Johnson Controls Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,413 reviews matching the search
Do not work here!
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 7, 2016
Terrible onboarding and orientation! Poor HR, IT and management! They will expect you to do everything yourself! Very unsafe! I worked in one of the labs. It was very ancient, old test equipment, dinosour techs and engineers. These are not your high end engineers and/or techs. They will hire anyone, whether qualified or not! VERY PC, liberal! CEO is a crook! You never know if your job is secure! They go to other States and countries to hire, as everyone knows how mad they are local in Milwaukee! They pretend that they care about the local community.
Pros
Cons
Many
Business Units are excellent to work with and leadership within the Building Efficiency group is excellent
Talent Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 15, 2016
Working with and supporting the business units is great. Stronger Corporate leadership is required,
Work volumes are extremely high in Talent Acquisition and we continually are asked to do more with less tool and financial support.
The team is excellent very strong technically and professionally they are the most enjoyable part of the job.
There is a true lack of work/life balance as well as an inequity in the compensation packages.
stressful, unorganized, difficult teamwork, poor communication, excessive overtime, decent pay.
material handler (Former Employee) –  Clanton, ALJune 10, 2016
not extremely hard work, but stressful.
logistics was easy to understand, but very unorganized.
my supervisor had much regard for his team.
teamwork was difficult to achieve for the most part.
very poor communication with logistics from other departments, and always working overtime.
i enjoyed my pay rate and steady work, not much downtime.
Pros
steady work, good supervisor, comfortable environment
Cons
healthcare, little regard from "higher ups", bad balance between work and home life..
Multiple skills self taught,
O&M Specialist III (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 14, 2016
Jeco is an ARBON sister company. Yearly raises 2-4% a year.
Good expensive benefits. 9 paid holidays,1 week vacation for first 5 years then 2, 5yrs before 401K is vested.
Lots of job titles, pats on the back, more headaches, the pocket change raises do not cover the cost of living yearly national avg. increase, or the inflation of aspirin,Tylenol, aleve, or any other headache medication.
Pros
Skills learned, and required, are endless
Cons
Stubborn GM at my branch, you're either with him or your "laid off"
Nice place to work and good people to be around
Welder/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, PAJune 8, 2016
It is a good place to work with the ability to mover from department to department. There really is not room for advancement from laborer to management. You Have the ability to learn a new trade such as going from the machine shop to the Fabrication shop. They will train and teach you to weld if you have not had experience. Good place to work if you have the patients to work with others and problem solve issues that arise.
great place to work...people were happy...
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lexington, TNMay 18, 2016
this was a great place to work, morale was high, business was coming in, incentive and awards programs, and yet you still had a personal life...people actually looked forward to coming to work at Johnson controls...we could talk and joke around and even sang on the assembly line and constantly made production!! but I feel in the long run jci priced themselves out of the business because, in effect, they treated their employees well but it cost them...when jci sold out to mig, everything went out the window...so sad...
Pros
treated employees really well
Cons
sold to mig
Productive, spend a lot of time doing lab work.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 14, 2016
Managing reagents through a management system. Fulfilling chemists request for handling and disposing any hazardous materials. Making sure that every labs on site are safe to work in. Keeping good relationships between co-workers and clients is very important. Making sure that communications between upper managements, co-workers, and clients run smoothly to minimize errors. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. Everyone brings something to the table, so you can always learn something new everyday.
Pros
Great benefit and great working environment
Cons
Health benefits, and annual salary increase can be better.
Good job with a lot of growth options
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 1, 2016
JCI is a good employer overall. As they say though people don't leave companies they leave managers. If you have a good manager and a good team, this company is great. Managers vary quite a bit though. The benefits and pay are good. And typically there are plenty of options for growth within the company. A word of caution though, the impending Tyco merger could see some large turnover in the near-mid term.
Positive, productive, friendly, safe work environment
CREDIT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at Johnson Controls for over 10 years. The open communication between internal and external customer is what made Johnson Controls such a wonderful place to work. I have advanced my career to new levels and have the management team to thank for that. The team work that was shared help improve our overall success with customer satisfaction. Every job has it's trying circumstances but with the support of co-workers and management we always provided the ultimate results. I truly enjoyed my job responsibilities to be able to provide 100% customer satisfaction and will miss working with all the people I have had the privilege of working with.
Pros
Games, teams competitions
Cons
Heating, A/C controls
Lots of potential
Chiller mechanic (Current Employee) –  southern californiaApril 20, 2016
Training available if approved by your immediate supervisor. don't get on the wrong side of them or its to the back of the line with you. Too many bosses, those same bosses have so little working experience in the trade or even controls work. several managers, several area foreman, areas not sharing with others when times are slow. Sales in the service department simply don't exist, you can't send a sales person who couldn't pick out a chiller in a mechanical room to meet with a customer about their mechanical needs.
Pros
fellow mechanics
Cons
big company problems
This is a solid company to work for.
Customer Service Agent/ Call Center (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 20, 2016
Johnson Controls operates with integrity as a whole. They offer a great benefits package and decent salary. There is more work that can be done in a days time, and overtime is required to get the job done. The office is a comfortable environment. Sadly, there is very little room for growth. Overall experience was a positive one.
Pros
Great benefits, good location
Cons
Too much reorganizing and restructing.
bus boy/ dishwasher not fun and had to work every weekend.
Machine Operator / Parts Assembler (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIApril 12, 2016
my day work at start off me getting dishes out to the floor for waitress to use for customers. Then i would start washing dishes and after go on the floor to clean off tables and booths for next customer to seat and dine in.I didn't learn anything from the job but what learn from the experience being there was its tough trying to move u in positions.I did not like management not friendly.The co workers i got to work with i got along with fine and made some new friends.The hardest part about this job is sweating,wet clothes, and having no weekend off because so many people would come in morning.The most enjoyable part of the job was checks.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits
Olive Branch
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSApril 6, 2016
The management team at the olive branch facility is very disfunctional. The production team runs out of materials needed to meet goals daily. The machines have a lot of downtime due to the lack of mechanics. The maintenance department is very unorganized which causes the production machines to be down. The people do not meet their production goals because of this. The new production manager is not friendly and doesn't listen to the people on the floor. The production people get frustrated because the management team cannot support them with the tools they need to be successful. The days are full of chaos and confusion.
Pros
being off every sunday
Cons
must be able to work on a team that fails daily
its an ok place
Head Wire Welder (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 22, 2016
when i worked at jci it was bad i would run 2 machines at a time loading and unloading parts making peice rate but the attitudes of people and managers and the way stuff happens like the friend ship circles they have going on if your not apart of their friends or you dont mak it good with them you dont get any promotions or stuff like that . when i was working for them i use to come in and work all the over time i could some times i would put like 92 hours in a week and no days of for a month but theyt acted like it didnt matter and that all i was their for was to make them money and thats it they didnt care about us at all they are a bad companey to work for
Great company to advance with.
CORPORATE RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 6, 2016
Management varies from department to department which leaves room for much confusion and no consistency. Has the potential to be an amazing company if they would stop merging and venturing into other realms of service. It is a revolving door at this place.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, awesome coworkers
Cons
Horrible managment, no job security
productive place to work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 13, 2016
Typical day at work was the same as everyday
I learned how to identify parts and different types of wires used on different units
Management is ok
coworkers are very friendly and welling to help when needed
the hardest part of the job was working during the summer because it does get really hot inside the building even with air conditioning
the most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to do wiring on units and checking them for leaks
Good Place to work for.
Copper Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at Johnson Controls is working 9 hours day and sometimes 8 hour days on Saturday and Sunday. Work starts at 6 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

I have learned how to check the brazed coils for leaks and fix them before sending them to the line to be maybe in a unite.

The management is really good.

Most of my co-works awesome. They are really good at helping out in the other areas in the department that needs help.

The hardest part is when there is no coils to braze and the machine that makes the coils goes down.

The most enjoyable part is the people I work with and a job well done.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks, and sometime working 13 days straight
Productive, Formatted, Easy Team to work with
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMarch 10, 2016
Operations and Maintenance company with flexabilty, I learned how to work with a an all male staff very well, and communicate effectively. Staff was positive and supportive. Hardest part of the job was the early starting hour and commute. Management was very supportive and gave me the freedom to learn what i needed and the support I needed to manage the systems.
Dangerous place to work
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DEMarch 1, 2016
The company does very little keeping employees safe. I have lead burns on my arms because the company didn't give any proper PPE to keep my arms from being burnt. The lead dust in the air can be carried home on clothes or what not. They do test for lead levels in blood but the safety team does not help with solutions about high lead levels in blood.
I had to work 12 hrs X 7 days per week many months in a row. My life/work balance was horrible.
No 401k....no dental....no retirement plans.

The employees there are foul mouthed and rude.

The supervisor I worked with would retaliate against me if i spoke to the union about any concerns.
Pros
Pay was pretty good
Cons
Dangerous place to work
Might be better if the union was actually for their people
Warehouse/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 14, 2016
At the time of employment with the company, they were contracted under a food union instead of a automotive union that should have been covering their employees. Unfortunately, when it was time to fight for job security none existed.
Pros
Educational hands on training
Cons
union laws