JoS. A Bank

JoS. A Bank United States Employee Reviews

Difficult transition company still stuck in old fear based motivation
Store Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 23, 2015
Retail hours, great product to sell. No support from corporate JAB level. Assistant managers and sales associates are not compensated in a fair way and that needs to change. Atmosphere all depends on the store manager, some are great some are horrendous. Company does not do enough to promote a positive corporate culture. Use the "well its retail" line to excuse atrocious treatment of some employees and to justify a 75% turnover rate.

Hopefully change is coming with Mens Wearhouse merger but it has been slow and it is difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Good place to work if your management.
Sales Executive (Current Employee), MichiganApril 21, 2015
The Management at the store is good, but overall management does not care about the lower positioned workers which is causing big problems.
Fast paced work environment. Great for people with no lives or family.
Store Sales Manager (Current Employee), USAApril 11, 2015
Love meeting new clients and building relationships with them.
Co-workers are great. Great learning experience. Extremely long work hours, No life work balance. Do not get compensated for all the stress the company causes.
Fast paced,lively place to work,enjoyable work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), TexasApril 2, 2015
Overall working for Jos A Bank was a fair experience. The customers were always pleasant, the coworkers made the job what it is,a diverse group of people for a common goal.
Great customer service and high quality clothes
Store Manager (Former Employee), Dothan, ALMarch 30, 2015
A typical day at work is working with customers giving great customer service and making sure they leave happy. Called customers about sales and promotions.
very nice job to work.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Hampstead, MDMarch 26, 2015
love working at this job.very nice people to work with managers are very nice standing for a long time.some co-workers are not to nice but all an all good people i learned to be patient
a chance to make money but long hours
Sales Executive/ Key Holder (Current Employee), Scarsdale, NYMarch 9, 2015
shark tank, not for everyone gotta be very aggressive, long hrs very little consideration for employees wouldn't say it was a bad company but can improve in many areas
Sales
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 4, 2015
Pros: staffing.
Cons: healthcare
Jos A Bank is a great company to work for. I wish that the pay was better but overall a good experience. They know how to treat their employees with respect and dignity.
Higher-end clothing with slightly misleading pay scale
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Gastonia, NCMarch 4, 2015
Cons: this store manager was a great by the books salesman, but seriously lacked managerial and organizational skills.
The clothing is quite nice. However, the frequency of their sales diminishes the fine clothing aspect by always being on sale. There comes a time where people don't pay the normal price, when the know in a week they will get it 50%+ cheaper.
Also, their sales goal sounds reasonable when using the ticket prices of the items. But when you mark everything down 50%+, they goal becomes borderline unreachable, leaving the proposed commission pay addition void. Resulting in a work place driven by your salesmanship, for minimum wage.
Jos A Bank
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hampstead, MDFebruary 28, 2015
A basic day working here includes; answering phones, writing up complaints, following up with issues. Call volumes are very high at times so you have to make sure you stay on top of everything
Productive and fun workplace. Great people to work with.
Assistant Manager/Department Manager (Current Employee), Beaumont, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Typically, the day would start reviewing what sales/promotions/projects were going on that day followed by selling, store maintenance, and daily/weekly projects such as freight and visual updates. I learned how to calmly and respectfully handle customer complaints and how to operate a power drill. I had an amazing management team who taught me that the store manager and assistant managers should never be above doing even the most menial task. I also had some great coworkers who became good friends. The hardest part of the job was knowing that my chances to grow within the company were very small as they did not promote from within at that time. I loved being in such a laid back environment where I could feel like accomplished something at the end of the day while being able to interact with people I enjoyed being around.
Able to work with a company that allows you to manage your store with empowerment.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Commack, NYFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: close management team; rsd and store managers
Cons: would like to be able to have some say into what product we need more of to drive sales.
My overall day is to manage a group of salesman that are professional and provide the best customer service in the industry.
We are responsible for assisting our customer to be properly fitted in a quality suit along with having a comfortable experience when shopping.
Extremely productive and fun atmosphere to work at.
Department Manager (Current Employee), Clifton Park, NYFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere. made the job relatively stress free.
Cons: low pay. no break room.
My typical day and Jos. A. Bank. wasn't really ever a bad day. I loved my co-workers. They were fun to talk to and get to know. I worked for the best manager I have had to date in Jeff Candee. I learned a lot from my time at Jos. A. Bank. but the one thing that it taught me the most was patience. Normally I like working with customers. Especially the one's who didn't really know anything about suits. They were the most fun because they were hungry to learn about the products. However with every retail job everybody gets those customers who refuse to be happy. I let them vent most of the time and I just listen patiently and respond appropriately. That was the hardest part of my job but every customer is different. The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers. We were a great team and we just wanted to help each other out and I think that is extremely important for each retail store.
Extra Efforts Unrewarded
Department Manager/Keyholder (Current Employee), Lake Mary, FLFebruary 8, 2015
Very little or no incentive to perform duties other than what was expected. Commission structured so that none of my co-workers, including me, can ever reach commission level.
Management offers very little training on the ever-changing new procedures put into place. Very little respect for management.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being with my co-workers, whom I like very much.
Needs Improvement.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Littleton, COJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: free tailoring
Cons: short/no breaks, unstable pay, grouchy bosses, snobby customers.
The title says it all.
They want you to be sold out for their company, but pay you very low (commission is a joke), with no good benefits. The upper managers are always threatening to fire people. Most of them are pricks who have no clue about how to answer a question (the district manager yelled at my store manager because he wanted to know if there was any way to identify if customer service was really the ones calling asking you to ship product without a bill-of-sale).
I hope it will get better with them being acquired by Men's Warehouse, but the upper management needs to go.

Work days are about 3-10 hours long (highly variable). It gave me good experience dealing with the highly variable customer base. I loved my co-workers, we felt like a team, I am still friends with most of them. The hardest part was dealing with the volatile managers and unstable income ($400 one week, $160 the next). I really loved the employees though and made some great friends in the customer base as well.
Good but could use some improvement
Door Greeter (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: close to my school
Cons: not enough employees for clientel
The work was quite easy and the hours weren't too long however the lack of employment was a factor. There were plenty of times that there were much more customers than people to tend to their needs and questions, requiring me to pick up the slack. But besides that the days weren't too long and the location was convenient since my school was a couple blocks away. I also learned how to do customer service at a retail level and help manage inventory. I even had coworkers that were very courteous and attentive when it came to their jobs.
Terrible management
Department Manager (Former Employee), Park Ridge, ILJanuary 19, 2015
The best parts of this job was building customer relationships and customer service. We needed to build a clientele that we needed to follow up with and build trust with. The pay was absoutlely TERRIBLE for how much work we were doing. Most of the time you were pulling the weight of what three employees should be doing. I rarely was given a break/lunch and never given a raise or option to grow within the company.
Great people, bad company.
Marketing (Current Employee), Hampstead, MDJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: people are great
Cons: little pay or room for advancement
There are a ton of talented, amazing people that work there. However, they are underutilized, micro managed, and not paid well.
productive but not a professional workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Queenstown, MDJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: team members were awesome
Cons: new mangment
daily duties were assiting customers and stocking product.
the managment was new so they didnt quite know how things were done around the store and they disrespected all the workers who orginally worked there before them. Hardest part was adapting to the new managment and the easiest was still doing what i did best and assisted customers.
bad experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), 11th st nw washington, dcDecember 9, 2014
The managerial staff was incompetent and unprepared for the job. The staff was friendly to work with, a team envorinment.

1 2 3 4 5

About JoS. A Bank

Perfectly Suited Careers. As one of America's premier clothiers, Jos. A. Bank is the perfect fit for people with the passion – Read more

JoS. A Bank Salaries