JoS. A Bank Employee Reviews

working for jos a bank
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 29, 2012
Store Managers keep a positive work environment and are exemplary role models to their staff,
their customers and their community. They are effective communicators and interact
professionally whether they are assisting customers with issue resolution, coaching associates on
selling techniques, responding to directives from corporate headquarters or training associates on
the newest Jos. A. Bank products.
Supervising staff and enforce compliance with company policy and procedure.
Instructing their staff on merchandise features including new/add-on items, marking and fitting
techniques, fashion trends, determining what type of garments are desired, and appropriateness of
garments for particular occasions.
Leading customers through the sales process of selecting, coordinating and purchasing traditional
business and casual clothing and accessory options designed for the upscale professional man.
Providing the highest Customer Service standards while maintaining a professional demeanor and
personal presentation at all times.
Maintaining the company’s visual merchandise standards for the entire store, including general
housekeeping cleanliness.Overseeing all store operations including the Tuxedo rental program and the Tailor Shop.
Utilizing company resources to generate traffic to maintain customer contact and to build their
stores’ book of business
Pros
401 k
Cons
too many sales
Relaxing enviroment to work in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COAugust 14, 2015
A typical day at work would include assisting customers in finding a suit and outfit combinations that look good and feel good. In the pursuit of finding a good suit for your customer is figuring out their measurements to know what fits them. Once figured out you pull out suit options, including shirt and tie options so they know what goes well with that suit. After the suit has been chosen, the customer tries on the suit and I mark the suit for tailoring so it fits them perfectly. I then take the customer to the register and ring up their chosen items. When prom and wedding season came around I'd help customers with tuxedo rentals. Taking down their measurements and assisting them in choosing a tux.
Working at this company with in itself has been a complete learning experience. I walked in knowing nothing about suits and tuxedos and left with new knowledge.
My actual manager at the company was not the greatest. He was good at his job as far as suits and tuxedos, but from what I observed he had a hard time separating his work life from is personal life. Causing a lot of problems in the work place.
My co-workers were great they were the ones who taught me most of the things that I know.
The only hard part about the job was the conflict we had with our manager.
The enjoyable part of the job was learning new things and working beside very competent people.
Pros
Percentage of sales.
Cons
Pay
Great Place to Work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2014
A typical day at work entails providing superior customer service in a fast paced environment. I assist customers with selection and purchasing of fine clothing and address customer concerns as they arise. As a manager, I am facilitating new employee training, performance evaluation and suggesting course of action for improvement.
One of the many things learned on the job is that first one must seek customers to sale to. Secondly, one should always know the proper questions to ask potential clients to build good rapport. Next each employee must be able to layer all the merchandise in the store. This skill is beneficial when customers are less experienced with building ensembles. Lastly, one should always extend themselves beyond what the customer asks of them.
Management in the company is fair. However, this can change depending on the location.
The most challenging aspect of this job is managing concurrent responsibilities including customer and employee needs. Additionally, it can be physically taxing to stand an entire 8-12 hour shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the endless opportunities to interact with people from all different backgrounds.
Pros
the opportunity to build a great wardrobe is endless
Cons
commission structure, wages, benefits
If someone is unwavering in their focus and drive you can be successful
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, ILJanuary 12, 2014
I'm going to preface my review of Jos. A. Bank with a few laudable accomplishments. My achievements with Jos. A. Bank are as follows: multiple time President's Club member, number one salesperson in my region four years in a row, and my net sales from 2009 up until 2014 equals 2.95 million dollars. This was a painstaking effort to say the least, emphasis on the pain part of painstaking.

As much as I could unendingly denote deleterious drivel about this company, I'll point out the downside sparingly. There's a classic axiom, the harder you work the greater the reward. A commission sales environment is the exemplification of that principle. However, the sacrifice is endless and to be successful necessitates veritable abdication of an outside life beyond working for JAB. You have to embody an indefatigable spirit! Unfortunately, I just became extremely burnt out. Other than that, it can be an excellent place to learn the rudiments of men's clothing. For me it's upward and onward, and to anyone who accepts the challenge, good luck.
Pros
theoretically unlimited earning potential
Cons
too much micro-managing and corporate office interloping with day to day operations
We learned the art of team support.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLJune 17, 2015
JoS. A. Bank was a staple in my wardrobe during my professional
career, so when I applied for employment it was a natural fit. The products stand the test of time and most of our clients in The Villages (retirement community) were customers during their professional careers. Our 6 member staff opened the store in 2008 and stayed together for over 5 years. We learned the art of team support in all aspects of the day. Inventory control, displays, shipping and receiving, supporting one another in driving sales and dealing
with the challenge of tailoring suits for older clients with body types that were not always true to size. The community is very diverse and so we had the privilege of meeting clients from all over the world and they would share their life adventures with us while shopping.
The company is very customer centric and gives the employees many tools to train and educate in the art of the sale. For anyone who aspires to work in the retail business and has the goal of
migrating to the management level, this company has many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Always enjoyed going to work
Cons
Part time employees do not share in company benefits.
manager was very rude, short, talks sooo much!
Sales Manager in training, Key holder (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI Arbor landSeptember 19, 2013
In my four weeks of training it was just crazy that the management talks bad about customers. They are why you are there. A simple return upsets the manager. Shipping tailoring due to overload of tailoring. Cost for alterations taken away due to shipping and not hiring. Manager very unprofessional. Talks all the time about herself instead of training. Have to take the floor all the time and breaks! What's that! I didn't receive but 1 break and management has no problem taking your lunches to train you. Embarrassment of Managers dress code. Customers wives very put out by this. If you spend to much time with a customer, why you just married them. This is a very unmanageable manager! If you are a Woman do not take a job in this location. To much competition for you. loves men only! And don't think for a minute that you are inadequate in doing your job. So depressing could not even give a two week notice! Walked off job for the first time in 45 years of my history of working.
Pros
customers make your day! look forward for them to come in!
Cons
train yourself, yell at you all the time, don't come early, you will be put right to work and not paid!
Retail Schmetail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOFebruary 28, 2013
Tough game.

I worked at this gig for 8 or so months.

The manager who hired me, a lifetime retail guy, was nice enough; he was on his way out, and really didn't care to shoulder a heap of responsibilities in terms of utterly unrealistic sales goals, circus-like promotions and antiquated retail software (if memory serves, we added sales figures on an abacus).

The new guy, charging hard, expected similar or steeper sales goals, in spite of promotions such as buy 1 suit, get 3 free. Customers, well aware that they have the upper hand, often try to manipulate sales people for the 'best deal' -- beyond the scope of the promotional parameters. And in an effort to meet his daily goals, the manager winds up approving low ball transactions just to sell anything (''anything italicized).

So, customer comes in, 2-4 clerks compete for a low ball sale, customers try to negotiate for the best deal -- including refusing to pay for tailoring and so forth, and one's hourly minimum wage is weighed against all the aforementioned.

This gig was like a poorly written comedy sketch, minus the laughs.
Pros
pretty girl working register at macy's perfume counter.
Cons
not yet, but job could make you one --
Welcome to The Dungeon
call center associate (Former Employee) –  hampstead,mdFebruary 15, 2014
I worked at corperate in the call center and was bullied on a regular basis. The training (or lack there of) was a joke. Mjmnt was constantly out to get you and if they were having a bad day,so were you. Turn over is rediculous as they are constantly fireing people over piddly things or people are walking out during 'training' because the system is from 1999 and tedious and slow to use and learn. If you don't become a favorite with the supervisors by being invited to bingo or dancing then you are nothing to them and don't have a prayer for advancement. Raises are a joke. ( Dimes and quarters) You will be told that there just was'nt enough to give everyone a fair raise yet the guy running the company will get a two million dollar bonus. The people running the call center are uncouth and rude and have no concept of how to treat people.
You would have more fun and success shoveling out a barn full than working for this company .
Pros
when mjmnt. left for the day.
Cons
i have'nt got enough room to list it all, but if you can imagine working in satan's toilet, then you get the idea.
Needs Improvement.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJanuary 25, 2015
The title says it all.
They want you to be sold out for their company, but pay you very low (commission is a joke), with no good benefits. The upper managers are always threatening to fire people. Most of them are pricks who have no clue about how to answer a question (the district manager yelled at my store manager because he wanted to know if there was any way to identify if customer service was really the ones calling asking you to ship product without a bill-of-sale).
I hope it will get better with them being acquired by Men's Warehouse, but the upper management needs to go.

Work days are about 3-10 hours long (highly variable). It gave me good experience dealing with the highly variable customer base. I loved my co-workers, we felt like a team, I am still friends with most of them. The hardest part was dealing with the volatile managers and unstable income ($400 one week, $160 the next). I really loved the employees though and made some great friends in the customer base as well.
Pros
free tailoring
Cons
short/no breaks, unstable pay, grouchy bosses, snobby customers.
Very Challenging work enviroment with NO support
Management (Current Employee) –  Atlantic DivisionAugust 20, 2013
When I came to this company a year ago the mentality of management was to micro manage and constantly harass about sales and ask about things in store all the time.Management does not trust staff and wants managers in stores 24/7. It's all about phone calls to customers, email capture and corp accts. Marketing and promotions have failed so stores are forced to find customers. You are told to do it or be fired. Staff makes minimum wage at all levels below store manager. I will say they really want staff to take care of customers but don't care about staff. If company wants to do well they need better commission structure. Take draw away and pay lower % commission. Need sales contests and tier % commission. Presidents club is a joke for smaller markets. They need focus groups at store level and local marketing to drive location awareness. I've seen 10 managers leave in 10 months and attitudes are down.
Pros
clothing we sell
Cons
medical sucks, micro managing and lack of pay
manager was very rude, short, talks sooo much
Assistant manager in training to be manager (Former Employee) –  ArborlandSeptember 5, 2013
My typical day at JoS. Bank was a great way to meet people and gain the trust of the Customer in helping choosing the right fit and desire for them. Customer is always first to me. Last to Ann arbor. I thought I had found a great job. Loved it! But, beware the management is very raw. Manager on phone talking all the time. talking personal life and talking bad about customers. With out our wonderful Customer there would be no JOS. Bank! Moral so low. Manager not happy in life in general. So when she is not happy no one else could possibly be happy. I found the training awe full. Throw the "HOW TO BOOK" and learn. NO BREAKS! and wants you to train on your lunch! I do not suggest this job to any woman. Management in Ann Arbor only likes men. Women are to much competition for this particular store. Wish I would have saw the reviews before I started. WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME!
Pros
customers are great to work with and make your day.
Cons
management is aweful! unless your a man.
Awesome experience, cant wait to go back
Sales Associate Representative (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PASeptember 7, 2014
working at jos a bank was a great experience but after my accident in January prevented me from going back to work, my managers were the kindest and warm hearted people I ever met, after the accident the paramedics had to cut up my suit and my managers got together and bought me a brand new suit, if that isn't showing appreciation and love I don't know what is, being able to go into work and having a smile on your face knowing it'll be fun and interesting,
learned so much about suits, customers, getting something done for someone in a deadline and watching their face lite up is great,
my managers hands down best people I met,
hardest part about the job was folding the shirts back up
most enjoyable part was talking to the customers and workers and everyone having a smile on their face, at the worst days you would leave feeling a little better
Pros
great friendly environment, great workers, great deals, amazing managers
Cons
mens wearhouse bought them out
Extremely productive and fun atmosphere to work at.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYFebruary 13, 2015
My typical day and Jos. A. Bank. wasn't really ever a bad day. I loved my co-workers. They were fun to talk to and get to know. I worked for the best manager I have had to date in Jeff Candee. I learned a lot from my time at Jos. A. Bank. but the one thing that it taught me the most was patience. Normally I like working with customers. Especially the one's who didn't really know anything about suits. They were the most fun because they were hungry to learn about the products. However with every retail job everybody gets those customers who refuse to be happy. I let them vent most of the time and I just listen patiently and respond appropriately. That was the hardest part of my job but every customer is different. The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers. We were a great team and we just wanted to help each other out and I think that is extremely important for each retail store.
Pros
great atmosphere. made the job relatively stress free.
Cons
low pay. no break room.
Great Experience
Quality Control Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampstead, MDAugust 25, 2012
JoS. A. Bank is an excellent company for any one who is looking for an entry level job in the apparel industry. The energy is fast paced and salaried employees are expected to out in a lot of extra time. The learning curve is steep and you will find that you are thrown into situations that require quick thinking and decision making, maybe before you are ready for the responsibility! The Quality Control department works very hard to meet the demands of a company that is growing by leaps and bounds every year. Over 500 stores across the country need quality merchandise to be delivered on time. The hardest part of my job is meeting these demands with a limited staff and limited budget. The most enjoyable part of the job is supervising a staff of inspection auditors and being responsible for their development.
Pros
employee discounts, average salaries, bonuses, opportunit for growth and development, tuition reimbursement, vitality club
Good compensation 2nd half of year
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK, Penn Square MallOctober 3, 2014
Working at Jos A Bank Clothiers was very rewarding during the holidays, or really second half of the year with back to school. However, the first half of the year was very slow with volume lacking. Plus you end up paying yourself for base-pay, before the commissions start adding up. In other words, base-pay of $8.00/hr is first paid for out of commissions before they begin accumulating. That would not be a problem, if all you had to do is sell, but salespersons are also responsible for stocking, pricing, labeling, signage, and doing your own alterations, which means Jos A Bank gets a lot of free labor. When volume is high, the money is good, but the first half of the year volume drops considerably and you end up working for barely over minimum wage. Also, there is no training program to speak of, so you end up teaching yourself.
Pros
compensation is good during holidays and back to school
Cons
business volume drops off considerably from mid-january to end of july.
Multi-tasking environment with high-paced sales tactics and outstanding customer service
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 24, 2014
A typical day at work involves problem solving situations where customer satisfaction is always the desired end result, providing outstanding customer service through building trust during the sales process, and managing a small team of five or less while motivating them in a way that is best for business and the customer. I have learned the importance of staying focused while multi-tasking many different responsibilities and continue to exceed sales/customer expectations. The hardest part of the job is learning to be quick on your feet for an extended period of time. The prolonged hours of standing can be rough, but the high paced work environment makes time go by much faster. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to practice your sales technique every day, multiple times a day, and learning to perfect your style to its best potential.
Productive and friendly work environment, encourages teamwork in everyday store operations.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJune 17, 2014
A typical work day will consist of receiving stock from warehouse, making sure it is scanned into store inventory and then putting it out on the floor, selling our product to clients and maintaining a clean friendly environment. While working at the hoboken store i learned what it took to be an effective manager, from dealing with unruly customers, to disciplining inappropriate behavior from salesman. My coworkers were amazing and easy to get along with, even though the job is commission based, it never felt like it was an unhealthy competition for sales, everything was fair and hard earned. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with wedding parties especially if you are handling multiple parties. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing how satisfied customers are when they are happy with the results.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work!
Lead Sales Support/ Lead Stock (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJJanuary 18, 2013
A day at Jos A Bank is relatively easy. You come in do your work, deal with customers you see on a daily basis. I learned that customer relations are highly important in Jos A Bank. Once you build that clientele that only wants to deal with you everytime they come in. The Management at my location was awesome. As long as you werent breaking the law or disrupting customers, you could do as you pleased. No set daily schedules. My co-workers were always pleasant. I looked forward to seeing them each and every morning. The hardest part of the job was learning all the different types of suits and material types. I think the most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with customers everyday and just knowing that when they walked into those doors that they were looking for me and I knew exactly what they wanted.
Pros
hour lunch, could take short breaks
Cons
alot of work but not enough pay. pay was still great though.
Productive and fun workplace. Great people to work with.
Assistant Manager/Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Typically, the day would start reviewing what sales/promotions/projects were going on that day followed by selling, store maintenance, and daily/weekly projects such as freight and visual updates. I learned how to calmly and respectfully handle customer complaints and how to operate a power drill. I had an amazing management team who taught me that the store manager and assistant managers should never be above doing even the most menial task. I also had some great coworkers who became good friends. The hardest part of the job was knowing that my chances to grow within the company were very small as they did not promote from within at that time. I loved being in such a laid back environment where I could feel like accomplished something at the end of the day while being able to interact with people I enjoyed being around.
Low pay, long retail hours, low quality goods at a high price
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 10, 2013
It's a high-pressure sales job that requires long hours on your feet, a diverse skill set, and the ability to lie. Most of the items they sell fall apart after a few months and you have to lie about how they are high quality items that justify the high price tag. As a manager, they paid $9/hour vs 6% commission on a weekly basis. That means you only get commission once you outsell your hourly rate. If you're in a low income area (like East TN), don't expect to break commission every week. They run you to death and require a very high skill-set and then pay less than you'd make as a lower-level manager at McDonald's. P.S. Don't expect an employee discount. You get 40% off or whatever special is running at the time. The specials alternate between 70% and 75% off every few weeks. You pay what the customer pays, if you can afford it on what they give you.