Journeys Kidz

Journeys Kidz Employer Reviews

Great work environment, huge advancement opportunities
Manager (Current Employee), Olympia WashingtonFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: great discount, guaranteed hours, benefits
Cons: no home life, not paid enough
I am currently in a management position with a Jouneys Kidz. A typical day involves daily store operations (paperwork, scheduling, shipping and receiving) working with employees to improve their selling abilities, and keeping the store in grand open ready condition. I learned a lot about myself while working for this company as they give you full reign of your store until you need help or start to fall behind. This is a performance based job, so your hours and job security are based on your own performance and the stores performance as a whole. I was able to essentially pick my co-worker since I am in charge or hiring and interviewing so they are all great!! The hardest part of the job is the compensation. The company offers a great benefits package and paid vacation after a year of employment, however if you are working in a lower traffic store you will be making minimum wage most of the year as the positions are all commission rated. Essentially, on paper I am worth as much to Journeys as a part time seasonal associate. I am not paid any more that my part time employees and also have all the responsibilities of the store manager. You are required as a part of the management staff to work a minimum of 45 hours a week, so say goodbye to your social life. You will end up working more than that.
Promote from within
Store Manager (Former Employee), Olympia, WAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: breaks, bonuses, coworks
Cons: write ups
A typical day at work consisted of analyzing daily paperwork, balancing the registers, managing inventory, assisting customers, and supervising staff. Management is very strict at times. If you do good there are possiblities of bonuses. The staff is more like a big diverse family rather then coworkers!
Fun job for anyone willing to sell their soul to a company
Manager (Former Employee), Saint Peters, MOJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great discount, fun
Cons: no life outside of work, management works no less than 45 hours a week, sometime up to 60 hours, paychecks aren't steady for management (work on commission)
Working for Journeys/Journeys Kids is a pretty stressful job. Although the environment is fun and friendly, the pressure of working on commission and the goals you have to make is insane. The associates are measured by 3 things: Selling multiple pairs of shoes to a customer, selling socks, and selling accessories. The company takes that VERY seriously. And as for management specifically, they get one day off a week (NEVER a weekend), which makes the work/life balance very 75/25. The discount was fantastic (40%) which could be used at many different stores, and I did learn a lot about shoes while working there. My favorite part of the day was measuring kids' feet and getting them a few new pairs of shoes. I looked forward to see the smiles on their faces, and I was great at making everyone happy.
LOW PAY
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Midland, TXNovember 11, 2014
The job culture made up for a lack of pay. The job itself barely paid for the gas it cost to get to and from work on a daily basis. There were often very late nights with little reward. Always had amazing co workers, however at one point i was training all of our new employees without so much as a pay raise.
Always busy
Part time sales associate (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 9, 2014
Although it was a very fast paced environment , i still had a chance to meet and speak with all different kinds of people.
Going to work was always a pleasure.
its okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Northridge, CAAugust 17, 2014
lots of things could suck
management is a toss up alot of manager kinda suck
but the environment is cool
Fun work place
Co-Manager (Former Employee), National City, CAJune 6, 2014
Pros: first look at new shoes
Cons: minimum wage.
supervised the store as a co-manager, I learned to keep track of large amounts of cash. My team was outgoing. What I enjoyed most is the cashier part where I can count the money and give change.
Great atmosphere for parents and kids
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Omaha, NEApril 14, 2014
Pros: cute kids, great co-workers
Cons: not many hours, minimum wage salary
Journeys Kidz is a great shoe store with an environment perfect for parents and their kids! The staff are amazing and get along well with each other and the customers. A typical work day for an employee is after clocking on, you check your daily goal, amount you need to sell, then start helping customers by introducing yourself and finding out what they are looking for. Then once you start pulling shoes from the stock room, you try to make the sale. The hardest part of the job is making your sales goal on super slow days. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the looks on the kids' faces when they find a pair of shoes they love and their parents say ok to buying them.
great workplace
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Deptford, NJMarch 5, 2014
i love working with children and the people whom work there also enjoy selling
All in All eh
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bay Shore, NYJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: easy rules to comply to
Cons: manager was not fair.
Working in retail has its ups and downs. These last few months haven't gone well with this company due to a new manager. i worked for this store almost 3 years and the new manager decided to cut my hours just because. I did my job well.
Productive, but poor management in some parts
Sales Associate, Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: made lifelong friends
Cons: poor management, could not keep employees, constant change in pay
Overall my experience with the company was very rewarding. It took a long while for my promotion and although I would like to say it was worth it, it wasn't. I was taken advantage of to the highest extent. If it weren't for the good friends I made along the way I really don't think I would have stayed there as long as I did.
Fun overall work environment, however not many opportunities for advancement.
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Dublin, OHJanuary 11, 2014
I was hired in a sales associate with the knowledge that once there was a change in management I would move up in the store. As Co-Manager I was treated more or less as just a glorified sales associate. Schedules were set by the district manager, myself and the store manager has very little say in how the store progressed.
High leveled, competitive work enviorment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Concord, NCJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: high leveled work, good benefits.
Cons: short breaks, not enough work hours, low pay rate.
I love this job, I just wish it would pay more and there would be more opportunities to advance and get better hours.
Journeys kidz sales associate
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMDecember 26, 2013
Pros: customers, music, environment, products
My typical day was walking into the store and seeing the gleaming faces of my co-workers. Parents would come in with their kids looking for shoes they both could enjoy, whether it was for school or style. I would ask them general questions about what they were looking for, I would then measure their foot, and bring back a select styles. I was responsible for a lot of tasks such as running the register, doing exchanges and returns, helping customers, cleaning and closing the store. If we had a new employee I would train them for the week and show them how to stock shoes, how to approach and help customers, and using the register. I learned how to work as an individual and as a team member. I gained the skills management,communication, troubleshooting, and performance.
My manager was a great person. He really knew how to manage the store in a fun and efficient manner. He was fair and always pushed me to do better as a sales associate. My co-workers and I were a team. We would constantly help and assist each other so we can make goal. We made each other hard workers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the overall experience I gained. I learned how to be a manager. Working here gave me so much an passion and drive when it came to making a store successful. It wasn't about the money it was about giving our customers what they wanted.
Love the environment, customers and job responsibilities.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 15, 2013
Pros: the people i got to meet and help
Cons: working 80 hours per week for two months without a day off and no help open to close
Outstanding work environment and Co-Workers.m
Opening the store an hour and 1/2 early to do all opening duties e.g. banking matters, daily sales paperwork, employees goals and sales figures. Check emails and respond to emails, check the store to make sure it was grand opening ready before I opened the gates.
Follow company policies when selling to customers, and training employees.
Fun experience, fun co workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kennewick, WASeptember 30, 2013
Atmosphere is really fun, but hours are not consistent, and punished if the few days you worked in a month ended up being slow thus giving you bad sales numbers, and not allowing you meet store standards.
working at jk
CO- MANAGER (Former Employee), kennewick WAAugust 9, 2013
was always a great working enviorment. we would provide great custoer service. i was an assistant manager so every da was a hassel but i always commited to getting the job done.
GREAT WORK PLACE
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 28, 2013
 Assist store manager in the overall operations, maintenance and morale of the store
 Conduct frequent assessments on commitment and development of all associates
 Organized priorities to accomplish sales and profit goals
 Conduct accountability of funds before opening and after closing of store
 Handled large orders of merchandise and special order price changes
Fun job but small store
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Montgomeryville, PAMay 6, 2013
Pros: fun, exciting, new people
Cons: no room to improve, more than 45 hours aweek
My days would start with daily paper work, helping customers and selling product. I learned to run a store and count down registers and deposits. I learned how to make schedules and do inventory. Higher Management would leave a list of task and goal to accomplish. The hardest part of my day would be making daily sales goals. It was a very easy going and fun job. The best part of my day would be the interesting customer that I would encounter through my shift and helping them with there specific needs.
fast paced and fun
Manager (Current Employee), Greenville, SCMay 1, 2013
Pros: shoe discounts
Cons: long hours and difficult costumers
At Journeys Kidz, everyday is different, because every kid is different. One minute, you might have twins throwing a tantrum because you're out of their favorite shoes, but the next you have a five year old earnestly dragging you across the by one finger to show you their "super favorite thing!"

the staff is usually small, and tend to become like family.