JW Aluminum Employee Reviews

Able to balance work and life goals
Director of Planning and Scheduling (Former Employee) –  Mount Holly, SCAugust 26, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job has been the constant learning and changing of roles and responsibilities. I thrive on business improvements and moving the business to new levels. The technology with today's ERP systems is both rewarding and challenging and I enjoy both faucets. The thrill of diving into a current process along with my colleagues to find a solution that improves their work life and the companies bottom line is my definition of a successful workday.
The company still struggles to with changing the culture but are on their way to something great. The current marketplace has thrown them a curve ball but I am confident they will do all they can to stay in the game.
Pros
Fast Paced, embracing change
Cons
Too many directions, unable to complete current taks before moving to next
Heavy industrial environment
Shift Electrician (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek SCAugust 8, 2015
Good company in general. Nature of process lent itself to requirement for constant safety awareness. Fires were fairly common. Very hot environment due to presence of molten metal and processes produsing heat. Very dusty and oily. Rotating shifts challenging on family life.
Pros
excellent compensation
Cons
Difficult environment (heat)
Advacement Possibilities
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJuly 22, 2015
Overall it is not a bad place to work. Like every where else management needs better people skills. Most everyone is easy to work with and able to get along.
Benefits
Cons
Odd shift schedule
great place to learn how to work with hydraulics and pneumatics if you dont already know
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJuly 13, 2015
same as above... very hot enviroment and oily conditions you learn the most from working with other employees that working by your self
good pay
Oilroom Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJuly 3, 2015
Hot and dirty. Some of the best people work the floor at JWA. It's hard work sometimes, the swing shift schedule Has good and bad aspects to it! Top management has no sense of reality when it comes to the conditions on the floor. All in all it's a good paying job with lot's of days off, and teammates that become family!!
Gained a great deal of knowledge
Shift Electrician / HVACR (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARDecember 10, 2014
This work was a hot place to work in the summer but the knowledge I gained made it worth it. They allowed me to attend the Electrical apprenticeship class to work towards getting my journeyman electrical license.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
hot place to work in the summer
Has its Pros and Cons
management (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJune 19, 2014
Great upper leadership with a very motivational view of the future of the company.
Pros
great upper leadership with a very motivational view of the future of the company.
Cons
as with most work places you see your fair share of politics.
Horrible work conditions! New management has no clue, I'll be surprised if the company lasts five more years.
Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCMay 8, 2014
worst work environment you can imagine. morale is so low throughout the entire company that everyone hates being there anymore. new management is running the plant in the ground. not to mention that they will threaten your job over the smallest issues. very stressful place to work now. seven or eight years ago it was a great place to work. they treated everyone with respect and the employees actually enjoyed working there. As much as you can expect to like a job I mean. they cut the benefits and now you can forget about working hard to increace advancement. the way things are now I wouldn't advise anyone to come work here. but if you like getting treated poorly, working like a dog and treated like a child then this is the place for you. I've never seen someone (management) take something simple that has worked so well for 20+ years and change it all around to where you have new work procedures every other week. you'd think after the second few million pounds of finished product was returned a light would go off letting you know maybe our new ways aren't the best way to go. I could go on and on but who has the time. I don't want you to think that I'm just one sour employee who sucks at his job and must get more abuse than most. thats not the case at all, I'm well liked and great at my job. if you can talk to anyone else that works or has worked here they will all tell you the same. You're just a number to these people, and one that can be replaced at the drop of a hat. It's sad really, it's a game around here to see who can get out first and find a good job. But that's just my  more... opinion.  less
Pros
you get a lot of time off, plus a full week off every month.
Cons
working night shift, long 12 hr shifts, and the worst is it's so hot & dirty!
Fast-paced job
Slitter (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARMarch 4, 2014
The job was fast paced and I really enjoyed that. A typical day was running the fork lift and paperwork.
Pros
good supervisor's
Cons
rotating shift changes
Great group of employees
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  St. Louis MOFebruary 27, 2014
The employees here treat you like family. The team of individuals are very dedicated to their work. The job can get dirty but it is always something new and exciting. No two days are alike.
production
machine operator/crane man (Current Employee) –  st.louis mo.January 30, 2014
its a good place to work but it's slowing down and loosing hours and having layoffs.
Pros
union healthcare
Cons
union dues
ok place to work great pay but the management was horrible
Melting Operator (Current Employee) –  russellville Ar.January 8, 2014
easy job all in all the hardest part would have to be cleaning out the furnace. it required using a forklift picking up the dross pans, placing them under the door, and raking out the impurities.
Pros
great pay for being at home
Cons
schedual
Productive and Hazardous work environment
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCDecember 5, 2013
The hardest part of the job would be the heat, because it is an Aluminum factory. The easiest would be the fork lifting. I worked night shift and received proper breaks. I took direction from my supervisor and executed them well.
Enjoyable job but made promises they didn't keep.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJune 18, 2013
Posted purchase orders. Compared purchase orders to invoices. Billed customers. Weekly payroll review and posting. Month end close duties.
Dynamic organization with desire to grow
Corporate Lean Deployment Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Holly, SCMay 14, 2013
Proactive organization with a vision for a secure future in partnership with a growth strategy to become the leader in the industry
Good summer position
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 30, 2013
I was working under the lean deployment manager. I learned quite a bit about Lean Six Sigma. The best part was working on the preventative maintenance project.
Careful_Private equity owned
Product Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCApril 13, 2013
Good work environment, great pay, good management, but just a small player in the industry, hence vulnerable...Job can end anytime.
Productive fun place to work
Caster Operator (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCFebruary 28, 2013
Very hot and dirty, but that normal for that kind of place. Management was the worst.
Pros
great pay and time off from work
Cons
bad for health
Work people until they cant work anymore.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2013
never worried about the product as long as it went out the door. There is no communication and they don't work in the WIN system they try to preach.
Cons
long hours and no communication
Mill operator
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 8, 2013
It was a good place to work. Machinist union local 9.
management was horrible. they was quanity over quality. Great benifits