Johnson Controls Employee Reviews

Found 1,618 reviews matching the search
Global organization with lots of interesting challenges
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 30, 2016
The organization is currently going through a period of change that is absolutely necessary to bring it into the modern era. The culture is something that is changing as well with many people moving from positions that are not the right fit for them. There is a need to follow more strict processes. There is unfortunately issues with change management and a lack of accountability.
The most difficult part of the job is trying to get consensus across the organization, it takes a lot of coordination and requires many meetings. The best part of the job is being able to get through the phase exists and show that you are bringing products to market.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor communications
Mixed experiance as a FST under Tyco IS
Tyco IS Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 5, 2017
My Manger is great. He listens and understands and seems to always try to be fair and supportive. I work for Tyco IS as a Field Service Technician, which recently merged under Johnson Controls. The guys I work with are good group and I enjoy their company though I spend most of my time working independently as we all do which is a blessing and a curse. I have control of my scheduled which gives me some leeway but it gives one a false scene of work life balance. There is plenty of Overtime. My understanding from speaking with FSTs from other areas is that my situation is not typical to the company. I do not enjoy the work because I do not find it fulfilling. Its good work not hard and for me its a good place to be till its not. All the others I work with have been there for years, ranging from 8 to 33, and there is a bit of pressure to make a career of the work as a result. My direct experience is over all positive but unless you don't mind doing the same things over and over again I wouldn't recommend this job.
Pros
My Manager, My Coworkers, Make your own scheduled, Over time
Cons
Company culture, tedious, repetitive, unsatisfying
Wonderful place to work! Just gotta keep up!
MAINTENANCE MECHANIC B (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYJanuary 13, 2017
JCI was an extremely rewarding company to work for and they took great care of their employees! They have spectacular insurance and benefits as well as pay and advancement opportunities!

The ONLY negative aspect of this position was the last minute "hold overs" of when you were expected to stay late (after shift hours) in order to complete a task but that wasn't an issue unless I had an appointment or obligation that was scheduled immediately after work.

All in all, Johnson Controls is one of those companies where everyday people (with or without a college education) can build a future and a life for themselves with the right amount of effort and hard work.
good salary and benefits
Electrical Installer II (Former Employee) –  Based in Lincoln, Ne covered the entire stateFebruary 24, 2017
There was no typical day, lots of variety. Installed conduit, cables, control panels, termination. install devices.
I learned some programming and how mechanical systems work together in buildings. I learned how to work with owners, contractors and end users.
Management was hands off for the most part. I ran my projects and mostly worked alone.
JCI is very customer oriented.
The most difficult part of my employment were the downtimes with very little to do.
The most enjoyable was the travel to different JCI locations to work with others and learning different ways to accomplish the goals. To know I've satisfied customers, and to build and maintain strong relationships with them through the years
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
some micro management lack of respect from teammates and management
Get ready for micro management.
COSC Billing Rep (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 11, 2017
Typical day is pounding work out like a factory. Then you have linear minded management who presses for faster work. Also, you have audits continuously, you have to have almost flawless accuracy on everything. Don't slip up on production, if you do, you will be put on a PIP, a performance plan.

I was told to just press refresh continuously to get work and compete with 46 other people doing the same thing. Keep those numbers up.

In meetings if you debate or explain anything you get an email after the meeting about everything you talked about peppered with negative comments.

If you are looking at a job in what is called BRC COSC, a must stay away.
Pros
health plans, 401k match
Cons
debating life decisions the got you in this position.
Fun Work place
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCDecember 28, 2016
Great place to work excellent management staff and great benefits package. Good training program and good trainers. Not a whole lot of room for advancement
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not a lot of advancement
easy tasks and competitive pay
Assembly Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 17, 2016
I worked for Johnson Controls for over 7 years and really enjoyed my time there. Reason for leaving was family based. Employees were friendly and management was personable.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
long hours-many weekends
Summary of job duties
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 4, 2016
Worked days. Company is greatly influenced by Wall Street analyst advice. Management reduces US employment to take advantage of lower labor costs abroad sacrificing quality control for short term gains. Recent merger and inversion issues have a great impact on US jobs.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
job security
Not My Cup of Tea
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 2, 2017
This company started off really great, however, they were understaffed and management was not supportive when the work load and stress levels were over compensated. The company would have been a better place if the hiring manager could do a better job at selecting the best honorable people.
Pros
High pay, small environment, great benefits.
Cons
Management, Agent harassment, understaffed
Run, don't walk out of this place!
Materials (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 30, 2016
Worse place I have ever worked! Zero work/life balance. Couldn't schedule vacations or get off for a funeral. Never any positive feedback, only what you do wrong. And apparently nobody does anything right. Everyone I spoke to was in fear of losing their job on a daily basis in the departments I had communication with. No Loyalty. Set-up to fail from the start.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Too many to list
productive workplace and alot of great people.
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILDecember 8, 2016
My time at johnson controls was a very rewarding i got to spend most of my days with amazing people. I was able to learn time management skills and also how to become a more productive person in the workplace and also at home.
Pros
free lunches during holidays and also great healthcare benefits
Cons
time consuming work and very long nights
Company changing and achieving its goals.
Electronic Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Holland, MISeptember 7, 2016
Over all the local facility in Holland, MI is a decent place to work. Usually there is opportunity to work overtime, it used to be mandatory 12 hours; however management has changed how they account for their production and have encouraged a positive life/work balance by scheduling eight hour shifts. Good profit sharing plan, benefits for full coverage is very expensive.
Pros
A great place to learn, management gives quite a bit of latitude to learn and grow into your job.
Cons
A tendency from management to over use temporary employees.
Fair and Just Company
Project Development (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 12, 2016
Great company with a culture of fairness. Lots of opportuntiy for advancement and growth. Hi integrity. Appreciate and support those who are productive and give people many chances to be successful.
Pros
Stable, Benefits, Culture of respect
Cons
To much turnover.
Overall a good company that cares
Administrative Manager/COA I (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 17, 2016
Work was very busy and there was always something new to learn. Diverse working environment and pleasurable co-workers for the most part. Management could definitely use some tweaking or extra care given to communication techniques.
Pros
Pleasurable atmosphere, compensation and benefits are exceptional
Cons
Management needed to work on communication skills.
Professional Friendly Place
COS Unloader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 19, 2016
Learned many things here. Very upscale professional place to work. Coworkers and management was great. My Favorite part was learning something new everyday there. They had goals set for us too reach, Very Fun And competitive work there. Incentive pay Was great. Even has a union with fighting Representatives. Just An Awesome Job Period.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Over Worked The Employees At Points.
Challenging work place with amazing benefits.
Emergency Dispatch Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 27, 2016
Primarily, our job at Johnson Controls was to ensure the safety of our clients. To do so, everyone started off their shift being up to 20 minutes early, to enforce punctuality and to be prepared for the next however-so-many hours they had to work. This included logging into the required software, situating their phones lines and so forth. Although the work place was very comfortable, and the staff/management were more than willing to help whenever, I believe the hardest part about this job was making a call to a client who was in a life risking situation, and blamed out security system for their problem. Customer service was also something we took pride in, so when a client had a particular problem with our company, it was our first priority to fix the matter. One thing I miss about the job was the other EDO's. With Johnson Controls environment, it was extremely easy to make friends and workplace relationships.
Come to work and you will be fine
Operator (Current Employee) –  West Union, SCJuly 27, 2016
I am a current employee at the Johnson Controls West Union facility. Depending on what side of the plant you go, one side is climate controlled and the other side is not. Some jobs are easy, and others (such as the department I am in) separate the kids from the adults. As long as you come to work on time, dont call in sick all of the time or show up late or leave early, and come in ready to work, you are good to go. Management is tough on us at times, but they are good to us. hardest part is dealing with the heat. If you can get past that, you are good to go.
Pros
Very competitive pay and beneifts
Cons
Heat.
No days off
Test stand operator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 28, 2016
Over work underpay and just work too much espically nighyshift and only get 30 min lunch breaks and management really sucks and unfair and they do not know how to run a production line
Pros
Good benifits and get bonuses every quarter
Cons
Over work under pay and work too much
Its a great opportunity the people are exciting and eager to help.
OPERATIONS TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILJanuary 19, 2017
Long hours but the salary is good. Hard work moving heavy items. Alot of lifting, bending, pulling. You meet great people. You can move up in different positions.
Pros
PAY
Cons
HOURS
Its an okay work environment
Assembly Line Inspector (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KYDecember 26, 2016
The pay compensation is good, with raises every 6 months. It is incredibly hard on your body, not your mind. Your hands will hurt, but eventually you build the muscle up, to where it doesn't hurt anymore.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Pain

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Controls. Our community is ready to answer.

76%