Jones Metal Products Employee Reviews in United States

Working at Jones was a great growning and learning experience which helped prepare me for my job at Pro Fabrication.
Sales / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNNovember 16, 2015
While working at Jones I started by working many different accounts with many different products. The last six years there, I worked primarily with the largest account at Jones which was a six million a year account. The work load was heavy and the job demands great, but it was rewarding and Jones Metal Products always treated me well.
Pros
Good Benefits, good work environment, excellent owners to work for.
Cons
Long hours and high stress.
Was a good place to work.
Press operator/Helper (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, OHJune 7, 2015
i worked there as college help one summer seemed like a good job not to bad for a factory job co-workers where easy to get along with and work days went quick
Productive and great place to work
Welding supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 21, 2015
Dealing with the management side of things was difficult at first but everyone helped me learn. everyone is great to work with. there is a lot of variety of work.
Ship of Fools
Industrial painter Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Mankato MNJanuary 8, 2015
I was an industrial painter there with 33 years of previous experience before I joined Jones Metals. As a coatings professional I observed many deviations in paint mixing specifications on a daily basis by management who knew nothing about coatings & would not perform a supervisory roll in determining uniformity in their coating applications. They relied upon advise given them by paint delivery men & salesmen when it comes to coating applications & mixing instructions without any product data sheets being utilized. The range of painters abilities were great, from unskilled to mediocre at best.The management team preferred to keep the paint dept employees out of the loop when it came to new product applications because they wanted to appear empowered & in the know when it came to relating this to their superiors. However the end result often times were paint failures, mismatched product applications, quality issues due to lack of training and/or experience & bad blood being fostered within the employee ranks by management in an attempt to divide & conquer. The current production manager prefers facebook in the office to being the hands on manager he claims. I and many employees have witnessed this. So if you want to work at Jones, be prepared to be disappointed.
Pros
union shop
Cons
ultra-poor management
Maintenance/Painting
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, OhioAugust 27, 2013
I was College helper for the summer. I did mostly painting to make the place look nice. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The most enjoyable part is learning more about the factory and how it worked every day.
Good Potiential, Poor Leadership
Director of Manufacturing Operations (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 23, 2013
Family owned business with 2nd generation of family members in key positions without education, training or experience.
The company culture evolves around the family members and their decisions that lack good data to support.
Strong "Do as I say" top down management
Strong union presence on shop floor make it difficult to make changes
Metal Fabrication Job shop with 18 weld bays, press brakes and laser metal cutting.
Health Insurance is awful expensive
Pros
product quality is good
Cons
healthcare, wages, advancement opportunties
Clean but weird
Welder (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNNovember 9, 2012
This place had a weird vibe like I was an outsider the whole time of my employment. People were hard to talk to and the management were kind of shady they never told you outright how things were. They sugar coated everything. It was nice to build things based on blue prints with a nice shop with nice equipment.
Pros
nice equipment, clean
Cons
management shady