JoS. A Bank

JoS. A Bank Employer Reviews

Needs Improvement.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Littleton, COJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: free tailoring
Cons: short/no breaks, unstable pay, grouchy bosses, snobby customers.
The title says it all.
They want you to be sold out for their company, but pay you very low (commission is a joke), with no good benefits. The upper managers are always threatening to fire people. Most of them are pricks who have no clue about how to answer a question (the district manager yelled at my store manager because he wanted to know if there was any way to identify if customer service was really the ones calling asking you to ship product without a bill-of-sale).
I hope it will get better with them being acquired by Men's Warehouse, but the upper management needs to go.

Work days are about 3-10 hours long (highly variable). It gave me good experience dealing with the highly variable customer base. I loved my co-workers, we felt like a team, I am still friends with most of them. The hardest part was dealing with the volatile managers and unstable income ($400 one week, $160 the next). I really loved the employees though and made some great friends in the customer base as well.
Good but could use some improvement
Door Greeter (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: close to my school
Cons: not enough employees for clientel
The work was quite easy and the hours weren't too long however the lack of employment was a factor. There were plenty of times that there were much more customers than people to tend to their needs and questions, requiring me to pick up the slack. But besides that the days weren't too long and the location was convenient since my school was a couple blocks away. I also learned how to do customer service at a retail level and help manage inventory. I even had coworkers that were very courteous and attentive when it came to their jobs.
Terrible management
Department Manager (Former Employee), Park Ridge, ILJanuary 19, 2015
The best parts of this job was building customer relationships and customer service. We needed to build a clientele that we needed to follow up with and build trust with. The pay was absoutlely TERRIBLE for how much work we were doing. Most of the time you were pulling the weight of what three employees should be doing. I rarely was given a break/lunch and never given a raise or option to grow within the company.
Great people, bad company.
Marketing (Current Employee), Hampstead, MDJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: people are great
Cons: little pay or room for advancement
There are a ton of talented, amazing people that work there. However, they are underutilized, micro managed, and not paid well.
productive but not a professional workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Queenstown, MDJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: team members were awesome
Cons: new mangment
daily duties were assiting customers and stocking product.
the managment was new so they didnt quite know how things were done around the store and they disrespected all the workers who orginally worked there before them. Hardest part was adapting to the new managment and the easiest was still doing what i did best and assisted customers.
bad experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), 11th st nw washington, dcDecember 9, 2014
The managerial staff was incompetent and unprepared for the job. The staff was friendly to work with, a team envorinment.
Jos A Bank
Department Manager (Former Employee), Bolingbrook, ILDecember 8, 2014
Not a bad retailer to work for. Pay isn't good at all but good merchandise.
Great workplace
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LADecember 2, 2014
Easy managment to work for, fun workplace. Staff is very friendly and easy to work for.
Inviting environment.
Sales Executive (Current Employee), Mount Kisco, NYNovember 24, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of making sure the sales floor was clean and organized. Also, making sure we kept a smile on our faces and sold as many suits as possible. Had fun while working here because of the friends I ended up making.
Rewarding Career
Store Manager (Current Employee), Lafayette, LAOctober 30, 2014
Jos. A. Bank is an outstanding company to work for. I am very blessed to have the opportunity to lead an amazing team to achieve success in this rewarding, yet challenging industry. We strive daily to provide the best experience for our customers.
It is a routine Job
Salesman Assistant (Current Employee), Princeton, NJOctober 25, 2014
It is a job for college student who do not need to pay rent. Not recommended as a life job from the store level. Really easy job, a challenge to get a raise.
stressful
third key (Current Employee), locust grove gaOctober 8, 2014
Cons: everything
to much work for little pay and the hours are bad as well. you always have someone looking over your shoulder although in the initial interview you are told that it wouldn't happen.
Good compensation 2nd half of year
Salesman (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OK, Penn Square MallOctober 3, 2014
Pros: compensation is good during holidays and back to school
Cons: business volume drops off considerably from mid-january to end of july.
Working at Jos A Bank Clothiers was very rewarding during the holidays, or really second half of the year with back to school. However, the first half of the year was very slow with volume lacking. Plus you end up paying yourself for base-pay, before the commissions start adding up. In other words, base-pay of $8.00/hr is first paid for out of commissions before they begin accumulating. That would not be a problem, if all you had to do is sell, but salespersons are also responsible for stocking, pricing, labeling, signage, and doing your own alterations, which means Jos A Bank gets a lot of free labor. When volume is high, the money is good, but the first half of the year volume drops considerably and you end up working for barely over minimum wage. Also, there is no training program to speak of, so you end up teaching yourself.
NOT a Bank!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 14, 2014
Pros: coworkers training
Cons: slow on weekdays
First job ever! I just graduated high school and needed a job. I did not expect anything when i applied. the woman that hired me did not know much with hiring except that they needed someone (anyone.) They lucked out when i came along.

I got great training when i came on board. a lot of what i know about men's clothing has to do with this place. With 4 brothers, I was able to take advantage of their Christmas specials.

Over the course of my time here, i went through 2 managers, the one that hired me transferred to a different location. the one i left from, i would thank him if i ever saw him again. He helped me A LOT with selling than knowing the product itself.

the coworkers did not change while i was there except the store managers. It may seem that this place doesnt get any business, but it actually does.
Productive and fun work place.
Product designer, Assistant store manager (Current Employee), Burlington, MASeptember 13, 2014
Pros: good location, free parking
Cons: flexible schedule
-multitask
-always run
-changes due to merging with a different company

the hardest part of the job
-uncertainty in tomorrow's business

the most enjoyable part of the job
-fun team
jos
Sales Executive (Current Employee), Clifton, NJSeptember 11, 2014
a job is a job what better than being comfortable and crusin through ur day
long hours but can make a good living
Department Manager - Full-time (Former Employee), Paramus, NJSeptember 10, 2014
work long hours in a busier store and you can potentially make a good living.
Awesome experience, cant wait to go back
Sales Associate Representative (Former Employee), Collegeville, PASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: great friendly environment, great workers, great deals, amazing managers
Cons: mens wearhouse bought them out
working at jos a bank was a great experience but after my accident in January prevented me from going back to work, my managers were the kindest and warm hearted people I ever met, after the accident the paramedics had to cut up my suit and my managers got together and bought me a brand new suit, if that isn't showing appreciation and love I don't know what is, being able to go into work and having a smile on your face knowing it'll be fun and interesting,
learned so much about suits, customers, getting something done for someone in a deadline and watching their face lite up is great,
my managers hands down best people I met,
hardest part about the job was folding the shirts back up
most enjoyable part was talking to the customers and workers and everyone having a smile on their face, at the worst days you would leave feeling a little better
Great team to work with
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Lansing, MISeptember 4, 2014
The shifts are usually rather boring which is not good for someone that likes to stay busy. I love working with most of the people that I work with. The attendance is a little lacked for my taste but I guess they feel that if you are not there then you can not sell and you loose money.
Nasty
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 23, 2014
It was a nasty place to work because of regional director. Materials were so tightly racked, and she still would not allow the use of temporary roller racks to alleviate crowding.

1 2 3 4 5

About JoS. A Bank

Perfectly Suited Careers. As one of America's premier clothiers, Jos. A. Bank is the perfect fit for people with the passion – Read more