K&L GATES Employee Reviews

Stressful work place
Employee (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 1, 2017
Working at K&l Gates was not a pleasant experience. The office was poorly managed which caused a very stressful and hostile work environment. They did not compensate well and there didn't seem to be any room for advancement
Challenging and interesting work but difficult people
Business Development (Current Employee) –  PAApril 16, 2017
For the most part I enjoyed the work as it was challenging and somewhat different everyday which kept it interesting. However, working with lawyers that have big egos can be frustrating even more so when they are condescending.

Communication from management is poor and they seem to change priorities on a yearly basis which can make your work feel worthless and under-appreciated.

Work/life balance is non-existent. Job culture is stark and awkward depending on which office you're located in. Pay was decent although I've heard it's on the low-end for law firms. Benefits were pitiful.
Pleasant work enviroment.
Senior Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 3, 2017
Comfortable work environment. Interaction with senior personnel positive.

Management provides information in a timely and appropriate manner.

Supportive team environment.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Stress of multiple deadlines.
High-volume preparation and processing of bills; sedentary
Billing/Finance (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 14, 2017
Constant work flow; all billers responsible for several different duties; some overtime required; management supportive and very involved in all aspects; kind co-workers but general overall negative attitude of employees
Professional team
Business Solutions Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Good group of people to work with. Very professional, but still can laugh. Everyone is helpful with getting new people up to speed.
Pros
Friendly, professional team
Cons
Budget issues - laid off too many necessary IT people
Great opportunities to learn and grown.
Legal & Business Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 9, 2017
There are a lot of very nice people working here and the work is interesting. Management keeps a firm grip on costs, so there's not a lot of fringe benefits, but that doesn't bother me.
Productive and fun workplace
Litigation Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2016
Great place to make a career and learn from coworkers and staff. Opportunities for advancement are available if you work hard
Document services
Document Services (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 31, 2016
This 24 hour department is run like a circus. Management turnover is high. NO stability. NO respect. Initial pay is good but don't expect a raise. There is no training. Absolutely no room for advancement.The admin equivalent to working as a ditch digger.
Good People But Boring Work
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 15, 2016
I enjoyed the professional staff of attorneys I worked with at K&L. However, most people did not seem to love their work. This may be more of a critique of attorneys in general, rather than the actual firm.
Terrible work environment
Associate Attorney (Current Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 3, 2016
I am currently an associate at this firm.

TO FUTURE ASSOCIATES:
1. Lack of work - impossible to hit billable hours
2. Partners leaving
3. Management is ridiculous
4. This is a warning - look elsewhere
Pros
Cons
Think of one. This firm will have it
Productive and nice place to work
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 23, 2016
I worked for K&L Gates in the Portland, Oregon office for three years, having been assigned during those years to various senior partners/associates in various disciplines from Real Estate Development to Banking and Asset Management to Energy, to FDA, to Employment, to Corporate, to Mergers and Acquisitions. I found my work to be rewarding, my cohorts to be pleasant and would recommend K&L Gates to any potential future employee.
Pros
Comaraderie among staff and attorneys were respectful.
Cons
My commute to downtown from a suburb.
Professional & Positive Environment
Main Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 20, 2015
I was a receptionist at K&L Gates for a brief period of time due to personal reasons. During my time there I was busy from the moment I walked in to the moment I walked out; answering phone calls, organizing files, calling in food orders for meetings, sending e-mails, directing employees to meetings, keeping the front desk tidy, etc. etc.
Everyone who I encountered while working at K&L Gates were amicable and most importantly professional.
The hardest part of the job was when all my tasks would come together at once. Even with Time & Project Management skills at times it was a bit overbearing but the job was always completed.
Pros
Professional Environment & Benefits
Cons
Too many Projects to be completed in a timed deadline
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 4, 2015
I enjoy my job and my co-workers. I've learned a lot of professionalism from working here and I believe it will be very useful in the future.
What was learned
Senior Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 16, 2015
Great company. Work life balance is great and so is the PTO package.

I would recommend to anyone. Co-workers were great as well.
Nice place
Legal Assistant/ Temp (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 21, 2015
This is a very nice place to work. The people are very helpful. I see how everyone loves to do their job, due to how they treat their employees.
good
Technical Support Analysts (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 23, 2015
this was a good place to work and was good location. pay was good. hours were good. i left because of the managers. good training and they worked with your schedule
Pros
pay
Cons
advancments
Fantastic Work environment
Application Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 17, 2014
I have never worked with a better group of individuals. I am constantly working with top tier talent and everyone pitches in on difficult issues.
Going through changes
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  PittsburghNovember 10, 2014
Sr. Leadership seems to be in flux. There has been a new CIO, CFO and CHRO within the last two years. Through that, almost all the IT, accounting and HR folks have left. The law firm industry is very challenged right now and the global managing partner at K&L Gates seems to be grasping at straws.
Pros
Some great people
Cons
Disruptive industry; senior leadership
Downsizing, Pay Freezes, Poor Morale
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2014
The Chicago office has been downsizing in a major way for the past 5 years and it doesn't seem like a turnaround seems imminent. Many major practice groups have left and staff have had salaries frozen or cut for basically the entire period. (See recent articles in Above the Law about the partner defections). Morale is poor, people fear for their jobs, and the atmosphere is less than warm and fuzzy. Be very careful with any move here.
Pros
Free coffee (for now)
Cons
Pay freezes, poor morale, fear for job
Zero Job Security
Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2014
Word to the wise-- make sure that you like your starting salary, as you'll be living on it for awhile. staff at the Chicago office has not had a raise for 4 of the last 5 years, and bonuses were eliminated. More than half the lawyers have left the firm, and staff has been cut back drastically. (Many have had their hours and salaries cut also). Not a place to go if you're looking for job security.....
Pros
Short Work Days
Cons
Short Pay; No Job Security