JOY MINING MACHINERY Employee Reviews in United States

Good Team
Warehouser (Former Employee) –  Duffield, VAApril 27, 2016
Good people, good product, great compensation. Had a chance to learn new skills and achieve higher standard of self worth.
Internship
Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAOctober 20, 2015
Solid internship experience. Given a lot of freedom and flexibility to learn as much as possible. I would highly recommend anyone interested in Joy Mining.
I enjoy working here, but like anywhere else it is not perfect.
CNC MILL OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Franklin, PANovember 8, 2013
I operate a 5 " Horizontal boring mill. Mostly we run larger parts, averaging 2 to 3 hour run times. Supervisors generally leave you alone unless you need them.
Pros
overtime usually available but never forced, above average compensation
Cons
up & down industry, cnc programming extremely poor, way to much editing when proving out these programs., there is a group of co-workers nearing retirement, that create a lot of unnecessary friction between the union and the company.
I have not been there long enough the rate.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, PAMay 25, 2012
I have not been there long enough the rate. I like it so far. The day are long. I have learned much thus far. Management is great! The co-workers are friendly.
Pros
go pay and i get to develop software
Cons
poor health care benefits
Productive and rewarding workplace with highly skilled workers
Electrical Component Assembler (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAJuly 28, 2015
Build very sturdy control systems for underground mining equipment.
Work closely with Engineering Department and Quality control to make sure workmanship meets high standards.
Co -workers always available to lend a helping hand.
A good place to work but very dependant on the coal market for job security.
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Duffield, VASeptember 2, 2013
Joy is a very good place to work with decent benefits and good retirement programs.
Friendly, professional work place that offered good work/life balance.
Supply Chain Coordinator/Expediter (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAOctober 18, 2012
A typical day at Joy included all aspects of material procurement required to support manufacturing. I would physically check inventory levels, place and expedite orders, manage production schedules and tracking reports, attend meetings and report to my superiors. I learned a lot about what is required to keep a global manufacturing company operating smoothly and efficiently, as well as a lot about the information systems required to manage such large volumes of information; we used SAP and a wide variety of Microsoft Office applications to process the information, enabling me to become very profficient using both platforms. Most of my co-workers were between the ages of 40 and 60, although there were still a good number of young adults in the office. In general, everyone was very pleasent and I got along well with all of them. The hardest part of the job was not having the authority I needed to get things done at an optimally efficient rate. Whenever I had to get a superior to sign off on one of my decisions it naturally slowed down the process. However, I understood the need for checks and balances so it never bothered me much. By far the most enjoyable part of my job was receiving a "highly critical" task, devoting 100% of my attention to it and completing it quickly and correctly.
Pros
friendly environment, fast paced, lunch/dinner with clients
Cons
no benefits, less-than full utilization of technology available
Great place to work and make a career of.
Hydraulic Repairman (Former Employee) –  Wellington, UTJanuary 23, 2013
Consider yourself very fortunate to have employment with this company if given the chance because it was the best job I ever had. Not one bad thing to say about this employer.
Pros
benefit package is great, optional overtime, triple pay on holidays, double time on sundays, good crew, job stability, good pay, awesome bonus incentives, indoors, help with schooling
Steady Workplace
MRP Controller (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PADecember 11, 2012
A typical day at work involved me inputting data for outsourced/subcontracting work. I learned about the SAP system which I didn't have the opportunity to use before Joy. My co-workers were pleasant and we enjoyed the occasional rib. The hardest part of the job was waiting. In our business, there were days where the workload was incredible and I was busy all day and then there were days where I had to search for work to do. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that it was a relaxed environment for the most part.
Fast-paced but great working environment
Temp Office Assistant-Sales Dept (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILSeptember 12, 2014
This position offered many new and challenging skills, which I enjoyed. I learned about warranties and sales, and what was involved in creating mining machinery. Again, this was a temporary position. I wish I could have stayed longer.
A productive workplace with a lot of good, skilled people
Welder Technician (Former Employee) –  Millersburg, KYSeptember 2, 2013
I was typically brought new or particularly challenging projects by my supervisor, because he knew I would do an accurate and cosmetically pleasing job on them. My supervisor was fair and had good relations with the floor workers.
Pros
company paid for luncheons once every accident-free month
Cons
short breaks, hours could be long
Large company
Admin Data Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAOctober 7, 2013
Strict 8:00 to 5:00 working day. Working on SAP systems. Management micro-managed everyone's work.
Cons
dirty environment with mining equipment
A nice fun place to work
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Solon, OHFebruary 10, 2013
ive learned how to put safety first, and be aware of hazards.if theres issues.there resolved in a timely manner between managment and employee.
Pros
free lunches every month if theres no recordable injuries for that month
Cons
point system- 1 point doesnt fall off till the same month next year
Love my job!
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, PAFebruary 14, 2014
I love working for JOY. The people are awesome and the company is great! There is no better company to work for in my eyes!
Pros
great people all over the world!
Cons
no cons!!
Good place to work for just unorganized
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAAugust 28, 2012
loved working there except for disorganization and part issues
Pros
disorginization
Cons
helpful and knowledgable co-workers
not bad
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, VAMarch 12, 2014
It was ok at times but hated working night shift. For the most part everyone was pretty nice.