Johnson Controls Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,458 reviews matching the search
Unprofessional, childish managers (except one Team Leader).
Maintenance. (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYNovember 28, 2015
Pay was based on my wage prior to being outsourced to JCI in 2010. Had only one raise in nearly five years with JCI. Employee questions would go unanswered unless employee pushed for answers and then did not believe managers were being truthful. Found myself being outsourced again in 2015 to another company. We were given the VERY strong impression that all current JCI employees would be absorbed into new company. Did not happen and absolutely did not believe reasons given by JCI management (payback, maybe?). Did not receive any type of severence package from JCI even though I was told I was a vested employee after joining JCI by way of outsourcing in 2010.
Pros
Pay, but again that wasn't because of JCI.
Cons
Lip service only from managers regarding employee concerns, rank and file workers severely understaffed, no work-life balance.
Not a Good Company to Work For
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
In the past JCI was a great company to work for but over the years there has been considerable restructuring and many people, even with long years of service have been let go. They seem to restructure every year, which provides no real job security. They have also adopted a policy if you are injured on the job they terminate you. Even though it is illegal to do so, they justify it by stating that you "didn't work safely". I've seen them do that to many people, so we now hide our injuries. They stress safety and how great their performance is to get contracts, but that's a lie, generally they push to get the job done regardless of the fact they have fired half their workforce. People are good, but work environment very poor, you just don't have job security. They have sold off many divisions, and seem to partner with other companies. So no real room for advancement as the have to accomadate the partners. I have a backup plan for when it's my turn to be let go.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
No job security.
fast pace workplace aiming for the goal.
Shipping and Receiving Operator (Current Employee) –  WestPoint GaMarch 4, 2016
A typical work day at Johnson Control could be stressful as well as fun depending on the persons drive in completing there goal.

I've learn that in every workplace they should not only think about themselves hitting target, but ther counter partners as well. '' One Team, One Goal''.

Management could be difficult to deal with anywhere you go, however we have to remember they have a responsibility and have to answer for someone on there team mistakes. So its more responsibility required for them.

Co-Workers are always fun and interesting to meet. People from all over the world with different ways and abilities that someone could learn from.

Hardest part of the Job I would say would be dealing with others problems and attitude, however when you keep focus of the job and why your there you should ignore certain issues that may cause confusion.

Most enjoyable part of the job for me is the beginning of the day because it always gives you something to look forward to.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
weekend work days along with hours may sometime exceed 8 a day
Management did not get involved with the day to day operation of the branch
SERVICE OPERATION AGENT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2016
Management did not back up staff decisions to make the work life smoother. Poor on the job training. Salary was low. Management did not get involved with how the branch was running.
I truely enjoy working here
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2016
i have had great success with JCI. i started out as an Control Tech and have been promoted 2 times since then. i was a lead tech for about 4 years and i was just recently promoted into management as Project Specialist. There is great room for advancement if you apply yourself and do what needs to be done on a daily basis.
Olive Branch
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSApril 6, 2016
The management team at the olive branch facility is very disfunctional. The production team runs out of materials needed to meet goals daily. The machines have a lot of downtime due to the lack of mechanics. The maintenance department is very unorganized which causes the production machines to be down. The people do not meet their production goals because of this. The new production manager is not friendly and doesn't listen to the people on the floor. The production people get frustrated because the management team cannot support them with the tools they need to be successful. The days are full of chaos and confusion.
Pros
being off every sunday
Cons
must be able to work on a team that fails daily
its an ok place
Head Wire Welder (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 22, 2016
when i worked at jci it was bad i would run 2 machines at a time loading and unloading parts making peice rate but the attitudes of people and managers and the way stuff happens like the friend ship circles they have going on if your not apart of their friends or you dont mak it good with them you dont get any promotions or stuff like that . when i was working for them i use to come in and work all the over time i could some times i would put like 92 hours in a week and no days of for a month but theyt acted like it didnt matter and that all i was their for was to make them money and thats it they didnt care about us at all they are a bad companey to work for
Good Place to work for.
Copper Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at Johnson Controls is working 9 hours day and sometimes 8 hour days on Saturday and Sunday. Work starts at 6 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

I have learned how to check the brazed coils for leaks and fix them before sending them to the line to be maybe in a unite.

The management is really good.

Most of my co-works awesome. They are really good at helping out in the other areas in the department that needs help.

The hardest part is when there is no coils to braze and the machine that makes the coils goes down.

The most enjoyable part is the people I work with and a job well done.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks, and sometime working 13 days straight
Not the company it used to be
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 6, 2016
The company has great benefits and my co-workers are ethical, motivated and hard-working people I really enjoy working with. I cannot say the same thing about top management. That is all I have to say about this company.
Dangerous place to work
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DEMarch 1, 2016
The company does very little keeping employees safe. I have lead burns on my arms because the company didn't give any proper PPE to keep my arms from being burnt. The lead dust in the air can be carried home on clothes or what not. They do test for lead levels in blood but the safety team does not help with solutions about high lead levels in blood.
I had to work 12 hrs X 7 days per week many months in a row. My life/work balance was horrible.
No 401k....no dental....no retirement plans.

The employees there are foul mouthed and rude.

The supervisor I worked with would retaliate against me if i spoke to the union about any concerns.
Pros
Pay was pretty good
Cons
Dangerous place to work
Great pay and benefits without the job security
Organizational Change Manager (Current Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 4, 2016
Very top heavy, Director or above are constantly getting promoted while the lower level employees are getting cut. No job security but the pay and benefits are great. Work here but always have a plan B because you can get cut at anytime.
Unstable at best with terrible communication
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 3, 2015
If you're looking to excel in dealing with office politics and bureaucracy, this is the place for you. The company loves restructuring to create new management roles for fellow managers. It's a common occurrence for jobs to be eliminated. The internal communication you receive is non-existent unless you develop internal contacts to provide insight. Often, you find this information out via the local news reports instead. The seemingly throw together projects haphazardly, spend a bunch of money, and then shut it done.
It's an old boys network that values who you know rather than what you know. Very structured environment that allows for little development outside of the area you are working in. This makes it near impossible to step out of your comfort zone and learn no matter how willing you are to do so. Unless you can step into a management role, I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Co-workers were always great
Cons
Entire HR dept is incompetent at best.
Solid company with little regard for employees well being unless it affects the bottom line
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DENovember 19, 2015
Old school upper management style that favors intimidation and the aggressive use of verbal abuse to "motivate". This caused a tense work environment most days as multiple mangers/supervisors were getting "motivation" from the plant leadership. Turnover was very high in my experience as I worked for the company for multiple years. On the positive side, the work conditions were acceptable and the compensation was fair.
Pros
Fair compensation
Cons
High stress
Productive and welcoming
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MIFebruary 19, 2016
I enjoyed working there, The IT crew was small enough that I got to personally know all of the managers and most of my co-workers.
A typical day at work was communicating with another co-worker to work on an application together.
I learned what it meant to be in industry on the IT side. I also learned basic SQL, C#, and Javascript
Management was welcoming, they were extremely friendly to me right from the first day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was learning from everyone around me, especially the managers who had years of experience whereas I was just starting out.
Pros
Welcoming environment
productive place to work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 13, 2016
Typical day at work was the same as everyday
I learned how to identify parts and different types of wires used on different units
Management is ok
coworkers are very friendly and welling to help when needed
the hardest part of the job was working during the summer because it does get really hot inside the building even with air conditioning
the most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to do wiring on units and checking them for leaks
Not Like other Johnson Controls locations. No Hope Here at all
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  UPG Wichita, ONLYJuly 16, 2016
There is no place, I have worked in the past 30 years, more dysfunctional than this. All the production management Lie to get ahead of each other. They in fight constantly. Middle management does not stand a chance of ever being backed up. Upper management will throw any one under the bus to meet their goals.

I have heard this is not typical of Johnson Controls, and as a matter of fact all my dealings with JCI corporate were good.
YORK UPG is no place to be unless you have given up on life.

What ever you do, DO NOT GET SICK before the 1 year time period for FMLA to take effect. 72 to 80 hour work weeks expected!

You will work Christmas Eve, but hey, You will get superbowl Sunday off. NO FAMILY LIFE allowed.
Pros
GOOD MONEY for WICHITA
Cons
Entire management structure. NO CHAIN OF COMMAND
Productive work area with ping pong tables, and nice vending machines.
Production (Current Employee) –  4101 nw mattox rdAugust 18, 2016
Working at Johnson controls is what you make it, if you go in with a lazy attitude you're going to have a bad day. If you go in with a easy mindset you'll potentially have a good day. You learn how to communicate with other people. You learn how to work with other people as well. Management does there best to insure that all co-workers have an easy and safe work day shift as possible. The co-workers are fairly nice and corporatized in a days of work. As I mentioned previously coming into work sets the motion of your day. If a co-worker isn't having a good day it makes it somewhat difficult to work through out the day. The most important part of the day is making sure that all expectations were met for the customer, and that all employees worked a well and safe shift.
Pros
Meeting new people, rewards, vacation days.
Cons
Short breaks, short hours, no bonuses.
Job culture is based on integrity and honesty.
Dispute/Collection Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2016
Typical day at work- arrive, review accounts for collections, call customers, update account info.
I learned collections as a third party, to always be honest with the customer, smile while talking on the telephone.
Management tried to address issues with company policies and to back up their team as much as possible.
My co-workers (for the most part) were willing to assist and maintain our team effort as expected.
The hardest part of the job was getting a timely response from management to customer service issues.
The most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with the customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Fast paced, team oriented, good pay
Cons
JCI business center closed - the business was moved to Bratislava, Slovakia
I've enjoyed my stay with Johnson Control in Puerto Rico but I need to move home to Georgia.
GENERAL SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 3, 2015
I've been working for Johnson Controls foe three years thru Adecco in Puerto Rico. I was promised a full time job with benefits but it has not happened here. I need to move back to Georgia and would like to work thru Adecco again and hopefully find full time employment with benefits.
Pros
living expenses paid
Cons
No Healthcare. Away from home. No chance of advancement
Fast-paced work environment sure to keep one on their toes
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJuly 6, 2016
From the moment an employee clocks in and arrives at their work station they are presented with a daily quota and immediately slammed with an intimidating, yet entirely manageable, workload. Without enough time to even glance up at the clock the day seems to go by in the blink of an eye.

Managers are often found working alongside the assemblers, ensuring quality work with a greatly appreciated pair of helping hands.Finding a manager working alongside oneself can be an intimidating prospect, but as long as the pace is kept and workload complete, there's no need to worry.
Pros
In-house cafeteria, air conditioned warehouse
Cons
short breaks, few water fountains