Joy Global Employee Reviews in United States

Joy fired me after 20 years as supervisor
Machine operator/ Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winfield, ALMarch 24, 2016
I was employed Continental\Joy Global 20 years but because of bad management I was relieved of my duties as a supervisor. Salary reductions are to blame for not only me but several of my co workers.
I was only 3 years from retirement when I lost my job and had to start over at the age of 59. This company was so much better as Continental Conveyer.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
HR and some of management
Was a good job
welder fitter (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAApril 4, 2016
I have worked for Joy for over 21 Years and have seen alot of changes, some good some bad but over all its been a good place to work. A typical workday would begin around 630am. I would arrive slightly early begin my day reviewing what had to be done for the day and deciding on how I was going to do it. Most of the day was spent welding and fitting, assisting coworkers , finding parts ,reading prints and conferring with management.
My coworkers came from different backgrounds and different localities around pa. Most were easy to get along with a few were not, but like anything else you take the good with the bad and find away to make your day productive despite any set backs.
The hardest part of my job was waiting for parts which I seemed to happen all the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was problem solving.
Management always had their hands tied else where , which left us doing alot of the problem solving ourseleves.
Pros
working with good people
Cons
management
Great company
Armature Winder - Logistics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 9, 2016
Good company with great benefits definally a place i could retire from but the job security prevents most from having stability
Pros
Great pay
Cons
job security
In flux right now
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 11, 2016
Economy has the company trying to stay afloat. Too many layoffs, not a safe bet you will have a job in 3 months.
They have an awesome 401k plan.
Pros
Compensation benefits
Cons
Job Security
Very good place to work
Manufacturing Engineer/Tool Manager (Current Employee) –  Brook Park, OHDecember 10, 2015
A typical day at Joy:
Find out what ECM`s came out, change CNC programs to meet the ECM. If it is and ECW , find out where the part is running and change the running program to meet the ECM. Pull next run part programs , make sure all edits and ECM`s are current and release them to run
Check in daily at Tool Room to make sure the Tool Crib Attendant is working on upcoming run jobs (as far as tool lists). Check to make sure nothing needs to be ordered or re-ordered.
Help solve any quality Issues on the Issues Log
Pros
always room for advancement, atomosphere was always nice
Cons
when they decided to close the Brook Park Div.
good place to work until it shutdown
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAMarch 31, 2016
Joy was a good place to work until the coal industry slowed down and mining companies stopped buying new machines. Management was the main problem due to not listening to employee ideas on how to improve the work flow
Very productive and a great place to work
Electrical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXNovember 30, 2015
I loved this job. It was fast pace always rush,rush,rush. I learned some inside wiring. Management treated everyone the same.My coworkers and myself worked as a team. The hardest part about my job was having to go to the restroom,being such a fast pace job, that put a burden on your co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is that for the most part. We all got along.
Pros
They would have you working over sometimes unexpextedly
Cons
Breaks were too short when trying to get food in the microwave
Was a Great place to work.
Welder/Fabricator/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Bluefield VaSeptember 16, 2015
Great bunch of people to work with. Management and employees were very nice. Excellent Benefits. you would come in each day knowing what you had to do. there was no hard part about this job. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people you worked with.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Good place to work at for Experienced Machinist
Mentor, Oh (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHApril 9, 2016
Maintaining communication with floor supervisors on which job is crucial to run next. Then organize the measuring tools to completely and effectively to measure the key dimensions on parts. Set up machine according to the set-up sheet. Produce parts and definitely ensure 1st piece conforms to blueprint 100% and then run the lot while maintaining optimum machining operations and maintain machine work area.
Pros
good vacation, good pay and paid lunch, great benefits
Cons
multi shift operation
Great Company
Advanced Automation Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WiDecember 30, 2015
Over all Joy Global is a great company to work for and has provided a great opportunity for me in my career. Unfortunately, with the timing of my graduation and the downfall of the commodities market Joy Global is downsizing let alone hiring new employees.
Management and support staff need help
Welder- Welding (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 21, 2015
They really need to get a handle on their manufacturing processes. They've been making their shovels for a long time and are just now creating standardization for work processes. The work is challenging and at times very physically taxing, but they pay well and have good benefits. Haven't done any time studies in over a decade and don't have a real grasp on what rates should be. They're just fine with guestimating. We'll see if it stays that way or if they are going to bust up the union to lower wages and benefits.
Pros
community outreach programs, pay, benefits
Cons
lack of process improvement, physically taxing, lack work structure
Productive, communicator, No Non Sense team builder
Operational Excellence Leader (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 20, 2016
- Directs entire operation, very hands on
- Eliminations of work and process improvement using Lean Technology
- Well like and respected by co workers
- Did not like lack of presence by upper management
- Enjoyed team building and reaching assigned goals.
Pros
Increasing company contribution yearly
Cons
Lack of measurement by upper management
Loved the job, to many ups and downs
EHS Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 12, 2016
Joy Global was a great place to work, but being a supplier of mining equipment and service we had to rely on the mines to grow. With the down market in mining survival mode we had to turn to. Very hard to live day to day not knowing if you will have a job tomorrow. Had a vert strong team for safety.
Pros
benefits, great coworkers, pay
Cons
mining market, job security
JoyGlobal had a gym that could be used by all employees and their family.
Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMay 4, 2016
Daily reports and reviews, daily department safety meeting and audits. Great management staff and co-workers. the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to conduct safety training classes.
Pros
Great pay, work hours, and benifits
Cons
due to economy large fluxuation in sales
good pay but alot of traveling
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Culloden, WVApril 24, 2016
job started great really enjoyed the company and felt appreciated, management changed and everything else did as well. after management changed you were just a number in the company and didn't get treated the same unless you were a suck.
in general a good place to work in the past, not so much more recently
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lovely, KYApril 28, 2016
Good co-workers. No room for advancement. Upper mgt doesn't have clue about the industry. Facility was nice and appropriate for the type of business. Good bonuses when we got them
Pros
good working hours
Cons
upper mgt
Joy Global is a good place to work
Group Leader/CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHMay 6, 2016
Joy Global is a very good place to work. The pay is great and the work environment is conducive to learning and wanting to do better.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, safe environment
Cons
The coal business has taken a downturn
Very nice place to work
Manufacturing Engineer/Tool Manager (Former Employee) –  Brook Park, OHMay 19, 2016
They try to keep everybody informed but sometimes a little slow. They keep the machines up to date, and the different locations doing different process`s
Pros
coal mining machines
Cons
coal
Great environment, Safe working conditions
Electrical Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Duffield, VAJune 9, 2016
Joy Global is a great company to work for and you can't beat the group of co-workers. Everyone is safety conscious, they have monthly safety dinners and prize give-a- ways.
It WAS a great place to work
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 17, 2016
The company is closing its doors and moving their operation to another country. It was a great place to work and I was proud of the products I made - big mineing equipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Joy Global. Our community is ready to answer.