Journeys Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2016
Genesco is a great company. I worked for Journey's shoes. I had a good experience there for the most part. The environment was very relaxed and sell driven. A typical day at Journey's as a Store Manager, i'd open the store check around to make sure everything this is Grand ready, count the registers to make sure they are even and get change if need be and jump ahead of any work I may have during the day so I could focus most of my time on selling.

I learned how to sell at Journeys. At Journeys I was base pay and commission so I had to make my check my self. I learned how to get persuade people into spending all their money. I had an amazing work relationship with both my boss and staff. The hardest part of my job was really counting the entire store when it was time to do inventory.

The most enjoyable part about my job was being motivated to see how much I could sell. I thrived off of the hustle of seeing if I could persuade customers to buy and I was pretty good at it.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, Non Flex Schedule
Be prepared to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 6, 2016
Every night, weekend, and holiday. I've been with other retailers and no one quite expects you to work quite as much as Journeys. I learned a lot with the company about managing which I will always appreciate. You make a base salary plus commission. So essentially anything you work over 40 hours you make 2.50 an hour roughly if you aren't selling... But you're required to work 6 days a week which ends up making your overall paychecks hourly wage go down. If they didn't expect us to work so much the company wouldn't have such a high turn over rate.
Minimum pay for maximum work
Retail Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJanuary 23, 2016
I worked at Journeys for 11 months. I was promoted to manager because I was the only one who had the skills to do so. From the minute I was promoted I was told by the District Manager that I was going to fail and when I didn't, he tried to relocate me to failing stores. I would work 50-70 hours per week and was barely making minimum wage. When I requested off for my mother's wedding I was told no, then when the store manager covered my shift so I could attend, we were both punished and written up for it. I was promised a raise after my first 90 days and when I asked about it I was told I wasn't getting one and was given multiple excuses regarding the decision. I put my two week notice in, worked past my two week notice, then was told I was not rehireable. I stayed with the company as long as I did because of my loyalty to my job and did not quit until I was offered another job elsewhere. I would not recommend this job to anyone and I would not return to this company if offered a position.
Pros
discount on shoes, talking to customers
Cons
every other part of the job
Fun work environment with extremely long hours
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJDecember 21, 2015
A typical day at work begins at about 8am and ends at about 6pm, the reason I can only provide an approximate time period is because I was often forced to stay and work overtime, which I do not mind at all, until I realized I was working 70 hours a week without the necessary pay. Overall, I enjoyed the jobs perks but it's becoming extremely stressful to go to work everyday, especially when management is not treating any employees with respect and my salary requirements are not met.
Pros
Made life-long friends, freedom of self- expression
Cons
disrespectful management, long hours
A bi-polar enviroment
Being a retail associate means strictly business (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INDecember 4, 2015
In my experience as a retail associate, I realized that you can't trust a salesman, nor can you befriend them. Very self indulged individuals, set on being better than everyone and not minding getting someone removed that they feel is a threat. However, I did learn how to manage my time and how to talk to people in whatever mood they were in, to bring them up and smile. Which, in the long-run made my day a lot better. The hardest part about my workday was, organizing the shoes in order. It would take hours and sometimes days to organize the back room. Boxes, some empty some full, all over the place constantly, could make a sane person lose it. But, all in all it was a decent experience.
Pros
Social advancement.
Cons
No healthcare benefits.
Good learning experience, but not a good fit for my future
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 21, 2015
Journeys provided an excellent insight to the managerial expectations in the retail industry. In addition to overseeing the work of employees, I actively pursued sales and consistently exceeded my sales goals.

Ultimately, I left Journeys because when I compared my average paycheck to the average hours I worked (approximately 60 hours a week), I was in fact making less than minimum wage.

The compensation simply did not justify the work put in. In addition, this work schedule eliminated any possibility of me taking college classes either on campus or online to complete my bachelor's degree.
Pros
Face to face customer service opportunities, direct involvement with the store and its employees
Cons
Low payment for high work expectations, variable scheduling, limited advancement opportunities
Great enviornment but management was always changing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CANovember 17, 2015
A typical day at work I would clock in ready to assist a customer as I would help a customer I was required to bring four pairs of shoes to each customer along with a pair of recommended socks and accessory such as a shoe cleaner, wallet, shirt, etc. During my shift I would spend an hour opening shipment or organizing the stock room. If there was any down time I would fix the store by displaying any new shoes we had. I learned people skills, cashier skills, time management skills, multitasking skills, and salesmanship skills. Management wasn't that great because we went through four managers in the first 6 months that I was hired. My co-workers were hardworking and energetic. The hardest part about my job was my worth ethic because I would finish all my tasks and have a lot of down time. Exceeding my sales goals.
Pros
40% discount on shoes
Cons
No health benefits
Entertaining and decent job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHNovember 2, 2015
At the Elyria Midway Mall you can run into some strange encounters and you'll deal with quite a bit of theft in your store but the hardest part about the job was meeting your sales goals because of how many customers you would get on a daily basis. You have weekly goals and if you didn't meet them you would get written up. So there was a lot of pressure. I learned a lot about shoes and socks though which I still use to this day. (3 years later).. In the year that I worked at Journeys I had 4 managers, 3 of them were fantastic and then I had a manager named Ally who told me in a meeting between the two of us that she did not like to work with woman.. shortly after this conversation all the women that worked there were fired and I was the last one. I ended up quitting because she would schedule me 7 hours a week. But besides her I had awesome managers and coworkers. You become quite the family
Pros
discounts around the mall!
Cons
no benefits
Fun seasonal retail store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIDecember 7, 2015
The days would start out slow but there are always things to organize and lace up. I learned the value of sales, the varieties of shoes/sandals, and the organization of a backroom of a shoe store. My co-workers made the job fun, we are all young and upbeat. The hardest part of the job would be getting through the day, especially off season, when its not as busy as the holidays. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the new shipments of shoes and being able to sell them to customers.
Pros
Indoors, upbeat
Cons
No benefits
Lively Atmosphere & Better People
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 20, 2016
Working for Journeys was a great experience. It taught me a lot about interacting with people, statistics and customer service. Not to mention, attaining experience in Management. Organization, operations, sales, and scheduling efficiently all plays a part in a Management role in Journeys. Building a strong and loyal staff is crucial because you're only as strong as your team. Learning different ways to approach and treat different people. Adapting to different areas and culture to be the most productive. Analyzing data and reports to capitalize on the volume of the store. Conducting audits, LP counts and monthly meetings. Maintaining healthy relationships with customers, merchandisers, staff and other managers is vital because it creates a sense of community and residual income. Meeting and exceeding goals is the main objective, unless you don't want to be recognized.
Pros
Internal growth, staff, freedom, self-expression strongly encouraged
Cons
Long hours, minimal pay, constant pressure to sell, unrealistic goals at times, lacks structure overall.
Fun, exciting, fast-paced retail space with extremely long hours
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXDecember 17, 2015
I loved working for Journeys. The company fosters a culture of personal expression and growth in both their customers and their employees.

They have a heavy focus on "promote from within", to the point I went from Sales Associate to Store Manager in a matter of six months.

With the right people on your team, this will be the best job you'll ever have, but you better hope you do have the right people. because you could be working anywhere from 60 - 80 hours during peak seasons.
Pros
Healthcare, fun environment, focus on personal growth, idealistic people
Cons
Long hours, neglectful upper management, no work/life balance
Fast
CO-MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDNovember 10, 2015
The management was concerning.
Typical day was working with customers and figuring out their wants and needs while also making a sale.
Very enjoyable. If the management was better this could have been a great company to climb the ladder in.
Pros
salary plus commision
Cons
management
An attitude you can wear!!!!
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 26, 2016
The culture at Journeys is amazing. You will find none better. The only downfall is they want you to live at work and have no personal time. They only care about how much money you can put in their pockets and don't care how much money they put in yours. The pay is okay but as a full time employee you can definitely earn more money else where for the time and hard work you put in. It does offer a competitive but fun environment for it's employees. But dealing with upper management outside the store is a pain in the butt that shouldn't be a pain. And don't ask for help because they will not give it to you until it is almost to late for the store to recover.
Pros
Culture, people, customers and tasking
Cons
want you to live at work and have no personal time, management don't really care for you and only care about money
it was a productive and fun working enviroment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMarch 25, 2016
The average day for me was fairly simple weather I was working shipment or on the sales floor. I learned many thing from journeys such as communications skills with other, cashier and how to be productive and fast while working with multiple customers at once. The management there was great they were helpful and firm and also understood the importance of school. As for the co workers they were of great help as well. They engouraged others to do their best and were willing to work with others to help where some fell short. The hardest part of the job was clocking out at the end of each day. The most enjoyable part was watching a customer come in and leave happier then they were before.
Productive workplace
Journeys (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 11, 2016
A typical day at work is making sure you clock in and good costumer service for the rest of the day. Making sure the customer finds his/ her item and making sure the customer is satisfied with the item and your approach. What i have learned is how to persuade and satisfy a customer. The management of the job was very understanding and help those that weren't that experienced to become very good at the job they had. The co-workers were also understanding and everyone were team workers. The hardest part of the job was not snacking because when you are on your feet for a maximum amount of time you begin to feel hungry. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was always busy.
Pros
understanding
Cons
Short breaks
An Attitude You Can Wear
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLOctober 7, 2015
As a Co manager the hardest part of the job is lack of social life. The hours are 9-5 , 12-9. Numbers are a MUST. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere. Its relaxed and laid back,you work with an awesome group of people and you have fun. Its easy to grow in the company and they love to promote from within which is a plus.
Pros
Promotes from within, benefits
Cons
Hours
energetic and fun place with wonderful people
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJuly 20, 2016
honestly working at journeys is so much fun. all of the people working have so many different types of personalities it's so great. the whole store is full of energy. the store manager is like a second mom to all of us and she's also pretty young so she understands us. the co-managers are so funny and fun and basically the whole staff is a giant family. the sales associates are so funny and friendly we always joke around with each other. the best thing about working at journeys is the fact that we set things up as a funny fun competition. we always help each others with sales and if we don't have an answer to something. the only i guess hard thing is the stock room, but once you get the hang of it you'll know exactly where everything is.
Pros
discounts, new friends
Cons
ton of shipment, unrealistic expectations
Kind and inviting workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day consists of "facing" (cleaning and arranging) the store, greeting and helping customers, selling shoes, using cash register to make sales, and (if working until close) cleaning the floors and general cleaning. During my time at Journeys Kidz I have grown in my knowledge of sales tactics and my interaction with customers, especially small children. The management is very nice and communicative with all the employees. The co-workers in the store are very professional and have never had a problem with anyone. The hardest part of my job is keeping the store clean during hectic times. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers, especially the children.
Pros
Good environment, enjoyable job over all
Cons
Lower pay, fewer hours than I would like
Great Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 23, 2016
Journeys is a great starting point for individuals interested in developing sales skills. Starting in a part-time position, you will learn selling steps to reach sales goals and how to effectively communicate with customers. The management will depend on location. Because managers are often hired at a young age, some will not be quite suitable for the job. Manager and co-managers of each store usually change frequently until a good fit is found, which is at times frustrating. The hardest part of this position is making expected goals. Employees that do not perform to the company's standards will be cut. On a positive side, this company is fun to work for a holds a great amount of learning potential. On a side note, the 40% discount is a great perk.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Knox County, TNJuly 24, 2016
- I learned how to provide customer service.
- Personally, I thought the hardest part of the job was executing the "Four on the Floor" policy, which entailed bringing out three extra pair of footwear to accompany the shoe originally requested by the customer. Many times this caused the customer to become uncomfortable if uninterested in additional shoes. It also resulted in a build up of unorganized shoes needing restocking.
- The training program for the Sales position was interactive and educational, leaving one with great familiarity regarding the stores operations, customer interaction, company policies, and product knowledge.
Pros
VIbrant/energetic atmosphere
Cons
Small sales floor can quickly become cramped