Johnston & Murphy

Johnston & Murphy Employee Reviews

Promises never Matched Action
Sales Associate/ Key holder (Former Employee), King of PrussiaApril 20, 2015
Pros: Look Good, Feel Good, Long-term sales relationships
Cons: poor management technique; very shy and unproffesional
I had the experience of going through two managerial shifts. I was first hired as seasonal help and was kept on as a Sales Associate at two locations. Then I was moved to King of Prussia full time with a part time title. My manager left and the position was jested about being mine by the regional on a regular basis So I pushed for it. I acted as manager to a single coworker for two months and we ROCKED coming in at #3 for percent to plan. I sold more than anyone else I knew in the company and they kept me at the mall and sent him to the outlets. They hired an immature manager over me & promised me assistant manager spot (I sold $71,000 last month) she hired her friend above me as assistant manager I put in my two weeks on Friday 4-17-2015
I felt ostracized and lied to and worst of all I had worked for it
Working At Johnston & Murphy
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hartsfield Jackson AirportApril 15, 2015
Working at Johnston & Murphy Is A Wonderful experience. You meet so many great people on a day to day basis. And the staff is wonderful. Your on your feet for an eight hour shift, but time goes by so quick you don't even realize it.
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: love it all
Cons: not being able at the time to transfer to a store in va
How many different style of sunglasses there are and what they are all made to protect our eyes,

Being able to teach others how what to do.

Giving that world class service

Hardest part was leaving and moving back to VA loosing this fine store I work at.
Fun and Self Motivating
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIDecember 9, 2014
Pros: free water, easy going enviroment
Cons: small staffing and store
A typical day at work could either be really busy or really slow. I learned that you cannot have the same sales pitch for every customer. Management was cool for the most part, they just kinda pressure you to make sales but they just want you to do well for yourself. My coworkers were very good to me, very helpful and nice. The hardest part of the job were the days when your coworkers were making sales but you aren't. It can get frustrating. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide customer service to patrons and making sure they were happy with the purchases they made.
Sales driven company
PT Key Holder/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: work with great people
Cons: pay
This is a wonderful place to work. Your job is to assist customers in finding a product that fits their needs, while suggesting add-ons that would expand the life of their product. You have goals and metrics that you are required to meet and it is easy to do if you have the selling personality. The pay is not that great, but you work with people that are nice and are passionate about the company success. The most enjoyable part of the job are the customers.
great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 18, 2014
great company awesome environment clean and friendly management very knowledgeable and clean place to be
Great place to start, good luck moving up.
Assistant Manpager (Former Employee), North Texas DFWJuly 23, 2014
Pros: great discount, teams can be great.
Cons: work 50+ hours, low job ceiling, and upper management
Great products and company that stands behind their heritage. Commissions can be nice although low compared to other companies, but training is non existent. Smaller company so small store teams, if you get on at a good store you become family. They will work you... weeks straight sometimes (My manager and I had to do 2 months straight) and they will stop paying overtime. It is retail but you still work way too many hours. The real problem is moving up... company is small not a lot of room to grow despite what they say, you will make less in a lot of promotions as they move you to a slower store, and on top of that the regional managers 1 per 12 stores or so make all hiring decisions. They play favorites and don't hide it, and if you are not making what they said you would based on store business they say try harder or maybe a part time job . ( Plenty of mangers told pay plan was 40 - 50 it was really 27-32k) In the end it's a great way to learn the retail game, and product is solid. If you are ok making 35-40 a year working 6-7 days a week and never getting a pay raise unless a bigger store position becomes available which doesn't happen unless someone fired or leaves. then this company is great. But if you want to grow with a company and move up the ladder and have a career go somewhere else or be the regional best friend.
Best summer job ever!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 19, 2014
Motivated camper and staff to climb 30-60 feet up in the trees and traverse different obstacles. Also enjoyed belaying campers and staff on climbing wall and repel tower.
Great brand & great products
Manager (Former Employee), Kittery, MEMay 31, 2014
Selling luxury lifestyle in retail is always a good time. The community feeling between stores is unmatched.
Great Place to Work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 29, 2014
Great place to work, great product and great customer service.
Sell the best shoes in their Industry.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Aventura, FLJanuary 23, 2014
Management duties all day, filing, running reports, inputting sales goal for the week, individually and for store. Check always for merchandise on display , retail is detail. Train, coach and show strategic sale approach and pitch.
Productive ran different contest to keep team motivated.
Store Manager (Former Employee), 7400 San PedroAugust 25, 2013
Pros: bonuses
Cons: always had something to do.
You could plan for the day but different every day . Customer Service is #1. Like to manage as a team and develop them individual. Got along with co workers. Not enough coverage.
Only cares about numbers and not the employees.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 2, 2013
Pros: discount
Cons: pay is horrible
Great working environment, but the pay is awful. I worked there for almost a year and have never seen any type of raise or bonuses. They do not care about you, your family, or anything else. All they care about is if you are selling the product.
already done
Store Manager (Former Employee), Lancaster, PAJuly 26, 2013
Pros: hours and holidays
Cons: no breaks, but you get use to it.
Working at Johnston & Murphy was very rewarding, making people happy is very important to me, I learned so much internet and values of being a store manager, Best part of my day, was closing the sale and having a very satisfied customer and hearing we will be back to see you.
Best Shoe Company to work for
Manager (Former Employee), Foley, AL & Chattanooga, TNJuly 1, 2013
Pros: excellent chances for opportunities
Was surprise at how well I took to selling men's shoes. Loved it!

Was with the company 6 months when promoted to GM and opened a brand new store. All the employees that I had working under me were great.

Hardest part working there didn't actually have anything to do with the job. Transferred to an area where the cost of living was higher and just could not make a go of it there.

But if ever I had the chance to go back to work for J&M, I would.
Great company to work for if in the right store location
Store Manager (Current Employee), Grand Prairie, TXJune 9, 2013
Pros: customers that become friends for life
Cons: n/a
Manage all operations involved with running a retail store and managing profitability. Employee selection, training, evaluation, and finding employees with the ability to move into management positions when available and preparing them for any upcoming advancements. I am responsible for schedules, payroll, shipping/receiving, inventory, and making sales goals with above average metrics. most enjoyable part of my is still helping customers and have them walking away not ever wanting to shop with anyone else in the future. The hardest part of any retail job is balancing work time and home life and being able to take vacations earned.
Great learning expieriance and pleasure to work for!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Santa Fe NMFebruary 27, 2013
I really enjoyed taking on all the extra responcibility, growing the brand to over a million dollar store and achieving largest increase over LY consistantly while maintaining a perfect inventory. We took alot of pride in our merchandising displays and built amazing repore with our customers. Our displays, world class customer sevice, customer repore and brand knowledge made Johnston & Murphy the number one place to buy dress shoes in New Mexico.
Awesome Place to Work
Sales Associate & Key holder (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: lots of hours during the summer, commission was great, friendly people
Cons: slow time = no hours at all.
It was a great place to work, I loved the people there. Only thing was the slow time when the hours got low.
Work hard and you will get great opportunities
Manager (Current Employee), King of Prussia, PAFebruary 7, 2013
While Retail isn't my career option going forward, Johnston & Murphy has been awesome. I worked extremely hard and got national recognition and opportunities. Johnston & Murphy prides itself on being a close- knit family culture and I can say that is true without a doubt. Generous commission and employee discounts. Upper level management is down to earth and is accessible. Down side is working most weekends and holidays (even Thanksgiving, Easter and in Airport stores, Christmas).
good business to work for, good merchandise
Retail Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: good benefits
slow business, short hand, the store was very dependent of tourist business,

Johnston & Murphy Salaries