Johnson C. Smith University Employee Reviews

Productive and good place to work.
Evening Library Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 8, 2017
Overall, a pleasant place to work. You can feel good about retiring at Johnson C. Smith University. The university encourages continuing education and professional development. There is regular evaluations regarding job performances. The school really wants to educate and serve students well.

The most enjoyable part of the job in my opinion is customer service.
A typical day at work consist of encouraging staff and students to keep moving forward. I continue to learn technology and management skills which is very much needed in this day and time.

If you present yourself as a friendly individual you can find life time friendship here.
Pros
Cost of Education
Cons
Cost of Medical, Dental, and etc. benefits
Intern (Accounting Department/Financial Services)
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 28, 2017
• Entered transactions, including debits and credits, into database to maintian records of university budget
• Reconciled bank statements and tracked records of fixed assets
• Posted journal entries and assisted with preparation of cash receipts, deposits, and accounts payable
Senior Assistant to the President (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 25, 2017
I enjoyed many of the individuals i worked with. The environment and atmosphere was very professional. I would recommend others to seek employment there.
Post Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 12, 2017
Never a dull moment working with students. Enjoyed the relationship building with students, faculty and staff. Great place for continued education opportunities for self improvement. The hardest part of the job, saying good-bye to students upon graduation that worked for me. The most enjoyable was coaching and mentoring students and seeing the results. Also being able to translate vision in reality.
Pros
Opportunity to expand on educations
Cons
The work location
Fun Place to Work
Administrative Assistant - Academic Affairs (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 13, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at JCSU; working in an academic setting and the college students gave me the opportunity to be a mentor to numerous students;

One of the things that I learned during my time at JCSU was that when you unintentionally show that you have skills simply by performing your role to the best of your ability that it did not go unnoticed and paid off tremendously as I was asked to share information I used to perform my daily tasks with other Administrative Assistants at JCSU;
Pros
Working Environment
Cons
None that I can think off
Productive fun work place
Admin (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 22, 2017
Very productive and fun. I enjoyed working at Johnson C. Smith bringing in new students to start their college career. Seeing them progress and become a totally new person, and being able to watch young people grow and advance into mature adults.
Pros
Free lunches, pay, breaks
Cons
N/a
Very productive work place
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 8, 2017
Excellent Staff. It is a fun and vibrant environment. The faculty and staff all make the community an excellent workplace. The students are wonderful as well. As an employee they teach you the ropes of the school and what the school stands for.
Relaxed environment, opportunity to develop professional skills
Data Analyst - Fundraising Division (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 8, 2017
A typical day at work entails speaking donors and colleagues along with entering data to produce various fundraising reports.
Management is not micro but employees have autonomy to complete tasks.
The work environment is relaxed.
The hardest part of the job is processing end of year giving.
The best part of the job is interacting with donors.
Pros
Minimal overtime and weekend hours
Cons
Managing multiple tasks and reports
Decent
Basketball Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 13, 2017
A good university with bad leadership that needs new leaders, new coaches, and an athletic director. Lastly, a great campus surrounded by a lovely city
Productive and positive work environment
Teach Sport Management (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2017
A typical day at work consists of me arriving about 9:30 am to prepare to teach my 10 am class. Afterwards I grade assignments, reply to emails and prepare for my 2 pm and 3 pm classes. I've learned how to adapt quickly, go with my instincts, and stand firm on deadlines I set for the students. The workplace culture is diverse; Full of men and women with different ethnic backgrounds. The challenging part about the job is coming up with new and inventive ways to provide the students with the information that doesn't completely bore them. The most enjoyable is interacting with all of the students and faculty and staff members on a day to day basis. I really enjoy this workplace and environment.
Football
Running Back Coach (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 8, 2017
Great school academically but needs to improve on the school spirit behind the football program. The games could improved along with recruiting better talented student athletes. Need some young energy to come change the program with vision like no other seen in the CIAA.
Great place to learn higher education
Temporary position, part time - (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 13, 2017
Enjoyed learning about Admissions, Financial Aide and Dept of Ed.
Liquidating the Perkins loan is a project that I learned great details about.
Family environment that builds professional skill set
Admissions Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 10, 2017
Johnson C. Smith is a home away from home whether you're a student or an employee. I love JCSU. I have access to unlimited resources from the admissions office.
Enjoyed working with students, faculty and staff
Lab Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 21, 2016
It was good experience related to Chemistry and Biology. This job was supported by a grant. The job ended because of grant completion.
Unstable Envirnoment
Executive Administrative Assistant/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2016
Great President and VP of Sponsored programs all other divisions especially the financial divisions has unlimited instability. Good people but need clear direction.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Unstable
Great place to work! Family style work environment!
Perkins Loan Coordinator/Account Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 7, 2016
Johnson C. Smith's culture is inviting and welcoming. I have met some great people with many different backgrounds. In my position I was responsible for educating students on financial planning and debt management.
Pros
Campus environment, excellent reputation in community
Cons
pay frequency
Great Workplace and professional
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 6, 2016
I love working in the office of admissions. Workers are understanding an easy to get along with. Management was very fair and also understanding and was willing to give helpful opportunities.
I enjoyed attending and working at my Alma Mater
Student Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 19, 2016
Johnson C. Smith University not only provided a wonderful education and culture for students, however being provided the opportunity to work on campus was outstanding.
Working at JCSU
Residence Hall Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 4, 2016
A typical work day for me is cleaning up organizational messes, and addressing student issues in and outside of the residence halls. My co-workers a fine, but some seem to be lacking a little drive, which I think is due to the university not being appreciative of hard work and putting a halt on raises for years.
Pros
Good central location in town.
Cons
Lack of proper protocol between departments
Good for college students
Sit-Lux Scholars Mentor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 10, 2015
There is no assigned office to report to. Being that you are a mentor, you get to work with your assigned mentee's where ever you see fit. You are able to clock in through a web portal whenever and where ever you are meeting with a mentee. It is easy to balance your class schedule with your work schedule. The pay was good for being a college student. We were payed 12 dollars an hour. However being that we were paid through a grant, it was considered work study. Therefore a cap was placed on how much we can work a week.
Pros
worked with my class schedule
Cons
no benefits at all for students