JOY GLOBAL

JOY GLOBAL Employer Reviews

I injoyed working at Joy Global the people were very skilled and resorceful. The product was one of a kind and a tribute to the mining industry.
Group Leader, Weld Shop (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIDecember 9, 2014
Pros: great benitfits
Cons: none that i can think of.
Joy Global challenged myself to think on my feet and to solve day to day problems as they arose. Daily I had to follow up on the priority jobs, handle union problems and enter the time and attendance into the computer. Some of the biggest problems I faced in a day was having all the parts and people to work the hot jobs. My co-workers were always on hand to help resolve some of these problems, it was always fun and challenging. The best part of my job was working with the union work force to get the job done right and on time.
Joy Global, perhaps the worst company to work for.
Engineer (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 9, 2014
Pros: ok wages and good benefits
Cons: the worst managers work at joy
If you are looking to work at Joy Global, please make sure you have exhausted all other possibilities. Bagging groceries, mowing lawns, McDonald's are all better paths to take. You will be treated better working most anywhere else. HR and management are a complete waste of space. Joy hires mostly incompetent managers.

It is a engineering sweatshop. It takes days just to get a simple drawing released. Management is clueless on how to run a company. My six year old has more management skills than most of the managers at Joy. To be qualified to be a manager, no need to get an education on leadership. However, the non-HR and non-management employees are friendly. It is hard to tell who is actually accomplishing work, though, because of how poorly managed the groups are.

You don't want to be on the wrong side of history working for or promoting a company that is involved in coal mining when there is clean burning natural gas.
Good opportunity to learn
Group Leader (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 1, 2014
This company holds quite a bit of opportunity to develop yourself and is a sandbox for business development. If you are motivated and willing to take the lead on progressing, there is vast opportunity to excel. However, the political landscape consists of individuals who are risk adverse or who are always looking to tell you why something can't be done. Also, due to the size, it can be difficult to track who is the person assigned to a specific task which delays getting things done quickly. Overall, a good place to call home.
Wonderful company for work experience
Student Engineer (Former Employee), Franklin PAJuly 15, 2014
Great experiences while learning in college. Ability for training is there for those who seek it out.
Small company feel with teams working closely together.
Global Component Tracking System Manager (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 9, 2014
Pros: groups and community outreach programs
Cons: long hours required
I have worked my way through several groups and management levels. Someone with drive to succeed can move up in this company.
Decent Company
Field Service Engineer II (Current Employee), Mount Vernon, ILJune 9, 2014
Long hours without compensation or overtime pay. Time spent from home is not compensated either.
booming company that hit an economic decline in production
Group Leader (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIFebruary 10, 2014
I was a leader of a union workforce. On a daily basis I worked with my employees to make rates at the best cost effective way utilizing lean manufacturing and standard work initiatives. The hardest part of my job was knowing what had to be done but not having the upper management support to follow thru. I am a team player so my co workers and I got along very well and most tended to lean on me for support and knowledge. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the results of my kaizen events and standard work initiatives that I implemented.
when people wanted to work as a team it was good
plate conditioning journey- buffer coordinator- (Former Employee), Longview, TXJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: watch your back
have some people that don't understand there no i in team very busy but over all a good place to work
High Pace Enviroment
Buyer (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 11, 2013
Pros: flexibal schedule
Cons: contract work
Great Manager, but this was only a contract position. What I took away from this position is that you can go into an area of Business that you have not worked before and be very successful. I learned a new skill to add to my resume. I really enjoyed my time working as a buyer and would consider strongly doing this type of work again. I was grateful for the opportunity.
Great Pay
Night Shift Quality Inspector (Current Employee), brookpark ohioOctober 28, 2013
Pros: pay, lunch events
Cons: job security
overall its a great place to make money but the coal indutry is not doing to good so they are suffering as a result
good union job.
Heat Treater/Storekeeper (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 2, 2013
Pros: union shop
Cons: poor management and layoffs.
pay is great. benefits are pretty good alot of overtime available when the company is busy. only down fall is they have major layoffs everytime the mining industry slows down and call backs may take years.
Joy Global is great to work for. A typical manufacturer, however.
Electrical Draftsman (Former Employee), Franklin, PASeptember 12, 2013
Pros: decent pay for the area. interesting work.
Cons: rounds of extreme hiring and then large layoffs are the norm, don't leave a steady job to work here for more money.
Joy Global has engineering, IT and business support needs as well as manufacturing processes. The underground mining division (Joy as opposed to above ground P&H) tends to hire people quickly to get projects completed and then lays off same during the first down turn.

Therefore job security is spotty at best.
A descent company with a variety of equipment to learn
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee), Longview, TexasAugust 20, 2013
Pros: paid lunch break
Cons: low wages
I am learning a lot of things that I have not worked on before. The constant fear of layoffs have driven me to search for another job.
Good company to work for with adequate benefits.
Welder III Fabricator (Former Employee), Millersburg, KYJuly 28, 2013
Pros: family environment
Cons: dusty environment
Productive work facility. Enjoyed the welding and work. The safety goals met lunches were a plus and always welcomed. Every day was a challenge and rewarding working with people who had the same love of welding and fabricating as I have.
Great Place to Work!!
MRP Controller (Current Employee), Franklin, PAJuly 1, 2013
I really enjoy my job. It is a place that my spouse and parents also work at.
Overall good company to work for
Production Control Coordinator / Manager S.P. (Former Employee), Longview TexasJune 12, 2013
Pros: put safety as priority one for employees
Cons: benefits
Safety was priority one, good work environment with friendly co-workers. Produced daily production schedules for shop floor, maintained DBR+ (theory of constraints Drum Buffer Rope) scheduler.
good wages bad management
Machinist Technician (Current Employee), millersburgMarch 6, 2013
Pros: wages co workers
Cons: everything else
good co workers bad management in office worst thing lack of communication.
7 y. at joy global
Cutter III (Former Employee), Longview, TXMarch 5, 2013
Pros: it was a good job
I work in the cutting dept. uesing a saw,shear and moving parts on a forklift
Good group of guys
Electronic Technician (Current Employee), Longview, TXJanuary 8, 2013
Testing world's largest four wheeled loader, cranes, crane houses, crane cabs, etc...
Great experience working with senior management
Operations Analyst (Former Employee), Warrendale, PANovember 7, 2012
Loved the people I worked with
Everyone cares about their coworkers
Management is very understanding