JoVE Employee Reviews

Fast-growing company perfect for results-based people
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 25, 2017
JoVE is a company that is challenging the statis quo in a long-lived industry: scientific publishing. It is in the company's DNA to do things differently, and while it grows and takes a bigger market share from that very traditional industry, the management is acutely focused on results and the bottom line.

It's not great for clock punchers who just want to show up, perform job functions, and go home. It's still a new company and it's a very hungry environment. If you're looking to comfortably coast, JoVE is not the place for you.

It IS great for people who are willing to bet on their own success, and can back up their methods with results. The company almost exclusively promotes from within, so there is a very good chance to grow your career into management at JoVE. Management identifies internal talent and takes an interest in individuals. You're rarely - if ever - asked to work more than 40 hours ... but those 40 hours are expected to make an impact.

The culture at JoVE is kind of 'Ever Forward' - it currently has a competitive advantage, and management is keenly aware that advantage won't last forever. There is no resting on laurels, but there is the celebration of success. There are often Friday afternoon beverages and refreshments after good months or quarters, and there are weekly company-wide socials with food and a chance to chat with coworkers.

The benefit package is fantastic - the health insurance is by far the best I've ever had. 401K, Dental, etc. are all top notch too. It's also by far the most diverse company I've ever worked for - when success
  more... is based on the quality of the work, that is the result.

If you're the sort of person who wants recognition and advancement because his or her work is standing out and it's making an impact, you'll do well at JoVE.
Pros
Hard work is rewarded, amazing benefits, good people, diverse office
Cons
Results-based focus can be stressful at times
Great Product
Midwest Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 11, 2017
Great product but the management team has limited experience in managing a company. Training is none and support is very limited if want to grow your career.
Not a nice place to work
Director of Sales - U.S.A (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 30, 2016
Impossible to achieve expectations. Sales staff all on edge and CEO believes in intimidation and threats as form of motivation. A lot of talented people have been fired or left. Just don't do it
Cool Products and Technology
Former Employee - Editorial (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 26, 2016
I was in charge of providing editorial support on the scientific journals that were submitted. The work was challenging and at times very complex and I enjoyed working through each project and determining the best way to present the information in a readable and easy to understand manner. The staff I worked along side were competent and friendly.
Pros
I came here for the idea the company was based on... I worked in the Editorial department.
Cons
Not much to say but I seen more cohesion between different departments and groups.
Good Culture, Good Balance, Great Benefits
Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 14, 2016
I think the best part about working here is the work-life balance, the benefits, and the coworkers.

I've been working at this company for a few years, and I've never been asked to work after hours or on weekends. I also am very impressed with the benefit plans - JoVE pays 95-100% of the premium on the individual health and dental insurance.

Culture is generally good, and its getting better with time. Used to be a little clique-y with a lot of negative gossip a few years ago, but that has largely subsided and the environment in the office is much more relaxed and friendly than it used to be.

Another pro is working at a company that is creating and selling a genuinely innovative and unique product.
Pros
Excellent medical/dental plans, convenient location, work life balance
Cons
High turnover in some departments
Good First Job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 21, 2016
This was my first job out of college and had no idea what to expect since I hadn't worked at a real company in my life. I think the salary was commensurate with my skills and experience and I learned a lot about both the industry and how to work in a fast pace sales environment.
Pros
Hours and people
Cons
More comprehensive training for new sales members
A toxic work environment- low pay, no job security, and terrible management
Associate Editor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 21, 2015
Working at JoVE is a miserable experience which I can boil down to three main reasons:

1. The work itself is extremely dull and frustrating. If you are in editorial, you are essentially a sales person. Your job is to call scientists and beg them to publish with JoVE, which costs them a huge amount of money, Scientists generally think this is ridiculous and a waste of money. As an editor, if you don't make at least 10 "sales" per month, you are fired. No questions asked. As an editorial assistant, you are essentially spamming scientists with emails from JoVE trying to convince them to publish.

2. Management is extremely frustrated, with no transparency and little respect for employees. If you like to be micro-managed, sit through pointless meetings, and have absolutely no voice, then go ahead and work at JoVE. Day-to-day, one of the worst parts of the job is tip-toeing around and trying to avoid your manager staring over your shoulder or dragging you into the office for a "pep talk." There is no true leadership. Also, because people are fired almost every week for having low numbers, there is a constant fear of being fired and the management makes it very clear that everyone is replaceable (why do you think there are constantly job postings on this site?)

3. The pay is ridiculously low. Try living in Boston on about 25k. It's not fun. Everyone who works at JoVE is broke (except management) and many have to work second jobs just to get by.

Hold out for a better job. Working at JoVE is a miserable experience.
Lots of opportunity for experience; unsettlingly bad management
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 5, 2014
Great work/life balance, great benefits, great people. However management is manic, job tasks can change at any moment, and consequently it's all too common to have multiple people fired in a day, and suddenly, without any notice. Even for middle managers. The only thing great here is that because it's a start-up, you can propose new projects and gain experience from those projects before you move on in your career.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
CEO's social incompetence and baffling management style

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JoVE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8