Johnston Community College Employee Reviews

A typical day of work
Equipment Audit Technician (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 30, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see new people everyday and finding out something interesting about them. I like being able to bring happiness to others with fulfilling my duties of delivering packages and furniture,
Family environment, great group of people to work with
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 15, 2017
I enjoy working at JCC because I am able to give back to the community and students what I learned from the faulty and staff at JCC.I’m fortunate to have a pretty positive working relationship. I know I am appreciated for the work I do and this obviously helps to motivate me and to strive to achieve my very best.
Pros
Quite
Cons
Late nights
Master Educator (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCApril 19, 2017
This institution is a good place to work. However, if you are not a permanent employee you don't receive the insurance even if you are working the same number of hours as the others in your department.
Benefits
Cons
No benefits
Communication
Human Resource Development Instructor (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCApril 10, 2017
Professional communication is not extended to adjunct instructor, The typical work day is not stressful. Additional training could be offered by the college.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No room for advancement
Elected Position
College Diversity Club Secretary (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCFebruary 4, 2017
I was elected, unopposed, as secretary of the Diversity Club. Our goal was to promote tolerance and intelligent discussions on diversity.
Lab Assistant
Adcaemic Skills Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCNovember 14, 2016
Great job, very diverse
This employer hires a mixture of American citizens.
They care about education and making sure that all students and staff are provided an equal opportunity to excel.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Part-time
Middle of the Road
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCSeptember 25, 2016
While I enjoy the overall mission of my job and would call myself 'passionate', I feel that my passion of educating and high standards are in vain here. Students are very much held to the standards of a vocational school rather than an institution of higher learning. Management is very heavy on the 'student is always right' philosophy which is typically far from the truth. There's also an inordinate amount of redundant paperwork making simple processes incredibly complex.
Pros
Pay
Cons
'Benefits', 'Support'
Excellent Junior College great place to work
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCAugust 16, 2016
One of the best jobs, loved working with the students and staff. Enjoyed helping students succeed. I enjoyed teaching as an adjunct and helping students with reading and English skills.
Pros
Working with great staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Good company to learn
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMarch 26, 2016
Good company to learn and grow in. Learned about how to maintain servers, storage area network devices, back-up servers and spam & virus firewall devices.
Productive place to work
Administrative Assistant, Student Enrollment (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJanuary 27, 2016
Developing my skills everyday. Learning new things. Able to lead others. Have lots of responsibility. Can take charge of my work area. Can make independent decisions about the operation of the department. Can go to seminars and gain more knowledge about my job duties.
Pros
Close to home, wellness hour (paid) along with a one hour lunch break, great benefits
Cons
very little team work
Great people at a great place to work
Biology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCNovember 1, 2015
The administration is very supportive of the faculty and staff.
The faculty are fun, cooperative and helpful. The staff are very interactive with the faculty and help guide them through procedures.
As a work study I became part of a team that helped students receive financial aid.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Financial Aid OfficeSeptember 23, 2015
Everyday was a learning experience. There is Government rules, college rules, policies and protocols to follow. Confidentiality and data security were a priority. I processed hundreds of letters a day that were time sensitive.,Interacted with agencies and students. Helped students navigate the Federal websites and apply for loans. Archiving, rotating files, researching data, proofing existing information and filling in missing data. The hardest part of this job was when I had to tell students that their loans were not approved or they did not qualify for a program. I really enjoyed the hectic pace, preferring to be busy for my whole shift.
Pros
meeting and networking with people from an array of backgrounds.
Cons
Having the title work-study means low pay and no benefits.
This is a great job for a semi retired person. Unfortunately, I needed a full time position.
Part-Time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCSeptember 14, 2015
Was unable to get promoted no matter how many departments I served in and colleagues I helped. I helped many get promotions but I could not. That was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part was serving the public with excellence and helping others reach their goals.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
No growth into a full time job with benefits
Fantasic learning experience
Student of Radiographic Technology (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJune 7, 2015
It was an amazing experience that has prepared me to be a radiographic technologist.
Traveled to three different clinical sites that allowed me to experience the different ways facilities work and the different types of equipment used.
Enjoy interacting with the various types of patients and learning new ways to provide better care.
Multimedia/Media Services/Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCApril 29, 2015
Many different tasks involving networking, computers, servers, online streaming, A/V setups for temporary usage and permanent installations for classroom instruction or Auditorium
Pros
Great team of coworkers
Cons
Compensation for work produced
I enjoyed teaching there
CICP Medical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCNovember 16, 2014
I was ask to teach paramedics advanced critical care medical topics and skills. It was a good group of egger learners and made teaching them very enjoyable.
Pros
The studnets
Cons
The drive up to the school
Johnston Community College
TABE& GED Testing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJuly 17, 2014
I Love my job at Johnston Community College. It has been a positive experience thus far.
Jcc
Cosmetology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 19, 2014
Good company to work for the staff and faculty are absolutely wonderful and friendly. Everyone tries to work together to make the college a good experience.
An unpaid internship is not ideal but provided experience
IT Intern (unpaid) (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCFebruary 7, 2014
*I was never employed by Johnston Community College.*

A typical day included wiping/reloading software, relocating computers & printers (if needed), organizing the workstation in offices on campus, running new CAT 5E or 6 cable, answering the help desk (if needed), etc.
My co-workers (actual employees) created the ideal atmosphere which encouraged me to hone the necessary skill set.
Management were professional however did not micromanage.
The more challenging elements involved performing necessary tasks with little info from management.
The most enjoyable times of the day involved going all over campus to perform duties as opposed to sitting behind a desk all day.
Pros
Good atmosphere to hone skills as an unpaid intern
Cons
Unpaid
Awesome!!
Network Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCDecember 19, 2013
great friends in the IT dept and other departments as well.
you learn something everyday about your profession and yourself.
Pros
great people, fun and new exciting work
Cons
get paid once a month