Johnson Controls Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,455 reviews matching the search
Not a Good Company to Work For
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
In the past JCI was a great company to work for but over the years there has been considerable restructuring and many people, even with long years of service have been let go. They seem to restructure every year, which provides no real job security. They have also adopted a policy if you are injured on the job they terminate you. Even though it is illegal to do so, they justify it by stating that you "didn't work safely". I've seen them do that to many people, so we now hide our injuries. They stress safety and how great their performance is to get contracts, but that's a lie, generally they push to get the job done regardless of the fact they have fired half their workforce. People are good, but work environment very poor, you just don't have job security. They have sold off many divisions, and seem to partner with other companies. So no real room for advancement as the have to accomadate the partners. I have a backup plan for when it's my turn to be let go.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
No job security.
fast pace workplace aiming for the goal.
Shipping and Receiving Operator (Current Employee) –  WestPoint GaMarch 4, 2016
A typical work day at Johnson Control could be stressful as well as fun depending on the persons drive in completing there goal.

I've learn that in every workplace they should not only think about themselves hitting target, but ther counter partners as well. '' One Team, One Goal''.

Management could be difficult to deal with anywhere you go, however we have to remember they have a responsibility and have to answer for someone on there team mistakes. So its more responsibility required for them.

Co-Workers are always fun and interesting to meet. People from all over the world with different ways and abilities that someone could learn from.

Hardest part of the Job I would say would be dealing with others problems and attitude, however when you keep focus of the job and why your there you should ignore certain issues that may cause confusion.

Most enjoyable part of the job for me is the beginning of the day because it always gives you something to look forward to.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
weekend work days along with hours may sometime exceed 8 a day
Dangerous place to work
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DEMarch 1, 2016
The company does very little keeping employees safe. I have lead burns on my arms because the company didn't give any proper PPE to keep my arms from being burnt. The lead dust in the air can be carried home on clothes or what not. They do test for lead levels in blood but the safety team does not help with solutions about high lead levels in blood.
I had to work 12 hrs X 7 days per week many months in a row. My life/work balance was horrible.
No 401k....no dental....no retirement plans.

The employees there are foul mouthed and rude.

The supervisor I worked with would retaliate against me if i spoke to the union about any concerns.
Pros
Pay was pretty good
Cons
Dangerous place to work
Unprofessional, childish managers (except one Team Leader).
Maintenance. (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYNovember 28, 2015
Pay was based on my wage prior to being outsourced to JCI in 2010. Had only one raise in nearly five years with JCI. Employee questions would go unanswered unless employee pushed for answers and then did not believe managers were being truthful. Found myself being outsourced again in 2015 to another company. We were given the VERY strong impression that all current JCI employees would be absorbed into new company. Did not happen and absolutely did not believe reasons given by JCI management (payback, maybe?). Did not receive any type of severence package from JCI even though I was told I was a vested employee after joining JCI by way of outsourcing in 2010.
Pros
Pay, but again that wasn't because of JCI.
Cons
Lip service only from managers regarding employee concerns, rank and file workers severely understaffed, no work-life balance.
Management did not get involved with the day to day operation of the branch
SERVICE OPERATION AGENT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2016
Management did not back up staff decisions to make the work life smoother. Poor on the job training. Salary was low. Management did not get involved with how the branch was running.
satble employment
Sheet metal Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKApril 4, 2016
along with the stability of the workplace I was trained on other machines and worked around some very professional co-workers. The hardest part was working night shift up to 60+ days at a time. the most enjoyable time was when I was on vacation
Benefits
Cons
the stretch of days in a roll we had to work
Assembly Tech
Team Assembler/ Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Clanton, ALMarch 9, 2016
My experience here has been good you learn about how to make car seats from metal to fabricaion. 8 to 10 hour shift. Co-workers are good always on time watching out for everyone. Most enjoying part taking breaks. Hardest part is machines kept breaking down.
Pros
healthcare, benefits
Cons
short breaks, very hot enviroment
Not the company it used to be
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 6, 2016
The company has great benefits and my co-workers are ethical, motivated and hard-working people I really enjoy working with. I cannot say the same thing about top management. That is all I have to say about this company.
Great pay and benefits without the job security
Organizational Change Manager (Current Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 4, 2016
Very top heavy, Director or above are constantly getting promoted while the lower level employees are getting cut. No job security but the pay and benefits are great. Work here but always have a plan B because you can get cut at anytime.
Accounts Receivable Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 1, 2016
I enjoyed working for JCI. They care about their employees. Good health benefits. They always had some type of incentive. Games to meet goals with prizes. Flexible on work times. Cared about you as a person and family.
Pros
fun, ever changing.
Cons
stressfull, monthend dead lines

Want to know more about Johnson Controls?

Ask a question
Solid company with little regard for employees well being unless it affects the bottom line
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DENovember 19, 2015
Old school upper management style that favors intimidation and the aggressive use of verbal abuse to "motivate". This caused a tense work environment most days as multiple mangers/supervisors were getting "motivation" from the plant leadership. Turnover was very high in my experience as I worked for the company for multiple years. On the positive side, the work conditions were acceptable and the compensation was fair.
Pros
Fair compensation
Cons
High stress
great place to work
wleder (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 28, 2016
great company to work for. benefits or great and there all about a safe work environment. the people that wok there are vey friendly and always willing to help
benefits
Cons
I've enjoyed my stay with Johnson Control in Puerto Rico but I need to move home to Georgia.
GENERAL SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 3, 2015
I've been working for Johnson Controls foe three years thru Adecco in Puerto Rico. I was promised a full time job with benefits but it has not happened here. I need to move back to Georgia and would like to work thru Adecco again and hopefully find full time employment with benefits.
Pros
living expenses paid
Cons
No Healthcare. Away from home. No chance of advancement
productive and fun work place
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMarch 3, 2016
great company, great co-workers, great benefits, great pay, respectful co-workers and manager, shift time, friendly environment
Flexable work hours.
Remote Operation Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 3, 2016
Great benefits, able to work in different departments within company.

Enjoyed working with co workers in each department.

Worked well with all management.
Pros
Working with different community projects
Cons
Being laid off, job elimated.
I work with a diverse culture group and is educational,
Assembly Line Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILDecember 6, 2015
A typical day is easy banter as we get our personal protection equipment on, (we work in a lead environment) the work is hard
but we relate to each other.
the heat in the summer is the worst thing no fans are allowed.
I have learned to quickly assess something and take action.
The most enjoyable part of the day? Everyone going home safe.
Pros
Good pay, and benefits
Cons
summer heat
Our workplace emphasizes integrity and ethics. We are customer-focused, continually looking to innovate and enhance our products, service and solution
Production Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Clanton, ALOctober 22, 2015
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries. Our 130,000 employees create quality products, services and solutions to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings; lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles; and seating components and systems for automobiles.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
low in salary or hourly employee
good fun place to work
prodution (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KYFebruary 13, 2016
office people are great, employees are good workers, great benifits clean working place, payed for shutdowns, christmas pay, lunch room is great
Pros
payed for shutdowns
Good Site Staff
O&M Site Operation Site Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  PRJanuary 19, 2016
Is very fun to work with The Site staff, but is to much work for only one Utilities Supervisor, therefore that impacts the balance between life and work.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
To much work for a only one person.
Great place to work but horrible time frame to work and have family
STADIUM CONTROL OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Miller Park, WIOctober 26, 2015
For being such a large corporation I feel Johnson Controls doesn't truly care for it's employees. Yes, the company has all the bells and whistles that a good company should have, but actually caring for or having considerations for the individual employee is something that is non-existent with Johnson Controls. Human resources is a name not an actuality.
Pros
Decent benifits, Paid time off & sick time
Cons
no breaks in my position & extremely minimal human contact