Johnson Electric Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, Diverse
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, OHJune 28, 2016
Johnson Electric is a fun place to work. Great to work with people of all walks of life, nationalities and cultural diversities. Have made life long friends and colleagues.
Cultural Bonanza
Finance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHMarch 7, 2016
60-hour work week was the norm.
Global
Very exciting
GREAT part of my career
Learned a great deal
Fast, fast pace
IT circa 1971
Fast Paced Environment
Regional Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 15, 2016
This job required that I give my best every day. I traveled a lot and worked every day of the week including weekends, holidays, and vacation.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Required intense committment
A company who treated their employees with respect and dignity
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 28, 2016
The day would start with producing a few parts for testing before producing a mass quantity. I learned how to solder and operate a solder bath. I also learned how to operate a 12 head copper coil winder. Management were employees who were knowledgeable of the work we did and times would work with us to complete our task. My co-workers worked well with others to achieve our common goal of reaching quota for the shift. The hardest part of the job was reaching the daily quota especially when we ran into issues with the machines if they weren't working properly. The most enjoyable part was being able to work in groups and being able to socialize while completing the task.
assembly line
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  vandalia, ohioOctober 15, 2015
Very repetitive assembly line work. High expectations and hourly. I really enjoyed the job till new management took over and they just do not care about their employees at all even though they say that they do.
Pros
vacation time, paid holidays
Cons
low pay, management is terrible
Productive and good benefits
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHSeptember 5, 2015
The hardest part of the job,was lifting heavy parts, learned to assemble products.Co-workers for the most part was okay. The hardest part was not knowing where you would be,when you went end.Staying busy and learning new jobs.
Pros
A lot of nice people to work with.
Welcome to my world
Tooling Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHJuly 29, 2015
That is a phrase used by management when employees raise concerns about multiple job assignments not getting done.
Most of the talented people, especially in the tooling and engineering departments, are asked to perform duties and solve problems that are above and beyond their normal job functions. It is almost impossible to juggle the number of tasks that less knowledgeable managers assign.
Vacation benefits are good, until and unless the company starts whittling away at them to save money. Insurance is OK. A 401k program is available.
It's too bad that management is so obsessed with putting on a dog-and-pony show for the Chinese owners. If they focused on getting things done in an efficient manner, and supporting their best employees instead of chiding them for unfinished assignments, JE would feel less like a pressure cooker about to blow.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Stress and more stress
help with the electric
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 15, 2015
It was a good company to work for. I leaned how to do electric work. I gave the part to the election when he need parts. I also made sure if it was broken it the we fix it right away.
Overall it's a good place to work.
Senior Assembler (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, OHJune 7, 2015
Johnson Electric has been good to me. I'm just ready for a change. I would like to try something different. I've met many good people there that I care about. I've learned many different skills while working here also.
Pros
clean atmosphere. comfortable work environment
Cons
healthcare costs have dramatically gone up.
Provided great health coverage
assembler (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHMay 13, 2015
Johnson electric has an extremely poor management, you know gossip is an issue when your supervisors an so called group leaders are the one mainly spreading rumors around. The rules only apply to you if you are not one of the favorites. at Johnson electric there is a hair in a bun at all times rule five other people could have their hair down but only one will get yelled at for it. The place is run down the machines are breaking constantly which means they stop production to fix it then make you work overtime to catch back up on the work.
Pros
summer cook out, holidays off
Cons
short breaks and lunch, low pay
All Good Until New Management Takeover
Tooling Engineer (Former Employee) –  VandaliaMarch 12, 2015
I hired on as a Toolmaker. At first, I thought I had found a good long-term employer, with nice vacation benefits, and a decent work environment. Then, within the last 3 or 4 months I worked there, a new management team took over. It promptly turned the plant into a chaotic, pressure-packed workplace, assigning multiple job duties for most key and skilled trade personnel. We never knew from one week to the next what our primary duties were. Of course, this was planned, because if nobody achieved anything, then there was no reason to give merit raises.
Furthermore, I never received a single performance review the entire time I was there. Raises were taboo, a forbidden subject of discussion. We were expected to do several things poorly, rather than excel at one or two tasks. Underachievement seemed to be the norm, so management could beat up on the employees and avoid rewards for above-average performance.
Finally, a new Regional Tooling Manager was hired, and resulted in an unbelievable amount of favoritism. There wasn't enough knowledge about the stamping side of the business, and there arose all sorts of crises about production numbers, tooling deadlines, and work schedules. I had enough of the chaos, and decided to find a new employer.
Johnson Electric is on its way to becoming a workplace with underpaid, overworked, unskilled employees. And when that happens, the company will implode under the burden of poor product and a mass exit of knowledgeable, skilled personnel. I am glad to be out of it.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
chaotic atmoshpere
Fun working with hands and accomplishing production and quality standards
Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHFebruary 6, 2015
Good work for people who learn and work fast with their hands. For the most part, good working machinery and troubleshooting assistance. Very low pay starting out and extremely difficult to move up in the company if you are not a family member of a supervisor or manager. Up to 3% yearly raises and unfair equality when raising the hiring rate for new hires vs. workers with many years in (no compensation or wage equality). As of now, most of Hr and office members as well as most supervisors are new hires, meaning opportunities may open up for moving up within the ranks on the production floor. A typical day consists of starting up machinery and inspection/quality control of the first 5 parts assembled. From there each person has specific machines and steps in assisting the line, making a part from start to finish, in the box,and off to shipping. One piece flow and lean manufacturing is a huge part of the culture of continuous improvement. I've learned there how to troubleshoot machine maintenance, doing audits for 5s testing on the line, and procedures to assist in faster production. Also gained extra leadership experience as a line leader as well as classes in solder certification yearly. Management styles vary widely among supervisors and group leaders. Co-workers for the most part are helpful in assisting new hires and training for expected jobs. Most enjoyable is physically making and producing parts and viewing the finished product. Time can go by fast when everything is working well, coworkers are being helpful and good quality is achieved.
Pros
simple, easy work, helpful engineering in regards to quality and machine assistance, easy to keep busy
Cons
majority of supervisors and hr are new & not informed or helpful, very short breaks, tenured workers burnt out and negative, unhelpful or rude, resulting in the loss of exceptional new coworkers, too many new office members, resulting in wasteful and unnecessary rules that don't correlate with work needed done, promotions difficult without prior associations with others higher up in the company, very often standing in one place without moving for entire shift
Fun, productive work place that keeps you busy.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHNovember 14, 2014
Working at Johnson electric was an enjoyable change, the hours were set and the people were caring. The hardest part of the job was that you were on your feet standing in one spot the whole shift. I enjoyed that it kept me constantly busy and working. The only downfall was that in the season that we were supposed to be most busy and get overtime, we ended up not getting as many orders as suspected and they did a mass layoff which I was included in.
Enjoyable place to work.
Assembly Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MIOctober 13, 2014
Loved working for this company. I wish that they were still here in Michigan.
Good place to work if you want to grow
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, OHSeptember 15, 2014
This company strives for continuous improvement not only for the company but from individuals as well. A large majority of the management were former operators. I have never worked at a place where everyone is helpful and willing to pass information on no matter how busy they are.
Pros
great company with many benefits
I don't like it
Assembly (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, OHAugust 27, 2014
The people are great that I work with,but as far as HR is concerned I really feel they really aren't for the employee.And its who you know to get anywhere in the company and I don't feel thats right.Its a team effort
and as far as i am concerned there is no I in team.
Pros
when it time to go home
Cons
short breaks
Clean Work Environment
Solderer/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, OHJuly 28, 2014
Safety...Quality..Production...as with good company...i've learned how to solder, am solder certified. management is fine, i really have nothing bad to say about them. the department i work in is a high quality one. since i wire switches that go in to aircraft it is very confidential. co workers are ok, some r better than others. hardest part of the job is learning new things, but i"m a quick learner. most enjoyable part is that i have good coworkers around me
Pros
paid lunches..good people, great benefits
Cons
short breaks, travel
Challenging customer oriented company
Product Manager, Application Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHJuly 2, 2014
Manage team to obtain goals.

Work directly with customers.
Demanding, fast pace, dynamic, lot of potential to climb in the org
Management (Current Employee) –  Springfield, TNMay 18, 2014
Good management, long working hours, good co-workers, opportunity to travel overseas, very demanding,
great job
Research Lab Technician- Contract employee (Former Employee) –  Springfield ,TnApril 28, 2014
It was a mufti national company employing folks from all over the world. I worked in the testing lab doing validation on the product, actuators for the automotive industry , testing performance, noise level emitted , and wear after multiple conditions of heat, cold and overload or under power, and also built prototypes for testing.It was a true learning experience, as I have always been on the breakdown end of things as a maintenance technician and was given the opportunity to expand into a new field and found i really liked it. The job was constantly moving from one phase of testing to the next and I liked that some repetition but it was informative and right up my alley. The enhancement of the lab was great and the guys I worked with were also . I only wished it could have turned into a full time position.But industry dictates change.
Pros
testing was a set process, but prototypes were trial and error
Cons
industry dictates change

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Electric. Our community is ready to answer.