Johnson C. Smith University Employee Reviews

Indeed review
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2015
The best part of my job was what I did in the classroom and the support of my immediate boss. The worst part is that this college is run ineptly, and if this is not rectified it won't exist much longer.
Great Company to work for.
Financial Aid Counselor IIC (Current Employee), charlotteJune 17, 2015
Pros: learned to love family while they are here
Cons: none
Really enjoyed working for this company, the cases where hard due to families trying to keep their loved ones home with them, other than placing them in a nursing home. I then became a caregiver my self for my elderly parent
Knowledgeable environment to work in
Information Technology Support Helpdesk (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 12, 2015
typical day was just dealing technical support

What parts to deal with when taking apart a laptop and putting back together. Gave me good technical skills.

Supervisor was lenient but kept us in line to make sure a tight ship was ran properly.

Co-workers were helpful if you needed assistance with a problem and showed you the ropes.

There were no hard parts

Enjoyable part was just learning technical information and increasing my knowledge
Enjoyable work place
Adjunct Professor - Metropolitan College (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 3, 2015
Taught business courses twice a week, online and on site on campus to adult learners during the evening. Create a syllabus for the students to follow, create tests and papers for completion by the students.
Event Planner
Event Planner (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 12, 2015
Pros: Got to work with internal and external community
Cons: Management micromanaged
Great to see students in learning environment

Got to work with community

Loved meeting and interacting with students

Working with faculty
Great work environment with poor management
Cook (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 23, 2015
Working at JCSU under Perkins Management is pretty routine. Cook and/ prepare whats necessary for the lunch period. Menu depending on day. My coworkers are full of life and helpful in every way. Management however, brings down morale with mere presence . Hardest part of the job would be maintaining due to negligence by management. Preparation is slack on their part.
Good Work place
Admin Compliance Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 6, 2015
You have good workplace in/at Johnson C. Smith. I was just a work study student but, overall, this is something to grow with.
Interactive and engaging work environment
Adjunct Chaplain (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: relationship building
Cons: part-time
Engaging with growing and developing college students. Providing opportunities for nurture and development.
Overall exceptional
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: works around my class schedule
Cons: limited to 20 hours per week
There is great work experience being provided through this work-study position and my supervisors are preparing me for future AP and other accounting positions. My coworkers are supportive and enthusiastic about my life after my undergraduate resources, providing me with advice and resources for future positions within my field.
Entry-level work environment
Admissions Counselor for Diversity and Transfers (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCOctober 14, 2014
North Wind Promotions was a company that was geared toward the
"fresh out of college" individual desperate for their first work experience. If an individual was looking for longevity in the field of sales, this was a great opportunity to kick start that career. However, if sales was not in the forefront of one's aspirations, North Wind definitely was not a good fit.
Productive job while working with STEM students
Program Manager, HBCU-UP (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCSeptember 15, 2014
Oversaw different programs within the HBCU-UP project. Helped students navigate through the process of the GRE and MCAT prep course as well as advised student schedules. My work environment was very friendly. My co-workers are more like family than just co-workers. We eat together, talk and work really well with each other. The students keep us on our "toes" and everyday is a new lesson learned. Most of all of our students maintain a 4.0 gpa status, so there's rarely a problem that we encounter. I truly enjoy the conference trips the students are invited to attend and to share their research among others.
The University lacks diversity among the students body...
Adjunct Professor Johnson C Smith University (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 26, 2014
Pros: helping minorities
Cons: struggling with the management
JCSU is a small institution and lacks good management. Great co-workers.
Supervise work-study students
Organization Assistant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 12, 2014
credit tickets to refer to IT dept. assist supervisor with scheduling and assigning duties to work-study students.
Assistant Professor in English
4-Year University (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 17, 2014
Pros: good working conditions
Cons: little room to move up
Class sizes are adequate for teaching English, Literature, Critical Thinking, Race and Ethnicity courses. Students are young and energetic to learn the course material. Management is for the most part hands off when it comes to academic pedagogy.
If is a stressful and sometime over whelming to be here.
Customer Service (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 25, 2014
Cons: may not get a lunch, management turnovers
My typical day at Johnson C. Smith is mainly customer service to the parents and students. I have days were all is do is answers calls and help incoming traffice entering the office. The hardest part of my job is when the student come and complain about not having enough money to endure thier future. They have to leave the university. The most enjoyable part is being able to put a smile on a student face knowing I have help them in the most enduring way.
Work Study
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: flexible, good pay, easy job
Cons: no benefits, advancement (in most cases), boring at times
My boss/RHC was great but the University gave you such a hard time so my advice would be to always be two steps ahead or you will be four steps ran over!
learning experience
Student assistant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 13, 2013
Pros: learn life lesson, dinner with coach
Cons: practice after work
My overall duty was to assistance my coaches with information that pertain to our basketball program. I learned many things from my coaches not only with basketball thing but also life experieces. My co-worker were great. They were my teammate and we were with each other most of the day. I really didnt have a hard part about my job. I enjoyed my job because I enjoyed being around my coaches.
Productive workplace with the ability to work hand and hand with fellow peers.
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 8, 2013
Role modeling positive attitudes and behaviors within the dormitory. Responsible for submitting Shift Status Report of all activities while on duty.Monitor visitations and enforce the visitation policy.In this position I held many hats or titles if you would say. I was a counselor to my residents as well as the adviser on my floor. The position allows one to take on the task of not only being in a peer to your residents but also the individual in charge who has to be stern and apply to the rules even if those violating them are your friends or people you may associate with.
Work Study
Office Assistant, Alumni Affairs (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 27, 2013
Pros: everything was good.
Cons: nothin was bad.
This was a federal work study program. With the federal work study program it is granted to you by the federal government. Which meant a little more money in my pocket.
Fun work environment
Program Counselor (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 5, 2013
Great place to work. The best part of the job is working on campus and being able to interact with students, faculty, and other staff.