K&L GATES Employee Reviews

Document services
Document Services (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 31, 2016
This 24 hour department is run like a circus. Management turnover is high. NO stability. NO respect. Initial pay is good but don't expect a raise. There is no training. Absolutely no room for advancement.The admin equivalent to working as a ditch digger.
Terrible work environment
Associate Attorney (Current Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 3, 2016
I am currently an associate at this firm.

TO FUTURE ASSOCIATES:
1. Lack of work - impossible to hit billable hours
2. Partners leaving
3. Management is ridiculous
4. This is a warning - look elsewhere
Pros
Cons
Think of one. This firm will have it
Productive and fun workplace
Litigation Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2016
Great place to make a career and learn from coworkers and staff. Opportunities for advancement are available if you work hard
Productive and nice place to work
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 23, 2016
I worked for K&L Gates in the Portland, Oregon office for three years, having been assigned during those years to various senior partners/associates in various disciplines from Real Estate Development to Banking and Asset Management to Energy, to FDA, to Employment, to Corporate, to Mergers and Acquisitions. I found my work to be rewarding, my cohorts to be pleasant and would recommend K&L Gates to any potential future employee.
Pros
Comaraderie among staff and attorneys were respectful.
Cons
My commute to downtown from a suburb.
Professional & Positive Environment
Main Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 20, 2015
I was a receptionist at K&L Gates for a brief period of time due to personal reasons. During my time there I was busy from the moment I walked in to the moment I walked out; answering phone calls, organizing files, calling in food orders for meetings, sending e-mails, directing employees to meetings, keeping the front desk tidy, etc. etc.
Everyone who I encountered while working at K&L Gates were amicable and most importantly professional.
The hardest part of the job was when all my tasks would come together at once. Even with Time & Project Management skills at times it was a bit overbearing but the job was always completed.
Pros
Professional Environment & Benefits
Cons
Too many Projects to be completed in a timed deadline
Downsizing, Pay Freezes, Poor Morale
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2014
The Chicago office has been downsizing in a major way for the past 5 years and it doesn't seem like a turnaround seems imminent. Many major practice groups have left and staff have had salaries frozen or cut for basically the entire period. (See recent articles in Above the Law about the partner defections). Morale is poor, people fear for their jobs, and the atmosphere is less than warm and fuzzy. Be very careful with any move here.
Pros
Free coffee (for now)
Cons
Pay freezes, poor morale, fear for job
getting worse by the day
staff (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PANovember 18, 2013
before 2008 it was a good place to work. after that they started expanding - beginning with 12 offices and ending with 44. Corporate greed is the gospel of this place. Christmas parties used to be elaborate - now a buffet in large conference room serving polish sausage and pierogies. Admin day (formerly secretary day) used to be large extravagant lunches with really nice gifts - recently was a packet of seeds and icecream. Raises are small if at all and they took 5 days off the more seniors employees. Don't go there.
Pros
few
Cons
no raises, no appreciation for job well done - won't have your back
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 4, 2015
I enjoy my job and my co-workers. I've learned a lot of professionalism from working here and I believe it will be very useful in the future.
Zero Job Security
Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2014
Word to the wise-- make sure that you like your starting salary, as you'll be living on it for awhile. staff at the Chicago office has not had a raise for 4 of the last 5 years, and bonuses were eliminated. More than half the lawyers have left the firm, and staff has been cut back drastically. (Many have had their hours and salaries cut also). Not a place to go if you're looking for job security.....
Pros
Short Work Days
Cons
Short Pay; No Job Security
What was learned
Senior Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 16, 2015
Great company. Work life balance is great and so is the PTO package.

I would recommend to anyone. Co-workers were great as well.
Going through changes
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  PittsburghNovember 10, 2014
Sr. Leadership seems to be in flux. There has been a new CIO, CFO and CHRO within the last two years. Through that, almost all the IT, accounting and HR folks have left. The law firm industry is very challenged right now and the global managing partner at K&L Gates seems to be grasping at straws.
Pros
Some great people
Cons
Disruptive industry; senior leadership
Not a good place to work!
Credit (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAApril 15, 2013
The firm continues to grow and merge and at the same time does not provide a cost of living raise to the employees nor has the employees received pay raise or bonus for a few years. The management continues to point their finger at the economy. It is a prime example of Corporate Greed!
Pros
the staff is superb!
good
Technical Support Analysts (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 23, 2015
this was a good place to work and was good location. pay was good. hours were good. i left because of the managers. good training and they worked with your schedule
Pros
pay
Cons
advancments
Nice place
Legal Assistant/ Temp (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 21, 2015
This is a very nice place to work. The people are very helpful. I see how everyone loves to do their job, due to how they treat their employees.
Fantastic Work environment
Application Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 17, 2014
I have never worked with a better group of individuals. I am constantly working with top tier talent and everyone pitches in on difficult issues.
IP Docket Technician (Current Employee) –  ChicagoSeptember 29, 2012
I enjoy working for this company. My coworkers are great and they really take an interest in you.
Pros
k&l takes in interest in you
Cons
a large workload with a small number of workers.
beutiful office fun work environment
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 8, 2012
I enjoyed working there. The attorneys were amazing, view was spectacular and so many perks.
Resume download
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 8, 2013
Desktop Support. Conferencing. Co workers were wonderful. Great position.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at K&L GATES. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7