Journal Communications Employee Reviews

Flexable with family needs
General Manager/ Publisher (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, Rapids, Point and WaupacaSeptember 1, 2015
I worked for Journal Community Publishing Group for 25 yeas. Great benefits, great salary and bonus plan. I was able to manage my properties with total autonomy . Great Company to work for.
Pros
flexable with family needs
Good learning experience
Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Franklin TennesseeAugust 6, 2015
I'm learning a great deal about balancing my workload day-to-day. Key skills I've learned so far would include time management and being able to properly manage numerous projects at once. The job doesn't involve design on a daily basis. Some days I might spend doing tasks related to gathering photos, organizing or moving files, or setting up documents that will play a part in the design of the magazine in the long run.

I've learned that there is a lot more going into the setup and organization of a project long before I ever open up InDesign to actually design it. This gives me perspective, and confidence in performing all sorts of tasks that lead to the end goal.

The job, once design is ready, can be very enjoyable for long stretches of uninterrupted concentration on a single project. I'm told that I've caught on and developed my talents in magazine design very quickly. It's beneficial that the days are varied with the types of tasks so that one single thing doesn't become repetitive.

The work environment is solid for the most part. The rest of the people on the creative team are fantastic, friendly and helpful coworkers. I couldn't ask for a nicer group of people, including my very hard working and dedicated boss. Having some time to chat with my coworkers in a laid back environment is the best part of the day.
Pros
Great coworkers, healthcare, varied tasks, magazine design, nice office space, relatively new equipment
Cons
Lack of growth financially from what I'm told, overwhelming workload some days, miscommunication sometimes
Great Managers
Credit Collector/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 12, 2014
Really enjoy my position at the Journal. My Management team is great. I enjoy the variety in my job and like the Media company.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
merger
No advancement, not a welcomeing job
Mailer (Former Employee) –  Burnham Milwaukee WIApril 27, 2014
You get hired if you land a interview no doubt,the people who are up higher like management in supervisor they dont help you out if your struggling they just look at you as if you were dumb, they also look down on you in there favoritism, all of the supervisors are fascist for sure, they have one supervisor who was a journey man who pics on people in make workers he don't know do all kind of work in he will sit in talk to other coworkers in watch u instead of having those coworkers help. Over all this is a place that shouldn't be hiring new people cus they half train then fire you when there's no work so be careful in don't expect this to be a long term job!
Pros
pay 10.00 3rd shift only
Cons
no hours, 2)3 days out a week, poor management
Fun place to work, poor distribution
Integrated Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 9, 2013
Journal offers great benefits. but you need to know your place and be there a while to see your reward.

The hard work pays off you just need patience
Sales
Integrated Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNSeptember 20, 2013
An Integrated Media Manager travels within a community or throughout the state to deliver marketing and branding opportunities to existing or new clients by finding what best suits their needs.
The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting different people and learning more about corporations and their marketing needs.
Newspaper Is Becoming Obsolete
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WIDecember 3, 2012
 Generated incremental revenue through effective sales presentations and proposals
 Launched new product lines to new and existing advertisers
 Project leader for multiple team initiatives
 Negotiated annual revenue contracts for print and online marketing
 Oversaw client’s weekly/monthly/annual spending and adjustments
Pros
largest newspaper in city
Cons
not a stable company with major layoffs each year
Fun place to work
Integrated Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 31, 2012
A typical day includes 7-8 appointments and 25-30 calls. I give a 20 minute sales pitch and uncover the needs of the potential advertiser. I manage my self in the field, but get great guidance from the sales manager. I enjoy time with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is getting the appointments, the most enjoyable is getting the sale.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
in tennessee
The company is NOT as good as advertised. Please check around and try to read reviews prior to making a commitment to this company
Integrated Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNMarch 28, 2012
In the beginning, you will feel this company is all that's advertised however, after being there for a while, you will quickly understand the culture of the company is to get sales out of its sales people quickly and recycle you out the door. The company gives a lot of "back end" incentives to dangle a carrot so to say, but their mentality is for you NOT to be there at the end. Although this may sound like a bitter employer review, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, understand, this company is NOT who they say they are. There is a lot of cold calling and telemarketing that you are not told about in the interview and sales school, as they call it. You will be blind sided as the weeks and months progress. This is a very honest review so do with it what you must. I truly wish I would have known prior to joining their glitz and glory atmosphere only to be sadly disappointed with their work ethic as a company.
Pros
fun environment but only for the honeymoon period, "churn and burn" mentality
Cons
company is very deceptive, practices are unethical, for sales people, be very careful when accepting a position
Great Product, Poor Distribution, Poor compensation, extreme travel!
Integrated Media Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 12, 2012
Journal Communications produces a top notch quality, one of the best in the business. Unfortunately, the distribution of the product is poor so many advertisers don't get to reap the benefits of promoting their brand to a target audience. Sales representatives are the face of the company but not compensated for what they produce for several months. Also, certain projects are better, and higher paying then others, but throughout a year, you will have to work several poor projects.
Pros
excellent product, great opportunity to travel
Cons
poor commission structure, small base (draw), poor product distribution