Juvenile Detention Center Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Company and Staff
Internship (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2015
Juvenile Detention Center is a excellent work environment that enhanced my skills in leadership, supervision, and professionalism. Working at this company improved my communication, listening, and team work proficiencies. At this company I also learned to balance multiple personalities from staff and children.
Pros
hours, staff ad support
Cons
slow paced at times
Juvenile Detention Center was very challenging.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasSeptember 16, 2015
I enjoyed teaching there most of the time, even though I saw some very sad cases. The students I worked with were at-risk. Some refused to work, and others did cooperate. It was a mixture of grade levels, ages and background.
Pros
The classes were small.
Cons
Some students refused to work.
Very supportive co workers
Registrar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, TXSeptember 13, 2015
Very enjoyable company to work for. All of us worked together as a TEAM. I have great customer service skills as well computer and communication skills
Pulaski County Juvenile Detention Center
Volunteer Mentor to juvenile delinquents (Current Employee) –  3001 W. Roosevelt Road Little Rock Arkansas 72204May 10, 2015
At work, I learned how to deal with customers professionally, how to accept my co-worker's ideas and comments without letting it influence me either way. The hardest part of my job was standing up for 6-7 hours straight before I got used to doing so. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting people.
Pros
I like working with the children
Cons
The issues concerning the children's incarceration
interesting place
Detention Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lafayette LAJuly 15, 2015
i enjoyed working for the center
my only mistake while working there was having my cellphone on me while in the building
the workers there are friendly but strict with the kids
good place
o Juvenile Group Worker On Call (Current Employee) –  klamath FallsJuly 6, 2015
Fun, easy work directions and regulations are clear enough work to keep you busy and not get bored. great place for when you are in school or a second job. not many full time positions
ok place to work if you think you can save the world
Youth Aid Counsellor (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJApril 25, 2015
must be alert and street smart to work there.

management was pleasant
I learned to always be alert

Hardest part of job is knowing some of the kids did not belong there and there was nothing that can be done about it.
Pros
pension and promotion
Cons
to many double shifts
Fun workplace
Assistant Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 22, 2015
Work with juvenile's in a secure, locked facility. Engage and ensure safety. Management, and co-workers are great, everyone is always willing to help one another.
Calm
JDC Staff (Former Employee) –  ArkansasApril 6, 2015
Overnight shift was always the calmest. There will always be the unexpected scenarios and that was great too; but I truly enjoyed the space and opportunity for independent work.
Pros
structure and job security
Cons
Snow days meant 15hrs to 20hrs shifts
intresting workplace
INTERNSHIP HORIZON (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 19, 2014
I enjoyed working with teens and learning about there differences. My supervisor was great in explaining and teaching me what I needed to know. The hardest part was when you had to tell the juveniles that their call time was up. I enjoy game time with them and speaking to them.
Pros
n/a
Cons
short breaks
Very rewarding experiance working with the youth. Able to monitor the recidivisom rate of the juvenile's.
Receiving and Release Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 27, 2014
Very fast pace,I learned to multi-task. I did a good job when it came to my management of my personnel when I was left in charge.The most challenging part of the job was not knowing what to expect in terms of behavior issues from the residents.
Pros
being able to turn a child's life around from a life of crime
Cons
seeing the youth return to the system
Enjoyable job because I felt I was a positive influence for the youth.
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHMarch 12, 2014
Did all paperwork needed for the day. I learned to multi-task. I feel I did a great job when it came to my management of my personnel when I was left in charge. My management didn't have to stay on me because they knew I would get my job done. Dealing with some of the issues some of the youth had feeling that taking there life was the only way out was the hardest part. Doing what I needed to so I could try to be a positive influence on the youth. Helping them look at life from a different point of view.
Different everyday
Juvenile Correctional Officer IV, Captain (Former Employee) –  Columbia, S.C.January 14, 2014
Numerous responsibilities being the Chief of Security. Usually started the day with Orientatin for new arrivals. This position too, I worked with juveniles between the ages of 12 and 16 years old. I then had to Supervise staff and monitor the daya to day security operations of the facility, ensure the facility was inspection ready and impose or sign off on corrective actions. The most difficult part of the job was not knowing what to expect from my supervisor and being micro managed.
great place to work
Detention Officer / PT Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 30, 2014
get head count at beginning of shift, shower them. breakfast, school. if inmate has court hearing get them ready for deputy. held up to 26 inmates. we had boys and girls. several different counties we helped. we did intake, psych eval on new inmate, if failed called shawnee mental health. was a great place to work.
Pros
small, family like place to work
Cons
pay
Can be a fun as well as flexible place to work.
Juvenile Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 31, 2013
Can be a fun place to work with some advancement opportunities for well qualified individuals. A great doorway to other correctional jobs. The pay isn't all that great though. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the worst "problem children" Nashville has to offer, but it's really rewarding when you're able to build a positive rapport with the teenagers and watch the change in their attitude when you take the time out to listen.
Cons
the pay is below average.
Corrections
Juvenile Detention Officer I (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 21, 2013
Maintain 24 hour, 7 days a week observation of all youths in our custody. Provide three meals a day, clean clothes, and medical care if needed. Transport youths to different locations such as Programs, Courts, and Hospitals. Conduct inspirational groups called TAG, Short Term Group, Arise, and have local church groups come and speak.
Pros
you learn how the life styles are for each kid.
Cons
stressful
Productive and rewarding place to work
Assessment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Urbana,IllinoisJanuary 11, 2013
I learned to be very balanced while dealing with a variety of assessments pertainting to adolescence in trouble with the criminal justice system. Also teens who had substance abuse issues stemming from different problems occuring inside and outside of the home.
Pros
empowering the youths to change.
Cons
repeat offenders who you thought was on the right path.
I was productive as an English teacher at the Juvenile Detention Center.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 26, 2013
I was able to teach English to students who abhor school. Students enjoyed my class and they looked forward to learning. I was successful at having 80% of my students pass the Standard of Learning tests. (SOL's)
Pros
i got free lunch.
Cons
i could have a different class every day. sometimes i felt locked up too.
Blessing!!!
Community Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moberly, MOApril 27, 2013
Typical work day for was spent with juveniles. I assigned hours and locations to complete hours.I also mentored juveniles on my own time. It was a true blessing. Being able to be a help, a positive male romodel in their lives. Had to move out of town for school. Miss the job
Pros
working with the youth, the staff. being a romodel
Cons
had to move
Great Learning Experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLDecember 28, 2014
I was a intern at the at DJJ and it was a great experience. I was able to learn different tactics and use that towards my schooling.