JoS. A Bank Employee Reviews in United States

commision job
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCMay 25, 2016
working at Jos A Bank has been very interesting so far. We get paid on commission but the store is hardly ever busy, so it is a hit or miss with the sales.
Customer service out the window
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMay 25, 2016
Beginning with the purchase of Jos A Bank by The Mens Wearhouse in 2014 the company has shifted its focus away from Customer Service in favor of getting the highest average dollar trasaction per customer.
Productive and fun work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tinton Falls, NJMay 24, 2016
A typical day of work involved fitting and selling suits to customers. I learned to effectively sell items to customers.
I like my team
Tailor (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTMay 5, 2016
I am lucky that I have a good co-workers.
I have a wonderful management.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the grateful customer
Pros
Sometimes free pizza
Cons
I do not have any windows in my department
Rewarding work experience
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALApril 13, 2016
It was rewarding to make customers happy by helping them find the right products. There was opportunity for advancement. Managers were understanding, and easy to work for. However, they did not always posses the best managing skills in dealing with problems. Everyone was a pleasure to work with, and had the same goal of achieving high sales for the store. The turn over rate was high, and it was difficult to find quality employees. The pay was not great, and some of the procedures in place by the company made the job harder than it should have been.
Pros
Customer service experience, Rewarding job, Learning experience
Cons
Low pay for high job expectations, Not an overall great corporation
Ok place to work
Sales Associate and Tailor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, MAApril 9, 2016
The pay is not well but it is a great job for a high school student/graduate. Great to gain experience in the sales field. The job is not challenging and therefore can be boring at times.
Just cared about their work to be done.
Seamstress (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAApril 8, 2016
Management just cared to get their work done, always pushed, I could not take breaks sometimes and they were still not happy. Always did more then they asked, always changed what they wanted. Management got changed all the time.
Overall terrible company
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMarch 24, 2016
I'm just gonna list everything I feel is a joke about this company. And I hope somehow their corporate HQ reads this.

First off when I started working here it was great, I had management helping me, and the customers were awesome to work with.

I soon switched to a store located in Naples, FL. Worst mistake ever. Management was a joke. I was interviewed by the new regional for a full time position. The regional claimed that he "never hires anyone full time" until they prove them self otherwise... That was the first problem. Second problem was that somehow someway it took them over a week to get me into their computer system to be able to ring people out. A friend of mine worked at another location and went back to Banks around the same time and it took him a day to get his log in. So with no number, I had to work a week at $5 an hr with absolutely no commission or any reimbursement for the sales that I had lost. Not to mention, during that time, my so called "store manager" told me that he would be the one to help throw me some sales to make up for the lost money that first initial week back. Which he didn't. He never threw me a sale. He would take sales, knowing that he makes about 70K a year, but continued to take his 3% commission instead of helping me or anyone else in the store.

That was just the beginning. As time went on I started to learn that he didn't know his job one bit. He would have other managers close on certain days so he could have them do his paperwork. He would harass me about the other location I worked at, asking questions that did not pertain
  more... to his store or way of working. He would make you do uncomfortable things in the store with customers because that's how he felt it needed to be done. The best part was, he claimed and claimed that he was the reason that the store had turned around. Sadly every employee he has hired (that didn't work there before he came) has either walked out or quit. Before he came the store was doing about 1.8M a year, and about a 150% on travelers crease. Since then the store volume has dropped to about 1-1.2M a year and the travelers crease is at about 50%.

The one thing I found most interesting about this company though, is the lack of knowledge of their employee's at corporate. No background checks are done. NONE. No drug screenings are done. Absolutely nothing is done, and this is a corporate company! One of my managers was a child offender... HOW DO YOU LET SOMEONE LIKE THAT WORK IN A STORE? And let them work there for at least 2-3years none the less.

Ever since men's wear house bought them, things are a night mare. Terrible pay, and unhappy customers, with absolutely no way to make good money (unless you are working by yourself) and absolutely no room to grow and move up in the company.
Pros
None what so ever
Cons
Where do I begin?
Abandon Ship!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 15, 2016
Jos A Bank in in the process of liquidating almost 100 stores and closing their doors.
EVERYONE at Jos Bank is looking for a new job or just retiring. The Jos A Bank name and reputation is through.
It is a horrible work environment so don't even bother working there...but do wait for liquidation sales coming soon!
Pros
Weekly pay check
Cons
Total apathetic culture...
Better since Men's Wearhouse took over
Department manager (Current Employee) –  Hingham, MAMarch 14, 2016
If you can work with the public, have great taste in men's clothing and are ready to work very hard - Jos. A. Bank is a great place to work.
Easy place to work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXMarch 9, 2016
It is an easy and comfortable place to work in, however, the salary is not very competitive and you either get paid your hour salary or the commission not both. There is also not a lot of room for overtime or many growth potential within the store
Pros
easy going
Cons
not a lot of potential for growth
Nice place to work
Director of Inv. Control and Merch. Acctg (Current Employee) –  Hampstead, MDMarch 7, 2016
Great Co-workers and professional environment. Work/Life balance is pretty good most of the time. Relationship between corporate office and stores/warehouses is good.
Pros
Free Soda in the office
Nice working enviroment
seasonal Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Hampstead, MD 21074March 4, 2016
Great leadership, team work, and very organized.
I learned how to do different task in a warehouse.
Management was very professional.
Co-Workers was the Best team members.
The hardest part of the job was the traveling around the warehouse.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
location
productive but slow at times and not many hours
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Hampstead, MDMarch 3, 2016
good place to work. great coworkers to work with. slow at times and low hours. get to learn multiple jobs so not just standing around.
Job was ok. Got benefits and profit sharing
Clothing Stores (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 1, 2016
Head shipping clerk. Goods came in, I check it out and gave this info to asst. manager. Called main office and checked with them as well regarding goods we rec'd.
Pros
Profit sharing was great.
Very little consistency
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Hampstead, MDFebruary 25, 2016
Your typical workday consists of several of a plethora of tasks. One of the biggest experience points is finding out how to do your job with lack of mutual effort and understanding between management and employees, maintaining patience with erratic, changing, and often contradictory task flow. A very diverse and cultured workforce. Serious lack of job security (presumably) due to recent changes in ownership, and virtually no advancement seen through years-long employees.
Cons
Short breaks, unempathetic leadership
Interpersonal Company Culture
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 17, 2016
I started at the very bottom of this Company and quickly worked my way up to management. All of my supervisors were more of mentors and doers rather than the typical, assigned account managers. Their passion and commitment towards the foundation of the brands have inspired me to become a better trainer and sales director. I am looking forward to further advancing my career in multi-unit training and management. Passion always wins!
Pros
Life!
Cons
Death! This job is definitely for the young-spirited!
An easy, good job to have
Casual Associate (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAFebruary 12, 2016
A typical day at work involved shelving items that customers left behind as well as unpacking suits that were shipped to the store. I also did basic cleaning (i.e. cleaning mirrors, bathrooms, etc.) as well as dumping the trash.

Working there, I learned how to understand the sizing of suits and the types of dress shirts.

The management and co-workers were very nice and helpful.
Fun work enviroment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 11, 2016
Fun work environment, many workshops and meetings to keep one up to date with company changes. Extremely laid back and enjoyable workplace.
Awesome place!
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 6, 2016
Loved working with my co-workers, customers were mostly pleasant and always room for advancement was there for 2 month and promoted to a management position.
Pros
flexable schedule, lunches
Cons
yearly inventory count ;-)