Johnstone Supply Employee Reviews

Good Company to work for
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 29, 2016
This company was good to work for and they really cared about their employees. The CEO took a special interest in every employee and cared about their well being.
Pros
Good enviroment
Cons
Hot enviroment
Caring owners
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 3, 2016
At Johnstone Supply Dayton we all worked together to make sure the customers were taken care of. We received commission when we met the sales goals for the month which was 95% of the time.
We are were like family then the owner of the company passed and our company was bought out by the Johnstone in Cincinnati.
It seemed that a lot of the employees at the Cincinnati group were just going through the motions.
Pros
They were flexible if you needed time off.
Cons
Very stressful during busy times.
Family run business with limited growth opportuntiy. Worked direct with owner with sales, marketing, training.
HVac Product Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 12, 2016
A typical day could be making sales support calls to HVAC dealers within company operations and service area to compiling training material and conducting sales training for internal office and sales associates for 4 stores, creating marketing materials for sales and support for internal office personnel to partnering contractors, field service calls to support company dealer base, compiling market information to determine and manage min/max purchasing of related HVAC materials.
Pros
customer relations, training, marketing, purchasing
Cons
compensation, lask of communications from corporate
A great place for any level.
Intern at Johnstone Supply (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 24, 2016
I've only worked there as an intern at minimum wage, so I cannot rate benefits and advancement (I left those rates blank; I did not intend to mark them low). I very much appreciate what I've discovered otherwise. The work environment is friendly, and they were flexible when I needed to change hours.

I see others working positions that seem both high and low on the advancement scale, and they seem happy. This convinces me that someone searching for work on any level, from an internship to a full-time career with hopes to advance to a top position, will have good luck at Johnstone Supply.

The work is easy enough but takes good time, so it's a stress-free environment. I learn new things here and there, such as concepts for new assignments, so there is almost always something useful to do. If not, I can simply ask one of the others if they have anything I can take care of.
Pros
Comfortable environment (not rushed)
manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 22, 2016
I enjoyed working for Johnstone. They gave me an opportunity to advance and succeed. I learned management skills, product knowledge, and over all it was a positive experience.
Productive and Busy
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Niles, ILFebruary 15, 2016
Johnstone supply is a good place to work at. However, there is little space to advance anywhere. Your daily work day would be to pick-pack orders and ship them out to other store. You will learn to use forklift as it is vital in some circumstances.Make transfers to other stores and occasionally help costumers load in their products.
Good entry-level position
Warehouse Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 13, 2016
There was no room for growth within the company. It was run by a couple of guys that were given the company from the father-in-law. Not a bad place to work for work/life balance. Just keep your expectations low.
Pros
Free lunch on Friday
Cons
No room for growth
An exciting place to work.
Counter Sales Service Associate / Lead Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 6, 2016
Johnstone Supply is an exciting place to work. We work in a constantly changing environment. The HVAC industry is constantly changing and advancing. I love working in an industry where no one will ever know everything. Advancement in knowledge is required as is self drive to succeed.
Very tough owner and unorganized company structure
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 22, 2015
I increased Sales, Profit, and Morale at my Branch but the attitude towards the company and upper management was always a struggle to keep the ones that reported to me attitude in the right direction.

Owner and Upper Management not paying bonuses to employees, putting long tenure employees down, giving no credit were credit is due
Another warehouse
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 14, 2015
This place has way to many managers and they don't know where there own boundaries end and the next managers picks up. So you get told a to do a lot of contradicting things throughout the day then blamed when not everything meshed they way they wanted.
Pros
Lots of hours decent pay for a warhouse
Cons
No chance for advancement no real pay raises idiot managers
Company did not have a culture that cared about their community
AP Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 2, 2015
I felt that the bottom line was all that mattered. It lost the Job/Life balance I wanted and management only cared about management.
Great place to work for.
Warehouse Worker/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2015
Good HVAC company and employees are good to work with, not to mention good benefits. Also you have paid vacations and discounts.
Pros
free lunches at times
Cons
No overtime
Exciting, Challenging
Central Valley Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 27, 2015
The culture was designed to create a "do what needs to be done for the customer" environment. Johnstone Fresno's mission statement was to be the distributor of choice for the "Premier" HVAC contractors in the Central Valley by making it easy to do business.
Good first job
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 6, 2015
I worked in the warehouse and got a good learning experience. Due to my job being flexible, I didn't really deal with management a whole lot but I always found it pleasant. I wouldn't say the job was hard really, more tedious but I am glad I had it for the experience.
Nice caring working environment
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE, RECEPTIONIST, CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 4, 2015
when we were very busy we worked together as a team and rocked it!!! We were a profitable company because we had monthly sales goals & when they were met we all got bonuses. The owner passed away and we were bought out by another company who ran things completely different. They were all about the money and didn't care about the employees or the customers. Very sad to see such a great company go downhill so quickly.
Pros
monthly bonuses, free lunches several times a year
Cons
When busy phone traffic would be ignored
Good
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 17, 2015
Busy. Great place to work. Not a lot of upward momentum as far as promotions. Best part of the job is the people. Hardest part of the job is people.
Pros
Healthcare free to employee
great place
warehouseing (Former Employee) –  Alburtis, PAAugust 16, 2015
company is small and well organized. Fun place to work. Always have some kind of employee gratitude luncheon, raffle. well pay if a long time employee. Management tries their hardest.
Basic Job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 6, 2015
At first the job was decent but as time went on you begin to see how people truly are. Your viewed as a disposable employee, nothing more nothing less. Which is why that place is going down hill fast.
Pros
It was a paying job, some decent people.
Cons
Pay was average or below. A lot of favoritism. DC supervisors attitude toward people.
Challenging hard work.
Inside Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 30, 2015
The HVAC industry is very rewarding. Johnstone Supply is a distributor of Heating and Air Conditioning.

Overall, the job was interesting and I learned a great deal from the people I worked with. The people who work there come many different backgrounds, and are often are new to the industry when they're first hired at Johnstone Supply.

The employee compensation is fair. The benefits are in line with the industry.

Job advancement is limited. The highest level of advancement is to become a branch manager.

Management shows little discernment or discretion when speaking of others in a negative manor. They talk very loud and too much about the people who work there! Johnstone Supply has all of the tool's to make the job rewarding, challenging and interesting. Just watch your back.
Pros
Continuing education in the HVAC inductry is available.
Cons
Management often feels bad about their employee's.
Good team to work on
Full-Charge Bookkeeper, Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicopee, MAJuly 22, 2015
Enjoy dealing with the customers and helping them find what they're looking for as well as working individually on accounting and finance side of the business.