Journey's

Journey's Employee Reviews

Fun workplace Eveeryone got along well.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mays Landing, NJJanuary 15, 2015
I Love working for Journey's, there was never a dull moment. There is always something to do to keep you on your feet. My manager was always very understanding about anything & she never made any feel like they were below her. A typical day would be clock in, & get to work; such as attend the customers, grab the shoes from the stock room, make sure customers are comfortable in there new shoes, ring them up at the register, and greet them to always come back. Hardest part of the job I would say for me would be trying to remember the sequence of how the stock numbers went for the shoes. Best thing would be to just always have something to laugh at with my co-workers. Great people.
Fairly easy with a lot of pressure to sell
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Woodburn, ORJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: being extra pushy to sell shoes
Overall working at Journey's is a very non-challenging job to have. Their sales techniques are very pushy, but easy to follow as an employee. The management puts a lot of emphasis on meeting your sales goals and if not met then you tend to get written up, but it's not difficult to achieve them. The co-workers are very friendly and a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job is probably forcing yourself to be friendly to all the customers, even if they seem uninterested in your help. The most enjoyable part would probably be the workers. Like a fore mentioned are very friendly and almost always have a positive attitude.
Fun work place, loved it
Co-manager (Former Employee), White Plains,NYJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: hour lunches
Cons: i worked an average 65 hours a week
I started out as a sales associate, within three weeks of my employment I was promoted to assistant store manager. I was responsible for opening up the registers when I opened, printing the paperwork from the night before filing them and sending morning email to district. Once I opened the store I would overview the transfers that have to be sent to different store and some personal online orders. As the time passes and customers enter the place of establishment, I would give my undivided attention asking them "If they needed any help?" "Would they like to see that in a size?" informing them about the different types of shoes we have. What is on sale, what is a new product, the shoe care we had, demonstrating how it is used. I would offer pairs of socks to go with specific shoes. placing online orders for certain customers etc. On days that I closed the store, when it came time to close I would count out 2 registers, make sure they had an even til, for the closing shift and the opening shift. I would send nightly email, productivity, weekly pay-roll and I would also select candidates to hire. I would delegate to associates to help with the business and customers as well as themselves.
great people fun to get to know different personalitys
Sales associate (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CADecember 4, 2014
it was fun getting to know our coworkers bonding great talking to customers about stuff we sell love giving them information about the product
Challenging but fun place work at
Sales Representative/ Stock (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 24, 2014
Super hyperactive place to work in, ,must have alot of energy to work here. I learned dedication and endurance in this job. Managed most of stock with the help of other stock members in the floor. awesome coworkers liberal at dress code but never disrespectful. The hardest part of the Job was taking on the Double or Triple shifts.
The most enjoyable part of the Job was coming to work.
Great job for a kid
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 21, 2014
Pros: working in the mall
Cons: standing
If you want to work 100 hours per week and this is a great job. Checks will be nice until you realize that you only average about 8 to 9 dollars per hour but after all the hours you work you can make over a grand as a co manager
Best Job I Ever Had
Co-Manager (Current Employee), West Des Moines, IANovember 21, 2014
It was always something different and kept me on my toes.
The best part of the job was being able to manage all of the part timers and watch their sales goals improve just by helping them and giving them pointers.
productive and fun place to work at and get to know co-workers and customers
Cashier (Former Employee), San Mateo, CANovember 19, 2014
Pros: meeting new people everyday, getting along with customers, and having something to do all the time
Cons: not a lot of people would come
I would re-stock the shoes , fix the back room, and then come to sells for sales shoes. There would be a specific goal to make for that day and everybody has to make it. The hardest part of the job would be making the goal for the day or the week because some days would be slow. The most enjoyable part of that job would making small talk to the customers when selling shoes to them.
do not work here
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2014
I worked here throughout high school and it was the worst experience. Very unprofessional managers.
I enjoyed this type of work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Kingston, MANovember 13, 2014
I like working with the general public and working as an assistant manager at a shoe store offered a great deal of that.

It was very difficult to juggle having a life outside of work being in a retail management position. There was only one other manager beside myself, and someone always had to be there. There were times when I would go weeks on end without a single day off, my time with my family all but disappeared, and working on commission made it extremely hard to make ends meet when sales were down.

All employees under me had sales goals and quotas that had to be met, as well as my own sales goals. The employees were hourly, so they didn't have to work as hard as I did to make my paychecks. I did have a base salary, but the bulk of my pay came from commissions.
My Review on Journey's/Genesco
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXNovember 11, 2014
Pros: many breaks throughout the day, close to home, and the ability to meet and work with new people.
Cons: working no less than 10 hrs for 6 days of the week, only commission, very little time at home.
A typical day at Journey's included a fast pace work environment, a vast variety of customers and styles to cater to, Possibly putting up Shipment in the back room, and many different routine duties for all employees to finish before the end of their shifts. I've personally learned a majority of my work skills from this company as all of my experience came from working at Journey's for a long period of time. Management is very strict on the goals we had set for our employees, always looking out for what's best for the company. The hardest part of the Job would be meeting sales goals when there's no sales being made. Retail is a seasonal job (Christmas, etc.) It can be difficult to make sales when there is no demand for the product. The most enjoyable part of the job is when sales are being made, of course. Days seem shorter, time passes quickly, the store is making money, and so are you.
New management is atrocious
SALES ASSOCIATE JOURNEY'S (Former Employee), New Hartford, NYOctober 15, 2014
I would assure that all display were out and arranged properly, stock any new incoming shipments, greet customers, answer questions about products, sell shoes, and cash-out customers. I learned how much I love working in retail. Old management was terrific, but new management was always trash talking all the employees and breaking rules of the company by leaving part-time employees in the store alone. Co-workers were great. Hardest part of the job was dealing with management; easiest part was selling shoes.
Just a regular retail job.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Danville, VAOctober 13, 2014
You are normally pressed for impossible sale goals unless it's the holidays. You pretty much have a 3 month window before you are kicked back out on the streets. The commission sales system is extremely flawed especially for the low pay and little-to-no hours.

Fun environment, however.
Productive up-beat environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Canutillo, TXSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: happy fun and up-beat environment
Cons: managment fluctuation
Working at Journey's I bounced between shifts. I always Greeted the customer as they entered our store. I would pitch any sales we had going on and then assist the with picking the right product for them. I always followed the 4 on the floor policy we had which stated "Take 4 different products to the customer even if they only ask for one" which was an upselling technique. I would cash out the customers and keep our sales floor and back stock room clean. I learned how to pitch sales and upsell at this job. The hardest part was memorizing the inventory in the stock room. I really enjoyed the up-beat environment. My co-workers were fun and always happy. At the time I worked there the management was fluctuating a lot. Some were good, but others seemed to be new to management.
okay agency
Family Living Provider (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: management was consistant.
Cons: i had a hard time getting paid at the end due to bankrupt.
worked from my house, individual whom lived with me and my family I provide global personal care, I taught him to help with caring for himself, taught him to do chores in the house. I found volunteer jobs so he could learn job skill. I supervised his day community staff, and his respite provider. I learned all kinds of different way to teach, and how to deescalate aggressive behavior. A couple different supervisors, the first on was more supportive. the hardest part was having to travel to Albuquerque for trainings, and to pick up my check. while working with individual and you see he learned something new.
Super fun, fast paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Portage, MIAugust 25, 2014
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: the pay for part time associate isn't great
Upbeat place to work at, co workers are all about teamwork and the managers want you to succeed as much as you do!
Fun workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Independence, MOAugust 24, 2014
it is a great job, I have a lot of fun there I get a great discount on shoes and its amazing
Great Job Opportunity
Sales Associate (Current Employee), PRAugust 21, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Just excellent :)
Journey's changed my life, Great experience and great company for practice your costumer service.
productive and fun
Cashier/sales associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 16, 2014
everyone did there part, making sure that every customer was helped or asked if they need help with an item they wanted to try on.
everyone was at least helping 3 customers at a time.
Journey's Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 15, 2014
Slow Mornings.
I've learned how to compose schedules, hire a good team, monitor inventory.
I've worked with many different people.
The hardest part of my job was working with sneaky managers that lied and treated people unfairly.
The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the satisfaction of customers

About Journey's

Journeys, a division of Genesco, is a destination retailer for footwear and accessories for the teen market. With more than 323 – Read more

Journey's Salaries