Johnson C. Smith University Employee Reviews

Unstable Envirnoment
Executive Administrative Assistant/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2016
Great President and VP of Sponsored programs all other divisions especially the financial divisions has unlimited instability. Good people but need clear direction.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Unstable
Great Workplace and professional
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 6, 2016
I love working in the office of admissions. Workers are understanding an easy to get along with. Management was very fair and also understanding and was willing to give helpful opportunities.
I enjoyed attending and working at my Alma Mater
Student Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 19, 2016
Johnson C. Smith University not only provided a wonderful education and culture for students, however being provided the opportunity to work on campus was outstanding.
Working at JCSU
Residence Hall Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 4, 2016
A typical work day for me is cleaning up organizational messes, and addressing student issues in and outside of the residence halls. My co-workers a fine, but some seem to be lacking a little drive, which I think is due to the university not being appreciative of hard work and putting a halt on raises for years.
Pros
Good central location in town.
Cons
Lack of proper protocol between departments
Good for college students
Sit-Lux Scholars Mentor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 10, 2015
There is no assigned office to report to. Being that you are a mentor, you get to work with your assigned mentee's where ever you see fit. You are able to clock in through a web portal whenever and where ever you are meeting with a mentee. It is easy to balance your class schedule with your work schedule. The pay was good for being a college student. We were payed 12 dollars an hour. However being that we were paid through a grant, it was considered work study. Therefore a cap was placed on how much we can work a week.
Pros
worked with my class schedule
Cons
no benefits at all for students
Very fast paste working enviorment
Housing and Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 24, 2015
Very supportive staff, great work ethics. Overall a very fun yet business oriented environment. Helps individuals gain a great deal of customer service skills overall. Also came with great benefits as well. For example, housing and meal plan paid for.
Footlocker
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 1, 2015
Who doesn't want to work at footlocker? You get the inside scoop of every release. You have a chance to reach and exceed your daily sales goals
Talented students and staff members
Tutor Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 18, 2015
Working with my co-workers and students has thought me how to be patient and understanding, it has also thought me how to be a good role model for others.
productive and mobile
Computer Science and Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 6, 2015
• Provided customer support and maintenance support for campus wide issued computers
• Electronically maintained attendance data records for all Computer Science students
• Maintained administrative filing systems and scheduling calendar infrastructure
• Troubleshooting of network and software problems
• Maintained technical upkeep on web development
Indeed review
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2015
The best part of my job was what I did in the classroom and the support of my immediate boss. The worst part is that this college is run ineptly, and if this is not rectified it won't exist much longer.
Great Company to work for.
Financial Aid Counselor IIC (Current Employee) –  charlotteJune 17, 2015
Really enjoyed working for this company, the cases where hard due to families trying to keep their loved ones home with them, other than placing them in a nursing home. I then became a caregiver my self for my elderly parent
Pros
learned to love family while they are here
Cons
Knowledgeable environment to work in
Information Technology Support Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 12, 2015
typical day was just dealing technical support

What parts to deal with when taking apart a laptop and putting back together. Gave me good technical skills.

Supervisor was lenient but kept us in line to make sure a tight ship was ran properly.

Co-workers were helpful if you needed assistance with a problem and showed you the ropes.

There were no hard parts

Enjoyable part was just learning technical information and increasing my knowledge
Enjoyable work place
Adjunct Professor - Metropolitan College (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 3, 2015
Taught business courses twice a week, online and on site on campus to adult learners during the evening. Create a syllabus for the students to follow, create tests and papers for completion by the students.
Event Planner
Event Planner (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 12, 2015
Great to see students in learning environment

Got to work with community

Loved meeting and interacting with students

Working with faculty
Pros
Got to work with internal and external community
Cons
Management micromanaged
Great work environment with poor management
Cook (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 23, 2015
Working at JCSU under Perkins Management is pretty routine. Cook and/ prepare whats necessary for the lunch period. Menu depending on day. My coworkers are full of life and helpful in every way. Management however, brings down morale with mere presence . Hardest part of the job would be maintaining due to negligence by management. Preparation is slack on their part.
Good Work place
Admin Compliance Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 6, 2015
You have good workplace in/at Johnson C. Smith. I was just a work study student but, overall, this is something to grow with.
Interactive and engaging work environment
Adjunct Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 4, 2015
Engaging with growing and developing college students. Providing opportunities for nurture and development.
Pros
Relationship building
Cons
Part-time
Overall exceptional
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 8, 2014
There is great work experience being provided through this work-study position and my supervisors are preparing me for future AP and other accounting positions. My coworkers are supportive and enthusiastic about my life after my undergraduate resources, providing me with advice and resources for future positions within my field.
Pros
works around my class schedule
Cons
limited to 20 hours per week
Entry-level work environment
Admissions Counselor for Diversity and Transfers (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 14, 2014
North Wind Promotions was a company that was geared toward the
"fresh out of college" individual desperate for their first work experience. If an individual was looking for longevity in the field of sales, this was a great opportunity to kick start that career. However, if sales was not in the forefront of one's aspirations, North Wind definitely was not a good fit.
Productive job while working with STEM students
Program Manager, HBCU-UP (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 15, 2014
Oversaw different programs within the HBCU-UP project. Helped students navigate through the process of the GRE and MCAT prep course as well as advised student schedules. My work environment was very friendly. My co-workers are more like family than just co-workers. We eat together, talk and work really well with each other. The students keep us on our "toes" and everyday is a new lesson learned. Most of all of our students maintain a 4.0 gpa status, so there's rarely a problem that we encounter. I truly enjoy the conference trips the students are invited to attend and to share their research among others.

4.2