JONES INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews in United States

High Paced, Culturally Diverse
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMay 11, 2016
Jones was a very high paced job that required a lot of work. I would still be there today if the school itself did not close doors. I assisted students in signing up for bachelors, masters, and doctorate degrees. I walked students, on the phone, and from around the world through choosing a degree, filling out required paperwork, filling out FAFSA for government aid, and walking them through orientation. I then got them in contact with a Student Support Counselor to help them with the next step as a student.
This position was online based and required skills in Salesforce, Leads 360, Noble, Microsoft Word/ Excel/ Office. It required a lot of patience and the ability to help a mass amount of very different cultures, backgrounds, and needs.
Pros
Talked with many people from many backgrounds
Cons
metrics where difficult to meet/ a lot of pressure due to lack of money in the company
Sales Driven
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CONovember 17, 2015
Great place to nurture your confidence. Appreciated everything that I learned. I am able to take the things that I've learned with me into future sales and customer service jobs.
Wonderful company to work for
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Centennial ColoradoOctober 4, 2015
It was a wonderful place to work. The staff and management made it great. We all enjoyed our jobs. Even on a bad day we were able to help each other stay positive. I loved working with the students. The university is closing at the end of the year. Had the university not closed I would have stayed there until retirement.
Pros
The people
Cons
The university is closing
Always Changing
Director, Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COSeptember 17, 2015
Working at JIU was always challenging for me career wise. We were always changing and progressing with our ideas which allowed me to work with other management on process improvements.

My experience at JIU might be diffrent then others. I was given opportunities for advancement the 9 years I was employeed for them. I was allowed to innovate process improvements, decipher federal regulations and implement department duties to ensure compliance was being met.

Overall I thought Management was supportive although sometimes there were Executive level management who should not have held their positions for as long as they did. Too many secrets, not enough trust with management level employees.
Great company
Director of Learning Resources (Former Employee) –  coloradoJuly 28, 2015
Jones International University was one of the first online universities. The University is no longer around as of 2015. It was great place to work. Great benefits. Co-workers fun to work with.
Nice place to work
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  DenverJuly 6, 2015
I learned a lot about the health care industry and about patient care. This is a good place to work with caring doctors and nurses.
i loved working in the fast pace Casino atmosphere
Sr. Admission Counselor (Former Employee) –  las vegasMarch 10, 2015
Wyndham is one of the most respected companies in the world. I was the first greeter to also be a closure in company history. I had a booth and I would meet people as they walked through the casino. I would get there attention and then bring them to the booth, (normally a closure would take them from there but at Bills casino I did both). I worked at Caesars Palace, Harrah's, The RIO to name a few and it was really exciting, I worked there when Las Vegas was going thru a really hard economy so the compensation was salary plus commission and the commissions were down at the time. I honed my face to face skills there.
Pros
great environment
Cons
low economy
Intense environment, employee lounge is nice
Sr Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COFebruary 4, 2015
Need to hire management from outside of company, too many personal relationships. Need to have directors that have years of experience and a more diverse directors, administration. There are no minorities in those positions.
Pros
round table for employees with faculty
Cons
target on your back if you have a disagreement
The Gold Standard
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJanuary 29, 2015
Every day I checked students accounts to make sure that they were being charged correctly for the courses that they were in and that they were being refunded if they dropped courses. I assisted customers over the phone as well as by email. The management in the accounting department did their best to keep their employees happy. We had different contests, picknics and events to help break up the monotony of the days and to help build employee relations. I learned a lot about how to work with a variety of people. The hardest part of this job was that I had to drive so far and was unable to adjust my schedule to work better with traffic.
Pros
upward movement.
Cons
the drive and hours.
Good place to develop a career in Sales and Marketing
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 12, 2015
I had great fun working at Jones International University. It exercised a great and open work culture to build relationships among departments and beyond. The majority of the leadership and employees have a common passion in the values and vision of the university despite its "For-Profit" stigma in higher education and operations it has to run its business on. Unfortunately, this is a reality of the industry and due to the consistent financial adversities it had endured I and over 80% of the admissions staff had to pay the price.

Want to know more about JONES INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY?

Ask a question
Poor student quality; profit driven
Professor (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJanuary 4, 2015
Very poor faculty environment with poor communication; pay is low with increases in past 5 yrs. Poor students are passed to keep retention and cash flowing. Pay is per student and many courses are small. Hard to make any money for time invested.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low course loads; poor student quality
no room for advancement poor management no sense of job security at all
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  centennialOctober 26, 2014
no room for advancement poor management no sense of job security at all
Great People
University Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COOctober 17, 2014
It has been great working with some excellent folk. Enhanced my experience in managing Help Desk.
Pros
flexible
Cons
recent rif
great managers and fast paced
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 3, 2014
I had great managers who worked with me on a daily basis and the work environment was fun and exciting.
Pros
fun and a lot of feedback from management
Cons
their system with paid time off and sick time were not reasonable.
Revolving door, no interest in ethics
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJune 24, 2014
A horrible place to work. Easy to get fired even after a long tenured career there.
Pros
9 hour days
Cons
everything
Management makes decisions based on fear instead of forsight
ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 17, 2014
The management is simply ridiculous. When the telemarketing laws made it a requirement to get permission to call prospective students on their cell phones the management sat on this information for 3 months hoping it would go away. The day before this law was to take effect they had us try to contact all 700 of our leads to get permission. The next day the leads we were not able to contact disappeared, reducing our lead bases from 700 to 50. A month later management paid a third party to contact the dumped leads and sell them back to us!
Pros
good company benefits
Cons
you'll get questioned about every thing you do, and criticized for taking too many bathroom breaks
N/a
Records Coodinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 20, 2014
-Customer service- Constant exposure to a variety of customer service issues as well as catering to needs of potential students

-Compile data into spreadsheets for reports

-Researched and reviewed records for students vital to admissions and verified existing data within our compliance

-Educated customers on the process and their options, and responded to customer inquiries
Chained to your desk
Student Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 11, 2014
The people were awesome but the hours were long and I almost went crazy because you are chained to your phone and desk all day long. This job was like working in a call center. Ethical concerns are they enroll students who are on a middle school level saying (We give everyone a chance).....not true it's all about money and they let people enroll who don't have the basic skills/knowledge to make it all the way through their programs. They also fired a guy (making up a flimsy reason everyone could see through) who was an amazing counselor after 14 years because he was making more money than the managers were. VERY AWFUL place to work UNLESS you work in the library!!!!!
Pros
paychecks were always on time
Cons
short breaks, stressful environment, very constrictive job, monotonous work
Higher Education
Admissions Counselor (Team Lead) (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 11, 2014
This was a good university to work for at one point in time..but with for profit schools taking a big hit in the last couple of years things have changed there
Pros
diverse culture
Cons
if you didn't make yoru quota you were let go
The pits.
Inside Sales Rep- College Recruitment (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COFebruary 10, 2014
Hated this job.