JW Aluminum Employee Reviews

highly productive work enviornment
Holder operator (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCNovember 29, 2016
Swing shift operation,work 15 days out of the month night and days. 12 hour shifts intense heat. Must take pride in your job in order to be effective and help move the company forward.
Pros
overtime availability
Cons
swing shift work takes you away from the family
Good money and benefits but poor management and stressful
Mill Operator/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJune 30, 2016
A typical work day at JW Aluminum is hot, noisy, dirty, dangerous, and stressing.
I learned a lot about how aluminum is processed and how to operate other heavy equipment.
My co-workers were not team working members and very self centered.
The hardest part about JW Aluminum is talking to your HR about a problem without getting in trouble and it was also hard if you was African American because of the racist people there.
The most enjoyable part about the job was the money i earned.
Pros
Good money and vacation
Cons
Poor management, racist management, poor security and poor employee services
Productive workplace with opportunity to learn
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCAugust 27, 2015
JW offers a great work schedule for their corporate employees which includes weekends off. There are many departments within the corporate offices and everyone I came in contact with seemed to be friendly people who genuinely enjoyed their jobs. A typical day at work could be very demanding depending on the circumstances. The ability to multitask is a must. Communication was necessary and the company made great efforts to streamline the communication process. They are an evolving company and understood that change is necessary to stay competitive. My co-workers were amazing. They were a little hard around the edges at first but once I got to know them they had such warm hearts. I would say my co-workers were the best part of my job. The hardest part of my job waiting on others for follow up. I learned a great deal about Aluminum and the Aluminum Industry while working at JW.
Pros
Great work schedule, friendly team, good benefits
Not bad work, terrible schedule.
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ARJanuary 3, 2017
Work 2-3-2, the only issue is night shift works Saturday thru Monday. This means that every Saturday your either getting off or going in.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Schedule
A good place to start
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PASeptember 22, 2016
Not bad but not good if u want to improve and move up in the company. If you are a hard worker then you should be ok if u like drama every day from management..
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Bad management
load and unload trailers plus transport raw and finished goods
Dock Worker/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PANovember 29, 2016
Load trailers with finished goods to ship out. Unload raw goods coming in to the warehouse. Print BOLs for loads shipping out
Heavy industrial environment
Shift Electrician (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek SCAugust 8, 2015
Good company in general. Nature of process lent itself to requirement for constant safety awareness. Fires were fairly common. Very hot environment due to presence of molten metal and processes produsing heat. Very dusty and oily. Rotating shifts challenging on family life.
Pros
excellent compensation
Cons
Difficult environment (heat)
Advacement Possibilities
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJuly 22, 2015
Overall it is not a bad place to work. Like every where else management needs better people skills. Most everyone is easy to work with and able to get along.
Benefits
Cons
Odd shift schedule
Able to balance work and life goals
Director of Planning and Scheduling (Former Employee) –  Mount Holly, SCAugust 26, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job has been the constant learning and changing of roles and responsibilities. I thrive on business improvements and moving the business to new levels. The technology with today's ERP systems is both rewarding and challenging and I enjoy both faucets. The thrill of diving into a current process along with my colleagues to find a solution that improves their work life and the companies bottom line is my definition of a successful workday.
The company still struggles to with changing the culture but are on their way to something great. The current marketplace has thrown them a curve ball but I am confident they will do all they can to stay in the game.
Pros
Fast Paced, embracing change
Cons
Too many directions, unable to complete current taks before moving to next
Mill operator
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 8, 2013
It was a good place to work. Machinist union local 9.
management was horrible. they was quanity over quality. Great benifits
let you do you job
PLC & Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Russellville ar 777 Tylor roadMay 17, 2016
Check on what had broken down on shift before ordered parts. Made list of things we needed for my shift and layed out a plan for the men to follow to get work accomplished
Cons
24/7 on call, no break for 3 year
Horrible work conditions! New management has no clue, I'll be surprised if the company lasts five more years.
Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCMay 8, 2014
worst work environment you can imagine. morale is so low throughout the entire company that everyone hates being there anymore. new management is running the plant in the ground. not to mention that they will threaten your job over the smallest issues. very stressful place to work now. seven or eight years ago it was a great place to work. they treated everyone with respect and the employees actually enjoyed working there. As much as you can expect to like a job I mean. they cut the benefits and now you can forget about working hard to increace advancement. the way things are now I wouldn't advise anyone to come work here. but if you like getting treated poorly, working like a dog and treated like a child then this is the place for you. I've never seen someone (management) take something simple that has worked so well for 20+ years and change it all around to where you have new work procedures every other week. you'd think after the second few million pounds of finished product was returned a light would go off letting you know maybe our new ways aren't the best way to go. I could go on and on but who has the time. I don't want you to think that I'm just one sour employee who sucks at his job and must get more abuse than most. thats not the case at all, I'm well liked and great at my job. if you can talk to anyone else that works or has worked here they will all tell you the same. You're just a number to these people, and one that can be replaced at the drop of a hat. It's sad really, it's a game around here to see who can get out first and find a good job. But that's just  more... my opinion.  less
Pros
You get a lot of time off, plus a full week off every month.
Cons
Working night shift, long 12 hr shifts, and the worst is it's So HOT & DIRTY!
good pay
Oilroom Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJuly 3, 2015
Hot and dirty. Some of the best people work the floor at JWA. It's hard work sometimes, the swing shift schedule Has good and bad aspects to it! Top management has no sense of reality when it comes to the conditions on the floor. All in all it's a good paying job with lot's of days off, and teammates that become family!!
Work people until they cant work anymore.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2013
never worried about the product as long as it went out the door. There is no communication and they don't work in the WIN system they try to preach.
Cons
long hours and no communication
Quality and Balance
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PAMarch 23, 2012
JW Aluminum allows me to balance work and family. The work environment stresses quality without stressing out the employees.
Pros
security, advancement, excellent payscale
Cons
somewhat high healthcare costs, schedule changes
production
machine operator/crane man (Current Employee) –  st.louis mo.January 30, 2014
its a good place to work but it's slowing down and loosing hours and having layoffs.
Pros
union healthcare
Cons
union dues
Careful_Private equity owned
Product Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCApril 13, 2013
Good work environment, great pay, good management, but just a small player in the industry, hence vulnerable...Job can end anytime.
Productive work place and can be fun at times
Packer (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCAugust 3, 2012
This job is a great job for someone who doesnt have a great home life, its like a family there in some aspects but in other ways the hours and long shifts help with all the time off
Pros
great pay
Cons
bad work hours, short breaks, long shift
great place to learn how to work with hydraulics and pneumatics if you dont already know
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJuly 13, 2015
same as above... very hot enviroment and oily conditions you learn the most from working with other employees that working by your self
Has its Pros and Cons
management (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJune 19, 2014
Great upper leadership with a very motivational view of the future of the company.
Pros
Cons
as with most work places you see your fair share of politics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JW Aluminum. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7