Johnston & Murphy Employee Reviews

An ok job but no real chance at advancement or investment in employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAAugust 8, 2017
Days could range from no one in the store to it being jammed pack, how ever it did help me learn about inventory procedures and how to manage a small staff.
Great Retail Company
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 11, 2017
Johnston & Murphy is definitely one of the best retail companies one can work for. Part time work is great, if you can get decent hours, and commission is pretty nice ( 3%). They are more well run and efficient than most other retail stores, and have a nice established customer base.
Great first management Job
Full Time Sales Lead (Key Holder) (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 18, 2017
Great brand and great quality shoes. Fun environment to work and great career advancement within the company. Great customer service and a great team to work with.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours, great discounts
review
Store Manager - Twelve Oaks Mall Novi, MI (Former Employee) –  Twelve Oaks Mall Novi MI.May 12, 2017
good company to work for pleasant working environment pay and benefits were good people i worked with were knowledgeable and friendly hours were only forty not what i was used to
Pros
hours
Poor Culture and Poor Upper Management
Former Manager (Former Employee) –  AnywhereMay 4, 2017
The position pays well if you can sell and if your store is lucky enough to get good traffic. No control of marketing at the store level and you are at the mercy of email blasts that the company sends. Enjoyed building relationships with other stores and customers.
If you fit the "model" and get employed, make your commission and do not upset the status quo on metric performance! Instead of striving to be the best, your longevity is more likely in being just above "company average" If you stand out, you will be taken down unless you are one of the worthy ones
Pros
Commission and Discounts
Fantastic Store Manager, Sub Par Upper Management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 7, 2017
The region where I worked in currently in the middle of a restructure and is in complete chaos. On the store level Johnston and Murphy is great! But due disorderly nature of the corporate level there is no way to achieve a promotion, pay raise, or location transfer. This is a fantastic job for a short time, but don't expect to make any advancements here.
Great job with a lot of independence.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHMarch 2, 2017
Excellent staff that looks out for each other throughout the company with plenty of good products to sell. Very low stress to the job.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Retail hours
Workplace culture
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 1, 2017
great networking with coworkers and customers. excellent flexible hours . positive and confident work environment. allows you to build and push to your best abilities .
Pros
flexible hours
Great work enivorment,Busy, emploee and customer apperication
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 15, 2016
Its an wonderful company to work for everyone is great. I like the fact they focus on product knowledge. Also they teach you the company from the bottom up.
Productive and friendly atmosphere. Good customer service. Great people to work with.
Sales Represantative (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 9, 2016
When I come in into the store I have to count the registers and make sure they have equal amount after a closing shift. Then I make sure everything looks presentable on the floor. Normally just there is just one person who opens the store, so they have to wait to take their lunch until another person comes in.
I enjoy working with my coworkers. It is a good environment to learn self-management. We always try our best to represent the brand by dressing appropriately and of course greeting our customers. When the customer is in the store we treat them like our good friends. It is important to have a friendly chat with them, besides just trying to sell them our product. When we establish a good rapport with our customer, they feel more at ease purchasing our brand and they will also come back to shop with us again.
I love meeting new people every day and being able to assist them. It is a great success for me personally when I could be a help to someone who needs my assistance.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Being at the store by myself could be really inconvenient
Fun and up beat high pressure sales environment
Market Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOOctober 25, 2016
Typical day:

Pulling numbers from previous day and review and sending out what the store did in conversion , dollar per transaction, and also units per transaction. We also make sure if we did not hit plan if we were scheduled correctly and figure out our delta for each store and market.

Payroll

I then send out emails and phone calls regard outstanding DDO's (Shoes needed to be sent out)

inventory management for stores

Report to Region

Visiting Stores and looking at visuals and helping where needed ion sales
All around great envoirment to work in. Regional Managers are a pleasure to work for.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lee, MAOctober 22, 2016
Working with team of people I did, not only helped me be successful, but also became part of family. Highly recommend this company.
Pros
product, culture, customer
Cons
working on holidays.
Great work enviroment with sales and team work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2016
It has been a good experience where i have learned a lot from customer service to conflict management. A great place to work in team and develop selling skills.
Customer Relationships
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gretna, NEAugust 15, 2016
I learnt a lot about shoes and met a lot of really great people while working at J&M. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to sit down and build a relationship with the customers.
Pros
Great relationships with customers, Really nice discounts
Cons
Stressful if you don't meet metric goals
Territory Manager, Florida (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 22, 2016
Company was very well run with GREAT product line. Company just discontinued the outside sales force. I still have accounts that I dealt with still calling me with questions regarding the product line. They still want to write this product line in addition to another line that I sell to them.
Pros
Great product line.
Cons
Company outlet stores
Great quality products
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYFebruary 28, 2016
Loved the products and the quality. Management was immature and no room for advancement without relocation. Hardest part of the job was around the holiday times and trying to enjoy the holidays with your family vs the amount of hours worked.
Pros
good quality products
Cons
no advancement, holiday work hours
great company overall
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2016
Great upper management, compensation competitive, great job culture, not much room for advancement and overtime is expected
Watch your back, management can't be trusted
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 24, 2015
Company is sinking fast and not what it use to be. Pay scale is very low. Employees are not given the tools they need to succeed. Employment is a revolving door. No stability.
Pros
Great products
Cons
Work alone, safety factor, Inventory issues, Company trying to grow too fast and alienating loyal customers.
Great work environment, awesome customers, incredible product line.
Customer service sales associate (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 8, 2015
Love working there and will continue to do so, hoping a full time position opens up, but I can not wait if a better opportunity comes across my path
Pros
Cons
need full time work
awesome product, horrible upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 14, 2015
normal retail schedule, normal retail duties
the product is great and sells itself
the customer base is very friendly and easy to work with
not much opportunity to advance
fun environment