Johnson & Wales University

Johnson & Wales University Employer Reviews

n/a
Work Study Student (Former Employee), Denver, COJuly 30, 2014
I was a work/study student. I assisted the head of the HR dept. for the college in delivering paychecks to students, faculty, and staff.
Simple
Work Study Student (Former Employee), North Miami, FLJuly 2, 2014
Pros: time to work on homework and get paid.
Cons: having people yell at you for something that you cannot fix and have to get maintenance involved.
I worked at the front desk of the dorm building that I was assigned to and checked students and guests in and out of the building making sure no one was there who wasn't suppose to be there.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when there was absolutely no one going in or out of the dorms.
Enjoyed My Job
Student Financial Services Assistant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 27, 2014
I will miss it. On a typical day I helped student establish financial aid related questions. My co-workers were very supportive.
work study position
Retail/ Lost Prevention/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Providence, RIJune 16, 2014
Pros: assigned no application process required
Cons: unable to study at this work study job
an hour work study position. Assigned to watch security cameras
Student Affairs at its best
Residence Director (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 30, 2014
I had great co-workers and great students who I loved working with.
Working in Johnson & Wales University as a Technical Support Assistant, it is Interesting but not challenging enough.
Technical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Providence, RIApril 22, 2014
On a typical day, I have the honor to help different students but also faculties who encounter technical difficulties with my knowledge in computers and other technology products. Despite there was not any proper training given, I was able to communicate and learn from my co-workers in order to obtain a better understanding on the job but also start – more... bonding with them for healthier working environment. As far as the hardest part of the job, I would say that it is communicating with different department within the campus and find a most suitable solution once incident happens. For example, I was out for an onsite field support in a night class where the professor encounter a computer hardware failure, it was diagnosed as internal hard drive corruption. Since my manager has left work already but also she was unable to pick up the phone and I do not want to keep the class waiting, I contacted the graduate school office and request a change of classroom. As a result, that class has been relocated within 10 minutes. Then I filed a report about this incident after it has been handled. It is hard to find the balance between how to react to an emergency incident and what should be done first in order to solve the problem. On the other hand, the most enjoyable part would be that during the non-peak hours, my co-worker and I get to work on our homework and concentrate on the studies. This helps us to maintain our study progress. – less
Student Assistance at JWU
Student Assistant (Current Employee), Denver, COApril 17, 2014
Generally a lack of scheduling and communication led to a less than desirable outcome in most events.
Awesome University to work for
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 11, 2014
Pros: rewarding work
Cons: can have a lot of travel which can make it difficult for a young family.
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with Johnson & Wales University. Students and former colleagues still communicate with me to this day because it was just simply the culture of JWU.
Work-study
Student Employee (Former Employee), North Miami, FLMarch 3, 2014
Pros: great employees and work environment
Cons: drama
Working here was great experience and it showed me how an office should function. I was working in the Student Academics offices as a Student Employee and it was AWESOME, there was drama with some many women working in the tiny office space but I spent most of my days in the file room as there was always something to do there.
Special Assistant to President
Special Assistant to the President (Former Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 23, 2014
A culture of cooperation and responsibility permeated the culture typical of an academic institution. I learned how to lead from behind, and to work with people at all different levels of life.

The hardest, and most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with parents and students. Problems could be difficult to resolve, and at times not resolvable due – more... to regulations/policies, etc. Finding creative ways to help whenever possible was fulfilling. Helping the constituents to understand why some demands couldn't be met, and finding other means of satisfying their concerns was challenging. Through the years, I was able to become involved in the lives of many students, and created an atmosphere where they felt they had a caring individual on campus who would support and advise them throughout their years with the university.

This was the best job I ever had. Unfortunately, upon the retirement of the Campus President, with whom I had worked for more than a decade, my position was eliminated. – less
Hectic yet enjoyable work atmosphere
Head Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 11, 2014
While working on my education, I have been an active Resident Assistant for three years and am currently a Head Resident Assistant managing over 400 students and 9 staff members. In this capacity I have been able to work with a multitude of people with different personalities and work styles. Due to this I have been able to garner a very adaptable work – more... ethic from a slow and intricate pace to a fast and upbeat pace. – less
Great job for college graduate.
Residence Director (Former Employee), Providence RIFebruary 5, 2014
Had an amazing time while I was there but it was time for me to move on. Learned a lot and was provided with great opportunities and experiences.
This was a work-study job (no big deal)
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee), North Miami, FLJanuary 31, 2014
*You can earn some money while in school
*The tasks are usually not hard and you could hang with your friends if they came to visit you
Employed there for 10 years.
I.T. Field Services (Former Employee), Providence CampusJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: 1/2 day fridays in the summer, 2 paid weeks during the holidays.
Cons: morale is low.
I was in IT there for 10 years. The technology was great but the politics will hold you back from implementing, "The right methods." The people in IT were great until all the corporate turnover.
They made sure that their employees were taken care of.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), North Miami, FLJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: free education, meeting lots of famous chefs, tasting delicious food and students.
Cons: helping all the faculty members.
My day would start with meeting with the Dean, who was my supervisor, to discuss the priorities of the day. I was also was in charge of 24 students who would assist me in working with the faculty members as well as the Director of Operations. It was a learning environment so I was able to learn a lot about Culinary skills. The company was great to work – more... for. They were very family oriented. I loved working with the students and getting to know them as well as their background and families. The hardest part of the job was trying to make everyone happy. – less
An amazing university that enables students to learn
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 18, 2014
An average day at Johnson & Wales University involves going to labs for six hours a day or academic classes from 4-6 hours a day. I have learned an abundance of techniques in the kitchen from breads to sugars to chocolates to hot and cold desserts to plated desserts. The chefs work hard to ensure we get the most experience out of our time at school.
Relaxed and frindly office environment
Dean's Office / Engineering Dept. Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, RIDecember 12, 2013
Pros: flexible and relaxed
Learned about general office management and some office and inter-office practices and procedures. Helped the office work on interesting and fun projects that were used in classrooms and for when students came to visit and were interested in attending JWU.

Some of the office tasks were tedious, but all necessary and helpful for issues or keeping track – more... of important information. – less
Great benefits
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee), Warwick, RINovember 20, 2013
I began working as an intern through the university and was promoted to a teaching assistant and then a supervisor. The company provides great benefits to their employees.
n/a
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee), charlotteNovember 12, 2013
receive goods and purchase food products
worked with students
Great CoWorkers and Management
PATROL OFFICER (Former Employee), Providence RIOctober 30, 2013
PATROL OFFICER
• Protection of university buildings & assets as well as safety of over 10,000 students
• Completion necessary incident reports regarding narcotics, theft, vandalism, assault, and alcohol violations.
• Certification in Oleoresin Capsicum Spray (OC), Monadnock Expandable Baton, CPR, First Aid, & AED programs.
DISPATCHER
• Initiation of – more... response to calls regarding any safety or security issue on campus
• Assignment of calls for service to patrol officers and
• Maintained computerized records of all calls, incidents, and building checks made by patrol officers.
• Operated internal university databases to assist officers with investigations.
ACCESS CONTROL
• Responsible for utilizing the university’s 300+ CCTV cameras to virtually patrol the campus and report any suspicious/unusual activity to the dispatcher.
• Use of Facility Commander program to grant/deny access to secure/restricted areas on campus & setting up staff/student access rights on university identification cards. – less

1 2 3 4