Johnson Brothers Liquor Co Employee Reviews

Cool place to work
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 15, 2017
A typical day consist of pulling orders
Learned how to load and unload truck with motorized pallet jack
Management was OK
Work place culture was cool everyone got along
Hardest part was hand loading trucks
The most enjoyable was the people
Pros
Good people
Cons
Dont look out for employees
good pay but bad management
former driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 17, 2017
i worked as a driver in the las vegas branch for a little over 3 years we were understaffed so we had to deliver to up to 6-7 grocery stores a couple walmarts and 1 or 2 large liquor stores in the same day,then the GM would get angry if we couldn't make our delivery windows, the job was a hard labor job but fun at times,the warehouse guys and drivers were a fun bunch of guys to work with but the GM became a real problem and put his advancement within the company over anything else, he turned out to be a real d**k . i can't bad mouth the company because they paid us well and the 401 was great,it was just the GM that ruined the experience of working for the company for me
Pros
benefits 401k and hourly pay
Cons
workload and bad GM
Much to learn
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 9, 2017
I have learned many new things. Internal job postings are a plus. Lack of communication between management expectations and employees. New management has not taken the time to be trained on all functions.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Lack of management training
Executive leadership is in disarray…….stay away.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 3, 2017
New leadership more interested in cutting costs than servicing the customer. The company cannot currently service existing accounts properly. They will lose customers and good sales professionals due to their ineffective leadership.
Pros
Many great people still employed.
Cons
Current executive regime is short sighted and completely ineffective.
Awful place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 30, 2016
I worked there for two years. It is very stressful with very little reward. They keep the same management around for years so they feel entitled. It's an old school boys club mantality
I have excelled my skills on all levels since leaving that mess of a company.
Free alcohol is hardly worth the stress.
Pros
Cons
Low pay and very stressful
Total waste of time for anyone serious about work.
Day shift warehouse (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INNovember 13, 2016
Be prepared to be a temp for a long time. It will be a waste of your time. They think every temp that walks through the door is an idiot. You will be treated as such because you are a temp. They do not train people right. Very high turn over rate here. With that many people quitting all the time it can't be the worker. Save yourself the trouble and look at the next job. I worked there over 5 months, learned all the equipment, had good attendance, and still not hired. People there aren't happy unless they're complaining about something or somebody. They may tell you they'll hire you, but in reality they probably had no itention on hiring you in the first place.
Pros
It's a save place to work
Cons
Everything below.
Worst employer/job/company
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 28, 2016
I worked at Johnson Brothers for 3 years in MN, in that time they failed to give me my 3 annual raises, did not give me my week of vacation (which was stated in the union contact that I should be awarded) and was forced to work 12-15 hours a day. The management is garbage on every level, they care about no one but themselves and are not willing to help. Hands down the worst place I have ever worked. Only stayed as long as I did because after 3 years they match your 401k. Also the pay is no where near enough for how hard they work you.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the place
don't do it
former employee (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 14, 2016
I've worked at the johnston iowa location for years. Apparently from the reviews from other locations this is not isolated. All management is god awful, most do not even have college education. Apparently corporate does not care. Unless you know someone you will not move up at all. The only place for advancement is sales but they don't hire from within the company unless you know someone or are sleeping with management. Believe me. If you are in any position other than management or sales you are looked upon as trash and second class citizens. Pay is sub-standard, you'll get a 30-50 cent yearly raise if you are lucky.
Pros
not much
Cons
Pretty much everything, hours for many positions, pay, horrible management
Horrible
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAJuly 7, 2016
Bad management, they don't care about the workers the pay is okay but they pull a lot of B.S on you, you never know when you are gunna get out, there was times where we didn't get our lunch break till 1 am after working 8 hrs and sometimes working 19 hrs with only 3 breaks all day, the supervisor and sometimes the other workers would always be negative, people would leave early without finishing or not come to work at all, they would talk Bad about their workers, they are very biased and some of the workers would go smoke and go to the lunch area while others are working and not get in trouble for it. Would Never work for the Johnston location again. I have Never Seen so many people quit from a job before as here people come in and out more than Mc Donald's
Pros
Okay pay
Cons
Bad Management
Horbile
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 21, 2016
I worked there for 5 years and got nowhere if you don't know someone in the right spot you will not move up and they will not give you your raises unless they want to
Pros
Pay
Cons
No life outside of work and they do not care about their workers
Horrible company
On premise sales rep (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNFebruary 22, 2016
Management will back stab you and leverage personal information to hold employees back. Also, sales reps are accountable to be "always on" but do not get a company phone and must pay for data on personal device.
New Management is bad.Opertation Manager does not know how to manage an office, only warehouse side of business.
Accounts Payable/Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 14, 2015
Johnson Brothers used to be a good place to work. They cared about the employees. They recently changed Operations manager and everything changed. It became a hostile work environment.
Friendly and busy work environment.
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  KingstownDecember 3, 2015
My position as Accounts Receivable Coordinator has its daily processes along with weekly and month end. I work in a small office made up of 3 people. There are 5 mangers, 2 warehouse workers and the president in the building. I work closely with the 20 sales representatives. Because we all work in close proximity to each other, it is very important we get along. On occasion it can be a bit challenging when sales does not agree with my account decisions. I enjoy getting to know our customers and work closely with them to maintain their accounts and keep them in good standing.
Pros
I work in a lucrative industry, wine & spirits.
Cons
pay and benefits, need bigger and cleaner work environment
Training is minimal
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 5, 2015
Hours sucked! Management is new and doesn't have much knowledge of the company. Training is minimal and when you make mistakes then they will inform you on the proper way, which if you were taught the right way the first time then those mistakes could have been avoided. You are required to do a ton of work and the pay is low.
Cons
Manager has no clue of what she is doing
terrible place
driver (Former Employee) –  BismarckAugust 15, 2014
Long hours, no one will communicate, no one knows anything. No help, you are on your own. Very hard work and you put in very long hours
Pros
pay
Cons
everything
Horrible company to work for
Unidentified (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 10, 2013
Company is horrible..they do not treat their employees very well! Management does nothing except go out to breakfast, then lunch, then leave at 4:00. Their routing is a complete mess because they are not smart enough to realize that if they give drivers permanent routes, they would save time and money. Instead they send drivers on different routes each day/week (you do not know where you are going until 9:30p the night before) so you never know where you are going and it takes longer to find your stops. You cannot offer good customer service when you do not arrive on time and you do not know where a store wants their product. The Johnson's hate the union so they treat union employees like dirt! The scabs that they hired 5 years ago during a 6 months strike make more money than those drivers that have 15 years with the company! The person that stated there are plenty of opportunities must be in management because warehouse and drivers have no opportunities but to get your butt worked off every day! I worked at this company for 5 years and the best decision I made was to leave!
Pros
Cons
Everything about the job
split company
Night Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 11, 2013
was hired and began training while the supervisor was out of town on business. constantly sought feedback on job performance and was never told how I was doing
High Stress Sales Job
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 5, 2012
10-12 hour days during the "off season" 12-15 hours during October-December. Selling Wine and Liquor to s set list of accounts. If properly managed, work is stressful but enjoyable. When not managed properly it is very high stress with little reward. Best part was learning a lot about wine and spirits, getting free lunch when working with management, and above all...FREE wine and liquor.
Pros
good pay, free alcohol
Cons
long hours, not conducive to a full family life
great place for great opportunities and to move up fast at different positions
forklift operator/ order selector (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 21, 2012
It was a great place to work with great benefits. Sometimes long hours but great pay and nice people to work with.
Pros
free food and prizes
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Brothers Liquor Co. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1