Johnson Brothers Liquor Co Employee Reviews

don't do it
former employee (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 14, 2016
I've worked at the johnston iowa location for years. Apparently from the reviews from other locations this is not isolated. All management is god awful, most do not even have college education. Apparently corporate does not care. Unless you know someone you will not move up at all. The only place for advancement is sales but they don't hire from within the company unless you know someone or are sleeping with management. Believe me. If you are in any position other than management or sales you are looked upon as trash and second class citizens. Pay is sub-standard, you'll get a 30-50 cent yearly raise if you are lucky.
Pros
not much
Cons
Pretty much everything, hours for many positions, pay, horrible management
Horrible
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAJuly 7, 2016
Bad management, they don't care about the workers the pay is okay but they pull a lot of B.S on you, you never know when you are gunna get out, there was times where we didn't get our lunch break till 1 am after working 8 hrs and sometimes working 19 hrs with only 3 breaks all day, the supervisor and sometimes the other workers would always be negative, people would leave early without finishing or not come to work at all, they would talk Bad about their workers, they are very biased and some of the workers would go smoke and go to the lunch area while others are working and not get in trouble for it. Would Never work for the Johnston location again. I have Never Seen so many people quit from a job before as here people come in and out more than Mc Donald's
Pros
Okay pay
Cons
Bad Management
Horbile
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 21, 2016
I worked there for 5 years and got nowhere if you don't know someone in the right spot you will not move up and they will not give you your raises unless they want to
Pros
Pay
Cons
No life outside of work and they do not care about their workers
Horrible company
On premise sales rep (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNFebruary 22, 2016
Management will back stab you and leverage personal information to hold employees back. Also, sales reps are accountable to be "always on" but do not get a company phone and must pay for data on personal device.
New Management is bad.Opertation Manager does not know how to manage an office, only warehouse side of business.
Accounts Payable/Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 14, 2015
Johnson Brothers used to be a good place to work. They cared about the employees. They recently changed Operations manager and everything changed. It became a hostile work environment.
Friendly and busy work environment.
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  KingstownDecember 3, 2015
My position as Accounts Receivable Coordinator has its daily processes along with weekly and month end. I work in a small office made up of 3 people. There are 5 mangers, 2 warehouse workers and the president in the building. I work closely with the 20 sales representatives. Because we all work in close proximity to each other, it is very important we get along. On occasion it can be a bit challenging when sales does not agree with my account decisions. I enjoy getting to know our customers and work closely with them to maintain their accounts and keep them in good standing.
Pros
I work in a lucrative industry, wine & spirits.
Cons
pay and benefits, need bigger and cleaner work environment
Training is minimal
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 5, 2015
Hours sucked! Management is new and doesn't have much knowledge of the company. Training is minimal and when you make mistakes then they will inform you on the proper way, which if you were taught the right way the first time then those mistakes could have been avoided. You are required to do a ton of work and the pay is low.
Cons
Manager has no clue of what she is doing
terrible place
driver (Former Employee) –  BismarckAugust 15, 2014
Long hours, no one will communicate, no one knows anything. No help, you are on your own. Very hard work and you put in very long hours
Pros
pay
Cons
everything
Horrible company to work for
Unidentified (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 10, 2013
Company is horrible..they do not treat their employees very well! Management does nothing except go out to breakfast, then lunch, then leave at 4:00. Their routing is a complete mess because they are not smart enough to realize that if they give drivers permanent routes, they would save time and money. Instead they send drivers on different routes each day/week (you do not know where you are going until 9:30p the night before) so you never know where you are going and it takes longer to find your stops. You cannot offer good customer service when you do not arrive on time and you do not know where a store wants their product. The Johnson's hate the union so they treat union employees like dirt! The scabs that they hired 5 years ago during a 6 months strike make more money than those drivers that have 15 years with the company! The person that stated there are plenty of opportunities must be in management because warehouse and drivers have no opportunities but to get your butt worked off every day! I worked at this company for 5 years and the best decision I made was to leave!
Cons
everything about the job
split company
Night Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 11, 2013
was hired and began training while the supervisor was out of town on business. constantly sought feedback on job performance and was never told how I was doing
High Stress Sales Job
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 5, 2012
10-12 hour days during the "off season" 12-15 hours during October-December. Selling Wine and Liquor to s set list of accounts. If properly managed, work is stressful but enjoyable. When not managed properly it is very high stress with little reward. Best part was learning a lot about wine and spirits, getting free lunch when working with management, and above all...FREE wine and liquor.
Pros
good pay, free alcohol
Cons
long hours, not conducive to a full family life
great place for great opportunities and to move up fast at different positions
forklift operator/ order selector (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 21, 2012
It was a great place to work with great benefits. Sometimes long hours but great pay and nice people to work with.
Pros
free food and prizes
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Brothers Liquor Co. Our community is ready to answer.

1.8