Clinic Manager - Gastroenterology/Hepatalogy (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 13, 2015
Pros: Ability to serve sick patients
I am honored to be apart of a world renowned organization who service patients in every area of need. I have the pleasure of supporting physicians who have been noted as the best in the country.
Excellent Place to Work
Assistant Custodial Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 9, 2015
Pros: People, environment.
Cons: Lack of advancement in my career field.
Great surroundings and the academic atmosphere was inspiring. I learned to deal with difficult situations and resolve them. I liked the professional attitude of the University Staff. Great Experience to have known and worked with people.
Not friendly
One Staff Medical (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 6, 2015
Pros: knowledge based
Cons: crime in area
This is not the best environment to work in. People are not friendly. Too much crime in the area. Not enough security to protect your safety. Had to park a mile from my job area.
Very good tuition plan, was allowed to take courses at a discounted rate.
Secretary (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 5, 2015
Pros: Discounted tuition for some courses, beautiful campus.
Cons: None !
Nothing bad to say. Wish I could have worked there longer than I did. Loved the time I spent working there. The historical buildings are rich with culture and you can almost hear Johns Hopkins himself as you walk through the older parts of the buildings. The best job ever had !
A typical day at work was great working with the patients.
Senior Medical Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 27, 2015
Pros: Helping the customers and benefits
Cons: Not being apprciated
A typical work day required you to be compassionate and patient. I worked as a Sr. Medical Office Coordinator for a Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon. Provided administrative assistance.
Great Learning Instituition
HR Services Representative (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 23, 2015
Pros: tuition & holidays
A fast paced environment that provides learning opportunities within your daily routine workload. Supports a diverse employee group composed over 40,000 with guidance and training on various systems, employee, benefits and payroll issues.
JHU is an exemplary employer
Sr. Financial Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 22, 2015
JHU has many opportunities for employees interested in career advancement. Benefits are outstanding; and the HR offices are extremely helpful to assist employees with worklife balance.
N/A
Student Affairs, Office of the Registrar (Current Employee), Baltimore, MdApril 21, 2015
Great place to work in terms of benefits, but limited opportunity for growth. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a team environment.
Great Staff at JHU, management leaves something to be desired
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 20, 2015
I learned much during my time at Hopkins, mainly that the people I worked with were amazing and brilliant and very good astute teachers. The other thing that I learned is that management has no desire to support and encourage young investigators and that is very unfortunate.
medical school is very unfair to PhDs
Post-Doc (Current Employee), MDApril 17, 2015
Pros: there are some really great scientists at JHU
Cons: If you are PhD and you want to become an assist professor, you are not allowed to in medical school
If you are a productive PhD and you tell the truth, you will be penalized and punished.
If you are a MD fellow that practically produces zero data in the basic research setting, aka, laboratory and the boss likes you, you get a pass for not being productive and you are compensated.

PhDs are used as cheap labor to develop and produce data, that then MDs will use for their own benefit.

1 2 3 4 5

About Johns Hopkins University

Founded in 1876 with a $7 million bequest from its namesake, The Johns Hopkins University established its reputation from the – Read more

Johns Hopkins University Salaries

$15.33 per hour
Program Assistant
$13.50 per hour

Johns Hopkins University Photos

Student Ambassadors preparing for an attendance and behavior celebration for the student body.